I think the android attempt on the Passport was just an unauthorized attempt with some insider basically "stealing" one or two units and playing around in the basement of his house. I doubt it was ever a serious attempt by BlackBerry. Who knows!
    Actually, they were working with Google on the project for some time. It was mutually decided that it wasn't going to lead to a satisfying user experience.
    03-29-19 04:03 PM
    Actually, they were working with Google on the project for some time. It was mutually decided that it wasn't going to lead to a satisfying user experience.
    Yeah I seem to recall a Mobilesyrup article stating that but I don't ever remember any official at BlackBerry confirming it. I have trouble remembering MANY things nowadays, however, so you're probably correct as usual.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-29-19 04:18 PM
    The problem is that I love the physical keyboard but I hate android. I would like an iphone with keyboard..maybe..
    I will give another chance to my keyone but really I am still using my passport in these days...and the keyone is in the box.
    I am thinking to sell it...

Blackberry Passport Silver Edition
    How anyone prefers a passport to a keyone series phone is just baffling to me..the passport is dead..BB10 is dead..time to move accept it..i loved BB10 but I moved onto the android keyone series and I have no complaints. Get a iPhone that's your only choice.
    Rico4you and TgeekB like this.
    03-30-19 11:44 PM
    In my opinion the competitive advantage of the Passport was the keyboard (I used it to finish my PhD thesis during my trips along Europe in train and aeroplane) , the screen (for me it was and it is perfect to manage powerpoint presentation and excel data sheets) and the hub for email and texting ( I have six email accounts for study/work and the hub is excellent for managing fast emails/sms/bbm.
    The lack of apps is not a problem to me. I only need netflix, WhatsApp and kindle. I do not have a Facebook account so it is not important that kind of issue.
    So really I hope that I will continue using my Passport..the android is too invasive.too many notifications, it seems slow in comparison to bb10, the keyboard is not at the same level and the screen is not a square and it is not so easy to work on excel data sheets on a normal screen.

Blackberry Passport Silver Edition
    03-31-19 01:05 AM
    Did you come straight from BBOS to BB10 in 2013 or so? It was awful until 10.2.1 and then 10.3.2 was the version that finally seemed BBOS successor worthy for me.
    I came from years of jailbroken iPhones to Samsung S4 to the Passport 3 days after launch on Telus I believe. I acquired a Z30 right after to help with the adjustment then back again onto the Passport. I knew this was the OS I wanted to be apart of as soon as I started to learn how to use it.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    03-31-19 07:03 AM
    How anyone prefers a passport to a keyone series phone is just baffling to me..the passport is dead..BB10 is dead..time to move accept it..i loved BB10 but I moved onto the android keyone series and I have no complaints. Get a iPhone that's your only choice.
    This place sounds like an old folks home most of the time talking about the “good old days”. Not enough positivity about the current situation or what will be happening going forward. I think some people want to hang onto their old phones just to prove a point. As a couple people have pointed out, the combination of Android and BlackBerry software brings with it many opportunities that people have to give more than 2 days of effort to discover.
    anon(10573286) and sesp9 like this.
    03-31-19 07:22 AM
    This place sounds like an old folks home most of the time talking about the “good old days”. Not enough positivity about the current situation or what will be happening going forward. I think some people want to hang onto their old phones just to prove a point. As a couple people have pointed out, the combination of Android and BlackBerry software brings with it many opportunities that people have to give more than 2 days of effort to discover.
    I think it's more then that it's the love for the form-factor and the keyboard. I have had the KEY2 for some time now and I have to say that the typing experience on the Passport is simply amazing. The KEY2 does not hold a candle to it. The screen on the Passport is perfect and not too tall for reaching. There is still lots to love and sacrifice to stay on the Passport but it's now not for all without support.

