So, after weeks of using my PRIV, I have decided to switch to my Passport as main driver again. Through this period, I've used my Passport at home as secondary device and several times thought of switching to it, so I've finally done it for the following reasons:

1) Battery and heating issue on PRIV: The former forces me to plug my phone at work or carry around my external battery, easy fix. But IMHO, the heating issue is quite annoying. If I use the phone lightly, I'll get me through a regular day, but it's not close to my Passport experience.

2) Updates: Related to the above, as it is an AT&T unlocked device, it still hasn't updated to Marshmallow. Once MM is released by AT&T and I'm able to update it, I'll probably consider switching back to the PRIV.

This, however, poses the problem of not having an active AT&T SIM in Mexico. My current two solutions are: Try an AT&T Mexico SIM in hopes it gets the update or use the autoloader once it's available. The latter, makes me reinforce the idea of not yet using the PRIV as main device and rather wait until after updating it to MM.

3) BBM video is an important element of BB10, as I can communicate seamlessly with my parents who live abroad (mom has a Classic and dad has a Z30). If I'm not mistaken, it will be made available some time in the future for the PRIV, crossing my fingers.

4) Protection: Mexican Mail Post's fault, as I still haven't received my hard shell case with stand ordered from the Crackberry Shop over a month ago. I've been carrying the PRIV either naked or with the swivel holster (only when not wearing a suit or jacket, mostly on the weekends), but twice got close to dropping it, so I'd rather wait to get the case.

5) The Passport's screen is excellent for viewing documents. Although the PRIV has a whole variety of apps for viewing these, I find it less comfortable on the 16:9 ratio. And in all honesty, the PRIV seems like most slab phones, while the Passport really stands out as a mini computer.

6) Hub: The PRIV's version has gotten nicer with the recent updates, including better integration with apps like WhatsApp, but it's still not at the BB10 level. It doesn't feel as a natural part of the OS and rather just an added app; many times I end up opening the apps instead of using the Hub, contrary to BB10.

7) Peek and flow: I'm not fully convinced by the Android OS yet and I don't find it as fluid as BB10. Likewise, the peek gesture from BB10 is just an amazing feature, where on the PRIV, I find myself having to minimise apps.

What I do miss from the PRIV is, of course, the app selection, specially for transportation. Uber is the only one I've found a decent replacement on BB10 (Ubr by Nemory or Android apk from GPS). Cabify works only through the Browser, while Yaxi doesn't even have a webapp and Easy Taxi has quite a rubbish app on BlackBerry World.

With the recent confirmation that WhatsApp will drop support for BB10 and the OS not being further developed, I can see myself moving back to the PRIV in the near future. Hopefully by then, I've gotten the MM update. In the meantime, my Passport has just managed to slip into overtime as main device, so let's rock this beast once again!

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    Last edited by JG_Agustin; 05-19-16 at 02:10 PM.
    05-19-16 01:55 PM
    Nice post JG, not having the PRIV, I can not speak for it, but I know that I have been a BB10 convert since December when I got my Passport, it is my first BB phone, and I love it. I just cracked my screen, and when I told my wife, she said she was due for an upgrade on her phone, and she would get a new one, and I could have here old Samsung, but I told her I could not give up my BB. I looks as if BB10 is a goner in the next year or two but I will continue using it until it's gone.
    jope28 likes this.
    05-20-16 09:27 PM
    Nice post JG, not having the PRIV, I can not speak for it, but I know that I have been a BB10 convert since December when I got my Passport, it is my first BB phone, and I love it. I just cracked my screen, and when I told my wife, she said she was due for an upgrade on her phone, and she would get a new one, and I could have here old Samsung, but I told her I could not give up my BB. I looks as if BB10 is a goner in the next year or two but I will continue using it until it's gone.
    This is a good Idea! And I only can say I will follow it. I will use my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition until it's Broken or got Stolen ;P

 P A S S P O R T [ S E]  | CB App |
    05-21-16 09:52 AM