So this monday i got a passport, yes i know i am late but i got a great deal! I used a q5 in 2013 and missed BB OS so i decided to get a blackberry again. Now coming from an iphone 6s plus, i am really disappointed about the passoports "great" battery life. On the iphone i had 2 days of battery life with moderate use. If i use the same apps (or alternatives to them which do the same) on my passport i get about 1 day of battery life... when i am using it, no matter what i do, i see the battery life run away % by %! First i thought it may be caused due to a high cpu usage (on my q5 i had a broken cpu which caused the battery to empty in hours) but thats not it, cpu usage when in use is about 13% and when i dont use it at all its at 0-4%.

The apps i use are
    The stock browser
    Whatsapp
    VK (android app, russian social network)
    Telegram (android app)
    Instagram
    Simplenote (android app)

And i have 1 synced outlook account.

So can you tell me about your battery experiences? Is that normal what i am having here? Just from typing this post i lost 2%!

The "awesome" battery life?-img_20160511_123040.png

The "awesome" battery life?-img_20160511_123133.png

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 05:32 AM
    For sure Android apps chew up the battery as they weren't optimized for the Passport. As far as moderate to medium use, I go through a day with 50-20% juice remaining. I have a few Droid apps downloaded, however rarely use them.

Posted via my  PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 or  Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    05-11-16 05:52 AM
    Give it a couple more days to settle. I've had mine for 18 months and I get 2 days.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-11-16 05:53 AM
    I'm a new Passport enthusiast - have had mine less than a month - and I love it!!!! Re your battery: how strong is your mobile network signal? WiFi?
    Also, I read in the CB forums that there might be a conditioning period for the batter
    But this is what I know from experience: my PP works harder because I live in rural area and that provider's nearest tower is 5 miles away with hills and many trees between that tower and my home office. WiFi signal is very weak and I usually turn it off at home because that's a battery drain.
    I don't run apps in background either. I can usually go 2 days on a charge but prefer not to drain it down regularly because I know it has to work harder to pull in signal.
    The PP provider is GMS of course but what used to be my first primary phone is CDMA and that tower is 1/4 mile away - and the iPhone sucks for signal battery life call quality etc compared to the PP.
    Give it a chance. Monitor strength of WiFi and turn it off so your Passport isn't constantly looking for signal.
    Enjoy it...

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 05:58 AM
    OMG android apps - well, there you go - juice guzzlers!!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 06:00 AM
    Well about the android apps, its just sad that there are such essentials missing in the blackberry world (specially VK and telegram, which all eastern europe use, thats about 200000000 customers)! And i had the same android apps on my q5 which had great battery life by the way! I feel my passports battery is dropping like one of those china android phones i once had, 1 minute use = 1% battery is gone, thats exactly how my passpsort feels, even just sitting on the home screen or using stock apps! My wifi signal is good, the hotspot is in my office right besides my desk. When i go out i mostly have very good 4G reception... i guess all i can do is give it some time and see if it changes after a few days or weeks in use...

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 06:23 AM
    Yes give it time.
    But possibly it's the android apps - and I have no experience with them...
    One piece of advice that I found on the CB forums - don't do 100% charges.... allegedly staying under that prolongs the longevity of the battery. I think someone suggested charges to about 80% FWIW...
    Also you might give your PP a rest when you sleep by putting it on airplane mode or turning it off some nights...

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 07:50 AM
    I question why anyone must have 2 days of battery life. Are you using your phone when you are sleeping? What is so difficult about charging it then?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 08:29 AM
    You need to give it more time, like a week, the first days the phone is updating like crazy, it will also get hot. Tell us how things are going once everything's installed and updated, and the system has settled down.
    05-11-16 08:42 AM
    You need to give it more time, like a week, the first days the phone is updating like crazy, it will also get hot. Tell us how things are going once everything's installed and updated, and the system has settled down.
    as there is no cpu usage at all and the device does not get hot when i do nothing, i guessed the whole updating and "getting ready" process should be done?

I question why anyone must have 2 days of battery life. Are you using your phone when you are sleeping? What is so difficult about charging it then?

Posted via CB10
    the thing is i can barely go through 1 day, i dont say i need 2 days, i would be happy with 1 day moderate use but even that is almost impossible at the moment! i had 100% this morning, its 15:50 now and i am at 57%, didnt do much besides writing an email and some chatting on telegram and posting on CB
    05-11-16 08:52 AM
    [QUOTE=PhoenixRUS;12426735]as there is no cpu usage at all and the device does not get hot when i do nothing, i guessed the whole updating and "getting ready" process should be done?

Patience! This isn't a Blackberry thing, my Nexus 4 also took a little time to settle down; Android apps do seem to consume more energy on BB10, in fact after I installed Kindle my poor passport got really hot, I unencrypted and things went back to normal, I'm trying to understand how it all works so I can back to encrypting it.

None of this guarantees you'll get more out of the battery, but I'm getting a couple of days easy.
    05-11-16 09:24 AM
    [QUOTE=S1lv1o;12426789]
    as there is no cpu usage at all and the device does not get hot when i do nothing, i guessed the whole updating and "getting ready" process should be done?

Patience! This isn't a Blackberry thing, my Nexus 4 also took a little time to settle down; Android apps do seem to consume more energy on BB10, in fact after I installed Kindle my poor passport got really hot, I unencrypted and things went back to normal, I'm trying to understand how it all works so I can back to encrypting it.