There is nothing wrong with trying to hold on to a good thing. I am hoping that the talk I am hearing from my podcasts will allow android to fit a Passport style phone with Q. Apparently android may have programing to adjust the display to fit the size and shape of the screen. This would pave the way for another shot at a Passport style phone. Fingers crossed.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    03-31-19 07:56 AM
    I came from years of jailbroken iPhones to Samsung S4 to the Passport 3 days after launch on Telus I believe. I acquired a Z30 right after to help with the adjustment then back again onto the Passport. I knew this was the OS I wanted to be apart of as soon as I started to learn how to use it.
    That explains so much.. also provides good perspective. Unfortunately, the lady you know as BB is not the one we knew in her BBOS prime. For many of us, BB10 was her failed comeback attempt when she really should have faded away quietly and exited gracefully....
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-31-19 08:04 AM
    I think it's more then that it's the love for the form-factor and the keyboard. I have had the KEY2 for some time now and I have to say that the typing experience on the Passport is simply amazing. The KEY2 does not hold a candle to it. The screen on the Passport is perfect and not too tall for reaching. There is still lots to love and sacrifice to stay on the Passport but it's now not for all without support.

There is nothing wrong with trying to hold on to a good thing. I am hoping that the talk I am hearing from my podcasts will allow android to fit a Passport style phone with Q. Apparently android may have programing to adjust the display to fit the size and shape of the screen. This would pave the way for another shot at a Passport style phone. Fingers crossed.

Trust me, I understand there is a small amount of people who love the Passport form factor, but to say the Key2 doesn’t hold a candle to it (I’m speaking overall) is exactly what I’m talking about.
    The Key devices give most people the best of both worlds. A pkb device that is supported and able to do what modern smartphones can. Perhaps a Passport style phone will come to fruition but I’m not sure that form factor would be popular.

It’s time to look and move forward. Crackberry has always been a “this old phone was the best” kind of place and, I believe, we need more positive, forward thinking on here. JMHO.
    03-31-19 08:13 AM

No sorry the passport does not hold a candle to the key 2 or keyone for that matter. I owned all the passports and for anyone to say it's the superior device is laughable. It's a 5 year old EOL device on a dead OS. People on here are just stubborn and don't give android a chance. I changed over and I have had no issues with it. The passport is an old garbage paper weight now..move on
    03-31-19 10:04 AM
    No sorry the passport does not hold a candle to the key 2 or keyone for that matter. I owned all the passports and for anyone to say it's the superior device is laughable. It's a 5 year old EOL device on a dead OS. People on here are just stubborn and don't give android a chance. I changed over and I have had no issues with it. The passport is an old garbage paper weight now..move on
    I guess your entitled to your own stubborn opinion and no one can change your mind obviously lol.

P.S. Passport has all the candles
    03-31-19 10:10 AM
    I guess your entitled to your own stubborn opinion and no one can change your mind obviously lol.

Yeah I'm stubborn lol...says the person still using a 5 year old paper weight ;i)
    03-31-19 10:11 AM
    Yeah I'm stubborn lol...says the person still using a 5 year old paper weight ;i)
    Oneplus 3T baby
    Which is a concord compared to your single propeller aircraft
    Gene Fells likes this.
    03-31-19 10:13 AM
    I think my point has been made.
    03-31-19 10:30 AM
    I think my point has been made.
    Only on android now cause of support and apps. All I was saying is that the Passport has Hardware and form-factor that is appealing to some just like the KEY2 is to others. Some still want a larger keyboard and one that has capacitive touch comparable to the Passport. This is not a contest. I wish I could still be on the Passport tbh
    03-31-19 10:36 AM

For me the pinnacle device was the 9900 and for it’s time, it still required me to dual carry Android phone. Any BBMo PKB Android device is better if not requiring me to dual carry.

The Classic was the best of the BB10 PKB devices since it’s form was closest to 9900 and the Z30 for getting the BB10 VKB form although I liked the 9860 running BBOS much better for it’s time.

Much of what makes BB so iconic was it’s history and place in 00’s and early 10’s before the consumer space crushed it’s hardware future.
    TgeekB, Thud Hardsmack and sesp9 like this.
    03-31-19 10:41 AM
    Only on android now cause of support and apps. All I was saying is that the Passport has Hardware and form-factor that is appealing to some just like the KEY2 is to others. Some still want a larger keyboard and one that has capacitive touch comparable to the Passport. This is not a contest. I wish I could still be on the Passport tbh
    That’s why I think the Key devices are a decent alternative.
    Heck, I had the tiny Q10. The keyboard was too small. I also had the Passport which I couldn’t comfortably fit in my pocket. I know the Key devices are still developing but they may turn out to be the best of both worlds (sounds like Goldilocks and the three bears). Plus we get a developing OS.

