So I've always had a great battery life with my BlackBerry Passport but just for fun I thought I'd try a short experiment. For the next few weeks I will be running with an obscene amount of android applications installed. Not necessarily accessed all the time, just installed with no special restrictions.

Current list:
    SnapSeed
    Google photos
    Photoshop express
    Photostudio pro
    Stingray
    Poweramp
    Instagram
    Tumblr
    LinkedIn
    Flickr
    Google play
    St John's first aid
    Google account
    Google id
    Google settings
    Google drive
    Poweramp unlocker
    Office mobile
    Office suite
    Shaw on demand
    ETS to go
    Geocaching
    Knitting buddy
    One note
    Glucose buddy
    Flipboard
    Cold case Christianity
    Scan write pro
    Epocrates
    Bubble breaker
    Bell TV
    CAA
    Discovery Go

So far, I'm lucky to see 12 hours. This may be a long few weeks :P

P.

Sent by my fantabulous  BlackBerry Passport  - qui prius respondit quam audiat stultum se esse demonstrat et confusione dignum
    nicky_willz likes this.
    12-05-15 11:28 AM
    not only is that obscene its completely absurd thank goodness your just experimenting, after a while all these apps just sit on the phone anyway going unused but its good just to see how bad the androids app affect battery life on it .
    12-05-15 11:59 AM
    *wince*

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2474
    12-05-15 12:21 PM
    I know

I could delete about 95% of that list without blinking; still, it's only temporary.

(it's only temporary... it's only temporary... it's only temporary...)

P.

Sent by my fantabulous  BlackBerry Passport  - qui prius respondit quam audiat stultum se esse demonstrat et confusione dignum
    12-05-15 01:27 PM
    First day, day ends with about 55% at 9 o'clock. While this is standard Passport performance, today was extremely light day and it was all on Wi-Fi and very little actual phone time. Most of phone use was actually on blend off of the computer.

Battery experiment on Passport-img_20151205_205637.png

12-05-15 09:57 PM
    I hope you took screen shots of the before battery life over the course of a week. You know for analysis and compare and contrast. After all it is an experiment

Posted via CB10 on my aging Z30
    12-05-15 10:01 PM
    I'm sure I've got some somewhere

P.

12-06-15 10:04 AM
    Hate to say it, but under light use the massive load of android bloatwar<cough> applications still allows for a reasonable fifteen hours of battery.

Almost slipped out of objectivity there...

Battery experiment on Passport-img_20151206_225636.png

12-07-15 12:00 AM
    You can use the Google photos? Because I couldn't get it working on my passport
    12-07-15 01:36 AM
    Yup. Look up cobalt 's landing page for android applications here on crackberry.

P.

12-07-15 07:52 AM
    Yup. Look up cobalt 's landing page for android applications here on crackberry.

P.

Well the download link is broken I guess, I failed patching myself.
    12-07-15 09:49 PM
    Make sure You open the thread in a browser window. The links seem to act funny when you try to read them through the CrackBerry application.

P.

12-07-15 10:16 PM
    Make sure You open the thread in a browser window. The links seem to act funny when you try to read them through the CrackBerry application.

P.

Thank you but it doesnt work, or can you share the file?
    Battery experiment on Passport-uploadfromtaptalk1449549122149.jpg
    12-07-15 10:32 PM
    I'll see what I can do over PM.

P.

12-07-15 11:05 PM
    So today was weird. Battery was still performing well, but something was definitely off about the tracking. It came off charge at 7:30, went back on at nine ish to transfer music, then off for the day. That's not what's showing here though.

Battery experiment on Passport-img_20151207_220115.png

12-07-15 11:08 PM
    So this is somewhat unexpected. The applications don't seem to be impacting the battery all that much. Though what is interesting to note that 27% of the battery usage is system related and not display. Time to ramp up the usage I think.

Battery experiment on Passport-img_20151208_225214.png

12-08-15 11:53 PM
    Some more installs, some deletions, and a more reasonable battery picture.

Battery experiment on Passport-img_20151209_211257.png

12-09-15 10:16 PM
    So today things were a little bit more phone intensive than previous days, focusing mainly on setting up my acrobat reader DC mobile to hook up with my pc app. Hit ten percent at 11:00 and had to charge.

P.

Battery experiment on Passport-img_20151210_235008.png

12-11-15 12:54 AM
    I hate to say it, but other than on days of heavy installations or power use of the phone, the glut of android applications don't adversely affect battery life. Obviously high memory usage applications will consume more power but not out of line with corresponding native applications.

I will now be going through and deleting about 95% of those things

P.

Battery experiment on Passport-img_20151211_215209.png

12-11-15 11:00 PM