Yup. After a week or two I had it down to one handed use for everything but composing, obviously. Though with auto correct I could do terse replies one handed.
    Not meant for that but sure if you want to, but I will stick to the assertion that even if you were an NBA player with huge hands, you will get tired of said usage methods.

#workwide #OG Black
    10-02-16 09:32 AM
    I'm trying to train myself to flick whenever possible. It�s slowing me down right now but I hope it will speed up as I go along.

Posted from my Passport SE via CB10
    Won't work if you need to do things very specifically as the predictions will not be what you need, if you're taking notes for example.

Moreover the predictions have stagnated on bb10.

The Priv vkb works much better than the bb10 vkb right now.

#workwide #OG Black
    10-02-16 09:34 AM
    Yup. After a week or two I had it down to one handed use for everything but composing, obviously. Though with auto correct I could do terse replies one handed.
    Make sure you get a case for it because one handed use by way of the dimensions, there's no way you are holding it like a rectangular phone.

The phone is prone to being dropped due to the way of holding it one handed. Meaning it isn't fully cradled but one half is hanging off your hand.

Only time this thing is fully cradled is when making a phone call...and that gets tiring as well.

#workwide #OG Black
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-02-16 09:45 AM
    I'm really curious about the Classic now. That keyboard is a bit larger than the Q10 but not too large. It might hit a sweet spot for me.

The Classic keyboard is their best keyboard ever made period.

But make sure you get a later production model because the early ones had hollow feeling keys.

One sure shot is the Blue Classic, that keyboard was tight. Very nice!

#workwide #OG Black
    10-02-16 09:48 AM
    If you compare the two methods then you're never going to find the Passport experience good.

Truth is, the Passport method of typing really is slower compared to the traditional qwerty. By that I mean the experience is disjointed rather than very smooth.

Once you accept that reality, you will love the Passport.

The touch sensitive keyboard combined with the vkb and pkb mix really takes getting used to, but by no means does it ever compare to the regular way of input and it wasn't meant to be better. Just different.

For emails and texting this thing is fine.

But if you plan on taking notes at a lecture, meeting, or you're doing a live blog, this thing isn't recommended for the same reason an iphone wouldn't be....unless you can do voice dictation.

Even the way you hold it has to be different, big or small hands, this isn't meant to be held like a normal phone.

The main advantage of the Passport is the screen dimension.

Ps. I typed this on my og passport which is even harder than the SE to type on. Enjoyed every word of it. But I sure as heck would not be using this for note taking. Ever.

#workwide #OG Black
    I found this reply very helpful, thank you! I guess it's a matter of using the right tool for the right job. One of the main reasons I decided to switch from iPhone back to BlackBerry was for a physical keyboard.

The ideal typing experience for me is on a desktop or laptop keyboard. But I want the next best thing on my smartphone if a desktop or laptop is unavailable (or if I'm too lazy to go and use one).

If I dread composing a lengthy email, writing a blog post, or taking notes on a Passport then it may not be the experience I'm looking for.

10-02-16 09:57 AM
    Won't work if you need to do things very specifically as the predictions will not be what you need, if you're taking notes for example.

Moreover the predictions have stagnated on bb10.

The Priv vkb works much better than the bb10 vkb right now.

#workwide #OG Black
    I'm really curious about the Priv now because I do like the touch-sensitivity of the Passport keyboard but find myself wishing my Q10 had it.

10-02-16 09:59 AM
    I found this reply very helpful, thank you! I guess it's a matter of using the right tool for the right job. One of the main reasons I decided to switch from iPhone back to BlackBerry was for a physical keyboard.

The ideal typing experience for me is on a desktop or laptop keyboard. But I want the next best thing on my smartphone if a desktop or laptop is unavailable (or if I'm too lazy to go and use one).

If I dread composing a lengthy email, writing a blog post, or taking notes on a Passport then it may not be the experience I'm looking for.

No problem brother. I'd keep it still if I were you. But don't get rid of your q10!

#workwide #OG Black
    10-02-16 10:01 AM
    The Classic keyboard is their best keyboard ever made period.

But make sure you get a later production model because the early ones had hollow feeling keys.

One sure shot is the Blue Classic, that keyboard was tight. Very nice!

#workwide #OG Black
    The Classic is also enticing because, while they keyboard may not be touch-sensitive it does have the iconic trackpad. And I still assert that the ultimate mobile typing/editing experience I've ever had was on my Bold 9930.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-02-16 10:03 AM
    I'm really curious about the Priv now because I do like the touch-sensitivity of the Passport keyboard but find myself wishing my Q10 had it.

Haven't gotten used to the Priv pkb yet as it is a passport keyboard but squished...4 rows yes, but they're short keys like the Passport.

But the BlackBerry vkb on the Priv is so so good I never use the pkb on it...

Don't get the Priv for the physical keyboard man! Lol

#workwide #OG Black
    10-02-16 10:03 AM
    The Classic is also enticing because, while they keyboard may not be touch-sensitive it does have the iconic trackpad. And I still assert that the ultimate mobile typing/editing experience I've ever had was on my Bold 9930.

I feel the Classic typing experience to be the pinnacle of their engineering but many people do put the 9900 as number one.

The editing experience and even trackpad experience was better on os7 for sure though.

