Dear CrackBerry participants,

I would like to share my detailed account of BlackBerry user experience in the form of an article, i.e. a critical overview of my BB10 experience with general inferences and thoughts on its advantages, usability and problems that BB10 devices are currently facing. I hope you may consider my thoughts interesting and possibly find accurate answers to many general questions regarding BB10 OS and BB10 products. I do believe that having a BB10 device is a deeply intelligent choice which justification is worth exploring due to the fact we all find something very special and unique about it depending on the daily requirements and tasks we want BB10 to handle. Please note that contrary to the widely spread rant-style writing, this article provides a detailed, sober and comprehensible analysis with parallels and examples and is entirely based on personal experience. Instead of accusing others what they have not done or said the way I would like to hear it, I wish to demonstrate a strict approach to the huge topic I am going to cover based on pinpointing reasons and trends with sufficient attention to every small detail. Many of you may encounter aspects of the topic they have always wanted to talk about but hesitated to do so. No matter what the reason is, you are here to explore an unbiased and well-justified user experience from a person who has never used a BlackBerry 10 device before purchasing his first BB10 phone. The article content is typed on BB Passport's brilliant keyboard using the integrated Docs To Go app.

The importance of choice

It all starts here, being able to make a justified decision and respect it. Selecting a good hardware companion often resembles our own cruel human nature, we throw behind and disregard what we believed in yesterday in order to make tomorrow a bit more "convenient", we attack people around us because this makes us more "secure" without being able to explain the actual reason for being aggressive or disrespectful. Being deprived of the ability to appreciate the understanding of other people about how they make choices also impairs the ability to define our very own and precise requirements to be met when buying a handset. Setting a minimum viable version of our needs is quite challenging nowadays due to the irrefutable fact many users stopped thinking about reliability, design and lack of unnecessary sophistication. This is certainly an isolated example concerning a handset purchase. I will also refer my reflections on this matter to other types of products in order to have a more robust justification of my analysis. Buying a handset does not sound like a difficult mission indeed but similar principles of making a choice also apply to much more complex purchases. My aim is to provide a sufficiently detailed overview of how degraded criteria lead to beautiful ideas and concepts becoming marginalised although their technical execution very often reaches satisfactory level of quality and usability of any output produced by a given product.

We need to be well-aware of "What?" and "Why?". Regrettably, the predominant driving force when answering these questions is not settling on the worthwhile idea and its implementation on the long term that would lead to consistent user satisfaction, but the maximised execution of a given strategic marketing campaign and how profit estimates can be achieved as quickly as possible where the user acts as a facilitator of a sought financial goal instead of being a core element in the marketing process. Contrary to the logical mechanism that the tech market offering a wide array of technological advancement for everyone leads to better options, we are witnessing the opposite trend, e.g. limited choices in spite of the competitive presence of other players.

Common misconceptions related to BB10 OS and BB10 devices

Reviewing the marketing timeline of the company as the only source of information to justify customer interest in BB10 today is wrongful and does not reflect OS's strengths and satisfaction of current users. Despite knowing that major strategic events that determine financial viability on the long run for any company are of paramount importance, the unilateral imposition of products that look bad and perform poorly is omitted in many discussions. We do not talk much about the advantages of having a reliable BB10 device due to the suppression BB10 suffers. This suppression is not necessarily related to any erroneous marketing but the issues arising from the mass adoption of what is "useful" and what "works well". It is known to the sensible user that BB10's overall reputation of reliability and efficiency is badly affected by the deformed understanding of functionality. Users find themselves into the ineluctable situation to follow pre-defined marketing models characterised by an immensely large and exponentially growing range of complications arising from the daily use and regular maintenance of a given handset. Furthermore, we do not make choices, we just learn how to live with further difficulties that are taken for granted and continue to come at increasing prices. Moreover, we dedicate time and effort to adapt to a framework where our participation is greatly restricted. Taking your time and effort is a considerable investment. As a result, users push themselves towards compromised choices. There is no way you could make your very own choice if you do not know the product from any unbiased perspective. Intrusive advertising of certain features announced as significant advantages reduces the number of unbiased choices. This article excludes corporate clients and people who are given handsets at their workplaces because my analysis addresses personal choices only. Undermining the qualitative criteria used to form the general picture of what "helpful daily driver" actually means makes BB10 seem outdated at first sight. The provision of real practical opportunities to choose is simply non-existent today. Instead, we are given the only possibility to substitute larger compromise with a smaller one. This is where BB10 and its devices win my respect because there was no detectable need to adjust my usage habits after purchasing a BB10 device. The transparent and unambiguous OS flow, set of apps and good hardware that come straight out of the box immediately complied with my essential requirements.

