Did it ever occur to you that there are 10 keys horizontally on the keyboard? Therefore the numbers will likely appear all in one row, one above each key so you will really have only one virtual row of keys overlaid, not three rows.

Also, I'd like to leave these for you here as a present...just so all of you can understand how editing a spreadsheet using Microsoft Office on Android 4.4.2 KitKat looks like when using one of the Android flagships, the LG G2 (my phone). Resolution is 1920x1080.

BB advertises the Passport more efficient than competition in using spreadsheets...-screenshot_2014-07-08-10-34-09.jpgBB advertises the Passport more efficient than competition in using spreadsheets...-screenshot_2014-07-08-10-34-42.jpgBB advertises the Passport more efficient than competition in using spreadsheets...-screenshot_2014-07-08-10-34-58.pngBB advertises the Passport more efficient than competition in using spreadsheets...-screenshot_2014-07-08-10-34-52.png

So yeah, bash all you want but the Passport *is* going to provide a superior experience, even if it popped up 4 rows of keys. Oh and one more detail, the SwiftKey keyboard on my LG G2 is set to a smaller size. If it was full size you'd see no more than a title bar in landscape mode.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Last edited by dejanh; 07-08-14 at 12:43 PM.
    grover5, ronfc, yasmar and 5 others like this.
    07-08-14 12:29 PM
    What's that? Oh, it's just crickets chirping.
    07-08-14 12:54 PM
    First important annotation on my part (my personal feedback): Even though the OP mentioned it, I want to leave it pretty clear: There is no way on earth, that any really serious spreadsheet editing or creation will ever take place on a mobile phone with an effective and painless way...i.e spreadsheet work is done on computers and maybe some tablets, at (at least with the current standards in the phone market and to my up to now experience with all my peers, clients, colleagues).

Who says otherwise, please do demonstrate it to me, since the only possible alternative to a pc is a tablet, and even then, the use is also limited in being effective and fast to a degree (unless you have a 10in tablet with keyboard, like an ipad for instance, in which case I might as well have my macbook with me)

So, since the OP compares it to other phones in this case I will say, it is all the same as NO phone is apt for real spreadsheet editing.
    Now for viewing I would have a great advantage using the passport, so there, I think it gives me more than what it takes away in that respect. Plus, my phone choice (Q10) is not based on spreadsheet as a primary deciding factor. That means that this is low on my list (being the case as admitted by the OP and seconded here, that editing spreadsheet on a mobile is... well... "confined"...). So, i get some improvement that is considerable by the viewing experience increase on something that would not determine my purchase, done, it is welcome. (I am talking strictly about MY personal evaluation for my use, not imposing this on anyone else or saying others should embrace it - just to be clear on that ).

So, I will not be doing serious editing of spreadsheet anyway. For the occasional time that I really need to edit a spreadsheet on my mobile (a very important urgent issue where no pc is to be found near) I might just try it all the same. So not a big deal for me in that sense.

On the other hand, also we do not know exactly how the keyboard will work yet, so once again (in another thread) maybe we should wait and see, since the so called "dynamic row" is supposed to adapt based on the app or part of the OS you are interacting with.

As a final point, when you do write on BB10 Docs to go on a spreadsheet, you always use the input line on the top of the screen actually that is then reflected in the cell, so I do not really see how the virtual keyboard would make the experience worse.

And if I am using my imagination to see the vk on the other phones and not the passport, the image itself is biased because it keeps telling my brain, that those other phones have more space on screen; I am not incapable of imagining it, but I tell you subconsciously we all see what there is there: more space in the other phones. So, even though I understand the OP felt it was too much hassle to put the VK on the other phones, still that image is not helping, but it is rather distorting the appreciation of the real situation.

Sorry OP, I am not bashing you in any way and neither am I defending the Passport here.
    The above is my honest opinion and observations.

As for the passport in general, I will repeat for the 100th time (in various threads already), I am positively inclined, yes, but I do not know if it will serve me well until I get hands on it and try it out. Most probably I will get one just for the fun of it, but I do not know if it would serve me. So it is not about "loving" the phone.

