I think as a qwerty guy who loved the bold 9930 you owe it to yourself to give the Classic a spin man.

You might find it unnecessarily big coming from the Q10, but if you are coming from the Passport the Classic is a refreshing size.

#whatisclassic
    I'm definitely leaning towards a Classic. But I'm eyeing the PRIV, too.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-03-16 11:47 AM
    Annoyingly I have to agree. The PPSE is a great looking device (and a real conversation starter) but the combined PKB/VKB just isn't as efficient as either a straight PKB or VKB. I have therefore gone back to me Leap.

Posted via CB10
    I can't blame you. If a physical keyboard isn't a must, you can't go wrong with BlackBerry's virtual keyboard. I think BlackBerry can't be touched in keyboards period, physical or touchscreen. My z30 is so accurate with the swipe up predictions, I can almost type by just swiping up.

Posted via CB10
    JNorth22 likes this.
    10-03-16 12:29 PM
    Lovely keyboard...try going back to the q or 9900 after using the pp for a few month...nightmare!!!
    Too true. I use a Bold 9900 as a second phone, and the Bold and Passport (SE) are very different typing experience. The Passport SE keys are fatter, the typing surface is wider, and the software / capacitive kb are like power steering. I love using my Bold kb, but I do have to shift mental gears for it.
    10-03-16 02:28 PM
    I think as a qwerty guy who loved the bold 9930 you owe it to yourself to give the Classic a spin man.

You might find it unnecessarily big coming from the Q10, but if you are coming from the Passport the Classic is a refreshing size.

#whatisclassic

Why do I have the feeling that everyone reading this thread knows that with enough encouragement, we'll soon be reading Newfangled's "A Classic Experience: 30 days with BlackBerry's Retro Throwback"?

But seriously, Newfangled, you just have to do it. You've done the Bold 9900 and the Q10. Great writers produce trilogies.
    10-03-16 09:05 PM
    Why do I have the feeling that everyone reading this thread knows that with enough encouragement, we'll soon be reading Newfangled's "A Classic Experience: 30 days with BlackBerry's Retro Throwback"?

But seriously, Newfangled, you just have to do it. You've done the Bold 9900 and the Q10. Great writers produce trilogies.
    It's inevitable, of course. It's only a matter of time before I get my hands on a Classic.

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    10-03-16 09:14 PM

But, I sure thought Newfangled would be impressed with the passport and write something about it. :-(

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 04:47 AM
    But, I sure thought Newfangled would be impressed with the passport and write something about it. :-(

Posted via CB10
    It did leave an impression. Literally. In my hands. Because of its massive bulk and weight.

I tried using it to live-tweet 6 hours worth of speeches at a conference and it left my hands fatigued and sore.

I then used my Q10 to live-tweet another 4 hours of conference and it was a much better experience for me.

The Passport is a brilliant device in so many ways and I can see why its fans love it, including John Chen. I probably could have gotten used to the typing experience well enough to get by, but the form factor itself just isn't for me.

I will write about it, but it won't be what Passport fans want to hear.

10-04-16 06:58 AM
    Don't give up!

Try it at least 2-3 weeks.

You will have at least the same typing speed or better than with the q10.

Regards
    10-04-16 07:55 AM
    Don't give up!

Try it at least 2-3 weeks.

You will have at least the same typing speed or better than with the q10.

Regards
    It's not just the typing experience that I didn't like. The bulk and weight of it isn't what I want in my daily driver. The form factor itself won't work for me.

10-04-16 08:03 AM
    It did leave an impression. Literally. In my hands. Because of its massive bulk and weight.

I tried using it to live-tweet 6 hours worth of speeches at a conference and it left my hands fatigued and sore.

I then used my Q10 to live-tweet another 4 hours of conference and it was a much better experience for me.

The Passport is a brilliant device in so many ways and I can see why its fans love it, including John Chen. I probably could have gotten used to the typing experience well enough to get by, but the form factor itself just isn't for me.

I will write about it, but it won't be what Passport fans want to hear.

Please write it. I want to read. Seriously.

In any case, besides the weight and bulkiness, the softness of the keyboard doesn't help at all with the typing process? It still leaves you with tired and sore fingers? Really?

I'm asking because I've been wanting to have the SE and have a mind to make it my daily driver, replacing my dual combo of Q10/Z30, using it for a LOT of typing. But if your experience speaks volume, I think I'll stay with my current combo. I'm getting very much used with the Z30's VKB to do my typing, anyway. Very long typing, at that--like, pages of them. I reserve the Q10 for phone calls, texts, and social media.

Anyway, please write the review. I wanna know. Thanks in advance!
    10-04-16 08:33 AM
    I'm trying to train myself to flick whenever possible. It�s slowing me down right now but I hope it will speed up as I go along.