The rational functionality mindset vs burdening complications

Another major issue is that the lack of justified choice leads to underrepresentation of BB10 handsets. Although many people would recognise the evident opportunities that BB10 offers, this quickly comes to an end the very moment you start realising that BB10 or a given BB10 device is not what you expected. Here come the detrimental consequences of not knowing why you own a certain device. BB10 devices are special due to their ability to function exactly as advertised. The reason some people would consider a fully functional BB10 smartphone useless is owed to the lack of understanding what a BB10 device actually offers, as well as the fact you purchased it with a quality and productivity assurance, not with any promises by the manufacturer that you are given wide span for tinkering and transforming the phone into something that it can never be. Another major aspect of user experience is that using BB10 is more like a whole concept and rational outlook on utilising your mobile device in a very optimised and coherent manner. This inevitable fact is sometimes used as means of discouraging people from enjoying BB10 as a reliable sound base for daily use through the statement that BB10's simple and well-organised environment is retrograde and not up to the modern standards. Such deformed understanding of plain smartphone necessities and hassle-free operation for a handset is actually the extrapolation from users' dissatisfaction with their current handset of choice. This leads to unverified assumptions about BB10's enjoyable and intuitive smartphone environment. A glowing advertisement sells nothing more than a pre-determined set of widely accepted patterns of functionality. Would your device live up to these expectations? Excitement over feature-rich choices is likely to cast a shadow over using a non-mainstream product for your daily tasks. What would you expect if you go with BB10?

Circumstances that contribute to the deformed criteria for device longevity

The EOL hype train is of no help to BB10 and the people who are still enjoying it in 2020. I bought my Passport in February 2018 without even knowing BB10 would be soon considered obsolete and subjected to derogatory speculations over its rumoured end in 2020. Furthermore, at the date of making the purchase I did not have any clue what BB10 would bring to my digital life. The only matter I researched on was what general features BB10 and the Passport offered. I saw Calendar, Notes, email integration, beautiful screen, good battery life, good call quality, PKB convenience. All ticks were there plus the unique futuristic design I have never seen before. What I was not certain about was how the camera would perform but my frustration over the uniformity of all devices on the market (including their desperately similar visual appearance) prevailed over my requirement to have a great rear camera (which was not one of the primary reasons to buy a phone, I just though it would be a useful asset). I did not feel any need to be forcibly convinced to invest in this BB10 handset. My choice was spontaneous and relied upon handset specifications relevant to the objective reasons why I need a device for daily communication, not presumptive thoughts about potential disappointment. Instilling fear of not having further updates or support is another circumstance that makes BB10 unattractive to many users. The observable trend of putting too much emphasis on the act of releasing security updates instead of having this as a discrete obligatory part of the handset's regular maintenance has turned into a constant fear of not being up-to-date with the latest security and privacy standards. This practical concern has inevitably evolved into another selling mechanism. It is naive to say we do not need this maintenance because it is the only way the increasing number of security and privacy threats can be tackled. My aim is not to underestimate updates which have delivered vital additions and stability for any system. I am alluding to the exaggeration over the announcement of mobile handset updates and improvements in general which quite often makes our choice even more complicated. In the absence of any foreseeable updates BB10 looks like coming to its end. However, does this really have such great impact on the actual reasons for buying a BB10 device and use its great capabilities today?

