Hello there, I am mobile developer, who tired from android/ios. Is it possible to use bb passport in 2017 and develop apps for this platform(will anyone use bb applications)?
    Is it possible to use a BlackBerry Passport in 2017? Absolutely! Plenty of people do, but some scorn them because of their appearance and prejudice towards BlackBerry 10. As for apps, I'd highly recommend running a massive survey asking BB10 users which app they want to see most, that currently doesn't exist. As some have already pointed out, the user base is quite small, but active and passionate, so just make sure that the app is not just good, but very good and meaningful to them.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-20-17 09:17 PM
    Is it possible to use a BlackBerry Passport in 2017? Absolutely! Plenty of people do, but some scorn them because of their appearance and prejudice towards BlackBerry 10. As for apps, I'd highly recommend running a massive survey asking BB10 users which app they want to see most, that currently doesn't exist. As some have already pointed out, the user base is quite small, but active and passionate, so just make sure that the app is not just good, but very good and meaningful to them.
    Problem is most of them would say "I don't need apps...."
    02-21-17 07:24 AM
    I loooove BB10!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 10:56 AM
    I developed a Stock App and released it in January. It has been well received. Am I making a ton of money, no, but it has been a positive experience. I am glad that I did it. Mostly is that I love my BB10 devices (favorite is z30) and I am filling my app void with ones that I write myself and want to share and sell to the community. It is currently the top 6th paid app on BlackBerry world right now and has in the past been #1 for a couple of days.BB10 in 2017-img_20170224_131906.jpg

The App is StockBook (https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA)
    02-24-17 11:15 AM
    I know for a fact that there's a new growing interest towards BB10 devices (particularly Passport) here, in Indonesia. Especially with the prices of the said devices getting more and more cheaper these days. I'm one of the lead caretakers of a Facebook page for BB10 enthusiasts (particularly the Passport) called "BlackBerry Passport Owner Indonesia (BB-POIN)", with 359 members and counting. Our page is one of the best in the country, and we are HUNGRY for new and good native BB10 apps, free or otherwise.
    02-24-17 11:28 AM
    I know for a fact that there's a new growing interest towards BB10 devices (particularly Passport) here, in Indonesia. Especially with the prices of the said devices getting more and more cheaper these days. I'm one of the lead caretakers of a Facebook page for BB10 enthusiasts (particularly the Passport) called "BlackBerry Passport Owner Indonesia (BB-POIN)", with 359 members and counting. Our page is one of the best in the country, and we are HUNGRY for new and good native BB10 apps, free or otherwise.
    I know that the world is more than US and Canada which is why I supported stock markets across the world. IDX is one of the those.

BB10 in 2017-img_20170224_133149.jpg
    02-24-17 11:33 AM
    Come on we are with you!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 06:45 AM
    The best use of your time and effort would be to go to a crowded public space and look for someone using a BB10 device. After a couple of hours, you will get a sense of what your potential user base is. Statistically, you will have to look at 250 smartphones to find one of your potential customers. Then, perhaps you can ask them if they would buy one of your apps. Of those that tell you they will, optimistically, only one out of ten would actually do it.
    I have the bad habit of looking at people smartphones (even on tv and movies) probably an ex-mobile phone salesman symptom ) (from the nokia's and Ericsson time until iPhone goes up)
    And I can tell you in the last 4 years I only saw a girl with a black q10 and a Passport

On the other hand I saw a lot of legacy bb's
    So develop a way for people get rid of bis dependency on legacy bb's (email like profimail and bbm essentially) and I definitely will buy a lighter and small 9900 and leave the classic.

Posted via Mr. Chen Passport
    05-13-17 01:48 AM
    Basing your career and family finances on developing apps for bb10 OS is like asking the Boston strangler to massage your neck !!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-17 10:36 AM
    Hello there, I am mobile developer, who tired from android/ios. Is it possible to use bb passport in 2017 and develop apps for this platform(will anyone use bb applications)?
    Surely I am using BlackBerry passport and willing to pay for app if the app is really cool

I am in

Posted via CB10
    05-14-17 11:16 AM
    I developed a Stock App and released it in January. It has been well received. Am I making a ton of money, no, but it has been a positive experience. I am glad that I did it. Mostly is that I love my BB10 devices (favorite is z30) and I am filling my app void with ones that I write myself and want to share and sell to the community. It is currently the top 6th paid app on BlackBerry world right now and has in the past been #1 for a couple of days.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170224_131906.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	417978

What's your apps???