Posted from my Passport SE via CB10
    I've been working with my SE for about six months now, and my speed is much slower than I'd like--than is acceptable really. I came from a Z30 and a Z10 before that. I have to admit that I miss those keyboards and am considering pulling the Z30 back out as my daily driver solely because of the typing experience. Having only three words available to flick on the SE really slows down my typing. The keyboard isn't nearly in tune with my typing as the Z30/Z10's keyboards were. I used to be able to flick whole sentences on those devices in mere seconds. On the SE, I'm constantly having to slow down to see if the next word I'm trying to type is a flick option, and then figure if it's left, middle, or center. It's a real hassle. And then it's an awkward 3-row keyboard. The rest of the SE makes up for these shortcomings (as I see them), but I've really missed the VKB since getting the SE.

Good luck in your SE typing endeavors. I think BB might have cannibalized its PKB with its VKB though. That thing is amazing! You don't even have to hit the correct letters or the space bar yet it still knows what you're trying to type. Damn amazing! Let me go get my Z30 now!!
    10-07-16 02:49 PM
    Z30's vs Priv's VKB. Which one is better?
    I'm not sure of the differences and have only used the Z30's, but I can highly, highly recommend it. See my previous post.
    10-07-16 02:58 PM
    I've been working with my SE for about six months now, and my speed is much slower than I'd like--than is acceptable really. I came from a Z30 and a Z10 before that. I have to admit that I miss those keyboards and am considering pulling the Z30 back out as my daily driver solely because of the typing experience. Having only three words available to flick on the SE really slows down my typing. The keyboard isn't nearly in tune with my typing as the Z30/Z10's keyboards were. I used to be able to flick whole sentences on those devices in mere seconds. On the SE, I'm constantly having to slow down to see if the next word I'm trying to type is a flick option, and then figure if it's left, middle, or center. It's a real hassle. And then it's an awkward 3-row keyboard. The rest of the SE makes up for these shortcomings (as I see them), but I've really missed the VKB since getting the SE.

Good luck in your SE typing endeavors. I think BB might have cannibalized its PKB with its VKB though. That thing is amazing! You don't even have to hit the correct letters or the space bar yet it still knows what you're trying to type. Damn amazing! Let me go get my Z30 now!!
    I already sent back my Passport SE. The typing experience, bulk, and weight weren't what I wanted in my daily driver smartphone.

I do have a Z30 and was messing with it a bit yesterday. Great virtual keyboard but still no match for a physical keyboard, IMO.

10-07-16 03:28 PM
    Back on my Q10 again and damn that form factor is just so perfect.

Just a caution - you might not get used to the Classic either if you go from the Q10 loll.

If you use popular devices though from android - like your typical 5.5' phone, or say the Passport, the Classic is so friggin awesome.

The build does feel sturdier on the Classic, keyboard is the pinnacle as I said of BlackBerry engineering, but the Q10 I still feel - looks sexier and modern, and that glass weave is in its own league.

But if you're using both - the Classic will feel more premium while the Q10 feels somewhat plastic.

But overall I think if I had to pick just one - it'd be the Q10.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    10-08-16 05:04 PM
    Back on my Q10 again and damn that form factor is just so perfect.

Just a caution - you might not get used to the Classic either if you go from the Q10 loll.

If you use popular devices though from android - like your typical 5.5' phone, or say the Passport, the Classic is so friggin awesome.

The build does feel sturdier on the Classic, keyboard is the pinnacle as I said of BlackBerry engineering, but the Q10 I still feel - looks sexier and modern, and that glass weave is in its own league.

But if you're using both - the Classic will feel more premium while the Q10 feels somewhat plastic.

But overall I think if I had to pick just one - it'd be the Q10.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    I need to try the Classic at least for a few days. The toolbelt is definitely calling to me. Another thing I Ike is the USB port is on the bottom - more dock friendly.

But I'm prepared to hunker down with the Q10 if the Classic seems too big or I can't live with the sealed battery.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-08-16 05:37 PM
    I need to try the Classic at least for a few days. The toolbelt is definitely calling to me. Another thing I Ike is the USB port is on the bottom - more dock friendly.

But I'm prepared to hunker down with the Q10 if the Classic seems too big or I can't live with the sealed battery.

I prefer the usb on the side, fits in the cupholder. Also, that micro HDMI port is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 12:10 AM
    I prefer the usb on the side, fits in the cupholder. Also, that micro HDMI port is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    I dunno why they got rid of it. It was very useful
    10-09-16 12:47 AM
    Me using PKB after 5long years and I love every bit of it, specially the touch gestures I must say blackberry is, has, will create masterpiece.

Now your comparison is towards Classic I can't compare with it as i don't own that device.

