I never expected it would happen to me... I was enjoying my Passport after a fresh autoloader but decided it would be best for now to leave it and10.3.X alone, in a dark place. Say I'm not going to use the pkb for a while and just go back to the early days of when BB10 started. I'm using OS 10.0.10.672 on the Z10!

...Because my Passport went for a swim!

I was crossing a street and it instantly occurred to me that my sweater pocket had suddenly become lighter, followed by a frighteningly confirming smack sound of a paddle slapping water. My Passport was nowhere to be seen in a brown swirling puddle then surfaced at what was was seeming to be a dangerous time to retrieve it. Traffic was approaching quickly. Luckily the driver had come to a stop as not to splash me and I got my Passport. Across the street was the grocery store so into a bag of rice it went.

I had to grab a sim adapter and now I'm on my Z10, which I have never updated out of the box

I have hopes that my PP is okay but any pointers? I have never had this happen before. I shut it off and pulled the sim cover and was going to leave it in the rice for 2 days. I bet it will be a mess to clean even once it's dry.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 06:37 PM

q10 play poland (eu)
    03-10-15 06:39 PM
    Yeah, big time

I wasn't prepared to take it apart but when I did, I thought there was thermal paste on the chip housing shields. Turns out it is residue left from the not so fresh water.

My Z10 will go from 10.0 to 10.3 tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:46 PM
    Bring it into a shop to clean. You need the alcohol treatment to remove things that may be residues on the motherboard (which would cause it to short circuit).
    Pcmx likes this.
    03-12-15 11:14 PM
    Unfortunately I'm in a little deep now where I'm going to need some parts.

I have almost completely disassembled the Passport and found lots of water had entered around the volume and standby buttons which are right near the cpu. I think it's not good that battery remained connected for 2 days.

I am planning on cleaning with distilled water, artist's paintbrushes, alcohol treatment, submerging or rinsing components, baking at 150F, drying for days on end, and basically whatever is required to rid everything I can of contaminants.

I need a new battery before I can even test again anyway since mine is compromised and I'm not sure where to get one or if there's one even available to consumers yet..

I have lots of "stuff I learned the hard way" with how the Passport is put together if anyone is interested that I could share - not as a repair guide but say if one just has an appetite to know about these things.
    03-13-15 07:24 AM