They both have huge batteries But Apple has the advantage of customized hardware from chips to screen the best example being it can still run all the IOS apps and games on two cores and power to spare. Just because the Z30 has awesome battery life in major part because of low screen brightness/resolution with AMOLED and large battery doesn't mean BB10 is by default the most efficient OS. In fact because of the runtime component taking up memory its less efficient than it could be.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-14-15 01:18 PM
    Why? I'm at 3 days, 23 hours and have 58% left on my iPhone 6 Plus.
    Do you ever touch it besides for checking your battery percentage?

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    Barbareren, jevinzac and thymaster like this.
    01-14-15 01:23 PM
    Everyone that I know struggles to get home from work with battery left.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-14-15 01:24 PM
    Do you leave apps open on your PP?

Keep in mind BB10 is a true multitasking OS, so minimized active frames are still chugging away in the background. This is harder on battery life and uses more RAM, but allows a true multitasking experience when switching between different apps. iOS uses more of a snapshot state for multitasking where it basically saves an index of where and what the program is doing, then closes it back up. When you return to the program, it just reloads it and continues from the save state. It even shows a screenshot of the app taken right before it was closed while it reloads the app back up to give the impression you are starting from exactly where you left off. This saves significant RAM and battery life, while still giving the impression of quick multitasking, but is not as effective as a real multitasking OS when you are juggling between apps.

Both methods have their pros and cons, but it is important to know the difference when comparing things like battery life that are so dependent on device usage. If I only used my phone for text/calls/BBM and didn't constantly check CB, run the occasional CoC session, or have 4-5 active frames open at all times with my Pebble BT synced 24/7 I would be getting 3 days of battery life out of my PP. As is, I am happy with the 2 days I get while using it as the productivity beast it should be .
    Barbareren and Sulaco757 like this.
    01-14-15 01:29 PM
    Hmm, I only have one or two apps at most open in Active Frames. BBM and CrackBerry app. You might be onto something here...
    01-14-15 01:51 PM
    Do you ever touch it besides for checking your battery percentage?

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    Of course, though I am a light user. I've always gotten good battery life out of my iPhones and iPad, even when I had the iPhone 4 and used it more than I use a phone today.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-14-15 01:57 PM
    suggest checking your device monitor in setting and see what is using your power. Not sure what the iPhone has for checking this but given that it task switches instead of true multi-tasking it could be very quiet when not in use. The PP stays pretty busy with background operations ... It's a choice but anything more than 24hrs is what the PP should be doing. A day and a half is typical.

Most users seem to be getting about 36-40 hrs on the Passport , few get more than that. BB's goal since Z30 was a full day at least, no mid day wall hugging ( loved my Z10 but ..... )

Nobody expects 3 days , but even Apple wouldn't expect 3 days from a 6+ with average use
    01-14-15 02:25 PM
    Lol 3 days on an iPhone.

Hilarious

Posted via CB10
    I have the iPhone 6 plus and i can tell you i get 2 days without charging at the end of that it is about 10% left. I am currently waiting gone my Red BB passport to arrive which will be tomorrow, i will do multiple test over the next two weeks as there is a break in period when it comes to batteries. However its not a joke some folks can get longer use it has to do with screen brightness, bluetooth and strength of cell signal in area.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-14-15 02:43 PM
    For more battery life, try these (if you haven't already) :

Dim the Screen - have noticed this to be a main factor

Screen Timeout - reduce time as much as possible to the point where it is not annoyingly too quick

Decrease volume

Close apps - even when not actually using an app, it can run in the background (go to CPU under your device manager)

Turn off connections -obviously when not required

Update your software. - if it applies

Use a media card - Reduce power usage by keeping less data on your device. Save data to a media card instead of your device storage space

Turn off the flash
    Screen timeout did it for me. I reduced it from 1min to 20s and that seems to have double my battery lifetime on the passport. However, it is the amount of screen usage that matters on the PP, not weather you talk, or use wi-fi or cellular connections. Reading a book can consume more power than video streaming for the same amount of time because the screen is bright all the time.
    nokia4life likes this.
    01-14-15 02:50 PM
    thanks for the tip there i will make sure to pay attention once mine arrives tomorrow.
    01-14-15 04:05 PM
    For example, today I did a 2-hour long slide presentation on a projector. You see what happens. It does depend on what you do, but if you are on standby, the display should not consume much power and that's when the screen timeout counts or when you talk or listen to music or radio with a blank display.
    Battery: iPhone 6 Plus & Passport-img_20150114_190425.png
    01-14-15 06:07 PM
    There is no black and white on this discussion. I have both and it depends on a multitude of factors. I will say if configured the same way for push services, brightness and overall coverage in certain areas they are both in the upper tier of current handsets.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    01-14-15 09:50 PM
    I get 4-5 days I just charge it at 50-60% now since you get more cycles out of the battery that way.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    01-14-15 10:04 PM
    During the work week with heavy use, I get 14-16 hours out of the Passport. Sometimes more.

On the weekends, with less use, I can squeeze out a couple of days. I tend to charge it each night though...not sure why anyone wouldn't. In the end, a phone that can last from the time I wake up and take it off of the charger to the time I go to bed is a winner!

