I have to disagree. Typing with the Passport is easier and less painful than on Q10. I have small hands and the bigger keyboard/phone gives me the space to type easily. Whereas for the Q10, my pinky fingers tend to get tangled plus holding it is less comfortable. The typing experience wise is not so fun. However the Classic can't be beat. Typing on that thing is spot on.

 Power of QNX
    10-10-16 01:20 AM
    It is not so much "fatigue" in that your hands get tired physically - but you get tired of it mentally, as it is too wide.

It's too wide for your shirt pockets, too wide for your jeans. As such, it is cumbersome to bring this thing with you on a night out at the bar, for example.

The keyboard is personal and you do adapt to it, but saying it is on par with traditional qwerty is like saying the qwerty is on par with a computer keyboard.

Yes you can get fast, I would even agree you can be faster on the Passport - but the mind and muscle execution dynamics are different and that is a fact.

Try transcribing an audio recording with both input methods and see who begins to run into problems first.

It is the same reason why swype input or one handed typing, while some prefer it, is easily inferior when it comes to certain tasks - taking notes or transcribing audio being one of them.

Final thoughts on size - it was designed for certain professions in mind. If you're not going to be taking advantage of the screen, then this device has no advantages over the other devices offered.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    10-10-16 06:49 AM
    moving across the Passport keyboard can definitely cause fatigue. I like it because my hands don't cramp from lack of space, but there is a lot of travel time between keys to consider, and the OG has a tiring key press on top of that.

but yes, on the go, the Passport is annoying for its size. that said, we really shouldn't be carrying cell phones in our pockets with such a poor understanding of the effects of radiation.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-10-16 08:35 AM
    moving across the Passport keyboard can definitely cause fatigue. I like it because my hands don't cramp from lack of space, but there is a lot of travel time between keys to consider, and the OG has a tiring key press on top of that.
    I've never tried the SE. Is there really that much a difference in keyboard feel? I agree the original Passport's keys are a touch on the stiff side.

As for portability, I've found that my Passport fits in my front trouser pockets easily, everything from jeans to track pants to dress pants. When I wear a suite, the phone fits easily into the inside jacket pocket. I never got in the habit of putting a phone into a front shirt pocket; the few times I put a phone there, I found it would fall out easily .
    10-10-16 10:39 AM
    I found this thread fascinating, as it detailed the evolution of OP's experience from acquisition, transition and finally rejection of the Passport. (It's also great to see Shuswap's posts again)...

A few things stood out, and one thing struck me in particular, i.e., weight and fatigue using the Passport. First off, the Passport is absolutely the heaviest phone I've ever used, but thankfully I can use it for hours without any fatigue or pain. Mind you, I've been playing violin since I was six, so that could be why. If this phone caused fatigue or posed a threat to my tendons, I'd have done the same as OP!

Second, the three row keyboard. The last pkb phone I used prior to the Passport was a Q10 (waves to Shuswap). When I first used the Passport, punctuation slowed me down the most. I kept pausing while I looked for shift / alt. Letters felt natural enough, however. It took two weeks for reaching up for punctuation and numbers to start to flow naturally. Now I can type quite rapidly and accurately without looking!

I am also one of those weirdos who is slowed down by auto-complete, spell -check and flick. I'm a very fast touch typist on a computer keyboard, so I'm most comfortable and efficient typing out entire words completely, even on the Passport's keyboard. It took time for the old nervous system to commit the 3 row flow to muscle memory, but now it's second nature, and my typing speed is easily on par with how I did on the Q10.

Hopefully this perspective might help someone who's currently contemplating an SE given the current highly attractive pricing! If I have any advice, it's this: if it's not too heavy for you, stick with it and you'll be surprised how quick your typing will get.

Cheers.

Passport SQW100-1 running OS 10.3.3.746
    Hey sgosh! LTNS! I trust there have been no double-typing issues on the Passport

I've never owned a Passport, but I've read in various threads around here that the SE's keyboard has a slightly softer feel (in the sense that it takes less force to actuate a key).

I tried the Passport at Future Shop or Best Buy. I can't remember which one it was back then. Anyways, the width reminded me of the old landscape sliders, which does slow me down a little. Strangely enough, I wasn't worried about getting used to the row of keys on the screen, but I did find the space bar positioning disconcerting.

I think comfort and typing speed should be considered separately. I'm fastest on my Pre3, even with those tiny little keys, because of the minimal range of travel required to move from key to key. Even so, I prefer typing on the Bold 9900 and Q10 keyboards. They feel so much more relaxed to use.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-10-16 12:19 PM
    I've never tried the SE. Is there really that much a difference in keyboard feel? I agree the original Passport's keys are a touch on the stiff side.

As for portability, I've found that my Passport fits in my front trouser pockets easily, everything from jeans to track pants to dress pants. When I wear a suite, the phone fits easily into the inside jacket pocket. I never got in the habit of putting a phone into a front shirt pocket; the few times I put a phone there, I found it would fall out easily .
    It fits but I wouldn't compare it to a normal sized phone.

Unless you're wearing xl loose fit pants with large pockets, if you need to sit down a lot or walk up stairs, you will feel the pocket putting strain on the phone. Same goes for devices that are too tall like your 5.5' phones.

That said the market seems to show people are getting by with big phones so if you are one of these people, the passport is no more cumbersome than an iphone plus or a galaxy note.

