explain how a bull**** company with a name like one plus five can make a business out of smartphones as a newcomer please

other than child labour

Posted via CBX
    These little companies can be like the Ryan Air of smartphones. Not much infrastructure, no sales teams, no carrier relations, no advertising, etc.

An Enterprise or Government could never use them, but they don't care. They can sell enough to the end user by word of mouth.
    12-12-17 08:41 AM
    bb had no advertising *rofl*
    and their carrier relations were terrible!

Posted via CBX
    12-12-17 09:08 AM
    bb had no advertising *rofl*
    and their carrier relations were terrible!

Posted via CBX
    "No advertising."
    Never gets old here. 😸
    12-12-17 09:18 AM
    I don't know if BlackBerry Mobile will be successful, but I know they won't be successful by trying to win over consumers who are looking for the highest specs for the least money. There is simply no profit in that market segment. They could sell 20M phones and make less money than selling 1-2M devices like the KEYone and Motion.

For a small company, market share is far less important than gross profit per device.

The most import ant thing for BlackBerry Mobile right now is 1) be present in as many markets as possible; 2) establish relationships with distributors (carriers and retail); 3) get decent reviews to establish the brand's viability; and 4) don't lose too much money so that these efforts are sustainable.

At the point where they know retailers and carriers will support them, and their market research shows a substantial interest in the brand, THEN it might make sense to make a bigger bet on the market. And if that never happens, then they won't have lost too much money.

In the mean time, I'm very, very happy with my KEYone. My only complaint about it is that Android is less useful than BB10 for my actual work, but my KEYone rocks for Web browsing and apps.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-12-17 09:27 AM
    TCL and Blackberry both trying to make large margin so phone is much more expensive but you gotta pay to play if you're blackberry fan boy!
    12-12-17 10:08 AM
    Every product is a commodity...and just because BlackBerry mobile does it that way, doesn't mean it's the right choice. The middle of the road approach is not without risk. When millions of people are willing to pay $1000+ for the latest iPhone or Samsung, is it really so unrealistic for BlackBerry mobile to shoot a little higher for their corporate and government well-to-do's? Since when did 'niche' translate into overpriced mid-tier hardware with a huge battery?
    It's not overpriced, as always you just watch the specs and not the items which increase factory costs : an usual ratio screen, a physical keyboard, blackberry licencing name and software costs, and more importantly the fact that BlackBerry Mobile produces small batchs of devices, so the overall price of all the components is much higher than for Apple and Samsung which sell their devices by millions.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-17 10:18 AM
    It's not overpriced, as always you just watch the specs and not the items which increase factory costs : an usual ratio screen, a physical keyboard, blackberry licencing name and software costs, and more importantly the fact that BlackBerry Mobile produces small batchs of devices, so the overall price of all the components is much higher than for Apple and Samsung which sell their devices by millions.

Posted via CB10
    In your theory, everyone else except apple and Samsung pay high material cost for their phones?
    12-12-17 10:24 AM
    In your theory, everyone else except apple and Samsung pay high material cost for their phones?
    ZTE, HUAWEI, OnePlus, LG, Sony, and MANY others sell orders of magnitude more devices than BlackBerry Mobile.
    12-12-17 10:28 AM
    why do people always reference the windows phone?
    for one, i have never seen a windows phone in my life.
    for two, i'm certain that they are/were a deplorable product, much like windows itself.

?

there is no 'blackberry' in the new blackberry-branded phones.
    this has been covered ad nauseam.

Posted via CBX
    Don't you realize just how many people have never seen a BB10 phone in their life?!?

Other than my personally owned Classic and Passport, I have seen exactly ONE other person, EVER.
    12-12-17 10:29 AM
    ZTE, HUAWEI, OnePlus, LG, Sony, and MANY others sell orders of magnitude more devices than BlackBerry Mobile.
    Do you know if Alcatel also pay high material cost for their phones?
    12-12-17 10:30 AM
    Do you know if Alcatel also pay high material cost for their phones?
    Different level of quality. More standard parts. They sell for cheap too. No comparison.
    12-12-17 10:31 AM
    Different level of quality. More standard parts. They sell for cheap too. No comparison.
    I thought dtek60 was excellent built quality. I guess it wasn't. Alcatel is probably using cheaper socket CPU with cheaper components!
    12-12-17 10:34 AM
    I thought dtek60 was excellent built quality. I guess it wasn't. Alcatel is probably using cheaper socket CPU with cheaper components!
    It was good. But it's not like the Motion.

Plus the DTEK60 used all the same parts from the TCL950 and Idol 4S.
    12-12-17 10:35 AM
    It was good. But it's not like the Motion.

