When I saw the first pictures of BlackBerry Passport parts I really didn't know what to expect.. Big square screen, strange looking keyboard. All seemed a little bit unusual..

After seeing the real life pictures and the short video demonstration by Mr. Chen, I'm still a little bit confused really. The specs are really good and there are a lot of unique features that mix great with the ever maturing BB10 os. I just want to see how it looks in my hand before I'm going to decide whether I will buy it or not.

However, whatever what my opinion is concerning the device itself, I think this is also a brilliant marketing trick!! And here's why:

The device is refreshing in a landscape where 95% of the smartphones have the same look/form factor. In the past refreshing devices, like e.g. the iPod, were promoted by celebs.

Apparently, a lot of celebs had a BlackBerry in the past. Why? Because the phones were unique in their time. Unique for functioning and famous for their keyboard.

Not only celebs are a promotor of unique devices, famous business men (or famous actors playing that role in a movie e.g.) are as well to many people. It is often the case that whatever celebs have, their followers want have it too because people want to identify themselves with them.

With Chen's strategy to refocus BlackBerry back to its roots: businesses and business users, BlackBerry has to give those users an unique tool.

For BlackBerry, those users have proven to be great ambassadors for the company in the past. And to be an ambassador they need an unique tool with unique features to show off. Now finally BlackBerry has made the bold move to create such an unique tool with the BlackBerry passport.

So whether people like the device or not, it doesn't really matter. It creates a lot of buzz and discussion and that's exactly what BlackBerry needs right now.

Combine that with ambassadors that have an unique and amazing tool to show off to non BlackBerry business users (with Android apps when necessarily), and you have a brilliant marketing strategy for BlackBerry which has proven itself already 10-15 years ago!

So could this really be the beginning of a new mobile computing era for BlackBerry? I certainly hope so and love the bold and well thought strategy they are applying now!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 07:21 AM
    I really like your analysis of this! I also think because the size and shape are so unique, it will bring a lot of attention.
    Here's to hoping the Passport sells like hotcakes!
    neoberry99 and jelle_57 like this.
    06-25-14 08:18 AM
    I really like your analysis of this! I also think because the size and shape are so unique, it will bring a lot of attention.
    Here's to hoping the Passport sells like hotcakes!
    Same here!
    06-25-14 09:33 AM
    Actually I didnt like passport too, but I might buy it just for "be different" factor

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 01:50 PM