Blog sites and official WhatsApp Blog. In the end you (as a user) will sooner or later be forced to buy a new Android (HTC, Samsung, LG etc) or Android-BlackBerry (Priv, Hamburg, Rome etc) device in order to use WhatsApp again with new benefits such as updates for new WA features.

Eventually WhatsApp recommanding or demanding you to buy a new portable smartphone device afterwards. Because of there statement and they said that the whole, global market focusses more only on newest OS versions of Google, Apple and Microsoft with recent and future API's for newest portable smartphone devices.

Posted via CB10
    This sounds like a ghost story, App writers tend to shoot for the lowest common denominator. People do not respond well to anyone that tells them you need to do this now. If you want to see how it works look no further than Microsoft. They support older programs in Windows 10 some as old as Windows 95, as long as it does not cause issues. Google demands the same, older platforms must be supported as long as security can maintained. That's why apps that have not been updated for years continue to run with no issues.
    05-09-16 05:12 PM
    It's time to move on if your into social media apps, BB10 is no longer for you, I know it sucks and you spent good money on Blackberry phones but that's how it is.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-16 05:24 PM
    If Blackberry wants to save BB10, or improve on it, OR make a newer OS, this might be one of it's saviour:

05-09-16 06:51 PM
    This sounds like a ghost story, App writers tend to shoot for the lowest common denominator. People do not respond well to anyone that tells them you need to do this now. If you want to see how it works look no further than Microsoft. They support older programs in Windows 10 some as old as Windows 95, as long as it does not cause issues. Google demands the same, older platforms must be supported as long as security can maintained. That's why apps that have not been updated for years continue to run with no issues.

True, but WhatsApp Inc have made their mind, they are officially pulling the plugs out for only older versions from mobile platforms because of the limitations of older and recent API's. That's going to happen for later times you can count on.

The app writers of WhatsApp Inc are now tired or are going for the retirement. It's obvious very clear to me.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-16 07:53 PM
    True, but WhatsApp Inc have made their mind, they are officially pulling the plugs out for only older versions from mobile platforms because of the limitations of older and recent API's. That's going to happen for later times you can count on.

The app writers of WhatsApp Inc are now tired or are going for the retirement. It's obvious very clear to me.

Posted via CB10
    Could be, but I have had apps that would not sideload then a new version came out and it was fine.
    05-09-16 08:33 PM
    Android 4.3 and older only represents about 20% of the installed base, and by the end of this year, will be closer to 10%. Many app developers are leaving those versions behind and targeting 4.4 or 5 as their minimum versions. As time goes on, it's only going to get worse. That's why constant ongoing developing is so important - tech moves forward quickly and constantly, and if you don't keep up, you get left behind.
    05-10-16 12:19 AM
    Android 4.3 and older only represents about 20% of the installed base, and by the end of this year, will be closer to 10%. Many app developers are leaving those versions behind and targeting 4.4 or 5 as their minimum versions. As time goes on, it's only going to get worse. That's why constant ongoing developing is so important - tech moves forward quickly and constantly, and if you don't keep up, you get left behind.
    10% of people using 4.4 Android OS is still a lot man...we are talking of Android devices, not of BlackBerry devices. I personally don't think they will be soon stop to support 4.4 version. It would be insane...then, anyway it is always WA to decide....no matters what people say.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-16 12:52 AM
    Hi.. I m using two whatsapp numbers in q10..

one is from blackberry whatsapp which is registered my Dubai Number.

Another one android whatsapp which is India Mobile Number.. (Y)
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    05-10-16 04:27 AM
    10% of people using 4.4 Android OS is still a lot man...we are talking of Android devices, not of BlackBerry devices. I personally don't think they will be soon stop to support 4.4 version. It would be insane...then, anyway it is always WA to decide....no matters what people say.

Posted via CB10
    10%...............wow what a phony number, you are right elfabio80 on the large numbers. Outside of the US the numbers are much much higher. Funny how people are always predicting the death of that or this and then when it does not happen they go on blovaking on something else. Next stop the end of the world via OS 10!

One last thought as someone that is in India and China many times a year, most Android phones do not run the most up to date and many are much older models so we should assume an app writer will just right these places off?................yea right
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-10-16 07:05 AM
    In September 2015 Google said there were 1.4 billion active Android devices worldwide.

http://m.androidcentral.com/google-s...ices-worldwide

It's probably well over 1.5 billion now but for the sake of the math we'll assume there are now 1.5 billion.

20% of 1.5 billion is 300 million.

10% of 1.5 billion is 150 million.

If devs want to miss out on potential revenue from 150 million Android 4.3 users, that's their choice. But I don't think support will disappear while there are still that many users of that version.

If BB10 had that many active users it might actually have been profitable.