Cheers.
    itsyaboy, MarsupilamiX and ubizmo like this.
    07-08-14 01:02 PM
    Well, for viewing only, yes you can put the competition on landscape, but while editing now their virtual keyboard would take up most of that... So his point about the passport still having a slight advantage over them is a valid point, I'm not arguing that, but I think the advantage could be so much more if they had kept the numbers and symbols on the keyboard so there wasn't a need for a virtual keyboard.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    to be fair since you compare a future phone (passport) you should compare it to the Iphone 6 not the 5
    07-08-14 01:06 PM
    Then we will see what? That is comparing a phablet with two phones?
    Compare that with the Galaxy Note, not the Galaxy S4.
    Then you can add the virtual keyboard on the Galaxy Note. You'll see that the screen is bigger, even with keyboard enabled.
    Bigger, not wider?

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    07-08-14 01:55 PM
    The fact that you have Microsoft Office on your Android means it's already better than BlackBerry's Docs to Go, sadly.

Posted via CB10
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    07-08-14 02:07 PM
    Alright, I've edited my post with the virtual keyboards on the competition. Had some time between the things I need to do tonight, figure I don't make you guys wait until tomorrow night for me to try to make my point more clear.
    07-08-14 02:10 PM
    Did it ever occur to you that there are 10 keys horizontally on the keyboard? Therefore the numbers will likely appear all in one row, one above each key so you will really have only one virtual row of keys overlaid, not three rows.

Also, I'd like to leave these for you here as a present...just so all of you can understand how editing a spreadsheet using Microsoft Office on Android 4.4.2 KitKat looks like when using one of the Android flagships, the LG G2 (my phone). Resolution is 1920x1080.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-08-10-34-09.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	283844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-08-10-34-42.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	283845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-08-10-34-58.png 
Views:	455 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	283847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-08-10-34-52.png 
Views:	459 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	283846

So yeah, bash all you want but the Passport *is* going to provide a superior experience, even if it popped up 4 rows of keys. Oh and one more detail, the SwiftKey keyboard on my LG G2 is set to a smaller size. If it was full size you'd see no more than a title bar in landscape mode.

How dare you inject facts and objective logic into this conversation. The bashers were just getting started. Give them another ten minutes and they would have had those Android handsets making coffee and toast. Oh well, back to the start again.
    ronfc, NaijaBerry and yasmar like this.
    07-08-14 02:11 PM
    No, it's people who have a life and cannot monitor a thread 24/7 to reply at every minute there is a new response...
    07-08-14 02:13 PM
    to be fair since you compare a future phone (passport) you should compare it to the Iphone 6 not the 5
    To be fair, *I* didn't make that comparison. That was by BB. All I did was edit it. And if you want to compare it to iPhone 6, just look at that miscellaneous android device to the right of the Passport... It's about the same size, they all look the same...
    07-08-14 02:14 PM

Numbers AND symbols, as per my original comment and repeated many times in subsequent replies and comments. And this isn't a bash, nowhere did I say that it is worse or bad, just not as good as it could be. I would prefer if there were ZERO virtual bars on the screen while editing. I don't care if it ends up being only 1 row, 2 rows, 3 rows, 4 rows, or 15 rows, I think for MAXIMUM advantage, 0 rows would be the best and that's what we're missing out on now with this new keyboard. Again, already stated and clarified several times throughout this thread, but that's ok, I know we don't all have time to read through it all, but I think I have made it clear in the original comment as well...
    07-08-14 02:17 PM
    How dare you inject facts and objective logic into this conversation. The bashers were just getting started. Give them another ten minutes and they would have had those Android handsets making coffee and toast. Oh well, back to the start again.
    Or maybe you can actually learn to read and comprehend and know that nobody is bashing anything since nowhere did I imply that the phone is in anyway worse than the competition, but that it just isn't as good as it potentially could have been. I don't like to win competitions by one or two points, playing "fair" isn't in my dictionary. You bring a knife I'll draw a gun, I believe in winning by as big of a margin as possible, not "oh, that's still a little bit better." That's the problem now-a-days, people settle for "good enough." In case you haven't noticed, I use a BlackBerry Q10, have no interest of going all-touch with iphone or Android, so your assumption I'm "bashing" BB and trying to make Android and iphone look so good that soon they'll be "making coffee and toast" is just silly and stupid. Oh well, I would say nice try, but it wasn't so nice...
    07-08-14 02:21 PM
    Slagman stop making these useless post(s) man. Noone here has used the phone YET, so Noone will know how these certain functions will work! And a lot of the points you made in your post are all personal preference man, I get it, you have gripes about the passport but Damn dude, your endless flame is rather...endless.