Escalating discussions on EOL compromises the well-established convenience for many users who set their reasonably structured workflows and methods of approaching the features of their BB10 devices. It should be noted that I do not exclude the possibility BB10 services may become suspended in near future. What needs to be addressed is the the misleading model of categorising BB10 devices as unreliable prior to any real loss of functionality which plants insecurity about a trustworthy OS that has already proven reliable. I am not saying that official announcements on future termination of services are not important, just the opposite, we need to be kept up to date on those matters. The point I make is that I strongly object to the malicious nature of the way EOL announcements are twisted and purposefully interweaved into discussions that do not address any relevant loss of operativeness. This has great negative impact on current and prospective users who may wish to have a go with BB10. Irrelevant comparisons with other handsets / OS along with the extremely polarised views on BB10 is also common. To make things worse, many users express opinions without providing thoughts based on empirical evidence. BB10's flow and simplicity are phenomenal and cannot co-exist with the assumption that your mobile's primary purpose is to function as a digital whim-wham. The fact BB10 offers plain, distraction-free and transparent software environment does not contribute to the idealised image of a toy gadget.

Tech market has seen so many changes during the past decade. For instance, as a keen photographer I have been observing various trends concerning Nikon DSLR camera equipment. Although there are considerable improvements in speed, ease of use and image quality, the means of reaching your final goal has not undergone any significant changes. The same principles and rules for optimised use of equipment still apply. Knowledge about controlling equipment to achieve and convey the desired result is the intangible extension of the equipment you own. The same principle applies to any mobile handset. Everyone's final goal is to ensure smooth interaction with the device on a daily basis and properly achieve all relevant tasks. This necessitates the presence of a user-defined mechanism to approach your device in the best way possible for which you should be given sufficient opportunity. The degree of rationality demonstrated during the interaction between the user and hardware of choice determines the quality of the output. If the product itself predisposes the aforementioned user-defined mechanism to be of high quality, we have just emphasised how important good UI-hardware balance is. Pretty much like my old Nikon DSLR camera does, BB10 exhibits one fundamental characteristic, namely reliable consistency over time. Without a doubt any piece of equipment would age and exhibit some kind of flaw that will not necessarily impair its ability to function as expected. The issue comes from the the fact users quite often tend to deliberately seek deficiencies that are actually non-existent and do not influence the quality of interaction with a given device. What is really fascinating about BB10 is that users do not need to devise any compensatory mechanisms to make their experience better, they are given the opportunity to simply make use of great OS and hardware resources.

What many users may not notice is how the wasteful approach to handsets limits their lifespan. This trend heavily impacts the understanding of "innovative" and "reliable". "Buy it today, bin it tomorrow!" is not the approach of BB10. The reason I mentioned my observations on how Nikon DSLR market developed is that in 2018 I bought the same camera I used to own as my very first digital camera 14 years ago. What really matters to me is it still does the same great job it has always been capable of. Similarly, the less unnecessary transformation a given handset and OS undergo, the more easier to keep using the device for longer. This greatly contradicts marketing models that aim at making you dispose of your device in maximum 2 years. Is this actually true? Do you really need to prematurely abandon what you like? The updates support for various handsets determines the rate at which you would need to go for another piece of hardware. Any detectable discrepancy between offered software and hardware would not be tolerated by any responsible user and BB10 has never failed to impress with its brilliant performance that operates many notable BB handsets. In 2014 it was perfectly possible to manufacture an acceptable rear camera sensor and great default software to extract the maximum abilities of the camera. In 2020 market is flooded with handsets with mind-boggling camera sensor specifications and complaints that the camera sensor is actually able to deliver much more that what the handset's software environment allows.

Long before the EOL fears began to attract attention and gain credibility people would assume BB10 phones may not offer adequate level of functionality. The common misconception that BB10 devices are obsolete discourages new users from demonstrating interest in BB10 and the range of BB10 phones. When I bought my BB10 phone there was 10+ factory sealed units that sold off in two months time. It turns out the length of any past exposure of a given Blackberry user to BB10 is not the primary determinant for reliance on BB10 products. As already mentioned, I have never used a Blackberry product prior to purchasing a BB Passport in February 2018.

