Yes, many have now forgotten how much they trashed Z30 prior to its launch. Remember it being called "ugly", "too big to fit the hand", "ugly silver bottom" etc, and now most reluctantly admit that Z30 is a good looking and functional phone.
    Except that Z30 was never really marketed properly, History will prove wrong most of those who are now bashing and trashing the Passport.
    For starters who really thinks that BlackBerry hasn't thoroughly done its homework in making Passport and identifying the right target market? If you are one of them, read this prior quote (below) as a general guide to the present underlying philosophy at BlackBerry.

Brian Paschke, Senior Industrial Designer, Portfolio Direction at BlackBerry talked a bit about their internal process.

"We pride ourselves on industrial design that is simple and intuitive in functionality, while maintaining iconic and familiar elements such as our keyboard and productivity-based user experience. While our smartphones have evolved over time, we remain focused on being highly detail oriented in order to deliver modern and high quality devices."

The Passport will be successful and profitable because this device is not targeted to the mass consumer market, rather it is aimed at a niche market that will truly appreciate its intended uses and can afford the price tag. It is also a forgone conclusion that under John Chen, inventory of this device will be tightly controlled and monitored, while at the same time maintaining the desire profit margin per unit.

Finally, for those who really think the Passport is "UGLY" or "FUGLY" or "NEEDS FIXING" or "WILL BE A FAILURE" kindly do me a favor and say so on this thread. Why? So I can PM you and tell you "I told you so" in about 1 year's time from when it launches this fall.
    07-07-14 02:51 PM
    I agree that the Passport will be profitable.... don't think Chen plans to build all that many of the to begin with, and bet the price also reflect his desire for profitablity. He has the Q10 sales figures, I imagine for now he plans to use those as a guide for Passport production. If it sells really well, I wouldn't be surprised to see some shortages with a few weeks delay.

The thing is BlackBerry is no longer in the same league as Samsung, HTC, Nokia and Apple. For those guys fewer that 10 million of one product line is a failure. But for BlackBerry if the Passport can sell two million devices Chen will be happy.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-07-14 03:02 PM
    I agree that the Passport will be profitable.... don't think Chen plans to build all that many of the to begin with, and bet the price also reflect his desire for profitablity. He has the Q10 sales figures, I imagine for now he plans to use those as a guide for Passport production. If it sells really well, I wouldn't be surprised to see some shortages with a few weeks delay.

The thing is BlackBerry is no longer in the same league as Samsung, HTC, Nokia and Apple. For those guys fewer that 10 million of one product line is a failure. But for BlackBerry if the Passport can sell two million devices Chen will be happy.
    And I agree that it is not in the same league with Samsung etc.

Posted via CB10
    syah iejam likes this.
    07-07-14 03:07 PM
    Sounds to me like we're in for an astronomical price. I'm no fool. You price this too high and I'll turn away from it faster than you can imagine. I won't be alone either. I keep saying that Blackberry does not have the brand value of Apple, and if they try to price the Passport as though they do, they will be in for a painful reality check.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-07-14 04:13 PM
    Profitable is unlikely.
    But:
    It does not need to be profitable on the balance sheet.
    It just needs to be:
    a) not disastrously unprofitable.
    b) brand enhancing.
    07-07-14 04:25 PM
    I'm reluctant to make ANY projections about sales or profitability. But I do think that this unusual design will provoke a lot of discussion. Having a talked-about product of any kind is preferable to the alternative.
    acovey and Shadowyugi like this.
    07-07-14 04:32 PM
    Brand value has nothing to do with the fact that unless you want/need certain apps, BlackBerrys are probably the most productive devices available. We're talking about a BlackBerry with actually up to date specs too! The bigger screen and the keyboard are going to make the passport a real force to be reckoned with. I'm really hoping the price won't be astronomical but wouldn't be surprised to see it in the $700 range like all premium devices at launch.

