I'm looking for feedback from those who are using the new Passport. I've got to say that while I find the Passport intriguing, I'm on the fence over the keyboard. The keyboard is essentially the heart of Blackberry devices and they've lopped off an entire row and placed it on a screen. Why?! Having shift and alt keys where they are on the Q10 makes sense, on the Passport it seems counter-intuitive as I think it involves moving my fingers from a natural position to reach for them now on a virtual screen. Am I correct? I'm wondering how easy it is to do "blind" typing without looking at the screen? Where they went right is to make the keyboard into a touchpad, as well as to make the screen larger (my eyes get tired of looking at the small screen of a Q10). I know I will test drive a unit if I can - which seems an impossible endeavour with Rogers.
    10-14-14 02:22 PM
    It's better

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 02:32 PM
    Better! Need a few days to week to become proficient at it. Then much better.

Posted with my awesome Blackberry Passport
    10-14-14 02:34 PM
    It's different but getting used to it. Only my third day but liking it so far

Blackberry Passport on the TELUS network
    10-14-14 02:39 PM
    It is amazing. The virtual keyboard row is sort of difficult to get the hang of, but it's rare that you reach for it because of the predictive text. When you do, a swipe down on physical keypad is actually quicker than the alt keys, especially when entering more than one symbol or number. Swipe once instead of pushing alt before every character

Similarly, swiping down maps the symbols to the physical keyboard, so it is actually quicker to swipe than reach for the alt key. It takes a few days to have the mapping become second nature, but it's worth the learning curve.

The virtual row only acts as a quick access to likely symbols in any particular situation.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 02:41 PM
    I had been using a Z10 as I found the Blackberry phones with keyboards difficult to use. The Passport though has a very easy to use keyboard and I'm not sure if I understand the lack of a fourth row as it comes up at a touch. The Passport gives the keyboard for those who pine for the old models and the touch screen for the old Z10 or Z30 users. This is truly a great smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 02:41 PM
    There is a learning period for getting used of the keyboard. For me it took a week to be as much productive as I was with my Z30.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    10-15-14 12:51 PM
    Takes about a week to adapt to, and about another week to break it in mechanically,.. but once it's done,.. it's much better than what you could have hoped for.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 01:16 PM
    I'm on day two right now. If all you've ever used is the "traditional" BB keyboard, this will be quite an adjustment. I'm finding that the keys are almost too wide, but I expect to adjust.

Pros:
    - Swipe-up for word completion possibly better than on the Z10/30 virtual keyboard
    - Nice key feel
    - Good to have keyboard equivalents for top/bottom, page down, reader mode for web
    - Scrolling from touch keyboard is a great usability feature, particularly turning long documents sideways to use the kb as a vertical scroller
    - Large letter keys easy to hit accurately

CONS
    - Hybrid physical/virtual layout has a learning curve (but not a steep one)
    - Wide keys take some getting used to
    - Not all apps take advantage of touch keyboard yet
    10-15-14 01:21 PM
    Basically from what I can see, you basically shift from looking down a row to looking up a row over a traditional BlackBerry keyboard. That is why the keyboard is squashed so low on the Passport. The virtual keys is low enough for you to swipe & touch as needed.

I believe it is a "blend" of both the physical and virtual elements of a BlackBerry keyboard and at least for me, I think it is better. It will take some time to get used to it. For example, I still press the Z key thinking it as Alt.
    jamierj likes this.
    10-15-14 01:21 PM
    I think if you've only ever used touchscreens like me it's much easier to grasp.

For folks that have always used physical keyboards then the traditional might be better for them but I never really came to grips with the alt key when using the traditional keyboards so this one is much better for me.

It's a lot cleaner as well without having all symbols and numbers on the physical keys.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 01:25 PM
    It certainly has a learning curve. I used a Q10 previously and was able to adjust to the Passport fairly quickly. If you swipe down on the keyboard, the symbols and numbers map themselves to the keyboard so you can type without looking. After a week, I'm able to type as quickly as I did on my Q10.

I like the Passport's keyboard, but whether or not it's better than the old 4-row QWERTY keyboards from a pure typing perspective might be more of a matter of preference. I wasn't entirely sold on it at first either, but it's grown on me.
    10-15-14 01:26 PM
    Cannot convince anyone when what the OP asked is basically personal experience... as we all have different needs and ways of doing things ( for me it is stubby fingers ) determine whether this will work well or not....
    10-15-14 01:33 PM
    Thank you all for your insight. I ended up picking one up on Sunday after spending some time with an active demo model. I think I was lucky, as I got the last one and another guy asked for one as well while my order was being processed. Thus far, I'm loving the Passport - the only concern ongoing is the character keys (I'm still getting used to it).

dbmalloy - I agree that it's an individual's choice in the end, but having others' perspective let's one focus their time during a demo to possibly catch issues and see if it works for them. It may be imperfect but it works - saved me from having to ask some obvious questions as well as saved me time.
    10-21-14 08:33 AM