Hello.

I have been a Passport User for a few months now - well, from just after a week after the official launch in Dubai! Apart from a few issues that I have already documented, the Passport Experience has been awesome and I don't think I could ever go back to another phone!

Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed an inexplicable deterioration in the Battery Performance. I have changed nothing in the Settings anywhere to warrant this! I am on the latest official release (SR 10.3.0.908 / OS 10.3.0.1418). I don't dabble around with 'leaks'. Initially, I thought some Settings may have changed inadvertently when the Phone was in my Trouser Pocket - but couldn't spot any changes! The Screen Timeout has always been set at '10 Seconds' and the Brightness has always been kept at the 'minimum'! I don't use any Apps and definitely not any Android Apps.

So, what is the Battery Performance issue? - over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that the Battery seems to drain now at a much faster pace when I am actually using the Phone when compared to the initial months! With no other change, this seems inexplicable! When I check the Device Monitor, the Display seems to be showing a high number! - I don't recollect this statistic from the early days of usage - but, this could be the reason! But, I am perplexed on why this is so high!!!!

Any suggestions/ advise? And, A Very Happy New Years to all folks on CB and your families!

Cheers.

Ashok
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Performance - Inexplicable Deterioration-img_20150113_184257-1-.jpg   Battery Performance - Inexplicable Deterioration-img_20150113_184315-1-.jpg   Battery Performance - Inexplicable Deterioration-img_20150113_184618-1-.jpg  
    01-13-15 11:23 AM
    Well your going to think this sounds strange, but turn on location, wifi, and put your brightness up to the half way point, this is where i have mine set to and my battery is great, Give it a try for a few days.
    01-13-15 11:50 AM
    Well your going to think this sounds strange, but turn on location, wifi, and put your brightness up to the half way point, this is where i have mine set to and my battery is great, Give it a try for a few days.
    Welll - Wifi and Location are turned on!! My Brightness from Day 1 was at the Minimum - so increase it, you say? I will try - but does not seem logical, wouldn't you think?

On the other hand - I am not sure if there is some connection - clutching at straws actually - this 'problem' seems to have cropped up after I did my first international travel and used 'data roaming'!! On roaming, I have generally found the pace of battery depletion to be faster than in 'non-roaming' situations! But, as to the Brightness being such a high value.....

Thanks.
    01-13-15 12:31 PM
    Welll - Wifi and Location are turned on!! My Brightness from Day 1 was at the Minimum - so increase it, you say? I will try - but does not seem logical, wouldn't you think?

On the other hand - I am not sure if there is some connection - clutching at straws actually - this 'problem' seems to have cropped up after I did my first international travel and used 'data roaming'!! On roaming, I have generally found the pace of battery depletion to be faster than in 'non-roaming' situations! But, as to the Brightness being such a high value.....

Thanks.
    What setting is your roam on, auto , i always leave the brightness to what ever it is right out of the box, as its set from factory for a reason.
    01-13-15 12:38 PM
    What's your screen timeout? Edit: nvm 10 seconds, says in OP

Looks like your screen timeout is incredibly long or the screen is waking itself a lot

Settings > display > screen timeout *

If you get a lot of notifications, you may want to check settings - security - lock screen - and turn off wake device on new notifications

*I'm not sure if the option is on 10.3 or only 10.3.1, but I keep my screen timeout to 10 seconds + use the advanced interaction "hold to stay awake"

Without the advanced interaction "hold to stay awake" you should extend your screen timeout to 20-30 seconds. Touching the screen to keep it awake uses more battery than the screen staying on.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    01-13-15 12:54 PM
    What setting is your roam on, auto , i always leave the brightness to what ever it is right out of the box, as its set from factory for a reason.
    If you are referring to 'Data on Roaming', that's set to 'prompt'.
    01-13-15 01:03 PM
    What's your screen timeout? Edit: nvm 10 seconds, says in OP

Looks like your screen timeout is incredibly long or the screen is waking itself a lot

Settings > display > screen timeout *

If you get a lot of notifications, you may want to check settings - security - lock screen - and turn off wake device on new notifications

*I'm not sure if the option is on 10.3 or only 10.3.1, but I keep my screen timeout to 10 seconds + use the advanced interaction "hold to stay awake"

Without the advanced interaction "hold to stay awake" you should extend your screen timeout to 20-30 seconds. Touching the screen to keep it awake uses more battery than the screen staying on.

The 'wake device for new notifications' has been in switched off mode.

