I just got my new Passport SE a couple days ago - a major upgrade from my Q10...or so I thought.

I've owned BlackBerry phones with physical keyboards for years. I've used a Q10, Q5, Bold 9930, and Curve 8530 as my daily driver at one time or another. I've gotten very used to that 4-row layout and using the "shift", "alt", and "sym" keys.

I know I haven't given nearly enough time to build muscle memory with my Passport SE, but I just live-blogged on it during 6 hours of a conference today and while it got the job done I kept thinking I could type what I wanted so much faster and more efficiently on my Q10. Not only that, but the sheer weight of the SE and the width of its keyboard actually caused my hands some pain and fatigue.

Because my thumbs are long, hugging the sides of the SE with the palms of my hand to support it is impossible. My thumbs would not be able to reach the outermost keys on either side. So when I am holding the SE perpendicular or diagonal to the floor I have to prop it up with my left pinky to keep it from sliding out of my hands. This puts a lot of weight and strain on my pinky, but does allow me to more easily reach all the keys with my thumbs.

By contrast, on my Q10, I also support it with my left pinky, but because it is so much lighter and because the bottom is curved it puts much less strain on my pinky. Also, because the keyboard is narrower, my thumbs have much less distance to travel to reach all the keys.

I'm going to give my Passport SE at least a full week for me to build muscle memory and get used to doing punctuation and special characters differently, but I do have to say I don't like the Passport typing experience as much as I thought I would. I really hope I warm up to it because the SE is a fantastic device and that beautiful screen is amazing.

The fact that I preferred to type this post out on my Q10 should tell you a lot about where my comfort level is right now.

Any others have similar experiences with the Passport keyboard?

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-01-16 11:51 PM
    By far the Passport was the best typing experience I have had on any phone...and I've had a lot of different devices. However, it did take a couple weeks to get use to the device
    10-02-16 12:12 AM
    It: takes awhile to get the hang of it and you will be well advised to make use of the "flick". Just practice for a bit and you will be flicking with abandon!
    10-02-16 12:17 AM
    Hmm... I went from an OG Passport to a Q10 due to the same pain and fatigue I felt when typing (I type a LOT). The keyboard felt stiff, even after more than a year of a LOT of typing. The good thing about this was the fact that it was so sturdy it never developed DT. Lol.

But I couldn't use it for my work, so I sold it, bought a Z30, and then a Q10, just for missing the PKB and because I feel I could type more joyfully on it, despite being MUCH slower than when using the Z30.

Anyway, I still miss the obvious and fabulous screen estate of the Passport, and so thought I should get the SE--especially upon learning that the keyboard is MUCH softer there. I haven't tried it myself, mind you, so I am forever curious. If only I could get it in my hands so I could use it to type a page or two and see if I would develop the same carpal tunnel as I did with the OG. Deciding whether to switch to it or remain with the Z30/Q10 for good.

Sigh...
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 10-02-16 at 12:58 AM.
    10-02-16 12:25 AM
    I had one, sold it. Classic. The end.

Also couldn't get used to the keyboard.

Get the Blue Classic, your typing experience will be vastly improved. You'll never want another PKB phone again
    10-02-16 01:19 AM

Get the Blue Classic, your typing experience will be vastly improved. You'll never want another PKB phone again
    Unless it's a classic like keyboard which is also touch sensitive?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-02-16 01:21 AM
    Unless it's a classic like keyboard which is also touch sensitive?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Yumm....
    10-02-16 01:48 AM
    I can type much more comfortable with the wider Passport, like the Classic was "familiar" but long term too cramped. I now having the SE for a few days already feel at home learning the flick and touch input. But the beauty is in the hardware very premium device this Passport over the Classic, which I have in a storage container

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 02:10 AM
    I can type much more comfortable with the wider Passport, like the Classic was "familiar" but long term too cramped. I now having the SE for a few days already feel at home learning the flick and touch input. But the beauty is in the hardware very premium device this Passport over the Classic, which I have in a storage container

Posted via CB10
    The same here. Loved typing on a Classic and found it weird on a Passport. Now loving the Passport keyboard. Classic has got still a fantastic keyboard.It's all about personal preferences.
    10-02-16 04:08 AM
    I just got my new Passport SE a couple days ago - a major upgrade from my Q10...or so I thought....
    I guess you need to give it more time, the Passport is always going to be a very different experience from the 'classic' pkb's like the 9900 & Q10. Personally I must admit that the move from 4 to 3 rows of keys and lack of punctuation and number character keys has been one of things preventing me from moving to the Passport - even with the very attractive current sale prices.
    10-02-16 04:32 AM
    Just give it some more time. And, be flicking more than typing. Passport keyboard has a small learning curve, but once you get the hang of it with flicking, there's no other keyboard you would wanna go back.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    10-02-16 05:39 AM
    I loved the keyboard on the Q10 also. I have had my ATT passport for over a year. There is no typing experience like it! The virtual punctuation keys are more efficient than using traditional ALT keys. Try supporting using the next fingers up. It balances well using the index and middle finger for back support.

8830<9650<9810<Playbook64<Q10<Passport
    10-02-16 07:59 AM
    By far the Passport was the best typing experience I have had on any phone...and I've had a lot of different devices. However, it did take a couple weeks to get use to the device
    That seems to be what most Passport fans are saying: give it a few weeks and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Posted from my Passport SE via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    10-02-16 08:44 AM
    It: takes awhile to get the hang of it and you will be well advised to make use of the "flick". Just practice for a bit and you will be flicking with abandon!
    I never could get used to flicking on the Z10 or Z30 virtual keyboards. It actually slowed me down because I prefer to type out the complete word. It's the way my brain works.

