04-05-18 11:03 AM
52 123
tools
    So I noticed the Blackberry logo on the back of my passport has started turning an orange/brown/red colour. I'm very careful with my devices so I don't know why this has happened. I tried cleaning it but no luck. So could it be rust?

Very bizarre. I've put my BB back in its leather case because I don't want it getting worse, especially given I have another year and a half before my contract is up.

Has anybody else experiencing EC this? Do you think it's too minor to ask for a replacement? (I pay for insurance from my provider). Or should I somehow try and find a new logo sticker to put on the back?
    02-15-15 08:43 AM
    Hard to determine if it's rust without any pics.

Could it be a stain from the leather? What color is your case?

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 09:19 AM
    Just curious, did the symbol actually get wet? Do you live in a humid area?

Cheers,
    MM
    02-15-15 09:26 AM
    What have you been cleaning it with?

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 09:37 AM
    It is highly unlikely it would be rust. Assuming you have not been using your Passport in the shower or using some sort of bizarre cleaner, it is more likely to be a reaction with some of chemical(s) left over from the leather treatment process.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 09:46 AM
    So I noticed the Blackberry logo on the back of my passport has started turning an orange/brown/red colour. I'm very careful with my devices so I don't know why this has happened. I tried cleaning it but no luck. So could it be rust?

Very bizarre. I've put my BB back in its leather case because I don't want it getting worse, especially given I have another year and a half before my contract is up.

Has anybody else experiencing EC this? Do you think it's too minor to ask for a replacement? (I pay for insurance from my provider). Or should I somehow try and find a new logo sticker to put on the back?
    Maybe its just the copper or other metal. They chromed it and now its wearing off.
    02-15-15 10:20 AM
    I have only ever cleaned it with a damp cloth, and the leather case is the official leather flip case in tan, but it doesn't touch the leather, just the soft sticky pad inside.

BB Logo Rusting-imageuploadedbycb-forums1424017281.180212.jpg
    02-15-15 10:21 AM
    I know it seems really anal, but for a premium device I don't expect this to happen.
    02-15-15 10:22 AM
    I have only ever cleaned it with a damp cloth, and the leather case is the official leather flip case in tan, but it doesn't touch the leather, just the soft sticky pad inside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1424017281.180212.jpg 
Views:	4099 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	333786
    Ouch:/
    It looks like the chrome is really wearing off! (like I said before your pictures)
    i think they should give you a replacement.
    02-15-15 10:25 AM
    I also have pretty serious light bleed from the keyboard. I might inform my carrier about both these things, and surely it qualifies for a replacement. Especially given I have insurance.
    02-15-15 10:26 AM
    I also have pretty serious light bleed from the keyboard. I might inform my carrier about both these things, and surely it qualifies for a replacement. Especially given I have insurance.
    Pics?
    Joey5761 likes this.
    02-15-15 11:03 AM

Congrats, you have a gold logo lol

But seriously metal (chrome) turns to that color if the device entered in contact with an anti chalk mixture...used to clean the kitchen and bathroom

Posted via CB10
    mister2d likes this.
    02-15-15 11:17 AM
    Ah bugger, I think I did use a kitchen cleaner on a cloth once. Oops. But still, I might be able to get a new one from my insurance. I've never claimed before and the lightbleed does annoy me anyway.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 01:14 PM
    Ah bugger, I think I did use a kitchen cleaner on a cloth once. Oops. But still, I might be able to get a new one from my insurance. I've never claimed before and the lightbleed does annoy me anyway.

Posted via CB10
    That might be your issue right there. Whatever you used may have removed whatever protective coating the metal had thus resulting in what you see now. You may still be able to get a new one though.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 05:01 PM
    It might be your fault if you have used a (rather aggressive) kitchen or bathroom cleaner. For cleaning, I highly recommend mild, special screen cleaners. Not only for the display, but rather the whole device. There are many options there, have been cleaning all my devices (and computer screens) with a special cleaner made by Rogge and it works good so far. I might try out that hip "Whoosh!" cleaner soon though.

Btw. consider yourself lucky, other people's Passport lost parts of that logo because the glue BlackBerry applied wasn't up to the task...

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 05:27 PM
    Hi, mine has done the same and looks pink.. I haven't used cleaner on it, and I've been on holiday for the past 2 weeks so I used it a lot then, and that's when I noticed it... It wasn't hot where I went, so I didn't have sunscreen on my hands or anything like that. Some parts of it almost look scratched, but I never put my passport in a pocket with anything else in it.

I don't really want to return it, but is there anything I can do to restore it (without getting silver all over the back )
    Hulk123 likes this.
    03-15-15 02:36 PM
    u got insurance run over it then go get a new one
    03-15-15 03:51 PM
    Plastic rusts?
    03-15-15 03:53 PM
    Wonder if it is just the chrome plating coming off
    Last edited by vvildstar; 03-17-15 at 08:31 AM.
    03-17-15 07:38 AM
    Under the chrome plating is certainly a copper color
    03-17-15 07:49 AM
    Congrats, you have a gold logo lol

But seriously metal (chrome) turns to that color if the device entered in contact with an anti chalk mixture...used to clean the kitchen and bathroom

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking that too..."Ya gold looks pretty cool, can you make the rest of it go that colour? "

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    03-17-15 08:32 AM
    Mine seems to have rusted too. Bull****, considering I played 800 after taxes for the stupid phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 08:41 AM
    I have the same problem at the exact same places. I do not use case. I live in southern Ontario

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    03-17-15 08:41 AM
    My logo has also turned from silver to bronze. My phone has been in a case since day 1 and I have not used any cleaner on it.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    03-17-15 09:06 AM
    Same here. It gives it a certain roguish character

P.

Posted via my fantabulous crackberry passport!
    moosbb likes this.
    03-17-15 11:13 AM
52 123