For me, I get annoyed carrying large devices around in my pockets unless it is a jacket pocket.

One reason why the Priv can't be my daily driver. I'd rather the passport if I need to be weighed down by a large device because at least the screen is useful on the passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-10-16 12:32 PM

SE's keys are softer.. I only tried Passport black on local stores here. I like the silver edition's keys

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 07:28 PM
    SE's keys are softer.. I only tried Passport black on local stores here. I like the silver edition's keys

Posted via CB10
    Good to know. I wonder if the SE's keyboard can be transplanted into the original model's body ....

Funnily, because of the reliability issues I had with the Q10's keyboard, I have a spare Passport for parts plus an extra keyboard ... LOLz.
    10-11-16 10:20 AM
    It fits but I wouldn't compare it to a normal sized phone.
    That said the market seems to show people are getting by with big phones so if you are one of these people, the passport is no more cumbersome than an iphone plus or a galaxy note.
    Fair point. I suppose the bar's been raised as far what a normal phone size is. I have a 5.5" Zenfone 2 sitting here, and to me it looks small. LOL.
    10-11-16 10:21 AM
    Hey sgosh! LTNS! I trust there have been no double-typing issues on the Passport
    So far, so good! But of course ... I have a spare Passport for parts, and a spare Passport keyboard sitting around, just in case! Yes, I'm prepared for the Passport Apocalypse.

Awkward typing experience on Passport SE-p_20161011_082509.jpg
    anon(8063781) and vincentkong like this.
    10-11-16 10:31 AM
    Wow that's a great idea! I wonder if you can swap the keys or not!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 11:21 AM
    Wow that's a great idea! I wonder if you can swap the keys or not!

Posted via CB10
    I do not believe you can. They are not the same.
    10-11-16 11:46 AM
    Once you type on BlackBerry going back to any touchscreen typing is rediculous. A total downgrade. It' s sad to see how many people follow stupid trends ... if there is no typing feedback there is no satisfaction

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-02-16 09:57 AM
    I've got a Q10. At the risk of sounding like a total newbie, what's the flicking thing about?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-16 02:41 PM
    I do have the double typing thing on my white Passport. The thing with all the BB10 keyboard phones is they all have advantages. I love the toolbelt on the Classic, the teeny size of the Q10 (winner!!!) and the big screen and scrolly-keys of the Passport, as a better-than-a-tablet device. It's nice to browse without accidentally 'clicking' on a link from screen-swiping, and flipping it sideways fir browsing is the best.
    11-03-16 02:09 AM
    I've got a Q10. At the risk of sounding like a total newbie, what's the flicking thing about?

Posted via CB10
    On a Passport, the keyboard could actually acts like BB10's Virtual Keyboard, in which, you could flick or swipe up with your thumbs on the physical keyboard to choose suggested words presented on lowest part of the screen, just above the keyboard. You could even scroll up and down a page by swiping up and down on the physical keyboard, as well as zoom in and out by swipe-pinch the physical keyboard with both of your thumbs.

Sick, right?

Now, imagine having this ability on the Q10. Whoa....
    11-03-16 01:17 PM
    the classic suck ***... the cpu is too slow, not enough ram, and the gpu sucks. What a major downgrade. You'll get used to the passport, we all have. I absolutely love my pp keyboard.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    11-03-16 02:47 PM
    I've had my passport for about a month now. Once you get used to the hybrid keyboard, it's actually very fast and accurate. I don't miss the Q10 at all. The biggest difficulty I've had is typing too fast and accidentally swiping to the left and deleting a word.

Posted via CB10
    vincentkong likes this.
    11-03-16 03:31 PM
    the classic suck ***... the cpu is too slow, not enough ram, and the gpu sucks. What a major downgrade. You'll get used to the passport, we all have. I absolutely love my pp keyboard.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    agree classic is too slow to my liking specially if ur using passport now u will see the difference easily

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 03:47 AM
    It took me months to acclimate to the three row keyboard. It can take time.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 03:56 AM
    It took me months to acclimate to the three row keyboard. It can take time.

Posted via CB10
    Took me over a YEAR but I cannot get over the stiffness of the keys. It's tiring to use for long period of time. And I type a lot of pages at a time.

Eventually I sold and replace it with a Z30, specifically for typing pages of documents on the go.

As for Classic, I find it odd that Q10 is a little bit more powerful. Which is why I use it as my daily driver. The keypad is MUCH softer and not as tiring compared to the Passport. Comfortable, yes, very much so, but still not as comfy as Z30 for typing pages of documents.
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 11-01-17 at 06:59 AM.
    11-04-16 05:05 AM
    People were so infatuated with the classic when they came out then majorly let down by the performance. It's like, welcome the the 9930 you blokes...

Posted via CB10 Passport
    11-04-16 05:34 AM
    I would like to say that I am not using a Passport SE but and OG. I understand your concern but you will adjust over time. One problem I've considered against the SE is the lack of case options and that can make or break the deal.
    I decided to stay with my OG cause I've been buying and stockpiling many of the case and clips that are sold cheap in the CrackBerry store. I am able to prop the clip open with the kick stand arm and slide my finger through for added support even for typing upside down in bed.

http://crackberry.com/passport-case-...just-495-today

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 06:51 AM
123 ... 345