Flicking on the Passport is a little better, but still doesn�t work the best for me. I'll keep at it.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-02-16 08:47 AM
    There is definitely a long learning curve. Mainly the way you hold it takes time to sort out. Once you do it's a fantastic device. I do agree that it does fatigue the hands and fingers more than other phones but the experience gets much better with time.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-02-16 08:47 AM
    Hmm... I went from an OG Passport to a Q10 due to the same pain and fatigue I felt when typing (I type a LOT). The keyboard felt stiff, even after more than a year of a LOT of typing. The good thing about this was the fact that it was so sturdy it never developed DT. Lol.

But I couldn't use it for my work, so I sold it, bought a Z30, and then a Q10, just for missing the PKB and because I feel I could type more joyfully on it, despite being MUCH slower than when using the Z30.

Anyway, I still miss the obvious and fabulous screen estate of the Passport, and so thought I should get the SE--especially upon learning that the keyboard is MUCH softer there. I haven't tried it myself, mind you, so I am forever curious. If only I could get it in my hands so I could use it to type a page or two and see if I would develop the same carpal tunnel as I did with the OG. Deciding whether to switch to it or remain with the Z30/Q10 for good.

Sigh...
    Well I've heard the keys on the SE are a bit easier to press than the OG, but I've only used the SE so I don�t have first-hand experience.

The tactile feedback is amazing, I must say. It's the three-row layout+virtual combo that is throwing my brain for a loop right now.

10-02-16 08:49 AM

I'm really curious about the Classic now. That keyboard is a bit larger than the Q10 but not too large. It might hit a sweet spot for me.

velkod likes this.
    10-02-16 08:52 AM
    The same here. Loved typing on a Classic and found it weird on a Passport. Now loving the Passport keyboard. Classic has got still a fantastic keyboard.It's all about personal preferences.
    Thanks! That gives me hope!

10-02-16 08:53 AM
    I guess you need to give it more time, the Passport is always going to be a very different experience from the 'classic' pkb's like the 9900 & Q10. Personally I must admit that the move from 4 to 3 rows of keys and lack of punctuation and number character keys has been one of things preventing me from moving to the Passport - even with the very attractive current sale prices.
    I'm going to soldier on and try to get the hang of the Passport SE keyboard before I make any final decisions, but if you are at home on the classic kb layout the PP keyboard will definitely throw you for a loop at first.

10-02-16 08:55 AM
    I never could get used to flicking on the Z10 or Z30 virtual keyboards. It actually slowed me down because I prefer to type out the complete word. It's the way my brain works.

Flicking on the Passport is a little better, but still doesn�t work the best for me. I'll keep at it.

Flick from the chin up, not on the letters. Works perfectly (for me anyway).

Got the Priv recently and find using the traditional keyboard awkward compared to the Passport. I think it just comes down to muscle memory.
    10-02-16 08:56 AM
    Just give it some more time. And, be flicking more than typing. Passport keyboard has a small learning curve, but once you get the hang of it with flicking, there's no other keyboard you would wanna go back.

Posted via CB10
    I'm trying to train myself to flick whenever possible. It�s slowing me down right now but I hope it will speed up as I go along.

10-02-16 08:58 AM
    There is definitely a long learning curve. Mainly the way you hold it takes time to sort out. Once you do it's a fantastic device. I do agree that it does fatigue the hands and fingers more than other phones but the experience gets much better with time.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    Yup. After a week or two I had it down to one handed use for everything but composing, obviously. Though with auto correct I could do terse replies one handed.
    10-02-16 08:58 AM
    I loved the keyboard on the Q10 also. I have had my ATT passport for over a year. There is no typing experience like it! The virtual punctuation keys are more efficient than using traditional ALT keys. Try supporting using the next fingers up. It balances well using the index and middle finger for back support.

8830<9650<9810<Playbook64<Q10<Passport
    I will try that, thanks!

10-02-16 09:00 AM
    If you compare the two methods then you're never going to find the Passport experience good.

Truth is, the Passport method of typing really is slower compared to the traditional qwerty. By that I mean the experience is disjointed rather than very smooth.

Once you accept that reality, you will love the Passport.

The touch sensitive keyboard combined with the vkb and pkb mix really takes getting used to, but by no means does it ever compare to the regular way of input and it wasn't meant to be better. Just different.

For emails and texting this thing is fine.

But if you plan on taking notes at a lecture, meeting, or you're doing a live blog, this thing isn't recommended for the same reason an iphone wouldn't be....unless you can do voice dictation.

Even the way you hold it has to be different, big or small hands, this isn't meant to be held like a normal phone.

The main advantage of the Passport is the screen dimension.

Ps. I typed this on my og passport which is even harder than the SE to type on. Enjoyed every word of it. But I sure as heck would not be using this for note taking. Ever.

#workwide #OG Black
    anon(6038817) and JNorth22 like this.
    10-02-16 09:16 AM
    Also note before anyone chimes in, it isn't about the speed. I'm sure some people are faster on the Passport because of the flicking.

But try transcribing an audio recording with it.

With the Passport, you have to constantly stop your thought process and search for the word to flick or look at the vkb for symbols and what not.

With the traditional pkb, the entire experience is mapped to muscle memory making the whole process continuous.

#workwide #OG Black
    anon(6038817) and JNorth22 like this.
    10-02-16 09:23 AM
123 123 ...