Q10, Q5, Z30... Damn I love leaks too much!
    acovey likes this.
    07-07-14 04:35 PM
    Sounds to me like we're in for an astronomical price. I'm no fool. You price this too high and I'll turn away from it faster than you can imagine. I won't be alone either. I keep saying that Blackberry does not have the brand value of Apple, and if they try to price the Passport as though they do, they will be in for a painful reality check.

I totally agree with this assessment. The days are long gone when Blackberry products are positioned within the brand value of Apple. Having said that, does anyone want to venture a guess as to the selling price of the Passport? There have been many price points bandied about but none to the price that I believe this device will be priced at. The average consumer (which the Passport is of course not aimed at) is going to be shocked at the price. As others have said the key is inventory control.

07-07-14 04:43 PM
    This article in the "INSIDE BlackBerry" shades more light on the Passports intended uses.

First look: BlackBerry Passport Screen Built for Productivity | Inside BlackBerry

EXCERPTS:-
    "A Tool for Many Trades

In being designed from the ground up for the working professional in mind, the BlackBerry Passport will be the perfect device for many scenarios.

Let’s take a look at a few use cases:

For architects and mortgage brokers, imagine being able to look at full designs and schematics on the go, and still being able to handle piles of virtual paperwork with ease.
    In the healthcare field, picture being able to go through x-rays or medical documentation in the office with a patient, on a device that can maintain the necessary security standards for HIPAA compliance.
    In the area of finance, how about navigating your Web-based trading platform on your device? With enough screen real estate, you can clearly see the fluctuation in your stock and determine whether it’s time to sell.
    Writers will truly be unlocked with a navigable keyboard, while the large square screen enables faster content development and delivery. When you are looking to type stories or notes, your virtual keyboard doesn’t cover most of your screen.

The BlackBerry Passport will take you to new places on the best business trip you’ve ever had. We want you to imagine the possibilities."
    acovey likes this.
    07-07-14 05:09 PM
    It wont and should not attempt to make money.
    It's purpose should be to change brand image for the better. Losses should be controllable and predictable.
    If brand image can be turned around then money can be made from Z3,Classic and future phone sales.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-07-14 05:33 PM

I'm having the same hunch as you are. I hope BlackBerry will sell it at a sensible price - mid $500.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-07-14 05:38 PM
    I think Mr Chen is going to look at the pricing of devices in past and hopefully come to a conclusion that you have to have value added pricing that offers a better value then your competition.

With that said, I am hoping the device launches with a price around 499.00 US? If that is the target price, then I am all in and will be the first in line to buy it.

If it comes in at 700.00 or more then I will have to look at the iPhone 6 because it is a better buy and has a better resale value if I decide I don't like it. That's just the way it is at the moment.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    07-07-14 05:49 PM
    Only a prediction---$729.00 CAD. If this device is sub $500.00 I will eat one! (note many CBers quietly marking my moniker for severe heckling purposes later in Sept. lol)
    -
    07-07-14 06:07 PM
    Battery life is one big factor for it success, and I am sure the PassPort will provide ample battery time, just like the Z30, only better. This is in the end really the killing point for me and my ZED10. I cant go half a day without charging, not event heavy, just leak OS, some dev bars and many android apps sideloaded (ok ok that probably explain the drain but I am not complaining here).
    07-07-14 06:08 PM
    Before I thought it was ugly, now looking at actual pictures it is not that bad.
    07-07-14 10:55 PM
    It's a new from factor so of course people fear or ridicule what they don't understand, a few years back people were making fun of Samsung for releasing the Galaxy Note phablet but look how that turned out! I see the Passport as being so different from whats available right now that people will be intrigued enough to take the plunge.
    07-07-14 11:13 PM
    I think Mr Chen is going to look at the pricing of devices in past and hopefully come to a conclusion that you have to have value added pricing that offers a better value then your competition.

With that said, I am hoping the device launches with a price around 499.00 US? If that is the target price, then I am all in and will be the first in line to buy it.

If it comes in at 700.00 or more then I will have to look at the iPhone 6 because it is a better buy and has a better resale value if I decide I don't like it. That's just the way it is at the moment.

