Have a business acct with Rogers with 5 phones on the plan, and ordered 1 passport on Sept 26. I called them today about when the PP would be shipped. Rogers said it was ready to ship, but I had to update
    my plan prior to shipping. I advised that at ordering the PP I was not told about the upgrade requirement, which they confirmed the order notes did show the agent did not discuss upgrading the plan on my 1 phone.

But they could still not ship the PP until I upgraded my plan. My current plan is $90 per month, but the new plan with all the features I now have plus additional features I do no need or want is $120 per month, take it or leave it. Advised them to cancel their
    PP shipping to me and I would buy an unlocked PP from others, insert a Rogers sim and when the 5 plans for the 5 phones expired in 10 months I would move to another carrier. They said OK you can do that. I am not interested in doing business with BAIT & SWITCH
    ROBBERS.
    10-17-14 04:43 PM
    Same situation. I am not happy either. Will buy unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-17-14 04:53 PM
    Same thing happened with me, their justification is that it is due to the new 2 year plans.
    10-17-14 05:09 PM
    Horrible, but doesn't surprise me. Can't stand cellphone carriers and their policies

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:16 PM
    Yeah, apparently all retention plans from before are all gone too.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-17-14 05:26 PM
    Yeah, same here....it's why i bought unlocked, when i added up the extra month plan costs per month over 2 years + upgrade fee, it was actually cheaper to buy it direct from BB. Plus it's unlocked, i'm not beholden to anyone.
    10-17-14 05:32 PM
    This is why BlackBerry needs to sell direct. Most carriers are only out to up your plan cost after every term

Posted via CB10
    The beauties of a crtc endorsed monopoly. The big three have us by the delicates and the gov't not only doesn't care, but doesn't have the courage to open the market to competitors from outside that would correct this. Sickening.

Posted via CB10
    Just so I understand... if u don't upgrade through Rogers and purchase an unlocked bbry from somewhere else...you can continue to use your $90 plan??

I'm a Rogers customer also...with a really really really good deal on my plan which is grandfathered... and really the only reason I stick with them...I will certainly buy outright from now on if the above is correct.

Extra $30 in your case x24 months = 720...

Which is about the cost of the phone.. now if the phone through Rogers is free then makes no difference but if it will cost you 100-200 then that's savings right there.

In my case the cost of my plan is 55 down from the 90... so if my increase was to 120 that's more than double...

Disturbing really...and even for Rogers that is shockingly bad business...

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:41 PM
    As a business user on rogers ,called retentions and after 1 hour on phone ,they kept me and my old plan ,which costs $105 a month ,and gave me $400 credit .Now I will have to watch my bills the next couple of months .The way I scene it ,if I had to change plans ,might as well change company's . They were eager to keep me .I say call back and request a rention manager and ask why ? they want to lose customers .If you switch to Telus they will give you $400 per line .
    10-17-14 07:45 PM
    All 3 Canadian carriers are forcing higher $ plans if you want a subsidized high end phone.

I will be buying unlocked full price whatever I buy. Not giving up my $54 6GB plan.

Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83 and thymaster like this.
    10-17-14 07:50 PM
    Yes, I can use my un-locked PP on my existing plan...thanks for the tip on Telus credit...
    10-17-14 07:58 PM
    Phone maufacturers are still in the dark ages of providing locked phones.
    At least Google(would never buy an Android) is selling unlocked phones.
    I have always purchased BB's and unlocked them and shift to carriers of my choice.
    Roger$$$ - well...many moons ago were fair but I quit their gouging practices and moved on!!!!
    10-17-14 08:18 PM
    Rogers sucks, news at 11.

Posted via CB10
    chm985 likes this.
    10-17-14 08:34 PM
    I don't preach hate nor do I condone it BUT I will always make the exception with Rogers. There's no other company I HATE more than the SOBs (not even Apple). Every time I see "Rogers" anywhere, my pupils dilate, every hair on my body stands erect and my blood boils. F**k Rogers!! /rant over

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by coldfir3; 10-17-14 at 09:12 PM.
    10-17-14 08:58 PM
    This is the same issue with all Canadian carriers these days. They simply don't care any more because they have effectively fixed pricing so that there is literally zero competition. The pricing of all phones, plans, extras, etc. is all identical on all of the big three. They may as well be one entity, called Robellus. Don't be surprised when you get the same exact pricing from the other carriers.

