Yep, no way to compare Android with BBOS. Former is made for cheap phones to sell for more. Latter is made for outstanding phones that don't deserve to sell for more because that is already the best.
    BBOS was made for mobile email on 2G cellular networks.
    04-12-19 09:54 AM
    BBOS was made for mobile email on 2G cellular networks.
    Yeah BIS on 3G created a bottleneck... can't imagine if they'd tried it with LTE.
    04-12-19 10:40 AM
    But yes today, most of the bb10 hardware could use a bit of a performance boost, and there could be a few new tweaks on much of the software, but they're not impossibly slower than the latest iphone/android devices (think web page rendering here).
    I'm not sure what latest devices you're thinking of - OnePlus 6t can load this page in a second or two, Z10 takes almost a minute. Might be a little faster with a Passport but I'm probably right in saying it's not going to be as quick as the 6t.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    04-12-19 11:11 AM
    I'm not sure what latest devices you're thinking of - OnePlus 6t can load this page in a second or two, Z10 takes almost a minute. Might be a little faster with a Passport but I'm probably right in saying it's not going to be as quick as the 6t.
    Big difference in using my Z10 and my S7 (pretty old at this point). But then the difference between the Z10 and my 9650 were night and day too... yet there are some here that still find using a BBOS device... enough, so he's right about it not being impossibly slower (for some).
    04-12-19 11:18 AM
    Big difference in using my Z10 and my S7 (pretty old at this point). But then the difference between the Z10 and my 9650 were night and day too... yet there are some here that still find using a BBOS device... enough, so he's right about it not being impossibly slower (for some).
    Trim that 9650's fat and see if it doesn't speed up. ������
    04-12-19 11:22 AM
    Trim that 9650's fat and see if it doesn't speed up. 😁
    04-12-19 11:22 AM
    Trim that 9650's fat and see if it doesn't speed up. ������
    I'd shrink-my-os with every install.... loved playing with hybirds back in the day. It was trimmed... but in 2011 BlackBerry was behind where iOS and Android was on browsers speeds - at least with BBOS6, which is all my 9650 could run (BB tend to leave hardware behind pretty quick back then).
    04-12-19 11:32 AM
    I'd shrink-my-os with every install.... loved playing with hybirds back in the day. It was trimmed... but in 2011 BlackBerry was behind where iOS and Android was on browsers speeds - at least with BBOS6, which is all my 9650 could run (BB tend to leave hardware behind pretty quick back then).
    I never used a BBOS device with OS6 - skipped that one. Up until I got the 9930 I was wiping and installing hybrids once a week, and I did a couple on the 9930 in the first few months. But it ran so well on the default OS I stopped playing around under the hood until BB10 and once-a-week-leaks came along (I miss that). Huge difference going to a 1.2Ghz CPU and roomy RAM, and it's the same with the 6t - the 845 octo-core CPU and 8GB RAM makes it fly. I'd buy a Passport with those specs even if I didn't leave the house with it.
    04-12-19 11:47 AM
    It's almost instant on my Z10 in CB10.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-12-19 12:56 PM
    It's almost instant on my Z10 in CB10.

That's not a web page. ������
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-12-19 01:18 PM
    That's not a web page. ��
    I don't use the browser on my Z10 for anything but reading news and blogs (Reader Mode is still best in class!) and Wikipedia.

I live BB10, but the browsing experience is too unpredictable!

04-12-19 01:40 PM
    I don't use the browser on my Z10 for anything but reading news and blogs (Reader Mode is still best in class!) and Wikipedia.

I live BB10, but the browsing experience is too unpredictable!

Indeed, and I was one of those that used the browser for anything I didn't have an app for. I detest installing apps for seldom used functions.
    04-12-19 01:49 PM
    Which always brings me laughter when people talk about the quality of the old BB with some halo effects.
    04-12-19 03:38 PM
    I have key2 and I keep switching back and forth with my passport. Keyboard and sensitivity are perfect for passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-19 06:27 PM
    Indeed, and I was one of those that used the browser for anything I didn't have an app for. I detest installing apps for seldom used functions.
    Me too. Certainly BB10's range of viable use cases continues to shrink due to browser compatibility and performance issues. Its email, BBM and SMS performance is still exemplary for pure messaging, but the end of native, integrated support for cloud storage combined with the limitations on opening attachments will be problematic for many.

In a work setting, the reduced performance or lack of availability of critical apps such as Slack, CRMs, etc. Is still the biggest limitation.

Personally, I still find it far better to use BB10 for email, and use my KEYone for Android apps. I like that I can manage email on the KEYone whenever I need to, but if I'm really just cranking through dozens or hundreds of work emails to keep the wheels turning for my businesses, nothing beats BB10 for me.

It's worth noting that I never need to open attachments other than PDFs on my phone, and I sync my critical work folders manually via USB twice a day so that I have all my critical files on my SD card in case in need to attach them to email.

ratfinkstooley and Tim-ANC like this.
    04-13-19 06:01 AM
    I have key2 and I keep switching back and forth with my passport. Keyboard and sensitivity are perfect for passport.

Posted via CB10
    Same here except have a K1. If BB10 had good browser I'd been tempted to make it my primary again. Needs an overhaul though. New battery and screen for starters
    krazyatom likes this.
    04-14-19 10:28 AM
    Use the Passport as long as you are able. Or get a cheapie Droid phone to run your work apps on.

Having to dual carry now because my company uses a mileage app that isn't available on BB. Everything else I do on my passport which I recently purchased. Before that I used a Classic for what, 4-5 years prior?