General thoughts on BB10 and BB Passport

BB Passport and BB10 exceeded my expectations. It was particularly satisfying to discover the rear camera was truly capable of creating stunning macro photography and works pretty well with the default native camera application. It was obvious the Passport was capable of producing photos that I have not happened to capture with any of my DSLR cameras in the past. I also discovered that typing flow has never been so productive for me on a mobile device. There were moments when I had to increase my typing productivity and the Passport contributed to doing things much quicker. For instance, using speech-to-text to facilitate text input or use Docs To Go to work on files which I later finish on the computer. I have never experienced any difficulties and the device has never failed to deliver outstanding results. Using it as a Bluetooth trackpad is another huge asset when I need more precision and convenience. Design is spectacular, feeling is like holding premium quality hardware in your hands. Writing this article was a breeze with the full-sized backlit keyboard. Hands-free call quality is amazing and stereo speakers sound fantastic. Battery life is exceptional and can reach the whopping 96 hours if headset used for short calls and texts with data switched on most of the time. Bluetooth internet tethering works great and my overall impression is that the device delivers great level of portability when you are on the go and need to tweak a document and really focus on a task. The PKB is one of a kind, we may never see the same level of comfortable typing experience. Personally, I cannot detach my experience with BB10 from the hardware I used as they complement each other quite well.
    Last edited by Thud Hardsmack; 01-26-20 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
    saint300, Crusader03, iled and 3 others like this.
    01-26-20 01:09 PM
    This is a most excellent presentation and analysis of the best OS so far!

It will be very interesting to see what other people think...
    Radoslav Valkov and rarsen like this.
    01-26-20 03:43 PM
    This is a most excellent presentation and analysis of the best OS so far!

It will be very interesting to see what other people think...
    Thanks for the feedback @saint300! Hope the article would generate constructive discussions.
    rarsen likes this.
    01-26-20 03:49 PM
    Indeed! Totally agree!

Posted via my Passport
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    01-26-20 06:08 PM
    Dear CrackBerry participants,

I would like to share my detailed account of BlackBerry user experience in the form of an article, i.e. a critical overview of my BB10 experience with general inferences and thoughts on its advantages, usability and problems that BB10 devices are currently facing. I hope you may consider my thoughts interesting and possibly find accurate answers to many general questions regarding BB10 OS and BB10 products. I do believe that having a BB10 device is a deeply intelligent choice which justification is worth exploring due to the fact we all find something very special and unique about it depending on the daily requirements and tasks we want BB10 to handle. Please note that contrary to the widely spread rant-style writing, this article provides a detailed, sober and comprehensible analysis with parallels and examples and is entirely based on personal experience. Instead of accusing others what they have not done or said the way I would like to hear it, I wish to demonstrate a strict approach to the huge topic I am going to cover based on pinpointing reasons and trends with sufficient attention to every small detail. Many of you may encounter aspects of the topic they have always wanted to talk about but hesitated to do so. No matter what the reason is, you are here to explore an unbiased and well-justified user experience from a person who has never used a BlackBerry 10 device before purchasing his first BB10 phone. The article content is typed on BB Passport's brilliant keyboard using the integrated Docs To Go app.

The importance of choice

It all starts here, being able to make a justified decision and respect it. Selecting a good hardware companion often resembles our own cruel human nature, we throw behind and disregard what we believed in yesterday in order to make tomorrow a bit more "convenient", we attack people around us because this makes us more "secure" without being able to explain the actual reason for being aggressive or disrespectful. Being deprived of the ability to appreciate the understanding of other people about how they make choices also impairs the ability to define our very own and precise requirements to be met when buying a handset. Setting a minimum viable version of our needs is quite challenging nowadays due to the irrefutable fact many users stopped thinking about reliability, design and lack of unnecessary sophistication. This is certainly an isolated example concerning a handset purchase. I will also refer my reflections on this matter to other types of products in order to have a more robust justification of my analysis. Buying a handset does not sound like a difficult mission indeed but similar principles of making a choice also apply to much more complex purchases. My aim is to provide a sufficiently detailed overview of how degraded criteria lead to beautiful ideas and concepts becoming marginalised although their technical execution very often reaches satisfactory level of quality and usability of any output produced by a given product.