Akram Khan BB Pin: 2BE444CF Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport.
    10-09-16 02:40 AM

Does this mean a Classic is on the way?
    10-09-16 10:53 AM
    Does this mean a Classic is on the way?
    Not on the way, but next on my list.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-09-16 11:30 AM
    Not on the way, but next on my list.

Good luck but you should be wary of their 2012 processor hehe its slow as fox and it stutters at times (actually both Q10 and Classic) I owned both of them and right now im on my pp se the only thing that sucks on this passport se is not the three row pkb but the vkb part but for me its tolerable but pp se is way way faster

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 08:28 PM
    Good luck but you should be wary of their 2012 processor hehe its slow as fox and it stutters at times (actually both Q10 and Classic) I owned both of them and right now im on my pp se the only thing that sucks on this passport se is not the three row pkb but the vkb part but for me its tolerable but pp se is way way faster

Posted via CB10
    I'm using a Q10 right now and it's plenty fast for my needs.

10-09-16 08:43 PM
    I'm using a Q10 right now and it's plenty fast for my needs.

Passport takes some getting used to. I would look into getting a classic. I have both and I prefer the Classic for every day use. If I know I'm going to need the big screen, I use the Passport as a secondary device.

I love the Classic. It's plenty fast for what I use it for.

I've never used a Q10. I'm intrigued to see how smooth it actually is.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 
    10-09-16 09:43 PM
    I found this thread fascinating, as it detailed the evolution of OP's experience from acquisition, transition and finally rejection of the Passport. (It's also great to see Shuswap's posts again)...

A few things stood out, and one thing struck me in particular, i.e., weight and fatigue using the Passport. First off, the Passport is absolutely the heaviest phone I've ever used, but thankfully I can use it for hours without any fatigue or pain. Mind you, I've been playing violin since I was six, so that could be why. If this phone caused fatigue or posed a threat to my tendons, I'd have done the same as OP!

Second, the three row keyboard. The last pkb phone I used prior to the Passport was a Q10 (waves to Shuswap). When I first used the Passport, punctuation slowed me down the most. I kept pausing while I looked for shift / alt. Letters felt natural enough, however. It took two weeks for reaching up for punctuation and numbers to start to flow naturally. Now I can type quite rapidly and accurately without looking!

I am also one of those weirdos who is slowed down by auto-complete, spell -check and flick. I'm a very fast touch typist on a computer keyboard, so I'm most comfortable and efficient typing out entire words completely, even on the Passport's keyboard. It took time for the old nervous system to commit the 3 row flow to muscle memory, but now it's second nature, and my typing speed is easily on par with how I did on the Q10.

Hopefully this perspective might help someone who's currently contemplating an SE given the current highly attractive pricing! If I have any advice, it's this: if it's not too heavy for you, stick with it and you'll be surprised how quick your typing will get.

Cheers.

Passport SQW100-1 running OS 10.3.3.746
    10-09-16 11:25 PM
    I found this thread fascinating, as it detailed the evolution of OP's experience from acquisition, transition and finally rejection of the Passport. (It's also great to see Shuswap's posts again)...

A few things stood out, and one thing struck me in particular, i.e., weight and fatigue using the Passport. First off, the Passport is absolutely the heaviest phone I've ever used, but thankfully I can use it for hours without any fatigue or pain. Mind you, I've been playing violin since I was six, so that could be why. If this phone caused fatigue or posed a threat to my tendons, I'd have done the same as OP!

Second, the three row keyboard. The last pkb phone I used prior to the Passport was a Q10 (waves to Shuswap). When I first used the Passport, punctuation slowed me down the most. I kept pausing while I looked for shift / alt. Letters felt natural enough, however. It took two weeks for reaching up for punctuation and numbers to start to flow naturally. Now I can type quite rapidly and accurately without looking!

I am also one of those weirdos who is slowed down by auto-complete, spell -check and flick. I'm a very fast touch typist on a computer keyboard, so I'm most comfortable and efficient typing out entire words completely, even on the Passport's keyboard. It took time for the old nervous system to commit the 3 row flow to muscle memory, but now it's second nature, and my typing speed is easily on par with how I did on the Q10.

Hopefully this perspective might help someone who's currently contemplating an SE given the current highly attractive pricing! If I have any advice, it's this: if it's not too heavy for you, stick with it and you'll be surprised how quick your typing will get.

Cheers.

Passport SQW100-1 running OS 10.3.3.746
    Good points! Thanks for sharing your experience! If it was the awkwardness of the keyboard alone that I dealt with, then I might have given it 2 weeks to give my muscle memory time to adjust. But it was the bulk and weight of the device that really tipped the scale (haha) for me.

10-09-16 11:38 PM
123 ... 2345