Thanks.
    01-13-15 01:06 PM
    Have you done a battery pull/hard reboot after your travels?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 04:19 PM
    This is typical of what I get. The screen always drains the battery.
    So, based on your device status app, you read a lot. It has nothing to do with the radio.
    I find that text editing for 6 hours continuously or reading a book continuously is the biggest drain on the battery.
    I use my passport all day as my laptop, so I am not surprised. The battery never lasts more than 18 hours if you watch TV, T edit text or read books all day (as I do on a 12 hour long flight).
    I am not surprised.
    n modern phones it is the screen that consumes the most power, not the RF transceivers.
    Here' s my battery usage today. This is because I did not use my phone much today. Still, most of the power goes to the display.

Battery Performance - Inexplicable Deterioration-img_20150113_175039.png
    Battery Performance - Inexplicable Deterioration-img_20150113_175319.png
    01-13-15 04:53 PM
    My screen timeout was 1 minute..maybe that is why..
    01-13-15 04:56 PM
    When I check the Device Monitor, the Display seems to be showing a high number!
    Cheers.

Ashok
    The battery graph for Display showing that the display is working nonstop for hours. That's what kill the battery. Thus check whatever that could turn the screen on, such as screen on when having new notification, or use a holster to prevent accidentally waking up the screen when the phone is in your pocket. A hard reset as well will do good.
    01-13-15 09:35 PM
    Have you done a battery pull/hard reboot after your travels?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. In fact, based on some of the other Threads here, I am doing a daily 'hard reboot' via the Volume Keys when I charge the Phone every day (when the Battery is at 100%).
    01-14-15 07:49 AM
    Yes - I do read a lot. In fact, since the Passport, my Laptop usage has reduced by about 80%!! However, imo, my usage pattern has not changed significantly to account for any material change in the Battery Performance!
    01-14-15 07:53 AM
    The battery graph for Display showing that the display is working nonstop for hours. That's what kill the battery. Thus check whatever that could turn the screen on, such as screen on when having new notification, or use a holster to prevent accidentally waking up the screen when the phone is in your pocket. A hard reset as well will do good.
    I also feel it is something to do with the Display!! - but, have not been able to pinpoint it. Screen Timeout, new notification alerts on display etc are all at the minimum or off! I have done a Hard Reset via the Volume Keys too!
    01-14-15 07:55 AM
    I also feel it is something to do with the Display!! - but, have not been able to pinpoint it. Screen Timeout, new notification alerts on display etc are all at the minimum or off! I have done a Hard Reset via the Volume Keys too!
    01-14-15 07:56 AM
    I have the same issue as OP, and wanted to ask the same thing.
    I never get more than 8-10h a day, and I was looking for that super long battery things, I never got it.

I use the phone for emails, texting, Skype calls, Navigation, well, the sort of things that they advertise it for.

Here's a typical day on the weekend:
    Battery Performance - Inexplicable Deterioration-img_20150111_181338.png

Then this is yesterday:
    Battery Performance - Inexplicable Deterioration-img_20150115_062106.png

Screen brightness: 50%
    Wifi: goes off after leaving home (geofencing in power tools)
    Data when roaming: on

I am disappointed... I use my phone for the things they advertise it for and it doesn't last a full day. The battery dies before I get to a charger in the evening. Unless I do the same thing as others, keep the phone on the charger all the time at my desk.

A wireless charger would help a lot, it would top up my device all the time, without the cable hassle.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 11:27 PM
    I have the same issue as OP, and wanted to ask the same thing.
    I never get more than 8-10h a day, and I was looking for that super long battery things, I never got it.

I use the phone for emails, texting, Skype calls, Navigation, well, the sort of things that they advertise it for.

Screen brightness: 50%
    Wifi: goes off after leaving home (geofencing in power tools)
    Data when roaming: on

I am disappointed... I use my phone for the things they advertise it for and it doesn't last a full day. The battery dies before I get to a charger in the evening. Unless I do the same thing as others, keep the phone on the charger all the time at my desk.

A wireless charger would help a lot, it would top up my device all the time, without the cable hassle.

Posted via CB10
    Skype killed your battery in the first screenshot. That's why the high system usage and high Skype usage.
    If you aren't using it for video, get your contacts to download BBM and use that instead.. if possible.

Your drain from yesterday was caused by PIM going haywire. I don't know why this happens, I've never had it happen myself.. fwiw, I ONLY manage my contacts locally (with the exception of fb, twitter and bbm). I have 2 Gmail, 1 hotmail, 1 outlook + fb and twitter account

01-15-15 12:02 AM
    Thanks fot feedback!

In PIM, I have whatsapp, can it cause the problem?

BBM is available for the PC?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 01:45 AM
    And so I should close Skype during the day all the time? Then I can't receive calls and notifications.

About 1h Skype video call drains about 8-10% battery life, but I think is more due to the screen being on, wifi, camera, android system, vs the application itself.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 01:49 AM