We need to be well-aware of "What?" and "Why?". Regrettably, the predominant driving force when answering these questions is not settling on the worthwhile idea and its implementation on the long term that would lead to consistent user satisfaction, but the maximised execution of a given strategic marketing campaign and how profit estimates can be achieved as quickly as possible where the user acts as a facilitator of a sought financial goal instead of being a core element in the marketing process. Contrary to the logical mechanism that the tech market offering a wide array of technological advancement for everyone leads to better options, we are witnessing the opposite trend, e.g. limited choices in spite of the competitive presence of other players.

Common misconceptions related to BB10 OS and BB10 devices

Reviewing the marketing timeline of the company as the only source of information to justify customer interest in BB10 today is wrongful and does not reflect OS's strengths and satisfaction of current users. Despite knowing that major strategic events that determine financial viability on the long run for any company are of paramount importance, the unilateral imposition of products that look bad and perform poorly is omitted in many discussions. We do not talk much about the advantages of having a reliable BB10 device due to the suppression BB10 suffers. This suppression is not necessarily related to any erroneous marketing but the issues arising from the mass adoption of what is "useful" and what "works well". It is known to the sensible user that BB10's overall reputation of reliability and efficiency is badly affected by the deformed understanding of functionality. Users find themselves into the ineluctable situation to follow pre-defined marketing models characterised by an immensely large and exponentially growing range of complications arising from the daily use and regular maintenance of a given handset. Furthermore, we do not make choices, we just learn how to live with further difficulties that are taken for granted and continue to come at increasing prices. Moreover, we dedicate time and effort to adapt to a framework where our participation is greatly restricted. Taking your time and effort is a considerable investment. As a result, users push themselves towards compromised choices. There is no way you could make your very own choice if you do not know the product from any unbiased perspective. Intrusive advertising of certain features announced as significant advantages reduces the number of unbiased choices. This article excludes corporate clients and people who are given handsets at their workplaces because my analysis addresses personal choices only. Undermining the qualitative criteria used to form the general picture of what "helpful daily driver" actually means makes BB10 seem outdated at first sight. The provision of real practical opportunities to choose is simply non-existent today. Instead, we are given the only possibility to substitute larger compromise with a smaller one. This is where BB10 and its devices win my respect because there was no detectable need to adjust my usage habits after purchasing a BB10 device. The transparent and unambiguous OS flow, set of apps and good hardware that come straight out of the box immediately complied with my essential requirements.

The rational functionality mindset vs burdening complications

Another major issue is that the lack of justified choice leads to underrepresentation of BB10 handsets. Although many people would recognise the evident opportunities that BB10 offers, this quickly comes to an end the very moment you start realising that BB10 or a given BB10 device is not what you expected. Here come the detrimental consequences of not knowing why you own a certain device. BB10 devices are special due to their ability to function exactly as advertised. The reason some people would consider a fully functional BB10 smartphone useless is owed to the lack of understanding what a BB10 device actually offers, as well as the fact you purchased it with a quality and productivity assurance, not with any promises by the manufacturer that you are given wide span for tinkering and transforming the phone into something that it can never be. Another major aspect of user experience is that using BB10 is more like a whole concept and rational outlook on utilising your mobile device in a very optimised and coherent manner. This inevitable fact is sometimes used as means of discouraging people from enjoying BB10 as a reliable sound base for daily use through the statement that BB10's simple and well-organised environment is retrograde and not up to the modern standards. Such deformed understanding of plain smartphone necessities and hassle-free operation for a handset is actually the extrapolation from users' dissatisfaction with their current handset of choice. This leads to unverified assumptions about BB10's enjoyable and intuitive smartphone environment. A glowing advertisement sells nothing more than a pre-determined set of widely accepted patterns of functionality. Would your device live up to these expectations? Excitement over feature-rich choices is likely to cast a shadow over using a non-mainstream product for your daily tasks. What would you expect if you go with BB10?

