I didn't know that, too. Thank you guys I learned something new again haha

BlackBerry  Passport Silver Edition  CB App
    05-16-16 02:49 PM
    well i use my passport for the same things as i used my iphone 6s plus for, so you can't say its not comparable! and the iphone 6s held out 2 days without any problems even if i streamed hockey games on 4G, i cant even dream of doing that on the passport, battery would be from 100% to 0% after 1 period
    That's definitely not true.
    I have been livestreaming BBC World News for 3.75 hours on my Passport today.
    In fact I am doing it now as I type this text (great multitasking which the iphone cannot do). I have lots of battery left.
    If I did that on my macbook 12 inch with retina display it would be dead by now.
    I don't own an iphone, but certainly the Passport's battery (mine is 20 months old already!) lasts longer than that of the Macbook while streaming live TV. Here's my screen.
    Attachment 399921

You may be using some android app to livestream instead of the player in the native BB10 browser. The latter is much more energy efficient than an android app which may be doing other things than just stream...
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-16-16 at 06:11 PM.
    05-16-16 04:08 PM
    I use android apps, and am on my phone a lot. I basically get a day's use from the Passport SE. As much as I love this phone, I really don't think the BlackBerry user has a lot to brag about. Btw, my wife refuses to give up her galaxy S3 with aftermarket battery... it goes for days at a time.

BPWiebe on the beautiful Silver Edition Passport.
    05-16-16 04:46 PM
    I use android apps, and am on my phone a lot. I basically get a day's use from the Passport SE. As much as I love this phone, I really don't think the BlackBerry user has a lot to brag about. Btw, my wife refuses to give up her galaxy S3 with aftermarket battery... it goes for days at a time.

My ex had a galaxy s3 with original battery. Worst battery life ever. My z10 was a an endurance champ in comparison. The one great thing about removable batteries like the Z10 and s3, however, is that you could get large after market batteries with new back covers that last forever as you mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 05:39 PM

My son and my wife have had galaxy s4, s6 and note4.
    Their battery is abysmal compared to that of the Passport for comparable use.
    On several occasions, when out hiking in Japan, my son's note4 battery left him without any use of Google maps. If it hadn't been for my Passport, we wouldn't have been able to find our Ryokan in the mountains in the night in Japan...
    05-16-16 06:10 PM
    That's definitely not true.
    I have been livestreaming BBC World News for 3.75 hours on my Passport today.
    In fact I am doing it now as I type this text (great multitasking which the iphone cannot do). I have lots of battery left.
    If I did that on my macbook 12 inch with retina display it would be dead by now.
    I don't own an iphone, but certainly the Passport's battery (mine is 20 months old already!) lasts longer than that of the Macbook while streaming live TV. Here's my screen.

You may be using some android app to livestream instead of the player in the native BB10 browser. The latter is much more energy efficient than an android app which may be doing other things than just stream...
    Are you seriously comparing a mobile phone's battery life to a laptop's? You don't even own the phone and you're telling someone who used and owns both that he/she is wrong ?
    05-16-16 10:35 PM
    I have iphones in the family and I own the Macbook. I test them against each other all the time. I am an electronics engineer. That's what I do: measure and compare things against each other under identical conditions.

The Macbook 12 inch battery (July 2015, newer than iphone 6) dies faster streaming BBC World News in HD than my Passport (September 2014) does streaming the same channel in HD on the same wi-fi network.
    The only difference is that the Passport screen is 1440*1440 pixels while the MacBook's is 1440*2400 (or so...I don't have it handy now). But, in compensation, the MacBook 12 inch retina display has a larger battery than the Passport. Yet it dies after at most 6 hours of text editing and about 4 hours of video streaming...

All of this despite the fact that the Macbook 12 inch has a slower clock (1.5GHz) than the Passport processor (2.2GHz.) and despite the fact (or rather because) it uses the latest 14nm finFET technology and an Intel microprocessor.

I don't have an iphone6 (and I mentioned it), but I have tested the iphone5. Its battery drains faster than that of the z30 and Passport.

I understand that the iphone6 has better battery than the iphone5.
    I don't know if it is better than the Passport in terms of battery consumption for the same task.

My point was that it wasn't true that the Passport battery dies after streaming one period of a hockey game.
    In fact it can stream for at least 5 hours continuously in HD live from accross the ocean better than Apple's latest mobile laptop , as my screenshot illustrated.

The bb10 software is better integrated to save power with the Passport processor than Apple's Os-X software is with the MacBook Intel processor.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-17-16 at 12:11 AM.
    05-16-16 11:53 PM
    I have iphones in the family and I own the Macbook. I test them against each other all the time. I am an electronics engineer. That's what I do: measure and compare things against each other under identical conditions.

The Macbook 12 inch battery (July 2015, newer than iphone 6) dies faster streaming BBC World News in HD than my Passport (September 2014) does streaming the same channel in HD on the same wi-fi network.
    The only difference is that the Passport screen is 1440*1440 pixels while the MacBook's is 1440*2400 (or so...I don't have it handy now). But, in compensation, the MacBook 12 inch retina display has a larger battery than the Passport. Yet it dies after at most 6 hours of text editing and about 4 hours of video streaming...

