Hello,

Has anyone done a comparison of battery life on a clean system vs the same phone but with android apps? I mean using the same hardware. I like my passport and I'm thinking of picking up a 6th ipod or something else to use the apps I want. I don't use many apps but maybe then I'll remove all android apps from my PP.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-17 04:11 PM
    Not a comparison per se, but I made a point to keep my second Passport much cleaner in terms of Android apps, and I notice significantly longer battery life on this device.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-17 08:31 PM
    If you are using android app,your battry fast draining. If you unusing it, long battry life

 BlackBerry Passport SE SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2205
    04-20-17 08:37 PM
    No android apps, moderate use, constant 4g, battery saving mode, often in areas with poor signal.
    Two or three phone calls, replied to some emails, a couple of hours of BBM and some web browsing.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery: with Android apps vs no Android?-img_20170423_163357.jpg   Battery: with Android apps vs no Android?-img_20170423_163457.jpg  
    04-23-17 06:38 AM
    I have no doubt that they drain batteries faster. However, it will depend on which specific apps you are downloading. I tried a ton, none of which were social media apps, and my Q10 battery would be done by noon.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 07:17 AM
    I'd recommend an iPod 6th gen! It's so useful! You can use your passport for phone calls, email, alarms and all the important stuff, while having less important things like your social media and games on the iPod.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    04-23-17 08:42 AM
    Hello,

Has anyone done a comparison of battery life on a clean system vs the same phone but with android apps? I mean using the same hardware. I like my passport and I'm thinking of picking up a 6th ipod or something else to use the apps I want. I don't use many apps but maybe then I'll remove all android apps from my PP.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    It also makes a difference when you stop all apps from automatically access the Internet to check for new comments, etc. Set any app u don't require constant updates to a set up configuration to update manually and/or when you open the App. When u use Android a agree to everything when you set it up, it tracks you constantly and then tell you where you are, it's a part of the Google Realm, a major part of a new Android phone is shutting off all the Android/Google so called features, to remove yourself from constant economic surveillance. Battery life is all about what is running when you have no idea something is running in background, screen brightness. Sooo by shutting off all android /google and third party auto updates is you strongest offense in increasing battery life.

EndRacism (Posted using the mighty Passport SE.)
    04-23-17 09:38 AM
    It also makes a difference when you stop all apps from automatically access the Internet to check for new comments, etc. Set any app u don't require constant updates to a set up configuration to update manually and/or when you open the App. When u use Android a agree to everything when you set it up, it tracks you constantly and then tell you where you are, it's a part of the Google Realm, a major part of a new Android phone is shutting off all the Android/Google so called features, to remove yourself from constant economic surveillance. Battery life is all about what is running when you have no idea something is running in background, screen brightness. Sooo by shutting off all android /google and third party auto updates is you strongest offense in increasing battery life.

EndRacism (Posted using the mighty Passport SE.)
    But there is a disagreement from a technical level on here on whether Android apps on OS10 drain battery. I would avoid them.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 09:44 AM
    Hey thanks guys,

My battery is fairly good. Sometimes a rogue app does drain the battery. I don't have that many. Found an old iphone 4s I'm going to use for the apps that the Passport doesn't run or the runs that don't run so well. I can't afford a KEYone and i quite like the Passport. This will keep me going for while I hope.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 09:49 AM
    Some of the Amazon ones keep trying to contact scoreloop as well.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 09:57 AM
    But there is a disagreement from a technical level on here on whether Android apps on OS10 drain battery. I would avoid them.

Posted via CB10
    Any App on any OS that is left to access the Web every fifteen minutes will drain a battery, android or not! In addition to thrid party Apps, Google/Android itself if left to it's unfettered set up, acts like a monster app constantly monitoring and using your GPS, the Web and them most going to android can go App crazy and load way more apps than they ever would on BlackBerry. Androids apps are constantly updating, it's over whelming the Google Android app and fb all updating darn near every day then u begin to understand why android is a massive battery drain!!
    04-23-17 10:06 AM
    I don't use Android apps at all in the latest reincarnation of my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition, 10.3.3. Waiting for WhatsApp to end its support

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    04-23-17 11:35 AM
    Depends. Some apps from amazon market have trashed my battery, where others there is zero difference.

I recently downloaded a ton of apps from apk dump, and zero difference in battery other than I use my phone 50% more since I can actually do things with the android apps.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    04-26-17 12:04 PM
    Depends. Some apps from amazon market have trashed my battery, where others there is zero difference.

I recently downloaded a ton of apps from apk dump, and zero difference in battery other than I use my phone 50% more since I can actually do things with the android apps.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Glad you find some that work. I gave up after massive battery drain even when they were closed.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-17 06:57 PM
    I only have banking apk and spotify, didn't notice any difference in battery life without these. If your phone starts draining battery you should use autoloader and only add those apps you are really depending on.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-17 07:23 PM
    Android apps don't run in the background on BB10, so it just depends how often you actual use the app. Certainly running an Android app through a virtual machine is less battery efficient.
    04-26-17 07:44 PM
    Android apps don't run in the background on BB10, so it just depends how often you actual use the app. Certainly running an Android app through a virtual machine is less battery efficient.
    Hi,

I thought this also but how come when I run Task Killer often there are apps running? Also abut 2 weeks ago I shut down Audible. My battery went from 40 to 0 in about 1.5hrs. I didn't use the phone during this period. Clearly the can run in the background. If the full Android Runtime is implemented then, I would think, the ability to run background services would be too no?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-17 03:34 AM
    Hi,

I thought this also but how come when I run Task Killer often there are apps running? Also abut 2 weeks ago I shut down Audible. My battery went from 40 to 0 in about 1.5hrs. I didn't use the phone during this period. Clearly the can run in the background. If the full Android Runtime is implemented then, I would think, the ability to run background services would be too no?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    A task manager simply activates all of the dormant services, which then go to sleep again after you end the task manager.
    04-27-17 07:25 AM
    Glad you find some that work. I gave up after massive battery drain even when they were closed.

Posted via CB10
    1- for EVERY app, I go to the settings from battery manager and ensure it isn't running when closed. This helps a ton.

2- apps from apkmirror I've not had ANY battery drain issues with. Well, initially there is, but after 2 days or so it settles and the drain is not noticeable.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Last edited by 85_305; 04-27-17 at 01:52 PM.
    04-27-17 10:15 AM
    Android apps can run services in the background which is essentially the same thing, one of BlackBerry's runtime developers discusses it here.

https://community.blackberry.com/message/56560

If you have apps like this installed on your device you can close them from Device monitor which should stop any services from running (until you open the app again).
    04-27-17 01:22 PM
    Snap loaded Droid apps caused a rare battery spike drain on my att Passport. I only use amazon droid apps. Not a boat load and I have no battery drains or an app problem in anyway.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    04-27-17 01:29 PM
    I'd recommend an iPod 6th gen! It's so useful! You can use your passport for phone calls, email, alarms and all the important stuff, while having less important things like your social media and games on the iPod.

Posted via CB10
    Really with tethering or mobile share why not have a tablet along or even just in the car for those needs. It's 2017 you can have a tablet in every car or room of your home.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    04-27-17 01:32 PM
    Another consideration to be made is the age of the Passport. If doing a proper comparison the batteries in both Passports would have to be the same age in terms of use and charges. I have a spare Passport with the same apps setup on it and perhaps a couple more android then the other and the battery last longer due to that Passport being newer with a fresher battery. I've wiped both recently and updated them with no noticeable difference after. I do try to use mostly BlackBerry apps but there is the odd handful of APK's I must surrender myself to.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 09:31 AM