Hi all, with Whatsapp withdrawing support for BB10 after 2016, does it mean that current BB10 Whatsapp will cease to work? Or does it only mean that updates will no longer take place? Also, would it be possible to run the Android version of Whatsapp on BB10, as a workaround?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-08-16 06:19 AM
    You can still run android version on BB10
    05-08-16 06:23 AM
    Hi all, with Whatsapp withdrawing support for BB10 after 2016, does it mean that current BB10 Whatsapp will cease to work? Or does it only mean that updates will no longer take place? Also, would it be possible to run the Android version of Whatsapp on BB10, as a workaround?

I'm not Nostradamus, so I don't know. Nobody wiill really know until we get there. Maybe the native version will keep working, maybe it won't. At least some version of the Android app should work, but maybe it won't. Considering we've just started into May, we've still got a fair bit of 2016 left before we will find out.
    andy957 likes this.
    05-08-16 06:37 AM
    Thanks for the responses.
    The reason I ask:

I was a long time user of BlackBerry legacy devices and a Q10 as well. My Q10 developed hardware issues a few months ago and I've recently moved on to an LG V10. In Singapore, it is no longer possible to buy a new BB10 device from a telco on contract. I wanted a Passport, but it is not to be. I was thinking that if perchance I came across a second-hand Passport for sale here, at a low price, I might grab it. Guess I just miss using BlackBerry hardware and BB10.

BerrySoul likes this.
    05-08-16 06:55 AM
    It will cease working after 2016 for WhatsApp on all BlackBerry devices and you'll be notify soon after.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ginowine; 05-08-16 at 08:45 PM.
    05-08-16 08:07 AM
    My guess is that WhatsApp should be ok on the android version simply because android Jellybean (4.3) is still going to be widely used in emerging markets and they will want to support those users. For how long---who knows? My guess is that if you bought a Passport, it would be good for the life of your device because of that. As TheBirdDog has stated though, nobody really knows.
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    05-08-16 09:16 AM
    It will cease working after 2016 for WhatsApp on all BlackBerry devices and you'll be notified soon after.

Posted via CB10
    Source?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 09:31 AM
    Starhub is selling the Passport for $99 on 4G 4.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    05-08-16 12:32 PM
    Thanks for the responses.
    The reason I ask:

I was a long time user of BlackBerry legacy devices and a Q10 as well. My Q10 developed hardware issues a few months ago and I've recently moved on to an LG V10. In Singapore, it is no longer possible to buy a new BB10 device from a telco on contract. I wanted a Passport, but it is not to be. I was thinking that if perchance I came across a second-hand Passport for sale here, at a low price, I might grab it. Guess I just miss using BlackBerry hardware and BB10.

Starhub is selling the Passport for $99 on 4G 4.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    05-08-16 12:34 PM
    Thanks Pravin. I'm with M1, and couldn't recontract for anything except the overpriced Priv a month ago. So yeah. I went with the V10.

05-08-16 05:14 PM
    Well my fingers are crossed.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 08:20 PM
    Source?

Posted via CB10
    Blog sites and official WhatsApp Blog. In the end you (as a user) will sooner or later be forced to buy a new Android (HTC, Samsung, LG etc) or Android-BlackBerry (Priv, Hamburg, Rome etc) device in order to use WhatsApp again with new benefits such as updates for new WA features.

Eventually WhatsApp recommanding or demanding you to buy a new portable smartphone device afterwards. Because of there statement and they said that the whole, global market focusses more only on newest OS versions of Google, Apple and Microsoft with recent and future API's for newest portable smartphone devices.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ginowine; 05-08-16 at 11:15 PM.
    05-08-16 08:44 PM

Probably compatibility issues with everyone using a modern device having a different version which may not work with the older version
    05-08-16 08:54 PM
    I've been unable to get WhatsApp Android to work on my Passport with 10.3.2.2876. It installs, then hangs after registration on "Looking for Backup." Multiple installs and reinstalls, fooling around with placing old backups in various folders on the device media drive and also on the SD card where WA expects them to be, even adjusting the backup file name to the one for Android WA.