Or... orrrrr
    Don't get the passport

Posted via my STILL NEW Zed30
    07-08-14 02:29 PM
    I need/want the latest and greatest.
    Buy Surface Pro 3.
    walt63 and anon(4044683) like this.
    07-08-14 02:42 PM
    Some very valid points OP......love the passport with the full physical keyboard......but everything is still speculation at this point, valid points based on speculation, hmmmm......but love the full qwerty on the passport though......
    hazarder likes this.
    07-08-14 02:47 PM
    For a moment I read the title as meaning:
    "BlackBerry's Passport advertising campaign to be done on a spreadsheet"
    and well I thought they were cutting costs?
    I thought that too...
    07-08-14 03:01 PM
    Some very valid points OP......love the passport with the full physical keyboard......but everything is still speculation at this point, valid points based on speculation, hmmmm......but love the full qwerty on the passport though......
    How exactly the virtual keyboard will look is speculation, but the fact that we will need some virtual keys is not. So I'm not arguing to what degree it will impede, just stating how much better it could be if NO virtual buttons would be needed at all. :-)

1magine and MarsupilamiX like this.
    07-08-14 03:15 PM
    Slagman stop making these useless post(s) man. Noone here has used the phone YET, so Noone will know how these certain functions will work! And a lot of the points you made in your post are all personal preference man, I get it, you have gripes about the passport but Damn dude, your endless flame is rather...endless.

Or... orrrrr
    Don't get the passport

Posted via my STILL NEW Zed30
    And exactly how useful is your comment? Here's the same advice thrown back at you:

Don't read my posts

1magine likes this.
    07-08-14 03:16 PM
    Has anyone noticed a trend that all of the top threads in the Passport subforum are slagman5, II ARROWS, and 018125 slapping each other on the rear end? Not picking at anyone, just wanted to point out that it's really funny...
    07-08-14 05:17 PM
    Has anyone noticed a trend that all of the top threads in the Passport subforum are slagman5, II ARROWS, and 018125 slapping each other on the rear end? Not picking at anyone, just wanted to point out that it's really funny...
    It's funny how I could say the same to you and Thunderbuck, to name two.

The difference is that we kept changing arguments and telling why it's a bad idea. You don't change anything, not even trying to answer the easy questions, like the symbols on keys.
    07-08-14 05:34 PM
    To be honest, I use spreadsheets for basically 90% of my work and I really don't see the big deal here. Personally, I would only use symbols if I was editing a formula and in my experience I would prefer to put a gun in my mouth then edit an excel formula on my phone. Well, that has been my experience with basically any phone thus far I have tried to use a spreadsheet on, so if the passport is an improvement in anyway I really don't see the gripe.

It seems to me, in my humble opinion, that this whole thread is just nit picking small details because you don't like the keyboard to begin with. Trying to run around waving a big flag screaming "look spreadsheets isn't really as good as they say it is or could be" doesn't have me convinced BB messed up the keyboard design. And, quite honestly, I am fairly certain BB's not going to change the keyboard at this point.

So, this is the second thread I've read by the OP with the exact same point being made but this time it's about how bad spreadsheets will be
    07-08-14 05:41 PM
    You are right! Thats why Im gonna pass the passport!
    .....so you are going to pass on a phone based on somebody's rendering of a hypothetical situation about a phone that they havent seen, held or used and yet you declare them as correct in their assumption? Ok then...brilliant conclusion...as usual
    07-08-14 05:42 PM
    Give me an example

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 05:42 PM
    Well, then I guess it's safe to assume that means there is no merit to what I have brought up. Funny how you haven't stepped up to actually dispel any of the concerns. I'm sure you're just holding back, keeping up the mystery of course. And no, pointing out how it's "still better" isn't any kind of response since I never claimed that it wasn't better...

I find it hilarious when I mention something positive about BB, I'm all of a sudden a fanboy, then when I bring up a concern about a BB now I'm a troll. Can't you guys make up your mind? Or maybe get it through your thick skulls that I'll point out what I'm observing whether it is positive or negative? It's like small minds can't think in anything more complicated than black or white... smh
    07-08-14 05:43 PM
    Here's the easy way out for Blackberry, A Physical Keyboard that has virtual numbers and letters appear as needed.
    Problem solved... Next!
    07-08-14 05:46 PM
226 12345 ...