It took me a little time coming from Classic and other BB10 devices but I can absolutely just flyyyy on the Passport SE keyboard and actually find it very enjoyable to type on

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 03:29 PM
    Yes this is true. You have to think more about typing your next word and wondering if the phone will recognize your next word when you start typing it out to flick

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JNorth22 likes this.
    10-02-16 04:26 PM
    Get a Q10 if you want it to last and easier to fix in the long run. The typing experience is more or less the same, I think.
    Agreed on the repair front.

I have a Bold 9900 and Q10, and really like both keyboards. That being said, I tried out a Classic in the store, and that slightly larger keyboard really is sweet.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-02-16 04:36 PM
    Having mid sized hands I have used the Q10, classic, z10, z30, old passport, see passport and priv I liked z30 and the SE the best in terms of a vkb and a pkb.

After coming from the bold 9900 I really looked forward to the classic with the track pad and for the most part it works extremely well.

The SE will definitely take a few weeks of typing to have its learning your sentence composition. After it learns it the word prediction is amazing in that the 3 most popular predicted words are above the section of the letter it starts with so it becomes intuitive to just flick and you can start typing faster using it. But it doesn't happen after a week or two it'll take up to a month depending on how much you type with it.

I can't say I've live blogger with it but I used it naked and with the Seidio surface case with its rounded corners which seems to really helped the comfort level holding in the hands.

Sending out legal response emails that are a few pages I've done with relative ease and preferred over my laptop keyboard.

It just comes down to what you really like to have. I traded the bb10 keyboard experience of the classic with the speed and capacitive passport keyboard for scrolling and flicking to be most productive for me, for you it might be totally different.

Good luck.
    10-02-16 04:51 PM
    Get a Q10 if you want it to last and easier to fix in the long run. The typing experience is more or less the same, I think.
    I have a Q10 and am very comfortable replacing parts.

Awkward typing experience on Passport SE-wp_20160213_003.jpg

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-02-16 05:10 PM
    I don't use predictive texts and no flicking for me. I type every single word out.

I do find it a bit slow when I need to type out a special character, numbers, etc. But once you get the hang of it, the VKB does do wonders in terms of what you commonly need. For instance, no longer do I need to alt a key to get a comma or hold down a key to get a number. A quick touch or two let's you get there.

It would be nice if the VKB also learn what you type most and allow it to be at the top; something like a quick shortcut.

It's nice generally...took me less than a week to get used to it coming from a Q10.

Can't go back to anything smaller now. I sure hope a Passport is in the works for next year.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    I'm the same - I have to type out the entire word every time. And I don't like auto-complete, auto-correct, or flicking. They all slow me down and waste my time correcting things.

10-02-16 05:14 PM
    Agreed on the repair front.

I have a Bold 9900 and Q10, and really like both keyboards. That being said, I tried out a Classic in the store, and that slightly larger keyboard really is sweet.
    It's not just the keyboard, it's the toolbelt that intrigues me about the Classic. On my 9930 the toolbelt is brilliant for text editing.

10-02-16 05:15 PM
    Having mid sized hands I have used the Q10, classic, z10, z30, old passport, see passport and priv I liked z30 and the SE the best in terms of a vkb and a pkb.

After coming from the bold 9900 I really looked forward to the classic with the track pad and for the most part it works extremely well.

The SE will definitely take a few weeks of typing to have its learning your sentence composition. After it learns it the word prediction is amazing in that the 3 most popular predicted words are above the section of the letter it starts with so it becomes intuitive to just flick and you can start typing faster using it. But it doesn't happen after a week or two it'll take up to a month depending on how much you type with it.

I can't say I've live blogger with it but I used it naked and with the Seidio surface case with its rounded corners which seems to really helped the comfort level holding in the hands.

Sending out legal response emails that are a few pages I've done with relative ease and preferred over my laptop keyboard.

