For years my preference for making calls has been via a headset of some description or another. Recently, my wife gave up her Passport to use her Priv full time and I took it over to replace my own PP that died a slow and ugly death. The issue is that when using a headset the device speakers remain on, in fact, no sound comes out of the headset at all, only the main speaker but the microphone still works. This happens with both wired and BT sets and it doesn't matter how I adjust the settings, even muting the main speakers the result is the same; sound out of the PP speaker not the headset.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
    09-07-16 05:30 PM
    i had the same issue once. Have you tried a reboot?
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    09-07-16 10:22 PM
    I'd try a reboot first... I had that issue before and quick reboot solved the problem. If reboot doesn't help, I could be hardware...

Posted via CB10
    09-07-16 10:37 PM
    It isn't hardware-based, it's software, at least in my opinion. I am currently going through the same issue, and a reboot cures it every time, although temporarily. I am on my third Passport under warranty for this issue, and they have all done it. I haven't figured out what app or website causes it yet, or file. But it's pretty annoying. Maybe if they updated BB10......??

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 05:38 AM
    I know this may be a dumb question but have you tried various sets of wired headsets? Also try buying a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter to see if it works. I know I had a similar issue with a bluetooth device and the adapter fixed it.
    If all else fails have either of you wiped it and started from scratch, not a backup and reloaded everything? That usually fixes all the software glitches.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 05:45 AM
    You'll need to do a factory reset.

People refuse to address or acknowledge it, but the playback software can be infected by things as simple as visiting a website or installing certain apps.

And the only way to fix it is to reload OS and stay away from the website or app that infected and corrupt the audio file in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 07:49 AM
    You'll need to do a factory reset.

People refuse to address or acknowledge it, but the playback software can be infected by things as simple as visiting a website or installing certain apps.

And the only way to fix it is to reload OS and stay away from the website or app that infected and corrupt the audio file in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    Oh yeah I see those all the time and quickly click the back button or close the app. {sarcasm}

And how would anyone know what sites those are? I have been to many questionable sites and never had this issue. I don't know what the problem is exactly but I doubt it's a website.

If you do, do a factory reset be sure not to restore a backup. That will just put the problem back in. Reload everything from scratch.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 11:15 AM
    Thanks for all your replies, 'Likes' are coming once I'm back at the office.

I've trying rebooting several times and several ways, hard and soft. It doesn't work. I've also tried 3 wired headsets and one BT all with the same results. It doesn't matter if it's a phone call, I'm listening to music, listening to the AM tuner or on a BBM call, etc, the sound always comes out of the PP's speaker. I've even tried muting the speaker, to no avail sound always comes out of it.

Currently I'm not willing to do a full factory reset as I haven't been able to get Link to complete a full back up for months now on any device. Just recently replaced that software and still no go. I don't feel comfortable doing something quite as deep as that without having a back up.

Just as a point of interest all my music files have been ripped by me from legitimate sources that I own, and all have been in FLAC format.

Thanks all. Will keep trying.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 12:29 PM
    Thanks for all your replies, 'Likes' are coming once I'm back at the office.

I've trying rebooting several times and several ways, hard and soft. It doesn't work. I've also tried 3 wired headsets and one BT all with the same results. It doesn't matter if it's a phone call, I'm listening to music, listening to the AM tuner or on a BBM call, etc, the sound always comes out of the PP's speaker. I've even tried muting the speaker, to no avail sound always comes out of it.

Currently I'm not willing to do a full factory reset as I haven't been able to get Link to complete a full back up for months now on any device. Just recently replaced that software and still no go. I don't feel comfortable doing something quite as deep as that without having a back up.

Just as a point of interest all my music files have been ripped by me from legitimate sources that I own, and all have been in FLAC format.

Thanks all. Will keep trying.

Posted via CB10
    Forget the backup, like I said you'd be just putting the problem back in. Save all you need to an SD card and make sure it's not encrypted! Remove the card and do the factory reset and set it all up again from Scratch. That's the only suggestion I have. I never restore my phones from a backup. Just save what you need.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 02:01 PM
    Forget the backup, like I said you'd be just putting the problem back in. Save all you need to an SD card and make sure it's not encrypted! Remove the card and do the factory reset and set it all up again from Scratch. That's the only suggestion I have. I never restore my phones from a backup. Just save what you need.

