Hi all, my recently acquired used Black Passport has now done 367 power cycles for the battery. Is that considered a lot? Also, is there any way to tell when the Passport was manufactured?

Battery Cycles and Performance-img_20160718_172526.png

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 04:58 AM
    this is a good article about battery charging and battery cycles
    5 Myths You May Not Know About Your Smartphone Battery
    07-18-16 06:39 AM
    Thanks for this!

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 07:08 AM
    how do you access this battery info screen? is this a third party app or..?
    07-25-16 02:59 PM
    I am also looking to see how you found this info.

I had a PlayBook that had a battery app that tracked this performance and it was handy. I believe the app was called Battery Guru. They may have developed an app for BlackBerry 10 but I never looked.

If this is a feature of the BlackBerry 10 OS, can you post how you found it?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 03:10 PM
    Hi all, my recently acquired used Black Passport has now done 367 power cycles for the battery. Is that considered a lot? Also, is there any way to tell when the Passport was manufactured?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160718_172526.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	404227

Posted via CB10
    My Passport (purchased Oct 2014) has 365 cycles so I think your count is within a normal amount. It tells me that in all likelihood it is over 1 year old and probably closer to 18 months. There is a date on the box, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was manufactured on that date, just when it was boxed.
    07-25-16 05:30 PM
    Great share! Thank you

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 09:25 PM
    I have a theory that battery chemistries develop memory under a habitual use and charge/discharge behavior, and behave predictably for long long periods of time when used in the way in which the memory is developed.

That is, if you charge/discharge your battery the same way every time, the battery lasts a long time as long as you keep up that behavior.

My Macbook Pro, now four years old, has a battery that lasts as long as the spec says, after heavy-duty work usage for 12+ hrs every single day.

My principle is simple - I charge the battery up to full and use the device until the battery is dead. Repeat ad infinitum. Been doing that with all my lithium-battery devices for a while now. Battery life has never been a problem for me.

Just my 2c. Have a great day all.

p.s. I haven't brought the Passport down to 0 yet... don't have the heart for it. :-P

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 10:02 PM
    I have a theory that battery chemistries develop memory under a habitual use and charge/discharge behavior, and behave predictably for long long periods of time when used in the way in which the memory is developed.

That is, if you charge/discharge your battery the same way every time, the battery lasts a long time as long as you keep up that behavior.

My Macbook Pro, now four years old, has a battery that lasts as long as the spec says, after heavy-duty work usage for 12+ hrs every single day.

My principle is simple - I charge the battery up to full and use the device until the battery is dead. Repeat ad infinitum. Been doing that with all my lithium-battery devices for a while now. Battery life has never been a problem for me.

Just my 2c. Have a great day all.

p.s. I haven't brought the Passport down to 0 yet... don't have the heart for it. :-P

Posted via CB10
    The science says today's modern Lithium ion batteries should be recharged regularly BEFORE they get below 20% as a general rule. Of course that is not always possible but it is a rule that should be followed as much as possible. Never go to zero.
    07-26-16 03:36 PM
    The science says today's modern Lithium ion batteries should be recharged regularly BEFORE they get below 20% as a general rule. Of course that is not always possible but it is a rule that should be followed as much as possible. Never go to zero.
    Yep, that's what the labcoats say, but I have found over several battery families that violating the guideline does not affect the battery performance over the long run as long as the battery is subject to a habitual charge/discharge routine. Again, just my 2c. Then again, I'm a skateboarder. We don't really follow the rules.
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-26-16 05:02 PM