Circumstances that contribute to the deformed criteria for device longevity

The EOL hype train is of no help to BB10 and the people who are still enjoying it in 2020. I bought my Passport in February 2018 without even knowing BB10 would be soon considered obsolete and subjected to derogatory speculations over its rumoured end in 2020. Furthermore, at the date of making the purchase I did not have any clue what BB10 would bring to my digital life. The only matter I researched on was what general features BB10 and the Passport offered. I saw Calendar, Notes, email integration, beautiful screen, good battery life, good call quality, PKB convenience. All ticks were there plus the unique futuristic design I have never seen before. What I was not certain about was how the camera would perform but my frustration over the uniformity of all devices on the market (including their desperately similar visual appearance) prevailed over my requirement to have a great rear camera (which was not one of the primary reasons to buy a phone, I just though it would be a useful asset). I did not feel any need to be forcibly convinced to invest in this BB10 handset. My choice was spontaneous and relied upon handset specifications relevant to the objective reasons why I need a device for daily communication, not presumptive thoughts about potential disappointment. Instilling fear of not having further updates or support is another circumstance that makes BB10 unattractive to many users. The observable trend of putting too much emphasis on the act of releasing security updates instead of having this as a discrete obligatory part of the handset's regular maintenance has turned into a constant fear of not being up-to-date with the latest security and privacy standards. This practical concern has inevitably evolved into another selling mechanism. It is naive to say we do not need this maintenance because it is the only way the increasing number of security and privacy threats can be tackled. My aim is not to underestimate updates which have delivered vital additions and stability for any system. I am alluding to the exaggeration over the announcement of mobile handset updates and improvements in general which quite often makes our choice even more complicated. In the absence of any foreseeable updates BB10 looks like coming to its end. However, does this really have such great impact on the actual reasons for buying a BB10 device and use its great capabilities today?

Escalating discussions on EOL compromises the well-established convenience for many users who set their reasonably structured workflows and methods of approaching the features of their BB10 devices. It should be noted that I do not exclude the possibility BB10 services may become suspended in near future. What needs to be addressed is the the misleading model of categorising BB10 devices as unreliable prior to any real loss of functionality which plants insecurity about a trustworthy OS that has already proven reliable. I am not saying that official announcements on future termination of services are not important, just the opposite, we need to be kept up to date on those matters. The point I make is that I strongly object to the malicious nature of the way EOL announcements are twisted and purposefully interweaved into discussions that do not address any relevant loss of operativeness. This has great negative impact on current and prospective users who may wish to have a go with BB10. Irrelevant comparisons with other handsets / OS along with the extremely polarised views on BB10 is also common. To make things worse, many users express opinions without providing thoughts based on empirical evidence. BB10's flow and simplicity are phenomenal and cannot co-exist with the assumption that your mobile's primary purpose is to function as a digital whim-wham. The fact BB10 offers plain, distraction-free and transparent software environment does not contribute to the idealised image of a toy gadget.

Tech market has seen so many changes during the past decade. For instance, as a keen photographer I have been observing various trends concerning Nikon DSLR camera equipment. Although there are considerable improvements in speed, ease of use and image quality, the means of reaching your final goal has not undergone any significant changes. The same principles and rules for optimised use of equipment still apply. Knowledge about controlling equipment to achieve and convey the desired result is the intangible extension of the equipment you own. The same principle applies to any mobile handset. Everyone's final goal is to ensure smooth interaction with the device on a daily basis and properly achieve all relevant tasks. This necessitates the presence of a user-defined mechanism to approach your device in the best way possible for which you should be given sufficient opportunity. The degree of rationality demonstrated during the interaction between the user and hardware of choice determines the quality of the output. If the product itself predisposes the aforementioned user-defined mechanism to be of high quality, we have just emphasised how important good UI-hardware balance is. Pretty much like my old Nikon DSLR camera does, BB10 exhibits one fundamental characteristic, namely reliable consistency over time. Without a doubt any piece of equipment would age and exhibit some kind of flaw that will not necessarily impair its ability to function as expected. The issue comes from the the fact users quite often tend to deliberately seek deficiencies that are actually non-existent and do not influence the quality of interaction with a given device. What is really fascinating about BB10 is that users do not need to devise any compensatory mechanisms to make their experience better, they are given the opportunity to simply make use of great OS and hardware resources.