It just comes down to what you really like to have. I traded the bb10 keyboard experience of the classic with the speed and capacitive passport keyboard for scrolling and flicking to be most productive for me, for you it might be totally different.

Good luck.
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I have a Z30 and Z10 and no matter how hard I have tried or how long I have used them I just can't integrate flick-to-complete into my typing workflow. I find it awkward, cumbersome, and ultimately less efficient than typing out the entire word myself.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-02-16 05:19 PM
    It's not just the keyboard, it's the toolbelt that intrigues me about the Classic. On my 9930 the toolbelt is brilliant for text editing.

Yes. It is. There's nothing better than the trackpad for text selection -- or for keeping your screen smudge-free.
    10-02-16 05:21 PM
    /smartass alert/

No no no!!!!! Quit talking about it! I'm trying to ignore it. I know that keyboard must be all janky and weird to use.... right? right? I won't like it, right?
    I tried to talk myself out of it but I've been putting it off for far too long. It was a "now or never" type situation for me and I knew that if I didn't at least try it I would regret it forever.
    I'm kinda glad you decided to be the tester. How 'bout you get a Classic now and report back?
    10-02-16 06:04 PM
    I'm kinda glad you decided to be the tester. How 'bout you get a Classic now and report back?
    I have a confession to make. About 5 hours ago I swapped my SIM back into my Q10 and put the Passport SE back in its box. Unless I talk myself out of it I'm planning on returning or selling it.

I think I realized the keyboard wasn't going to be what I expected from my daily driver. But also it's just too heavy and bulky for me.

I carry my phone in my front right pants pocket and the Passport is just too bulky to do that comfortably. And I am NOT clipping that beast to my belt using a holster. I'd look like such a goof (well...more of a goof than I already am).

I need to be able to comfortably hold the phone to type and nothing I've tried as far as the fingers or grip I use is nearly as comfortable as my Q10. I live-blogged another 4 hours worth of conference today on my Q10 and the difference in efficiency, accuracy, and overall comfort compared to my SE was night and day.

I love the look of the SE - the "wow factor". I love the big beautiful screen. I love the fast and powerful performance. But at the end of the day, if I can't comfortably and effortlessly type on it, it's not the phone for me.

I'm sure I would have gotten more comfortable with it over time, but from the very helpful comments on this thread I've realized that I would be required to do a lot of flicking and swiping to get the most out of the typing experience. Whether I try it for 3 days or 3 weeks, I know that's not going to work for me. Based on my previous failed attempts to use flick-to-complete on my Z10 and Z30 virtual keyboards, I know I'll spend more time trying to find the word I want to flick than it would take for me to just type it out completely on a "classic" 4-row BlackBerry keyboard.

Again, I typed out this post very comfortably on my Q10, but I wouldn't have wanted to do so on my SE.

I guess I'm just a little too "old school" for those newfangled Passports.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-02-16 06:29 PM
    Good detailed post! I thought the q10 would be the better fit. I myself use a Q10 and am very happy with the overall performance and size. good luck
    10-02-16 06:51 PM
    I have a confession to make. About 5 hours ago I swapped my SIM back into my Q10 and put the Passport SE back in its box. Unless I talk myself out of it I'm planning on returning or selling it.

I know what you mean. I can get used to anything, and think that it's 'okay,' but then when I switch back to what I really like, the effortlessness of it is obvious and the difference is night and day. I kind of think that's the best you could expect with the Passport: okay, but not as good as the standard four-row keyboard.

I agree about the looks of the device. The Silver Edition has the most elegant design -- it's as nice or nicer than the Bold 9900. It would have been great to have had a Bold with that diamond cut back, the chrome camera ring, etc.
    10-02-16 06:52 PM
    Yes. It is. There's nothing better than the trackpad for text selection -- or for keeping your screen smudge-free.
    Text selection is a pain to me on the Passport.

Wish they could do something with it...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    10-02-16 07:26 PM

I think I realized the keyboard wasn't going to be what I expected from my daily driver. But also it's just too heavy and bulky for me.