Posted via CB10
    05-14-17 11:21 AM
    However, if you were to offer a hack to update the ART on Passport to anything beyond the current 4.3 to 4.4 or 5.x or 6.x you would find a large horde in the wait waving nice green folding money for that...
    05-14-17 11:25 AM
    I have bought a lot of apps... most out of curiosity and buy most featured here. Crackberry doesn't appear to be interested in reviewing or taking note of any bb10 apps. The app highlights, education, updated info about bb10 apps old or new here has gone to the search button.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    05-14-17 11:55 AM
    I will support whoever develops for BB10. I will always hope for a new BlackBerry 10 Passport-like device and a renaissance, or at least a population big or strong enough to keep the best platform ever running.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    05-14-17 01:45 PM
    Nemory makes a living essentially faking bb10 app development. a real developer with worthwhile apps could make decent dough. those of us left on crackberry would handle your promotion..I for one, will be on bb10 for years to come.

Posted via CBX
    05-14-17 05:00 PM
    I developed a Stock App and released it in January. It has been well received. Am I making a ton of money, no, but it has been a positive experience. I am glad that I did it. Mostly is that I love my BB10 devices (favorite is z30) and I am filling my app void with ones that I write myself and want to share and sell to the community. It is currently the top 6th paid app on BlackBerry world right now and has in the past been #1 for a couple of days.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170224_131906.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	417978

Why not available for the BlackBerry Z3?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-17 09:47 PM
    To be honest OS 10 is becoming just a corporate operating system. But on the other hand if you would like to develop an APP for OS 10 it would never hurt. There is a group of users that will be very happy. Just remember the numbers will be very small compared to Android. One last thought you may want to see how your app goes for OS 10 then roll it out for droid.
    Whilst I agree BB 10 is generally more corporate/ small business used these days it is still used by the everyday Joe public. Let's not forget here you can pretty much run most android apps that are compliant with Android 4.3. It's not like the play book where you're limited to android 2.3 only.You've got the Amazon app store ok not brilliant but not bad either and with with a few tweaks you have full access to google apps and Play store. My Passport is my daily driver with a Lumia 950 XL and Iphone 6S+ as backups was meant to be the other way round but the passport literally floored me after i had modified it, it was literally so fluid to use the interconnectivity between apps and cloud storage. It's as easy to use as an android and actually its better to use. I would be more than happy to pay out for decent apps for my passport and I have friends who would happily so the same for their Blackberry. It's worth developing for the platform and any app developed is then easily converted for android use.
    05-15-17 02:36 AM
    If you have nothing to do, feel free.
    05-15-17 04:31 AM
    OP - are you still around? If not, thread has become a total waste of time....

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 05-15-17 at 06:12 AM.
    05-15-17 06:02 AM
    Didn't I just say the same thing in simpler terms? Lol

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    No, not exactly. What you failed to mention was how sometimes it is worth trying to appeal to a smaller market and having higher chance of being noticed (maybe) rather than appealing to a larger market where may never get noticed. This is chiefly due to the competitiveness in the large market (this being Android).

But BB10 does have other challenges. One issue is that their users are used to having limited apps, limited support and limited app development and as such probably rarely browse for new apps. I certainly never browse for BB10 apps. So in this case it's like trying to appeal to a small market that's not paying attention anymore. But that's speculation, I don't have any statistics to back it up.

If I were the OP I'd try to get my hands on some BB10 app download activity statistics and see where the trendline is at. Also look at the categories where people download the most. If DL activity is declining and not far from 0 ...then it's not worth it. But if DL activity is high, it might be worth a shot.

The question isn't if the market is big or small, but do you have a captive and active audience?
    05-15-17 07:58 AM
    No, not exactly. What you failed to mention was how sometimes it is worth trying to appeal to a smaller market and having higher chance of being noticed (maybe) rather than appealing to a larger market where may never get noticed. This is chiefly due to the competitiveness in the large market (this being Android).