What many users may not notice is how the wasteful approach to handsets limits their lifespan. This trend heavily impacts the understanding of "innovative" and "reliable". "Buy it today, bin it tomorrow!" is not the approach of BB10. The reason I mentioned my observations on how Nikon DSLR market developed is that in 2018 I bought the same camera I used to own as my very first digital camera 14 years ago. What really matters to me is it still does the same great job it has always been capable of. Similarly, the less unnecessary transformation a given handset and OS undergo, the more easier to keep using the device for longer. This greatly contradicts marketing models that aim at making you dispose of your device in maximum 2 years. Is this actually true? Do you really need to prematurely abandon what you like? The updates support for various handsets determines the rate at which you would need to go for another piece of hardware. Any detectable discrepancy between offered software and hardware would not be tolerated by any responsible user and BB10 has never failed to impress with its brilliant performance that operates many notable BB handsets. In 2014 it was perfectly possible to manufacture an acceptable rear camera sensor and great default software to extract the maximum abilities of the camera. In 2020 market is flooded with handsets with mind-boggling camera sensor specifications and complaints that the camera sensor is actually able to deliver much more that what the handset's software environment allows.

Long before the EOL fears began to attract attention and gain credibility people would assume BB10 phones may not offer adequate level of functionality. The common misconception that BB10 devices are obsolete discourages new users from demonstrating interest in BB10 and the range of BB10 phones. When I bought my BB10 phone there was 10+ factory sealed units that sold off in two months time. It turns out the length of any past exposure of a given Blackberry user to BB10 is not the primary determinant for reliance on BB10 products. As already mentioned, I have never used a Blackberry product prior to purchasing a BB Passport in February 2018.

General thoughts on BB10 and BB Passport

BB Passport and BB10 exceeded my expectations. It was particularly satisfying to discover the rear camera was truly capable of creating stunning macro photography and works pretty well with the default native camera application. It was obvious the Passport was capable of producing photos that I have not happened to capture with any of my DSLR cameras in the past. I also discovered that typing flow has never been so productive for me on a mobile device. There were moments when I had to increase my typing productivity and the Passport contributed to doing things much quicker. For instance, using speech-to-text to facilitate text input or use Docs To Go to work on files which I later finish on the computer. I have never experienced any difficulties and the device has never failed to deliver outstanding results. Using it as a Bluetooth trackpad is another huge asset when I need more precision and convenience. Design is spectacular, feeling is like holding premium quality hardware in your hands. Writing this article was a breeze with the full-sized backlit keyboard. Hands-free call quality is amazing and stereo speakers sound fantastic. Battery life is exceptional and can reach the whopping 96 hours if headset used for short calls and texts with data switched on most of the time. Bluetooth internet tethering works great and my overall impression is that the device delivers great level of portability when you are on the go and need to tweak a document and really focus on a task. The PKB is one of a kind, we may never see the same level of comfortable typing experience. Personally, I cannot detach my experience with BB10 from the hardware I used as they complement each other quite well.
    This more or less describes the situation of BB10 and BlackBerry in 2013 or so.

Nobody disputes that BB10 was a great OS to use and when still usable is great OS today.

The problem for most smartphone users today, is that BB10 can’t do for most people what they want or expect from a smartphone. It’s like BBMe also, great messenger app without any userbase means I’m stuck with the other solutions.
    01-26-20 06:40 PM
    This was a pleasure to read. Very well written.

However, this is not just a review and observations of BB10 and the Passport. It is also a review and observations on the underlying community, since the actual review is intertwined with responses to comments we have seen elsewhere (and that would be likely to be seen here again). I find that somewhat distracting and I think it takes the focus a little bit from the OS and device.

Nevertheless, I hope this article gets more exposure, both within and outside CrackBerry.
    Radoslav Valkov and rarsen like this.
    01-26-20 07:41 PM
    Let me give you my version:

The Passport is an old device running an EOL OS on a unique form-factor.