I carry my phone in my front right pants pocket and the Passport is just too bulky to do that comfortably. And I am NOT clipping that beast to my belt using a holster. I'd look like such a goof (well...more of a goof than I already am).

I need to be able to comfortably hold the phone to type and nothing I've tried as far as the fingers or grip I use is nearly as comfortable as my Q10. I live-blogged another 4 hours worth of conference today on my Q10 and the difference in efficiency, accuracy, and overall comfort compared to my SE was night and day.

I love the look of the SE - the "wow factor". I love the big beautiful screen. I love the fast and powerful performance. But at the end of the day, if I can't comfortably and effortlessly type on it, it's not the phone for me.

I'm sure I would have gotten more comfortable with it over time, but from the very helpful comments on this thread I've realized that I would be required to do a lot of flicking and swiping to get the most out of the typing experience. Whether I try it for 3 days or 3 weeks, I know that's not going to work for me. Based on my previous failed attempts to use flick-to-complete on my Z10 and Z30 virtual keyboards, I know I'll spend more time trying to find the word I want to flick than it would take for me to just type it out completely on a "classic" 4-row BlackBerry keyboard.

Again, I typed out this post very comfortably on my Q10, but I wouldn't have wanted to do so on my SE.

Annoyingly I have to agree. The PPSE is a great looking device (and a real conversation starter) but the combined PKB/VKB just isn't as efficient as either a straight PKB or VKB. I have therefore gone back to me Leap.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) and bigjman like this.
    10-03-16 01:06 AM
    Left handed??? Just curious because I am right handed and I use my right pinky to support mine when I type. I quite an indentation on my pinky because it is always used to support my devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-03-16 01:32 AM
    I didn't like the strange hybrid VKB/PKB at first, but I'm sold on it now. The extra large keys are worth it.
    10-03-16 02:24 AM
    Left handed??? Just curious because I am right handed and I use my right pinky to support mine when I type. I quite an indentation on my pinky because it is always used to support my devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I am an anomaly. I write and eat with my left hand but do everything else (throw, scissors, computer mouse, etc.) with my right hand.

10-03-16 06:48 AM
    I didn't like the strange hybrid VKB/PKB at first, but I'm sold on it now. The extra large keys are worth it.
    Oddly enough, I find the Passport keys a bit too large and the keyboard too wide for comfortable thumb typing. For me, the less movement required for marathon typing sessions, the better.

10-03-16 06:50 AM
    The OG offers a more comfortable typing experience when it comes to balancing the weight of the device. I am able to tuck my middle fingers under the bottom corners while typing, and that gives me the leverage I need.

You'll get used to typing on the Passport. I'm just as fast and more accurate. But complex sentences are definitely easier to accomplish on the Q10 or Classic.

But if it's causing you fatigue, that could lead to issues like carpal tunnel. So be careful.

What's more, be careful of where you carry your cell phone. Women are warned against carrying it in their top or bra, as I believe it's been positively linked to breast cancer. Same with the general recommendations of keeping it away from mens' genital areas (i.e. front pocket of pants).

We should be carrying bags or purses or holsters. They may look stupid, but it could be the better option in the long run to think about this and change your carrying habits. I'm hypocritical here, but i'm trying to adjust to a more uncool habit for future health.
    Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 06:52 AM
    What's more, be careful of where you carry your cell phone. Women are warned against carrying it in their top or bra, as I believe it's been positively linked to breast cancer. Same with the general recommendations of keeping it away from mens' genital areas (i.e. front pocket of pants).

We should be carrying bags or purses or holsters. They may look stupid, but it could be the better option in the long run to think about this and change your carrying habits. I'm hypocritical here, but i'm trying to adjust to a more uncool habit for future health.
    Posted via CB10
    I don't want to divert the thread around this, but I'm pretty sure cell phones and cancer have not been positively linked. Phones might be suspected in some cases, but not confirmed. Can you cite any legit studies?