But BB10 does have other challenges. One issue is that their users are used to having limited apps, limited support and limited app development and as such probably rarely browse for new apps. I certainly never browse for BB10 apps. So in this case it's like trying to appeal to a small market that's not paying attention anymore. But that's speculation, I don't have any statistics to back it up.

If I were the OP I'd try to get my hands on some BB10 app download activity statistics and see where the trendline is at. Also look at the categories where people download the most. If DL activity is declining and not far from 0 ...then it's not worth it. But if DL activity is high, it might be worth a shot.

The question isn't if the market is big or small, but do you have a captive and active audience?
    But they could let everybody here on CrackBerry know...LOL

Then again even the OP never came back.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-17 09:15 AM
    Those are some nicely-produced videos. Thanks, Euro-Matt Damon, Jr.!

I'll bet fewer than 10% of Passport users have ever purchased an app, much less your specific app. In answer to your question, several hundred thousand users who don't think much about apps - because they bought a Passport - is not a market worth addressing.
    This is all moot as far as BB10, of course, but maybe not irrelevant for people like the OP.

I may be representative of BB10 users at present. Certainly I am an example of a longtime BlackBerry user who used BBOS for years and who has been using BB10 all along. And I'm a Passport user. PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163

So, if I'm any reference point....

We do care about apps. But we aren't the type who looks for an app for every little thing.

Maybe it's true that we don't buy many apps, but neither are we the type who complains about no free app for this or that. We do buy apps, and it may be that we are more likely to prefer paying for performance rather than hunting for the no-cost alternative, or cracking the for-pay service.

Again, if I'm any example, it is probably the case that we buy high end apps with high end prices; and also that we tend to buy the additional in-app-purchase premium features.

So, to repeat, we do care about apps, and we do buy apps, but we are looking for capability and quality. We tend to go our own way, buy what we need and will use to our profit, and not follow the herd.

The question is whether a developer can make a decent income off of a crowd like mine. I don't know. There are good arguments in this thread that we are high quality customers but alas there aren't many of us. But what I can say is I won't be using Android. Not even BlackBerry's Android. Nor will I be using iOS either. Developers won't make any money off me on those platforms. Probably that doesn't matter to developers because there aren't many like me.

In the future there will be a smartphone platform for users like me. Someone is bound to try. There is a general belief that we are on the fringe beginning of a revolution in personall devices. Maybe. I don't know what that is going to be. If our Passports die before we have a suitable replacement then I will figure out something. But I will still be the same user I describe above.
    05-17-17 05:21 PM
    This is all moot as far as BB10, of course, but maybe not irrelevant for people like the OP.

I may be representative of BB10 users at present. Certainly I am an example of a longtime BlackBerry user who used BBOS for years and who has been using BB10 all along. And I'm a Passport user. PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163

We do care about apps. But we aren't the type who looks for an app for every little thing.

Maybe it's true that we don't buy many apps, but neither are we the type who complains about no free app for this or that. We do buy apps, and it may be that we are more likely to prefer paying for performance rather than hunting for the no-cost alternative, or cracking the for-pay service.

Again, if I'm any example, it is probably the case that we buy high end apps with high end prices; and also that we tend to buy the additional in-app-purchase premium features.

So, to repeat, we do care about apps, and we do buy apps, but we are looking for capability and quality. We tend to go our own way, buy what we need and will use to our profit, and not follow the herd.

The question is whether a developer can make a decent income off of a crowd like mine. I don't know. There are good arguments in this thread that we are high quality customers but alas there aren't many of us. But what I can say is I won't be using Android. Not even BlackBerry's Android. Nor will I be using iOS either. Developers won't make any money off me on those platforms. Probably that doesn't matter to developers because there aren't many like me.

In the future there will be a smartphone platform for users like me. Someone is bound to try. There is a general belief that we are on the fringe beginning of a revolution in personall devices. Maybe. I don't know what that is going to be. If our Passports die before we have a suitable replacement then I will figure out something. But I will still be the same user I describe above.
    Good luck with that..
    05-17-17 06:34 PM
    Good luck with that..
    I'm not the least bit worried about myself.
    05-18-17 08:30 AM

This is so true!
    I have a business that relies heavily on social networks, camera, email and honestly both Classic and Passport (with two or three android apps) are perfect. And yes, I also buy some good apps from Bbw

Posted via CB10
    05-20-17 02:24 AM
68 123