We all have our likes and dislikes. The Passport was an excellent device that didn’t catch on, whether because of its form factor or OS. Personally, I want something newer and supported.
    The_Passporter and ppeters914 like this.
    03-31-19 10:42 AM
    That’s why I think the Key devices are a decent alternative.
    Heck, I had the tiny Q10. The keyboard was too small. I also had the Passport which I couldn’t comfortably fit in my pocket. I know the Key devices are still developing but they may turn out to be the best of both worlds (sounds like Goldilocks and the three bears). Plus we get a developing OS.

We all have our likes and dislikes. The Passport was an excellent device that didn’t catch on, whether because of its form factor or OS. Personally, I want something newer and supported.
    I wish Oneplus would try designing a Passport or KEY device with dash charging
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 03-31-19 at 11:27 AM.
    03-31-19 10:48 AM
    I wish Oneplus would try designing a Passport or KEY device with dash charging
    I don’t pretend to be an expert in all this but I don’t see what would prompt them to do so. They seem to be doing pretty well with their current lineup.

I’m waiting to see how this foldable fad goes. Will it catch on or also be a niche?
    03-31-19 11:37 AM
    I don’t pretend to be an expert in all this but I don’t see what would prompt them to do so. They seem to be doing pretty well with their current lineup.

I’m waiting to see how this foldable fad goes. Will it catch on or also be a niche?
    I'm waiting to see if it brings more creativity to the boring slab market
    03-31-19 09:12 PM
    I'm waiting to see if it brings more creativity to the boring slab market
    Foldables? I guess we’ll see.
    Slabs might be boring but, I think for most people, fit their needs. Pocketable (not too thick) and large screen to watch movies or play games. I really think that’s why PKB devices went by the wayside. People don’t want to lose screen real estate.
    04-01-19 05:33 PM
    Foldables? I guess we’ll see.
    Slabs might be boring but, I think for most people, fit their needs. Pocketable (not too thick) and large screen to watch movies or play games. I really think that’s why PKB devices went by the wayside. People don’t want to lose screen real estate.
    True but with the new standards and emerging compatibility for various screen sizes and dimensions I am keeping my fingers crossed for a wider Passport look alike
    One day....
    TgeekB and simon williams4 like this.
    04-01-19 06:24 PM
    I came from using both iphone and Android's and netbooks laptops and the Playbook. Once I borrowed someones z10...I was blown away how much better the experience on the z10 intuitively was than the other smartphone offerings out there (grant it, it was sometime after launch and the OS might have been upgraded by the time I got my hands on a Blackberry...other than that other awesome device, the Playbook). Eventually I acquired a few bb10's slabs and pkb's and still use them today. For some reason today they still work better for me, and are far more comfortable flow-wise and my functionality than the S9 or iphonex i have access to. Even before that I had used older BlackBerrys but found bb10 intuitively blew them out of the water in terms of work flow....yeah they had great keyboards and sliders but bb10 was a vast improvement (aside from the secure email service the older devices provided)

But yes today, most of the bb10 hardware could use a bit of a performance boost, and there could be a few new tweaks on much of the software, but they're not impossibly slower than the latest iphone/android devices (think web page rendering here) . I've never liked the Android interface nor the iphone one.
    04-03-19 02:04 AM
    Yep, no way to compare Android with BBOS. Former is made for cheap phones to sell for more. Latter is made for outstanding phones that don't deserve to sell for more because that is already the best.
    04-12-19 08:55 AM
    I think many forget how long it took them to get use to BB10.... There was a time we would tell newbie to give it at least a month. But in truth Android wasn't as different from BB10 as BB10 was from BBOS.
    I keep hearing this, but it never made sense to me. I had used BBOS and iOS when BB10 launched. I went through the auto training, referenced a couple of online resources, and by the end if the day, it was my OS of choice.

One of the most disappointing aspects of Android for me is that, while its est to learn to use, it's just much less efficient than BB10 for one-handed use.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-12-19 09:24 AM
160 1234 ...