If it continues to meet your needs today, then great - no reason to change.
    01-26-20 08:09 PM

We expected nothing more and and nothing less

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    mh1983 and Radoslav Valkov like this.
    01-26-20 08:25 PM
    We expected nothing more and and nothing less

There is no accounting for preference, so we don't really need to over-think it.

No one is special for choosing a Passport, nor is anyone crazy.
    Last edited by conite; 01-26-20 at 09:50 PM.
    01-26-20 08:27 PM
    This was a pleasure to read. Very well written.

However, this is not just a review and observations of BB10 and the Passport. It is also a review and observations on the underlying community, since the actual review is intertwined with responses to comments we have seen elsewhere (and that would be likely to be seen here again). I find that somewhat distracting and I think it takes the focus a little bit from the OS and device.

Nevertheless, I hope this article gets more exposure, both within and outside CrackBerry.
    I admit the article actually does not cover the technical aspect of BB10 and the Passport in detail. I found it more appropriate to reflect on the general issues that you accurately identified because I would need to inevitably repeat many facts about how good BB10 is and how unique the Passport is. Hope the post is a bit of fresh air.
    01-27-20 02:52 AM
    it's a looooong breeze of fresh air
    and, yes, very good written :-)

I often have stated how good the passport is for my needs, wishes and my esthetic feeling. Something to add would be only chew it again.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-20 04:31 AM
    This reminds me of using BB10 z10, for the first time after using Androids and Apples a while back..
    Not all roads are paved. It's sometimes a jungle out there....ironically smoothe, and well built .

01-28-20 12:31 AM

Still better in many ways, as described by the OP, than the latest iphone 11 Pro which I bought a month ago... I still carry my Passport every day as backup when I want better email, phone communication, Web surfing with multitasking, hub, calendar and many other function experience.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-20 06:58 AM
    There is no accounting for preference, so we don't really need to over-think it.

No one is special for choosing a Passport, nor is anyone crazy.
    You told me I was special once. My, how times have changed
    Lmao

01-28-20 07:30 AM
    You told me I was special once. My, how times have changed
    Lmao

Different kind of special.
    01-28-20 08:43 AM
    Nice job on the opinion piece. The one area in the essay that stands out to me is the design. I totally agree with you that the Passport's design (specifically the SE but this also applies to most BB's) is spectacular and feels premium.

And while I may have moved on from using a BB as my daily (for now... I'm thinking of switching back to the KEY2 Red), the one thing that I don't have with any of my non-BBs is an attachment to the design hardware. I will happily sell off any of my glass slabs, but will absolutely not part ways with any of my retired BBs (even the vkb ones).
    saint300 and Radoslav Valkov like this.
    01-28-20 09:00 AM
    Different kind of special.

Lmao! I'll still take it
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 01-28-20 at 09:38 AM.
    01-28-20 09:01 AM
    the one thing that I don't have with any of my non-BBs is an attachment to the design hardware.
    This is a very special area of usage/ownership which indicates a very simple truth, namely the Passport is an ingeniously designed piece of hardware. This leads to further attachment to the whole hardware/software configuration it offers and its prolonged usage where the circumstances permit. This is why many users would not properly justify why people would retain such devices as long as possible. The combination of exceptional design and compliance with simplistic and straightforward BB OS workflow deters users from leaving. Another misconception is that users keep the Passport just for its visual uniqueness. Well, yes, some people adore collectibles. However, as long as it satisfies the core needs, why not keeping it?
    01-29-20 05:08 AM
    Did you type everything on your pp?

bbsim@passport
    01-30-20 12:07 PM
    Did you type everything on your pp?

bbsim@passport
    Yes, the whole article is typed using Docs To Go on the Passport.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    01-30-20 12:19 PM
    Yes, the whole article is typed using Docs To Go on the Passport.
    More precisely, on the keyboard without using speech-to-text.
    saint300 and falbo like this.
    01-30-20 12:42 PM
    Great article
    01-31-20 07:28 AM
    Nicely written. I mostly use the passport on wifi now but still enjoying it.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    01-31-20 10:57 AM
    @richdb and @falbo Thanks a lot for taking your time to read and provide feedback!
    01-31-20 11:45 AM