A challenge with these studies is the sheer number of uncontrolled variables. Genetics, age, diet, etc. can all contribute to the probability of cancer--the fact that a woman often carried her phone in her bra could just be a coincidence. And if the sample size is representative enough, statistics suggest some folks will get cancer regardless of whether they're part of the control group or experimental group.

That said, it's probably not a bad idea to avoid keeping your phone in your bra or pants pocket for hours on end. I almost always set my phone down on the table or whatever once I'm no longer walking around.
    10-03-16 07:53 AM
    The OG offers a more comfortable typing experience when it comes to balancing the weight of the device. I am able to tuck my middle fingers under the bottom corners while typing, and that gives me the leverage I need.

You'll get used to typing on the Passport. I'm just as fast and more accurate. But complex sentences are definitely easier to accomplish on the Q10 or Classic.

But if it's causing you fatigue, that could lead to issues like carpal tunnel. So be careful.

Posted via CB10
    Complex sentences are a pretty frequent occurrence with me - commas, hyphens, quotes, apostrophes, semicolons, and various forms of punctuation are all used frequently. Even in instant messages and texts I insist on using proper spelling, grammar, etc.

So it's become painfully obvious to me that I'm just not going to be quite as efficient on the Passport keyboard as I am with the time-tested and proven 4-row keyboard.

Thanks for the reminder about how and where to carry devices. I can see myself using a holster for a Q10 or even a Classic, but definitely not a Passport.

10-03-16 07:56 AM
    I don't want to divert the thread around this, but I'm pretty sure cell phones and cancer have not been positively linked. Phones might be suspected in some cases, but not confirmed. Can you cite any legit studies?

A challenge with these studies is the sheer number of uncontrolled variables. Genetics, age, diet, etc. can all contribute to the probability of cancer--the fact that a woman often carried her phone in her bra could just be a coincidence. And if the sample size is representative enough, statistics suggest some folks will get cancer regardless of whether they're part of the control group or experimental group.

That said, it's probably not a bad idea to avoid keeping your phone in your bra or pants pocket for hours on end. I almost always set my phone down on the table or whatever once I'm no longer walking around.
    One thing I learned after stats class.... they can and are simply numbers derived to support the narrative you desire

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 07:56 AM
    Here's the thing, from my point of view, at least. There is a trade-off as with most choices in life. IMHO the Classic has the best pkb experience vs the Passport, but the Passport has a better screen and also a faster processor and overall speed. For me, this greatly outweighs the advantages that the Classic has for the keyboard. For you, maybe the keyboard is more important. I just find that the Classic is a little sluggish opening apps and especially in using some of the android apps that I use. (which are few, however).
    I agree on this one.. Q10 and Classic is slow as fox if u will compare it to passport.. hehe during my first few days with passport se its been a struggle but after few days with the three row pkb typing right now is not a hassle.. Though I agree that typing on classic is the best possible BlackBerry experience but the classic does have a pretty outdated specs to the point that there are times that it is annoying to use. U can easily notice the sluggishness of Classic if ur using passport

OG's pkb ive heard is not as good as the SE's PKB

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 08:27 AM
    Complex sentences are a pretty frequent occurrence with me - commas, hyphens, quotes, apostrophes, semicolons, and various forms of punctuation are all used frequently. Even in instant messages and texts I insist on using proper spelling, grammar, etc.

So it's become painfully obvious to me that I'm just not going to be quite as efficient on the Passport keyboard as I am with the time-tested and proven 4-row keyboard.

Thanks for the reminder about how and where to carry devices. I can see myself using a holster for a Q10 or even a Classic, but definitely not a Passport.

I think as a qwerty guy who loved the bold 9930 you owe it to yourself to give the Classic a spin man.

You might find it unnecessarily big coming from the Q10, but if you are coming from the Passport the Classic is a refreshing size.

#whatisclassic
    10-03-16 11:14 AM
123 12345