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    homer1475 likes this.
    01-14-15 10:46 PM
    Sometimes, if you travel for 24 hours or longer, you do not have an opportunity to charge.
    Or during a 4-day power outage as at Christmas 2013 in Toronto. It's true that cell towers were also down at that time.
    But usually it is during such emergencies that you need your phone to last for days without charging.
    01-14-15 11:31 PM
    I get typically 8-10h.

My conclusion is that using the phone, ie the screen is ON, drains the battery the most.

Another factor, is Android apps, to a lesser extent.

I am disappointed, as BlackBerry advertises the phone for productivity. When i'm productive on my phone, the screen is on.

When they say use android apps from amazon appstore, I do use it. Skype is from the BlackBerry world.

And they say my Passport will last.
    It doesn't.

Typical days for me, the phone battery is empty before I get home.
    The main things are always the same:
    Screen: 30-40%
    PIM services: 10-30%
    System: 10-30%

Battery: iPhone 6 Plus & Passport-img_20150115_062106.png

Battery: iPhone 6 Plus & Passport-img_20150111_160809.png

Battery: iPhone 6 Plus & Passport-img_20150111_171719.png

Posted via CB10
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    01-15-15 12:11 AM
    I get typically 8-10h.

My conclusion is that using the phone, ie the screen is ON, drains the battery the most.

I am disappointed, as BlackBerry advertises the phone for productivity. When i'm productive on my phone, the screen is on.

When they say use android apps from amazon appstore, I do use it. Skype is from the BlackBerry world.

It doesn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150115_062106.png 
Views:	1709 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	327454

Name:	IMG_20150111_160809.png 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	327456

Name:	IMG_20150111_171719.png 
Views:	1710 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	327457

Posted via CB10
    Well first off you PIM Services should NOT be that high.
    How many accounts do you have on your Passport ?

For your Passport to be empty by the time you get home you either have a device that needs tampering to get excellent battery life or your a crazy user.

Like Crazy.

I'm a very heavy user and my Z30 gets me through each day and the battery on the Passport is that much better.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-15-15 12:20 AM
    Accounts I have:

Email:gmail, single account
    Linkedin
    Facebook
    Whatsapp

No twitter
    No bbm
    Unfortunately no skype integration, that I miss every day

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 01:08 AM
    So for the past hour I used CB010 browsing the forum, and opened a couple of links in the Browser.

Here's what I get.

My battery goes down by 10-12% in an hour, by using the phone with the built in apps.

Does it sound normal?
    If not, I might just return the device.

Battery: iPhone 6 Plus & Passport-img_20150115_083608.png

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 01:38 AM
    I get typically 8-10h.

It doesn't.

Name:	IMG_20150115_062106.png 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	327454

Name:	IMG_20150111_160809.png 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	327456

Name:	IMG_20150111_171719.png 
Views:	1710 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	327457

Posted via CB10
    Sadly, these numbers do not look odd to me, given what I've seen on my Z30. The high PIM drain has been an issue for me and many others. And battery capacity is not the same thing as a phone's battery life, as seen by comparing iPhone 6+ performance with the Passport's larger battery. BB10 is still a work in progress, so some of these issues may be worked out as it continues to improve PIM efficiency.
    01-15-15 02:15 AM
    Lol, some of you guys saying "No way an iPhone can get that battery life" are precious. That's like me saying "No way a BB has good battery life, I've use a Z10 and it sucks." With my time with the Passport I easily got as good of battery life from the iPhone 6Plus as I did with the Passport. The Passport battery is good, but its also a massive battery. The 6plus can easily go two days which is what I got with the Passport.

BB's were known for battery life back in the earlier days when their phones couldn't do anything but make calls and send messages. The more modern the phones got the worse the battery life got. The 9900 had horrible battery life and so does the Z10. The Q10 is better albeit with a tiny screen and the Z30 was decent, but a lot of that is attributed to the dim screen it uses (and even with that its not the life altering battery that people make it out to be). I will say the Passport battery is good, but it should be considering the size of the battery in the phone.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-15-15 05:34 AM
    The Passport with the battery size it has should be getting better life. The max I've gotten from it was 1.5 days and that happened when the device was new, and it was a one time instance.

Now, I can barely muster 14 hours with moderate use. Not the advertised 18 hours per day. If I really use my device hard, I can barely make it past 12 hours. It's worth mentioning that I turn off 4G else I won't make it through out the day.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 12:04 PM
    I will say this: not having Social Media (Facebook, Instagram or Twitter) on any smartphone certainly increases battery life
    01-15-15 12:47 PM
    Now I reduced the screen timeout, and avoided all android apps during the day, and it improved the overall battery life.

But still, when the screen is on, it is on, and sucks power.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 02:20 PM
    From what I have seen, the screen consumes the most power on all smartphones. The more pixels your screen has, the more power hungry the screen is. So, probably the number of pixels per battery size scales irrespective of phone as long as the phones have similar display (LED or AMOLED) type.
    So, the screen of the passport should consume more power than that of the Z30, if the software is the same and the processors and gpus are similar.
    The iphone6 plus has fewer pixels than the Passport, so it should consume less power, all else being equal.

If what you do does not require the screen to be on (calls, listening to music, radio) then your battery will last you long. If you do a lot of screen-watching activities like watching video, surfing the web, reading emails, books, editing and reading text and pdf files, presentations to external monitor, then you will drain your battery faster.
    01-15-15 02:36 PM
96 1234