Hello all,

I recently switched back to BB from an iPhone and picked up a PP SE.

I appreciate that at only a week in my use with a new device has probably not settled down but I cannot escape the feeling that battery life is not as good as I was expecting, not a disaster by any means but nowhere near the 2 days+ that some are boasting and not as good as the IP 6+ that the PP is replacing.

It seems to lose more charge than I would expect on standby which leads me to think that some background processes are causing the issue and I am assuming that android apps are to blame? I have to name a few the following installedCarousel, Fitbit, Dropbox, Genius scan, Sky news, Onenote, Yahoo weather, shazam, National Rail, AVG anti virus, Spotify, Tomtom, instagram, flipboard. I have for all apps where possible turned off run when minimised/in background etc but seems that whatever this setting is set to can be irrelevant for some Android apps and that they may have services that run in the background anyway?

Are any of my Android apps known battery hogs or is it just a fact of life that if you want to run Android apps on BB10 that a slight hit on battery is unavoidable? As I say my battery life is not awful by any means and full day is achievable I was just given the size of the battery in the PP expecting slightly better

Experiences appreciated

Neil
    11-16-15 09:01 AM
    Take some screenshots to see what's using up the battery.
    My average battery use is just over 1 day (says device manager) but sometimes when I'm on the road, my phone sees heavy usage so I only get about 10-12hours before it needs a charge so I'm fairly happy with the battery life.

The only thing I wished was that it being a Qualcomm chip, it's too bad that the device doesn't use Quick Charge.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 12:01 PM
    I had both BlackBerry Passport and iPhone 6 plus. I can't say which one last longer. They both last a day with 30% leftover for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 12:53 PM
    Well it honestly depends on how much you are using the phone. I typically get a full day with mine but not any more than that. 2 days is a stretch unless you aren't really using your phone very much.

Get rid of the Android apps. They kill the battery.
    11-17-15 04:10 AM
    Carousel, Fitbit, Dropbox, Genius scan, Sky news, Onenote, Yahoo weather, shazam, National Rail, AVG anti virus, Spotify, Tomtom, instagram, flipboard. I have for all apps where possible turned off run when minimised/in background etc but seems that whatever this setting is set to can be irrelevant for some Android apps and that they may have services that run in the background anyway?
    First off, I think that any Android apps constitute the biggest battery drain. If you can find a BB10 alternative, that would save you some juice. BB10 doesn't need an antivirus program, so you can probably delete that one.

Go into your Device Monitor and see what apps are drawing the most battery over the last 48 hours.
    11-17-15 09:05 AM
    I had one app, not one you listed, that was causing my battery to die after half a day. Deleted that and now can get at least three hours talk time plus dozens of emails, surfing, an hour of nav and still have plenty of power left at bedtime. Couldn't be happier. I never havent to think about battery life.

Definitely check your battery consumption to see what apps are killing your battery.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Silver Passport!
    11-17-15 09:44 AM
    I'm going to take a guess and blame the Fitbit app. Mine has gone through periods where no matter how I change the settings, it's trying to be constantly connected to my fitbit.

Currently it's not exhibiting this strange behavior, but it seems to come and go depending on how it feels that day of the week.

Anyway, that's what was eating my battery. I have gotten two days out of mine, but with lower usage. On a high usage day I usually have about 30% battery left when I go to bed.

Posted via CB10
    neil74 likes this.
    11-17-15 11:37 AM
    I have the AT&T Passport. I was having battery problems. After a lot of experimenting, I'm convinced now that it was Amazon App store apps wasting the battery. Apparently after some updates happened the App Store would no longer connect. After that all my Android apps wouldn't work. No more Android apps from Amazon for me! Removing all my Android apps from Amazon made a really dramatic difference in battery life.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 10:10 PM
    IP 6+ has a good battery life similar to passport. Unlike IP 6 that most people complain about the battery life.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 03:22 AM
    Based on my experience so far, I'd say that the IP6+ has better battery life than the SE.

Now my SE has settled down then on standby would be pretty even but when you start using them both e.g. music browsing etc I find that the SE drains faster than the IP.
    11-19-15 04:35 AM
    if you'll see quite big usage of PIM services (more than 2.5%) - check it.
    gmail has some sync issues causing spikes of battery drain in midday.

with heavy usage (1.5 hrs of video streaming and so on) I finish my day with at least 30% juice
    BT is ON, 4G on, location services on.
    11-19-15 04:50 AM