Hi all,

I've seen some youtube videos that showed opening an changing the passport video. Unfortunately these were all 'normal' PPs, and involved removing a front part - which is not there on the SE .

Has anyone exchanged the battery or a link to an instruction. I just wonder if I can easily remove the backpart...all else should (hopefully) be the same as for other PPs.

best

CB10 on my Passport SE
    12-26-16 02:02 PM
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've dismantled my OG passport, but not my SE yet.

Based on the pictures in the following links, I think maybe the back piece might clip in along the bottom? If it doesnt, and is screwed down like the OG, the only access I can think of is via the speaker grill, but in the pictures, it looks like that grill slides into groves in the steel frame, and isn't designed to be force-ably removed without first having the keyboard out of the way...

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition LCD Assembly with Frame Silver - ETrade Supply
    BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition Keyboard and Keypad Silver - ETrade Supply

I would start with removing the top screws for the back panel, and seeing if it will simply pop off along the bottom edge... if not, then the only way I can think of is to pry off the speaker grill which might reveal some screws.

Edit: Found this:
    https://inforesheniya.ru/aksessuary-...er_Edition/en/

It appears the back panel simply clips into place along the bottom.
    hplovecraft likes this.
    12-26-16 02:16 PM

Edit: Found this:
    https://inforesheniya.ru/aksessuary-...er_Edition/en/

It appears the back panel simply clips into place along the bottom.
    That would be nice. One can remove the screws close to the sim, SD holder and then get rid of the entire backpart.

CB10 on my Passport SE
    12-26-16 02:30 PM
    As posted in other threads I bought a used one year old SE. Unfortunately my battery performance is really bad... Looking into it I saw that the battery health is at 47% which is an extremely bad value. If I don't get an replacement changing the battery is 'my only hope'.

CB10 on my Passport SE
    12-26-16 02:32 PM
    Looking into it I saw that the battery health is at 47% which is an extremely bad value
    That is indeed a poor battery, and was either abused a fair amount or was substandard when new. There is no way the health should have been that bad after only 1 year. Good luck with the replacement!
    12-26-16 02:39 PM
    That is indeed a poor battery, and was either abused a fair amount or was substandard when new. There is no way the health should have been that bad after only 1 year. Good luck with the replacement!
    I agree, after one year that is just ridiculous.

CB10 on my Passport SE
    12-26-16 04:02 PM
    I have fully dismantled a SE. four screws at the top, then take a guitar pick and pry lightly all the way both sides. Don't pull to hard or you could tear the back. Finally, start prying at the bottom. The motherboard and battery are the exact same as the OG. The lcd and the keyboard are slightly different. You need to pull off everything to replace the keyboard.

So to recap.
    1. Take sim cards and sim card tray off.
    2. Take out the four screws at the top instead of six.
    3. Pop the clip at the very top of the phone near the sim and work your way around the sides of the phone, popping all the clips.
    4. Gently pry at the bottom. Two clips are anchored into the speaker housing. They are sturdier than the back panel itself.
    5. Once that is done. Unscrew the speaker and pull it out.
    6. Try not to use heat on the battery. It is better to take out the motherboard before taking out the battery. Unscrew the battery connection and pull the tab. Pull the tabs on the rest of the circuit board you can see.
    7. Unscrew the motherboard from the frame. The black screws are frame screws, and the silver ones are for the motherboard.
    8. Being careful of the USB port on the bottom of the MB, Gently pry and pull until the motherboard comes free.
    9. If stubborn to use heat, use very lightly along one edge just to get it started. Then pry up with a plastic pryer (metal and battery doesn't mix). The glue has a very potent smell, so don't be alarmed. Be patient and gentle. It takes time, and listen for the glue to release on its own. It is reusable.
    10. Get the battery out and replace.
    11. Heat up the glue on the battery lightly and place it firmly in place. Ensure the battery connection is up.

I hope that helps. The keyboard just takes the copper tape taken off and two T1 screws that hold the LCD and screen together.
    12-26-16 04:16 PM
    10. Get the battery out and replace.
    11. Heat up the glue on the battery lightly and place it firmly in place. Ensure the battery connection is up.