#workwide #OG Black
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    10-02-16 10:05 AM
    Z30's vs Priv's VKB. Which one is better?
    10-02-16 10:07 AM
    Z30's vs Priv's VKB. Which one is better?
    Priv and the gap will grow because the Priv's is constantly being updated.

#workwide #OG Black
    10-02-16 10:20 AM
    Make sure you get a case for it because one handed use by way of the dimensions, there's no way you are holding it like a rectangular phone.

The phone is prone to being dropped due to the way of holding it one handed. Meaning it isn't fully cradled but one half is hanging off your hand.

Only time this thing is fully cradled is when making a phone call...and that gets tiring as well.

#workwide #OG Black
    I have a Seidio Surface, got it right away. Depends on the individual, I find it easy to navigate one handed personally but YMMV of course. It's a different grip from a slab, for sure. I've played piano since I was five so maybe that helps as I don't have an issue using it that way for extended periods.
    10-02-16 10:43 AM
    Haven't gotten used to the Priv pkb yet as it is a passport keyboard but squished...4 rows yes, but they're short keys like the Passport.

But the BlackBerry vkb on the Priv is so so good I never use the pkb on it...

Don't get the Priv for the physical keyboard man! Lol

#workwide #OG Black
    My daily driver must have a physical keyboard. I've determined that is a must for my requirements.

But I do like having a larger screen sometimes, too.

Maybe a Q10 or Classic as my daily driver with a tablet to supplement is the configuration I'm looking for?

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-02-16 10:51 AM
    I feel the Classic typing experience to be the pinnacle of their engineering but many people do put the 9900 as number one.

The editing experience and even trackpad experience was better on os7 for sure though.

#workwide #OG Black
    Gah. You're really making me want to try a Classic now.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-02-16 10:52 AM
    Here's the thing, from my point of view, at least. There is a trade-off as with most choices in life. IMHO the Classic has the best pkb experience vs the Passport, but the Passport has a better screen and also a faster processor and overall speed. For me, this greatly outweighs the advantages that the Classic has for the keyboard. For you, maybe the keyboard is more important. I just find that the Classic is a little sluggish opening apps and especially in using some of the android apps that I use. (which are few, however).
    10-02-16 11:02 AM
    Get a Q10 if you want it to last and easier to fix in the long run. The typing experience is more or less the same, I think.
    10-02-16 11:07 AM
    Yeah I agree with the above poster. Perhaps a Q10 might be better for you?
    10-02-16 11:30 AM
    I'm really curious about the Classic now. That keyboard is a bit larger than the Q10 but not too large. It might hit a sweet spot for me.

The Classic keyboard is very much worth it. Might be hands down the best keyboard ever.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 11:32 AM
    no doubt a classic is good but I guess it really depends on what you are looking for personally... Try both a classic and q10, see which one you're more comfortable with and don't mind using everyday. I personally think that the q10 is a better choice but if you must have the classic for any reason then go for it and good luck with your purchase.
    10-02-16 11:54 AM
    Flicking on the Passport is a little better, but still doesn�t work the best for me. I'll keep at it.
    I've had some issues "flicking" with the SE; I had to teach myself to sweep from the very bottom of the kb, lifting my thumbs almost right away to avoid setting the cap lock or inserting an exclamation point. Also, I had to train myself to not look for suggestions to flick except for longish words -- anything else and you're wasting your time. I learned to thumb the @123 key and leave my thumb on the screen to get a single alt character -- lifting up after finding the character makes the alt characters disappear again.

Finally, keep in mind the phone will "learn" your style.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    JNorth22 likes this.
    10-02-16 12:16 PM
    I'm slowly getting better at using the keyboard but what's making me slow down is just thinking how to type off the next word. Also the way you hold the phone it's making my fingers tire out lol.

Kind of having second thoughts about this device I do have about 3 weeks to return to the shop, I'm just not that sure right now.
    Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 12:18 PM
    I had to teach myself to sweep from the very bottom of the kb, lifting my thumbs almost right away to avoid setting the cap lock or inserting an exclamation point.
    ^^^^^^^^this!
    10-02-16 01:34 PM
    I'm not reading all these posts, so im sure it's been said several times..but stick with it, I think it's the hardest move from the previous pkb. All the previous keyboards, to me, we're a like for like upgrade each time, where as the pp breaks the rules slightly.

The virtual keys are weird...and I still find them weird, but I only recently found that if you swipe down on the keyboard - the RH side (below the @123) or hold the down arrow on the screen down, it enables the the pkb to be used against the numbers and characters on the screen.

Lovely keyboard...try going back to the q or 9900 after using the pp for a few month...nightmare!!!

Posted via CB10 - 9900 -Playbook- Q10 - Passport SE (1) - Passport SE (2)
    10-02-16 02:27 PM
    I don't use predictive texts and no flicking for me. I type every single word out.

I do find it a bit slow when I need to type out a special character, numbers, etc. But once you get the hang of it, the VKB does do wonders in terms of what you commonly need. For instance, no longer do I need to alt a key to get a comma or hold down a key to get a number. A quick touch or two let's you get there.

It would be nice if the VKB also learn what you type most and allow it to be at the top; something like a quick shortcut.

It's nice generally...took me less than a week to get used to it coming from a Q10.

Can't go back to anything smaller now. I sure hope a Passport is in the works for next year.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    10-02-16 02:56 PM
123 1234 ...