Plus the DTEK60 used all the same parts from the TCL950 and Idol 4S.
    I wish motion had Snapdragon 835 with better camera sensor. I'll pay extra $100 for those upgrades!
    12-12-17 10:47 AM
    I wish motion had Snapdragon 835 with better camera sensor. I'll pay extra $100 for those upgrades!
    660 would be better than either.
    12-12-17 10:47 AM
    660 would be better than either.
    Yeah but snapdragon 835 may be cheaper next year. Isn't Snapdragon 660 more modern SOC compared to 835?
    12-12-17 10:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    The same old excuses every time. BlackBerry sunk millions of R&D into the KEYone. All TCL had to do was mass produce it and distribute it. So they already had a huge return (BlackBerry absorbed the loss), and they still chose to skimp out on hardware. Obviously that was a business decision and they were aiming to make some money off these devices and the BlackBerry brand. But there is a very fine line between someone's definition of adequate profit and price gouging.

I would love to see the prototype that was supposedly on Chen's desk, and the original specifications sheet, to see how much value engineering TCL did to BlackBerry's prototype in order to squeeze out the margins they thought they needed to make a go of it.
    12-12-17 10:50 AM
    Don't you realize just how many people have never seen a BB10 phone in their life?!?

Other than my personally owned Classic and Passport, I have seen exactly ONE other person, EVER.
    i see them regularly. i notice these things. not many in my circle though.
    i told a story about a twenty year old i know who showed up with a classic recently. he said he liked the look of it. couldnt snapchat, got rid of it. admittedly the classic is too slow and feels obsolete. i dont know what a z30 is like but the passport is still a powerhouse. browsing is beginning to lag, which is so hard to believe considering the horsepower. i'm of the opinion that websites are just too bogged down with scripting these days. the typing delay on kijiji is just insane. why??

Posted via CBX
    12-12-17 10:50 AM
    Yeah but snapdragon 835 may be cheaper next year. Isn't Snapdragon 660 more modern SOC compared to 835?
    Exactly. TCL needs to stop shopping at the Qualcomm bargain bin for SOC's. Even last year's top end model is too expensive for their margins. Lol.
    12-12-17 10:58 AM
    If snapdragon 625 cost $25 and Snapdragon 835 cost $100, can TCL just use snapdragon 835 and charge the difference? Why not just spend little more for better specification.
    12-12-17 10:59 AM
    Yeah the Motion, there is another conundrum. That is where, unfortunately, the well-worn excuses of 'custom screen' and 'pkb niche device' for justifying the KEYone's price tag falls to pieces.
    12-12-17 11:14 AM
    If snapdragon 625 cost $25 and Snapdragon 835 cost $100, can TCL just use snapdragon 835 and charge the difference? Why not just spend little more for better specification.
    And $75 for a better camera, and $50 for 6GB, and $50 for more storage, and $25 for stereo speakers, and .......

The fact is, they had a price point, and put in as much as they could.
    12-12-17 11:27 AM
    And $75 for a better camera, and $50 for 6GB, and $50 for more storage, and $25 for stereo speakers, and .......

The fact is, they had a price point, and put in as much as they could.
    4gb with 64gb storage should be fine. Socket is most important. I would spend extra $100 for CPU bump. What if keyone had snapdragon 835 for $650 at launch, I am pretty sure that TCL would sell a lot more! More profit for TCL!
    12-12-17 11:34 AM
    4gb with 64gb storage should be fine. Socket is most important.
    YOU might think so. But everyone else has different priorities and want their horse in the race too. Where does it stop?

Next guy says 835 is wasted on him and a top tier camera is all he needs.

Next guy says he reads all day and SoC and camera don't mean anything - he just wants his QHD screen.

Next guy teleconferences or listens to media all day - only big, loud quality speakers matter.

On, and on, and on.....

Pick a price point, and deliver a package you think your target market will want. In this case, decent (not super-fast, but ultra-efficient) SoC, decent shooter, decent screen, solid build, enterprise-grade security, long battery life.

Plenty of OnePlus 5T and Essential devices out there for people interested in benchmark scores.
    Last edited by conite; 12-12-17 at 11:58 AM.
    app_Developer and eldricho like this.
    12-12-17 11:41 AM
    What if keyone had snapdragon 835 for $650 at launch, I am pretty sure that TCL would sell a lot more! More profit for TCL!
    I am pretty sure we'd have heard the familiar chorus that xyz phone ham the same specs for a lower price. BlackBerry branded phones are going to include BlackBerry-only features and will cost more than commodity Android phones with the same specs. Some of us see the value of that. Others don't.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-12-17 11:41 AM
332 ... 45678 ...