I hope that helps. The keyboard just takes the copper tape taken off and two T1 screws that hold the LCD and screen together.
    thanks for the detailed information. On first read it still does not sound too easy..but if necessary I will do my best ;-)

CB10 on my Passport SE
    12-26-16 05:11 PM
    ...and again. Four hours usage and only 30% left ;-)

CB10 on my Passport SE
    12-26-16 05:14 PM
    I would also go in and clear the data from both amazon apps if you are using them. I kept wondering why my Q10 battery kept draining all the time and it was because I was using the Amazon apps which used a lot of battery behind the scenes.

THANOS REIGNS!!!
    12-27-16 04:30 AM
    It is easier than it sounds. The glue holding the battery to the frame is the only careful part. The rest is screws. Just realise you need Torx head screwdrivers and phillips. IF I remember correctly you will need T2,T1 (only keyboard), and phillips. Just take your time man.
    brookie229 and hplovecraft like this.
    12-27-16 01:04 PM
    Just take your time man.
    How true this is. Any time you are working on electronics, the key is to take your time. Quite often a good picture taken can help with putting things back in the right place also.
    Tracy Daken likes this.
    12-27-16 01:09 PM
    I hope these help. All I could find. Take it easy and take pics. All the parts are tough and well made.
    Battery removal PP SE-img_20161203_120121.jpgBattery removal PP SE-img_20161203_120155.jpgBattery removal PP SE-img_20161203_120203.jpgBattery removal PP SE-img_20161203_120208.jpg
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-27-16 02:23 PM
    It is easier than it sounds. The glue holding the battery to the frame is the only careful part. The rest is screws. Just realise you need Torx head screwdrivers and phillips. IF I remember correctly you will need T2,T1 (only keyboard), and phillips. Just take your time man.
    thanks again.

Ordered a mobile phone repair kit with the appropriate tools.

CB10 on my Passport SE
    12-27-16 05:43 PM
    Hi all,

I've seen some youtube videos that showed opening an changing the passport video. Unfortunately these were all 'normal' PPs, and involved removing a front part - which is not there on the SE .

Has anyone exchanged the battery or a link to an instruction. I just wonder if I can easily remove the backpart...all else should (hopefully) be the same as for other PPs.

best

CB10 on my Passport SE
    I have changed a few:

1.) remove top SIM card holder. This is the silver plastic.
    2.) remove all small tek screws. (4) note position as some are shorter. Also you may have to remove black stick/tape on some heads.
    3.) use a guitar pick starting at top (side) to work back of phone off. Be careful as back will crack easily. Work your way around back paying close attention to bottom corners of back plate.
    4.) once removed you will see the battery. The battery cable has another screw to hold down the plug.
    5.) some batteries have pull strips installed, if it does carefully work battery up from backing plate. Do not force but use gentle pulling and work slowly. Should your battery not have pull strips installed, than you will have to remove the motherboard. It is held in multiple places by more screws. One note all the connecting cables must be removed with the pick. Do not use anything metallic or sharp as the cables and sockets are easily damaged.
    12-28-16 02:14 PM
    So I just wanted to give an updated how the battery swap went.

Tip1: Removing the backcover on the top is quite easy. But it seemed my cover was clued to the motherboard close to the speaker. I really had to use some force to get it off. I do not recommend using a spatula on the lower area as it damages easily. Just pull from the top.

Error: Rookie mistake... I had two very similar screw drivers on my work table grabbed the wrong one. It just needed one turn and one of the motherboard screws was damaged - these are like butter. So I could not get off the motherboard. Had to use the spatula to very slowly and gently get the battery of, but it worked.

Tip2: Have some glue-tape ready to keep the new battery in place.

All in all I now have a brand new battery in my PP, and so far all works fine. Thanks for all da help.

CB10 on my Classic
    brookie229 and dmlis like this.
    02-06-17 09:49 AM
    How easy is it to replace the Sim tray?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 10:07 AM
    How much does the Passport SE battery cost and do you know of any good vendors?

The Etrade link does not show any SE batteries in their online inventory.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 01:27 PM
    I got it on German amazon, just searched for passport battery. It did cost 30€.... Had no BlackBerry markings or such but was exactly the same.

CB10 on my Classic
    02-07-17 02:27 PM