It also says it depends on Google play services, but the Cobalt patch program patched file won't install, and I don't think that's what the problem is anyway.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 09:08 PM
    I've been unable to get WhatsApp Android to work on my Passport with 10.3.2.2876. It installs, then hangs after registration on "Looking for Backup." Multiple installs and reinstalls, fooling around with placing old backups in various folders on the device media drive and also on the SD card where WA expects them to be, even adjusting the backup file name to the one for Android WA.

It also says it depends on Google play services, but the Cobalt patch program patched file won't install, and I don't think that's what the problem is anyway.

Posted via CB10
    I installed WhatsApp from BB World and it works great on my Passport.
    05-08-16 10:49 PM
    I installed WhatsApp from BB World and it works great on my Passport.
    Yes, of course it does, and on mine, too.

But the Android version doesn't work on my Passport. The point was that after WA discontinues support for their BlackBerry app, we'll all have to use the Android app on the Passport and other OS10 devices. I'm trying to get a head start.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 10:56 PM

But the Android version doesn't work on my Passport. The point was that after WA discontinues support for their BlackBerry app, we'll all have to use the Android app on the Passport and other OS10 devices. I'm trying to get a head start.

Posted via CB10
    Ok makes sense but in my case it's the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" option. I don't use WA all that much so ymmv.
    05-08-16 10:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    You should give up on trying to work the android version app of WA for BB10 devices. There's no point to go further either, because you're permanently stuck. Everyone does.. So therefore is downloading, mod patching and installing the android version app of WA on BB10 devices useless.

BlackBerry [ Formely RIM as company it self ] is trying to search and look for alternatives to keep WA personal and work data's and contacts alive with different methods of other chit-chat instant messengers. In the meantime it's still unknown in public for now.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ginowine; 05-08-16 at 11:40 PM.
    05-08-16 11:30 PM
    You should give up on trying to work the android version app of WA for BB10 devices. There's no point to go further either, because you're permanently stuck. Everyone does.. So therefore is downloading, mod patching and installing the android version app of WA on BB10 devices useless.

BlackBerry [ Formely RIM as company it self ] is trying to search and look for alternatives to keep WA personal and work data's and contacts alive with different methods of other chit-chat instant messengers. In the meantime it's still unknown in public for now.

Posted via CB10
    I'm afraid you are correct, although some CBers here have reported success in getting the Android WA to work. But I agree, it's a pretty much a waste of time.

This whole BlackBerry OS10 fiasco is a good example of Gresham's Law, with the mediocre Android system driving out the elegant OS10, or for that matter, the Samsungs of the world driving out BlackBerry. Just crazy.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 11:48 PM
    It's just like I said in the previous post about that you'll be notified by WhatsApp officially for the broadcast message within the app afterwards at later times in 2016 for all BBOS en BB10 smartphone devices.

BB10 after 2016 & apps?-img_20160509_203017.png

BB10 after 2016 & apps?-attachment.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ginowine; 05-09-16 at 02:18 PM.
    05-09-16 01:47 PM
    Just start to call your friends to use BBM and forget about whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    ice777 and itiswhatitisnt like this.
    05-09-16 03:03 PM
    It's just like I said in the previous post about that you'll be notified by WhatsApp officially for the broadcast message within the app afterwards at later times in 2016 for all BBOS en BB10 smartphone devices.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160509_203017.png 
Views:	742 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	399392

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpeg 
Views:	1412 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	399393

Posted via CB10
    Beat me to it, just to note since it was cut off, the Symbian build may be different but it would seem silly to turn off just the Symbian version.
    05-09-16 03:11 PM
    Just start to call your friends to use BBM and forget about whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    im sure they'll be absolutely ecstatic knowing they can do this to have absolutely 1 contct on their bbm
    05-09-16 03:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just press the back button when it says looking for backup...and then it will be fine. Don't need to patch it.

Mia San Mia!
    05-09-16 03:39 PM
    Just press the back button when it says looking for backup...and then it will be fine. Don't need to patch it.

Mia San Mia!
    Thanks, but I think I tried that, and it just minimized the WA window. And then you wouldn't get all your past messages, would you?

Meanwhile, I've gone back to the BlackBerry version which is working fine, with all past msgs preserved. I think I won't try switching again, because WA starts to get picky about repeated registrations on the same phone number. I figure that by the end of the year there will be a workaround out of necessity. If not, then goodbye WA.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-16 04:58 PM
88 123 ...