I'll use my Passport as long as I can-because except for that goofy mileage app I do everything else on my BB. Always have, always will. A Blackberry runs a Blackberry Os-not this scabbed over Android OS the company is pushing these days. Guess you could say I'm a Blackberry purist. I am, I'm also someone who wants something secure. And DroidBerries don't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling regarding security......

I love BB10 and have problems with buying and using a faux Blackberry-the DroidBerries the company is pushing. No interest at all in them-it's BB10 or nothing for me.
    04-19-19 09:32 PM
    Use the Passport as long as you are able. Or get a cheapie Droid phone to run your work apps on.

Having to dual carry now because my company uses a mileage app that isn't available on BB. Everything else I do on my passport which I recently purchased. Before that I used a Classic for what, 4-5 years prior?

I'll use my Passport as long as I can-because except for that goofy mileage app I do everything else on my BB. Always have, always will. A Blackberry runs a Blackberry Os-not this scabbed over Android OS the company is pushing these days. Guess you could say I'm a Blackberry purist. I am, I'm also someone who wants something secure. And DroidBerries don't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling regarding security......

I love BB10 and have problems with buying and using a faux Blackberry-the DroidBerries the company is pushing. No interest at all in them-it's BB10 or nothing for me.
    BB10 was the original faux BlackBerry OS if you think about it. My 9900 ran circles around my Q10 and things only became acceptable with the Classic and Passport temporarily. BB10 wanted to be accepted like Android was and was attempting to be like what BBAndroid is.

There’s no discernible materialistic differences from BB10 to BBAndroid other than ecosystem. Had BB just put forth the efforts wasted on BB10 to BBAndroid five years earlier, BBAndroid would be that much better. I don’t think BB would still be in hardware either way but you’d enjoy your Android experience better.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-20-19 08:01 AM
    BB10 was the original faux BlackBerry OS if you think about it. My 9900 ran circles around my Q10 and things only became acceptable with the Classic and Passport temporarily. BB10 wanted to be accepted like Android was and was attempting to be like what BBAndroid is.

There’s no discernible materialistic differences from BB10 to BBAndroid other than ecosystem. Had BB just put forth the efforts wasted on BB10 to BBAndroid five years earlier, BBAndroid would be that much better. I don’t think BB would still be in hardware either way but you’d enjoy your Android experience better.
    You and I disagree strongly here. I found BB10 superior to BBOS in almost every way, and I find Android to be a huge step down for core functions.

Gene Fells, elfabio80 and Tim-ANC like this.
    04-20-19 01:21 PM
    You and I disagree strongly here. I found BB10 superior to BBOS in almost every way, and I find Android to be a huge step down for core functions.

For basic functions I thought BBOS was the superior platform. Unfortunately, BlackBerry thought that would last forever and never planned for adjusting to the changing market. Eventually they brought out BB10 but I don’t think it ever had a chance. Android and iOS brought more of what people want today much earlier.
    04-20-19 01:27 PM
    For basic functions I thought BBOS was the superior platform. Unfortunately, BlackBerry thought that would last forever and never planned for adjusting to the changing market. Eventually they brought out BB10 but I don’t think it ever had a chance. Android and iOS brought more of what people want today much earlier.
    I agree BB10 never had a chance. But it was (and is) nearly perfect for my purposes! I had used BBOS between 2004 and 2011, then I switched to an iPhone for about 6 months in 2011-12 before switching back to BBOS in mid 2012. When BB10 launched I was in love within a couple of hours. It just did everything I wanted exactly the way that made the most sense for me.

It was clear to me from the beginning that the product team at BlackBerry understood my use case perfectly and built an OS to support it. It wasn't anything like the iPhone or Android use case, which I really appreciated.

It was frustrating watching BlackBerry try to sell BB10 as a consumer platform. They had no choice, but it was lipstick on a pig for consumers who already preferred the iPhone and Android!

04-20-19 01:37 PM
    As many of you know, I was one of the first to buy a z10 from T Mobile here in the US when OS10 was released here. I also bought many paid apps and supported the developers hoping the OS10 would take hold.

But, as we all know, it never had an honest chance because the consumer had already adopted Android and IOS and the rest is history.

I loved my z30 and passport and also had a classic and miss flashing the leaks and following the CB forums which where very active back then and that’s the fun part I really miss. But life rolls on and so does the world of high tech.
    Tim-ANC and ppeters914 like this.
    04-20-19 06:46 PM
    After leaving my Bold 4 years ago and shifting to iOS, I have just purchased my first BB10 Classic to see if it is possible to DIY my own backend server to support BB10. Why can't I write my own mini python server and host it on a Raspberry Pi and write my own simple front-end apps for my Classic to communicate with my own server? Is there anything that we can't do with that simple combination? We're not talking about a full-blown enterprise server, only a simple back end for one or two phones.
    05-07-19 11:25 PM
    I'm currently running a Passport SE and a Key1. I use both of them daily and am typing this on my passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-19 09:53 PM
    You can find current browsers that work on the passport. I have the most current firefox browser as well as duck duck go, and Kiwi browsers. You just have to search places. Softpedia is a good resource as well as other sites. I found duck duck go on amazon app store. You just have to get creative. Check the threads and they will lead you to websites that will help you keep your bb10 phones current. I currently use a Passport SE and a key1 on a daily basis and I have all the bb10 phones that I have updated. I'm typing this on my passport se.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10218918) and Jake2826 like this.
    05-09-19 10:08 PM
160 12345 ...