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    elfabio80 and andy957 like this.
    05-10-16 08:41 AM
    Of course the user numbers are high with a 1.5B overall userbase, but most of that 10% will be in emerging markets where most devs aren't targeting anyway. Plus, devs tend to be more forward-looking rather than backward-looking, because they want to push new features to the high-end of the market and because they know the low-end is going to follow along sooner or later (and usually sooner). Once things hit 10% or less, most devs stop worrying about them and move forward, knowing that half of those 10% will move with them within 6 months or so anyway. Sure, an app like WhatsApp may be an exception - trying to get nearly all users - but I was making a broader statement about devs in general.
    05-10-16 12:57 PM
    BB10 after 2016 & apps?-img_20160512_105716.png

BB10 after 2016 & apps?-img_20160512_105716_edit.png

Just a reminder for you all.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-16 04:10 AM
    BB10 after 2016 & apps?-chart-ww-smartphone-os-market-share.png

Here is my two cents on the subject. I understand everyone worry and I'm too. Specially because of Android has a possibility to become a monopole. I don't believe that BBos is in an impossible situations. Very very difficult, yes, but not impossible.

The first urgent fix that must be addressed is that all the social media app must be in the Hub. There are ways to make it secure, BlackBerry can do it and give the run around to the Social media companies who go against BlackBerry phylosophy (We are working on it).

In my opinion (I don't know if it possible or feasible) BlackBerry could also have a translating department that converts the most popular android app to its BBos format that fits their products. They could also make a more appealing, more effective and more friendly BlackBerry World.

On the marketing side, BlackBerry could give a Free phone to very public celebrities with a training coach to make them BBos experts.

Be Smart - Be Bold - Be True
    05-12-16 07:18 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart-ww-smartphone-os-market-share.png 
Views:	388 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	399586

Here is my two cents on the subject. I understand everyone worry and I'm too. Specially because of Android has a possibility to become a monopole. I don't believe that BBos is in an impossible situations. Very very difficult, yes, but not impossible.

The first urgent fix that must be addressed is that all the social media app must be in the Hub. There are ways to make it secure, BlackBerry can do it and give the run around to the Social media companies who go against BlackBerry phylosophy (We are working on it).

In my opinion (I don't know if it possible or feasible) BlackBerry could also have a translating department that converts the most popular android app to its BBos format that fits their products. They could also make a more appealing, more effective and more friendly BlackBerry World.

On the marketing side, BlackBerry could give a Free phone to very public celebrities with a training coach to make them BBos experts.

Be Smart - Be Bold - Be True
    Remember what happened with Alicia Keys...?
    05-13-16 04:33 AM
    Yes. I'm talking more around the lines of exposure oppose to endorsement.
    05-13-16 05:44 AM
    No messages can't be backed up by google drive...android version works fine on mine...I guess if apps is a big problem then we'll have to move away from BB10.... I'm going to get the Gigaset ME...

Mia San Mia!
    05-29-16 11:31 AM
    Android Watsapp will not work on BlackBerry 10 because Watsapp will not be available on older Android versions neither.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 04:39 PM
    In September 2015 Google said there were 1.4 billion active Android devices worldwide.

http://m.androidcentral.com/google-s...ices-worldwide

It's probably well over 1.5 billion now but for the sake of the math we'll assume there are now 1.5 billion.

20% of 1.5 billion is 300 million.

10% of 1.5 billion is 150 million.

If devs want to miss out on potential revenue from 150 million Android 4.3 users, that's their choice. But I don't think support will disappear while there are still that many users of that version.

If BB10 had that many active users it might actually have been profitable.

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    While this might be true, a large number of apps HAVE moved to only support Kitkat and above - Microsoft Office is one of them.

It should also be noted that many of these Jellybean and prior devices are either sitting in drawers, passed along to kids, or used as secondary devices.
    05-29-16 05:10 PM
    While this might be true, a large number of apps HAVE moved to only support Kitkat and above - Microsoft Office is one of them.

It should also be noted that many of these Jellybean and prior devices are either sitting in drawers, passed along to kids, or used as secondary devices.
    I have now experienced two apps that can't be updated because ART is outdated. My Passport will be put away for a Priv.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 05:33 PM
    Hey. Are u looking for a 2nd hand passport?

Posted via the everMosT poweRFul ReD paSSporT
    05-30-16 01:08 AM
    I think she was smart enough to be the first one who dumped the new BlackBerry line.
    05-30-16 01:52 AM
    9 Apps is offering Whatsapp version 2.16.99 with an Android runtime 2.1+ This is a beta version and they give all of the Whatapp contact information for feedback. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE & semi retired Z10
    05-30-16 02:26 AM
    Does the android version of whatsapp show up in the hub just as the BlackBerry one does?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    05-30-16 07:47 AM
    9 Apps is offering Whatsapp version 2.16.99 with an Android runtime 2.1+ This is a beta version and they give all of the Whatapp contact information for feedback. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE & semi retired Z10
    That's interesting. If it works beyond 2016, that would be great. I hope a 3rd party developer will develop a Whatsapp client for BB10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-30-16 07:58 PM
    That's interesting. If it works beyond 2016, that would be great. I hope a 3rd party developer will develop a Whatsapp client for BB10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    There's no public API for WhatsApp.
    05-30-16 08:10 PM
88 1234