None of this guarantees you'll get more out of the battery, but I'm getting a couple of days easy.
    i will give it a week and see if anything changes, i will report back then!
    05-11-16 09:37 AM
    There is something amiss with your phone. I drove 7 hours yesterday. I was on the phone for a full 4 hours. i used navigation in Houston for 45 minutes. I also read and answered emails and texts and still made it home with 38% left on the battery. It was off the charger from 6am until 1am.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 09:40 AM
    iPhone 6s Plus actually does well when it comes to electricity. iOS devices do consume little juice when idle. What I hate about iPhone isn't the battery but the fact that I probably don't get email or bbm when it is idle. That's the problem. Battery? iPhone 6/6s may well likely win or at least, even with Passport.

Posted via my beloved Passport solid black edition
    05-11-16 09:55 AM
    Seems like it is just settling. Which can be a pain, I waited and waited and kept doing the same thing. Let it settle for a little while and do a Hard Reboot (Pressing the volume keys at the same time.)

Did you tweak all the Display settings and Advance Integration?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 10:00 AM
    There is something amiss with your phone. I drove 7 hours yesterday. I was on the phone for a full 4 hours. i used navigation in Houston for 45 minutes. I also read and answered emails and texts and still made it home with 38% left on the battery. It was off the charger from 6am until 1am.

Posted via CB10
    Cool to know there is another fellow Houstonian using a passport!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 10:01 AM
    Seems like it is just settling. Which can be a pain, I waited and waited and kept doing the same thing. Let it settle for a little while and do a Hard Reboot (Pressing the volume keys at the same time.)

Did you tweak all the Display settings and Advance Integration?

Posted via CB10
    i didnt change any display settings other from the brightness which is pretty fr down. will try the hard reboot thing later...

just to add to the iphone thing, i just streamed a whole hockey game on my iphone 6s plus (over wifi), beginning of the game i had 11% battery left, after 2 hours i had 9% left, clearly dimensions better than the passport...
    05-11-16 10:07 AM
    Once again I am confident in Passport, mate.

Had to send my PP SE to repair shop. Used Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 for three weeks. It has 3000 mah, full hd. So it's comparable.

So, Xiaomi for me was like Z10. Had to use charger in my car etc. It would barely last one day.

With the same usage passport lasts more than one and a half day. Easily!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 11:54 AM
    Note to the OP: beside letting your device settle in, you should be aware that Android apps can sap your battery charge. I installed several Android apps right after getting my Passport, then I had to spend a couple of months afterwards taming their battery drain.

One piece of advice I can give you is, using the Battery Use tab in your Device Settings section, make a point to change your settings for each Android app listed to turn off the "run when minimized" setting. This made a big difference for me. This is assuming of course that there are no background operations that any of your apps require. Even after this, I still hunted down a couple of battery parasitic apps and deleted them altogether. I hope you enjoy your new Passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 01:50 PM
    Comparing to iphone6+ the passport is not that great actually. Pretty much comparable unless you are comparing to iPhone 6. For a moderate use. It should last for your full day, unless you are using gps. It can only last half day. Those people that can last up to 3 days, those are the people that are using Wifi most of the time, all the time perhaps. For mobile person like me. It should last a day, yours seems normal to me. If you felt that your battery drain too fast and your top right heated pretty bad. Do an os reload using link. This should solve the battery drain issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 02:08 PM
    I'm pretty new to the Passport party and like yourself I was a little disappointed with the battery performance because I also use an iPhone 6 Plus which has a great battery life and was expecting the Passport to be that much better. I'm glad to say that after a good week of solid use, the battery life seems to somehow have miraculously improved and is much better than the iPhone. I think I read somewhere that the keyboard uses up a lot of battery in first few days as it learns your 'style'. I use my phone non stop all day and have the hotspot active and even have the loudspeaker on for a while and I still have some juice come bedtime. Certainly more than what the iPhone 6 Plus would have.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 06:13 PM
    Comparing to iphone6+ the passport is not that great actually. Pretty much comparable unless you are comparing to iPhone 6. For a moderate use. It should last for your full day, unless you are using gps. It can only last half day. Those people that can last up to 3 days, those are the people that are using Wifi most of the time, all the time perhaps. For mobile person like me. It should last a day, yours seems normal to me. If you felt that your battery drain too fast and your top right heated pretty bad. Do an os reload using link. This should solve the battery drain issue.

Posted via CB10
    My top right gets warm a bit when i use the phone, specially android apps and heavy websites for a lonher time, but i guess that should be ok? Its not really hot, just a bit warmer than the rest of the phone. It only gets hot when i do demanding stuff on it while charging.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 06:18 PM
    Make sure you delete the kindle app from your passport. That thing is a power vampire. Also, check to see how often your email accounts update. If you have lots of accounts refreshing every 15, that will drain your battery big time. Staggering their refresh time in order of importance ensures you get your emails regularly without killing your battery, plus you can always manually update any account you are expecting communications from. And definitely disable the "run when minimized" permissions for anything that isn't critical.

Keep your brightness low when possible, and do give your phone a few days to settle. My battery life went to hell after the last update and I thought it might be the death of my phone, but a week later, I was back to three days with light use and two with moderate. I can be on my phone for eight hours doing research, managing my calendar, using Google maps with location services, and depressing myself with the news of the day and I'll still have at least 40-60% life depending on how often I have my screen at full brightness. Good luck!
    05-11-16 08:57 PM
    they are not optimized for android either. Ask any user about battery life.
    05-11-16 10:43 PM
    The iPhone has a great eco system, all native apps, a constantly updated OS, of course it's gonna perform better than the passport.
    In fact even android can out run the passport on the battery life issue.
    05-11-16 11:04 PM
128 123 ...