No matter what you post about its always a good post. In serious man, if Crackberry gave out a good citizen award you'd have to win it. You're never rude to people and you're honest. You like BlackBerry but you're not delusional. You've got a great head on your shoulders and it's just very easy to like you for some reason.

I just needed to say that man. Peace.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3247 / T-Mobile USA
    07-07-14 11:13 PM
    The most important is that it will be my new baby!
    Don't care about the ones who does not like it
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-07-14 11:58 PM

If you think you can go from a BlackBerry Z30 to an iPhone, you are sorely mistaken.

Trust me, I have both. And every time I have to type an email on that stupid iPhone keyboard, or browse a website on its ridiculously tiny screen, I want to throw it out my window!!

Once you go Z30, there is no turning back. At least not if you email and text as much as I do.
    07-08-14 01:07 AM
    If you think you can go from a BlackBerry Z30 to an iPhone, you are sorely mistaken.

Trust me, I have both. And every time I have to type an email on that stupid iPhone keyboard, or browse a website on its ridiculously tiny screen, I want to throw it out my window!!

Once you go Z30, there is no turning back. At least not if you email and text as much as I do.
    I also have both the z30 and a iPhone 5s and both devices have their good and bad points. I love the z30 for messaging and email and the email system on the iPhone 5s sucks.

But, some of the apps my clients use are only on IOS and Android so I have to switch back and forth. I am going to buy a passport if the pricing is around 499 US which I feel would be value added. Now I wait and see until the official launch of the device.

07-08-14 04:18 AM
    I also have both the z30 and a iPhone 5s and both devices have their good and bad points. I love the z30 for messaging and email and the email system on the iPhone 5s sucks.

But, some of the apps my clients use are only on IOS and Android so I have to switch back and forth. I am going to buy a passport if the pricing is around 499 US which I feel would be value added. Now I wait and see until the official launch of the device.
    You need to start reading up on the iPhone 6....

Chen doesn't have any money to subsidize the Passport - if he does, he really needs to focue on the Classic as it is more of a "everypersons" type devcie. Based on the size of the Screen (not an off the shelf screen size), the reported Specs, and BlackBerry's higher production cost and limited buying power, and lack of any Carrier pricing support. This will be a $700+ device.

I just feel sorry for the BlackBerry lovers in India... by the time it gets there it will be about $900+ with the import and taxes that have sudden sprung up there on the Z3.
    07-09-14 09:16 AM

Chen doesn't have any money to subsidize the Passport - if he does, he really needs to focue on the Classic as it is more of a "everypersons" type devcie. Based on the size of the Screen (not an off the shelf screen size), the reported Specs, and BlackBerry's higher production cost and limited buying power, and lack of any Carrier pricing support. This will be a $700+ device.

I just feel sorry for the BlackBerry lovers in India... by the time it gets there it will be about $900+ with the import and taxes that have sudden sprung up there on the Z3.
    Anybody that's truly drooling or infatuated over the "Passport" will not complain to pay $900 bucks. Mind you the number of people might be small.
    Personally, I know I'm getting one, even if hell froze over. I guess I am a BlackBerry phone addict.
    07-09-14 09:33 PM
    I agree with OP completely. The passport will be profitable.

And with what scalemaster said. I believe that the Q10 is out selling the Z10 and is holding its price.

Im not saying that BlackBerry should dump full touch phones but I do believe that the passport and classic is exactly what BlackBerry needs right now.

2015 will introduce a nice high-end phablet for the full touch lovers as well as the LTE Z3 with a 720p screen.

Differentiate or Die
    07-09-14 09:49 PM
    Passport is good for browsing and documents just like PlayBook but no updates for it

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 10:10 PM

If you ask me the Passport is much more mass-appealing than the Classic simply because

Classic= the yearly new BlackBerry people have stopped being interested in and stopped buying in 2010

Passport= that curiously new keyboard phone with a giant screen that clearly excels any competitors device in two points: keyboard and screen width

The price tag will be just okay since the device couldn't be more different than anything else on the market. Price it around 500 dollars and people will just percept it as a "weird cheap phone from BlackBerry".
    07-10-14 05:57 AM
41 12