I was charging my Passport on a Thinkpad hub at work, and noticed it wasn't gaining a charge. I went home at lunch and grabbed the first plug I could find, which I think is an old iPhone plug, but might just be some generic plug, so I could plug directly into an outlet.

I plugged in the charger and got a message like "If you want your phone to charge faster, use the charger that came with your phone."

So, my question is, what's the difference? I only have 1 official BB charger, and it's plugged in beside my bed so I can charge my phone at night.

Related to that, I'm still on 10.3.1.1581. Has anyone else noticed that the Passport seems to get hot using this update, and drains the battery life more quickly?
    Muhannad MTP likes this.
    04-13-15 04:57 PM
    BlackBerry10 phones conform to the USB standards that require charge sources capable of over 500ma signal it over the data lines of the port. Devices designed for Apples devices do not always follow the USB wiring standard as Apples does the signalling via the cable.

A charge only cable would solve your problem. AT&T used to sell them for BlackBerry phones. It is basically a USB cable with a resistance or short across the two data lines.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 05:26 PM
    Uhh.. I think the charger that comes with the Passport is 1.3A and the charger that ships with new iPhone is 1A, so, if you want to charge your device faster then use a higher rate charger.

A USB cable connected to a PC can only draw .5A, unless it's a Mac.
    04-13-15 05:33 PM
    I use only the 850ma charger from the old Bold to charge my wife's Passport. I like it better than the stock charger since it keeps the battery cool while being charged. The 500ma car charger also works but it going to be much slower. I'd ignore the slow charge warning as it does no harm to use a slower charge as along as it produces enough juice to charge the battery. On the other hand, I'll never use a rapid charger.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 09:27 PM
    Like many ppl here, I use the Playbook yellow tipped charger with my Passport, works like a charm...

...eleven BlackBerrys and counting....
    04-14-15 08:57 AM
    Use a nokia charger myself. Never had a message and works fine!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 09:46 AM
    I use only the 850ma charger from the old Bold to charge my wife's Passport. I like it better than the stock charger since it keeps the battery cool while being charged. The 500ma car charger also works but it going to be much slower. I'd ignore the slow charge warning as it does no harm to use a slower charge as along as it produces enough juice to charge the battery. On the other hand, I'll never use a rapid charger.

Posted via CB10
    You hit the nail on the head! Sometimes I use the Q10 Z10 charger for my Passport. Nothing beats a slow charge.

Rapid charging warms up the battery more and also doesn't last as long.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 10:14 AM
    I use the plug that came with the phone but a generic 10ft usb cable I bought for $3 off ebay... not sure what voltage it is but I do get that message on my phone when I plug it in. However, it still charges under 1hr. With the Q10 I used the same cable with the plug that came with the phone and it would NOT charge.... til I updated from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1. Then it worked the same way as on the Passport, gave me the warning message but still charged just fine. Not sure if that's a coincidence or what. Just though that was interesting.

 = ♥
    04-14-15 12:17 PM
    You hit the nail on the head! Sometimes I use the Q10 Z10 charger for my Passport. Nothing beats a slow charge.

Rapid charging warms up the battery more and also doesn't last as long.

Posted via CB10
    You're not gonna notice any degradation unless you plan on keeping the phone for a very long time.
    04-14-15 12:37 PM
    As I me running multiple phones all time, I use multi-port plug to charge and work alright so far.

BB charger vs other chargers?-img_20150415_134058.jpg

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    04-15-15 01:41 AM
    Uhh.. I think the charger that comes with the Passport is 1.3A and the charger that ships with new iPhone is 1A, so, if you want to charge your device faster then use a higher rate charger.

A USB cable connected to a PC can only draw .5A, unless it's a Mac.
    You can purchase ultra high capacity chargers upwardly 2.1amps on crackberry!

 PassportSQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2708 Rogers Wireless
    04-16-15 02:01 AM
    Have been using these chargers to charge my z10 and dac
    BlackBerry 1.8 A (Z10 within about an hour and a quarter) ,0.7A and moto 1.1 A and Lenovo 1.0A....

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 02:26 AM
    You're not gonna notice any degradation unless you plan on keeping the phone for a very long time.
    I do plan on keeping this phone a while. I'm even more anal now that it's a integrated battery.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:44 AM