In my case, I'm being disallowed from using the LTE network because I still have my $65 unlimited data plan and I also can't upgrade my device because my plan "isn't compatible" with any new phones. Strangely, I don't seem to have any issues using any new phone, including iPhone, with my old "incompatible" plan.

As parting words, do some math and you'll find out that after the new rules went into effect limiting contracts to two years, the carriers are now earning between 30% and 50% more revenue in two years than they did before over three years. They also hold at least a year less of liability in the form of subsidized (financed) hardware. It's a win-win for carriers.

Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83, solitude1984 and homl like this.
    10-17-14 11:49 PM
    Hate Robbers. Took 4 lines from them, way over priced.
    If you are living in major cities, check out Wind Mobile. Tons of savings can be had if you hang out at urban areas most of the time + roaming in the USA.
    Buy your phone directly from shopblackberry.
    10-18-14 12:06 AM
    Been a loyal Rogers customer for ages but no more. Once my contract ends I'm going with Telus or Bell.
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    10-18-14 12:07 AM
    I would call and ask for the "loyalty plans" if you've been with them for a while. Much cheaper.
    10-18-14 12:11 AM
    I've been with WIND for 4 years and still a happy customer. My plan cost me $35 with unlimited everything including data, international text and US callings. I was almost tempted to switch to Telus just for the Passport but the outrageous minimum plan from Robellus is now $80 with only 500 MB of data was an easy NO. I'd rather wait when stocks are replenished and buy the passport out right.
    10-18-14 12:21 AM
    I would call and ask for the "loyalty plans" if you've been with them for a while. Much cheaper.
    I have been with them since the first generation Motorola Startac, 17years. Their "best loyalty plan" was twice that of Wind. With 4 lines, thanks but no thanks.
    10-18-14 12:22 AM
    They would of rather of lose me as a customer than ship me a phone I would pay for outright. They also refused to sell off contract. Everywhere is the same now a days. The world has gone to the dogs.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 12:27 AM
    All these post are so familiar- could not upgrade phone unless I changed the plan- then the plan I changed too was more expensive than I was promised, then we couldn't go back because old plan didn't exist- a whole day, huge headache and a bottle of wine later- still FURIOUS with Rogers and no resolution -but it's true that they are ALL the same- as consumers we keep buying so the suppliers can keep screwing us over- My favorite is at the end of the conversation...'is there anything else we can help you with?'...anything ELSE?!? are you kidding me?

Posted with a smile...and a Q10
    jojo beaconsfield and keefrto like this.
    10-18-14 01:04 AM
    My understanding from a Telus business manager is it is because you are on a three year plan and the CRTC has mandated that they cannot sell you a three year plan anymore. In order to get a discounted handset you and to convert to a two year plan, all of which are a lot more expensive and not as good.

I have a great plan, get 6GB of data, but I will have to purchase all future handsets in order to keep the plan, which I will do. There's no way I will go to a plan that only offers 1 GB of shared data per handset. Not worth it.

Posted using my awesome Passport
    10-18-14 01:15 AM
    Yeah shared plans aren't for everyone. Not in my household anyways.

I guess renewing my contract last December was a blessing when I upgraded from a Z10 to Z30 (Got Z30 for $0 down too). I went from a 3yr to a 2yr contract, kept same plan and same discounts. Sold my Z10 to cover remaining "flex-tab" balance... Now that its 2 year on my account, I'm set. But I have read between the lines. They are moving people away from this and all the FAIR plans the few of us have managed to get over the years. Smart business model for them, sour taste for us consumers.

Here in Manitoba, Rogers and MTS are king. Telus and Bell simply dont have a large enough network for some. Unless you plan on staying in the capital all the time and never travelling. With saying that, Bell and Telus are HAPPY to gain Manitoba customers from the big kings. Mind you, MTS has some advantages with being a small company here. They offer Unlimited Data and Rogers simply can't match.

If Rogers wont let me renew with no new device purchase and force an upgrade next December, I'll happily move to MTS.

The market must stop buying subsidized devices.
    10-18-14 09:54 AM
27 12