Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    My old Passport which is now 4 years old is starting to behave strangely. The battery level becomes 100% after each restart and drops faster each time. The real charge of the battery is unknown but it drops faster when I haven't recharged for a while.

Recharging is very quick and becomes 100% after just a few minutes.

What I really wonder if this is a software bug or if the battery is starting to collapse. Anyone who had the same experience.
    08-29-19 03:07 PM
    What I really wonder if this is a software bug or if the battery is starting to collapse. Anyone who had the same experience.
    Download BlackBerry Virtual Expert and see what it says about your battery.
    08-29-19 03:30 PM
    BBVE doesn't give much information other than that the battery health which shows up as green for my device. Don't know how it determines the battery health.

EDIT: After a recharge the battery health now shows red. I guess my battery is near end of life. Now what am I supposed to do. I want to keep using Passport. New Passport or a new battery? Can you even change the battery without tearing the Passport apart?
    Last edited by AluminiumRims; 08-29-19 at 05:23 PM.
    08-29-19 04:11 PM
    BBVE doesn't give much information other than that the battery health which shows up as green for my device. Don't know how it determines the battery health.

EDIT: After a recharge the battery health now shows red. I guess my battery is near end of life. Now what am I supposed to do. I want to keep using Passport. New Passport or a new battery? Can you even change the battery without tearing the Passport apart?
    The battery is quite easy to replace and several have done the job with patience and the right tools. There are also YouTube videos with teardowns of the Passport.. Batteries are cheap also.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-19 09:41 PM

Buy the replacement battery online. Either follow brookie229 recommendation above or pay repair shop labor to do for you.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-19 09:49 PM
    I agree.

You should be able to change the battery pretty easily. I have an X-Longer battery in the Passport now and bought a little mobile phone tool kit for a few £ from eBay.

You actually only need one tiny Torx screw driver and something to pry the battery out (it is in with double sided tape) and the chin piece of plastic. But for such little money, get the 'kit' and you might find the other bits come in handy one day.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-19 02:42 AM
    My old Passport which is now 4 years old is starting to behave strangely. The battery level becomes 100% after each restart and drops faster each time. The real charge of the battery is unknown but it drops faster when I haven't recharged for a while.

Recharging is very quick and becomes 100% after just a few minutes.

Download "Battery charger for BlackBerry 10" app from BBworld.
    It shows the charger supply, battery life in percentage, temperature of battery. Check for over heat while charging and other details while charging.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Hrishikesh Jadhav; 08-30-19 at 02:12 PM.
    08-30-19 01:54 PM
    I use BatteryPal also as suggested here. Before changing my battery, I would get 5-6 hours before charging with normal for me use. In the system battery monitor it showed green for healthy, same result on BatterPal, obviously incorrect. I changed the battery and now it lasts 12-14 hours before needing a charge. Almost getting a day out of it. I do not use power saving mode and screen brightness is higher, where I like it. So, that's not bad I guess?!?

Posted with my Passport
    08-30-19 03:46 PM
    I changed the battery to a new one but I have the exact same problem as before as I described in the first post. It's like the battery charging curve is changed in the software or I have a HW problem. It looks like I need to buy a new Passport.
    09-12-19 03:09 PM
    I changed the battery to a new one but I have the exact same problem as before as I described in the first post. It's like the battery charging curve is changed in the software or I have a HW problem. It looks like I need to buy a new Passport.
    Have you fully depleted (0%) the battery before charging up again? I'd try that before buying a 'new' one.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-19 03:29 PM
    Have you fully depleted (0%) the battery before charging up again? I'd try that before buying a 'new' one.

Posted via CB10
    I can do that but in reality I don't think the battery is even close to be empty. It's just that the Passport HW thinks it is empty. Should be a pretty quick test though.
    09-12-19 03:54 PM
    I can do that but in reality I don't think the battery is even close to be empty. It's just that the Passport HW thinks it is empty. Should be a pretty quick test though.
    Exactly, so this would recalibrate the system.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-19 03:55 PM
    Hard reboot after letting battery fully drain and fully charge. But that’s just me...
    09-12-19 03:59 PM
    I did what you suggested, drained until the HW cut off the power supply because of under voltage and then charged it up again ... and it worked. Now the battery doesn't drain that fast again and the charge/discharge curve seems to be normal again.

The battery health in Blackberry Virtual Expert is now green again. In the app Battery Charger for Blackberry 10 there is an extra parameter called "battery health" this one was on 13% previously and now it is bumped up to 96%. So the charging curve is dynamic and for some reason this resets the curve.

Thank you for your help.
    09-13-19 03:27 AM
    Nice! Glad to hear it's working.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-19 05:40 AM