Posted via CB10
    That was pretty much what I was going to do but the factory reset has stalled. I started at 3:00pm yesterday and by 11pm it had got to 93% done. It's now 18 hours later (more ore less) and it's at 97%. Never has a reset taken this long before, generally they're about 5 or 6 hours. Is there anything I can do?
    09-09-16 07:49 AM
    Still stuck at 97%
    09-09-16 09:24 AM
    Still stuck at 97%
    Are you doing a Factory reset via Blackberry Link on your PC or are you doing a Security Wipe via your Passport? Because if it is the latter, this "stuck at 97%" is a very common problem and usually results in an extremely long wait. I usually end up rebooting the Passport, attaching it to my PC and installing a new OS with an autoloader.
    09-09-16 09:51 AM
    Are you doing a Factory reset via Blackberry Link on your PC or are you doing a Security Wipe via your Passport? Because if it is the latter, this "stuck at 97%" is a very common problem and usually results in an extremely long wait. I usually end up rebooting the Passport, attaching it to my PC and installing a new OS with an autoloader.
    I was doing a factory reset via Link, all seemed to be well until around 70% when it started to stall and slow down, since then it's a virtual stop. Now sitting at 98%.
    09-09-16 09:56 AM
    I was doing a factory reset via Link, all seemed to be well until around 70% when it started to stall and slow down, since then it's a virtual stop. Now sitting at 98%.
    This is a fairly unusual situation and you may have to yank the plug and start over. If you do that, however, you will probably have to use an autoloader. (which is NOT the end of the world!). Leave it for a while longer and in the meantime maybe download that autoloader. What OS is the reset attempting to put on your device?

edit: you don't literally need to unplug the usb, you can just hold the power button down on your Passport for about 10-15 seconds until the red led flashes, then let go and hopefully the bootloader will engage and it will attempt another reset.
    09-09-16 10:20 AM
    Common problem, easy fix. Mine does the same thing. You have to cycle it on and off maybe a half dozen times until you get this error screen, then do a system restore through your computer using BlackBerry Link. It'll take minutes and you're done. The procedure is explained in detail in these forums

Posted via CB10
    09-09-16 10:24 AM
    ....and this is turning out to be a rampant problem. The guy trying to buy my replacement Passport had the same issue with his. Maybe a simple update would solve this? I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting....

Posted via CB10
    09-09-16 10:26 AM
    Had to go out last night so left my PP device to do its thing. Came home and the screen showed a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the middle and below that a link to www.bberror.com/bb10-015 which is a general KB page with nothing about the problem at hand. Device won't shut off.

Given up.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
    09-10-16 08:01 AM
    That's a good thing! I think that's the error screen you want to get to, if you plug in to your computer and restore it using BlackBerry Link, it'll wipe it and you'll be back in business in minutes!

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 11:58 AM
    Check your forum posting!

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 11:59 AM
    I'll have to try that some other time but thanks for the advice. In the mean time, as I've given away all my BB10 devices and a 9790 to family and friends I've got the good old 9700 up and running as a back up. Slow as molasses and suddenly I'm not so keen on the KB but it's a tank and never let me down.
    09-10-16 12:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not entirely sure what you mean by this.
    09-10-16 01:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Never mind, I get it now
    09-10-16 06:39 PM
    That's a good thing! I think that's the error screen you want to get to, if you plug in to your computer and restore it using BlackBerry Link, it'll wipe it and you'll be back in business in minutes!

Posted via CB10
    Did what you said and it kinda sorta worked. I was able to reload a fresh OS and apps and the device is certainly zippier and crisper feeling. Problem is, I still have the headset issue. Sound still projects from the speakers with both wired and wireless headsets.

I guess I'll have to see whether this is fixed when 10.3 is eventually released. Seems odd I'm reading comments here, at BlackBerry Central (I think) and BlackBerry 's own forums of people having the same issue. Not a whole ton but a reasonable enough of an amount to suggest this isn't a hardware issue.

Anyway, thanks all for the tips and advice.
    09-11-16 11:52 AM
    The only thing I can suggest, is that one of our apps, or a website we visit, does this to our phones. Trying to find out what one(s) is too exhausting for me to bear, so I'm bailing on my Passport. Incidentally, I'm now using my Z10 with all the same apps, and probably having visited all the same websites , with no issues. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 01:02 PM
    The only thing I can suggest, is that one of our apps, or a website we visit, does this to our phones. Trying to find out what one(s) is too exhausting for me to bear, so I'm bailing on my Passport. Incidentally, I'm now using my Z10 with all the same apps, and probably having visited all the same websites , with no issues. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    For my Passport, I pinned pointed it down to a web site.

As long as I stayed away from the web site I never had an issue, with a OS reload. But as soon as I would log into the website, the issue would start.

So had to do an OS reload to fix the audio again.
    09-11-16 07:21 PM
33 12