All of this despite the fact that the Macbook 12 inch has a slower clock (1.5GHz) than the Passport processor (2.2GHz.) and despite the fact (or rather because) it uses the latest 14nm finFET technology and an Intel microprocessor.

I don't have an iphone6 (and I mentioned it), but I have tested the iphone5. Its battery drains faster than that of the z30 and Passport.

I understand that the iphone6 has better battery than the iphone5.
    I don't know if it is better than the Passport in terms of battery consumption for the same task.

My point was that it wasn't true that the Passport battery dies after streaming one period of a hockey game.
    In fact it can stream for at least 5 hours continuously in HD live from accross the ocean better than Apple's latest mobile laptop , as my screenshot illustrated.

The bb10 software is better integrated to save power with the Passport processor than Apple's Os-X software is with the MacBook Intel processor.
    If you are a expert at electronics then you must know that a laptop contains way more components than a phone(also different structure), the hard-drive needs juice, cooling needs juice. And it's also more capable than a mobile, so the two are definitely not comparable.

The iPhone 5 is a phone launched in 2012, it's even older then the Q10 / Z10. of course it's gonna perform bad, it's 4 years old.

And also, she said to use 4G network, and from what I experienced, that really kills the battery.
    My experience: The iPhone 6 battery life can KILL the passport.
    05-17-16 05:06 AM
    You should read up on the MacBook 12 inch. It has no hard drive. It's meant to be mobile. A cross between tablet and laptop.
    I already addressed the differences in hardware between the passport and the macBook 12 inch and how they affect battery.

Live streaming a live show is the most processor and hardware intensive operation on a laptop, tablet and smartphone today. That's how I have been testing tablets, laptops and smartphones since I got my playbook in 2012.

The laptop does not use other than the wi-fi transceiver, display and processor while live streaming, just like a tablet and smartphone.
    So my comparison is fair.

I use my Passport on LTE and 4G. No problem live streaming for hours.
    05-17-16 09:05 PM
    You should read up on the MacBook 12 inch. It has no hard drive. It's meant to be mobile. A cross between tablet and laptop.
    I already addressed the differences in hardware between the passport and the macBook 12 inch and how they affect battery.

Live streaming a live show is the most processor and hardware intensive operation on a laptop, tablet and smartphone today. That's how I have been testing tablets, laptops and smartphones since I got my playbook in 2012.

The laptop does not use other than the wi-fi transceiver, display and processor while live streaming, just like a tablet and smartphone.
    So my comparison is fair.

I use my Passport on LTE and 4G. No problem live streaming for hours.
    Processor : different structure, not comparable, laptops also need cooling.
    Display: 2304-by-1440 to square 1440 , due to the ratio of the screen, videos will be shrinked. that saves juice. And we all know, watching videos on the passport is a terrible experience.
    Other things you've left out:
    the laptop's gpu is a intel 5300. this is a very capable chip, and I'm sure it needs juice when decoding videos.
    The last time I checked, Yosemite takes up at least around 10 gigs of storage, BlackBerry 10 2-3 gigs tops. Comparable? I think not.
    Your laptop has at least 200 gigs storage, passport 32 gigs, that saves juice.

Even if they are comparable, I'd trade 8 hours of video on a square 4.5 inch for 4 hours on a 12 inch wide screen anytime.
    05-17-16 10:22 PM
    Processor : different structure, not comparable, laptops also need cooling.
    Display: 2304-by-1440 to square 1440 , due to the ratio of the screen, videos will be shrinked. that saves juice. And we all know, watching videos on the passport is a terrible experience.
    Other things you've left out:
    the laptop's gpu is a intel 5300. this is a very capable chip, and I'm sure it needs juice when decoding videos.
    The last time I checked, Yosemite takes up at least around 10 gigs of storage, BlackBerry 10 2-3 gigs tops. Comparable? I think not.
    Your laptop has at least 200 gigs storage, passport 32 gigs, that saves juice.

Even if they are comparable, I'd trade 8 hours of video on a square 4.5 inch for 4 hours on a 12 inch wide screen anytime.
    The Macbook 12 inch does not need cooling. It has no fan, like a tablet and cellphone. That's why it gets much hotter than the Passport while streaming.

I connect my Passport via HDMI cable to a big screen monitor if I am at home, in the office or in a hotel room.

I usually have two screens going all the time and a third with circuits for design.
    I already discussed the display and the much bigger battery (in compensation) of the laptop.
    Yes, the laptop has more storage and a bigger display.
    But my Passport has 160Gbytes of RAM and SDcard memory.
    Still lasts > 5 hours video streaming live HD TV.

That's what the discussion is about: refuting someone who claimed that the Passport would not last through a hockey period of livestreaming.

The other point is that the Apple software is not that great at integrating with someone else's (Intel) processor and saving power.
    Bb10 appears to be better at integration with Qualcomm's processors and saving power, at least on Z30 and Passport when compared to the macBook 12 inch which is a newer device than both z30 and the Passport.

The situation may be different on the iphone6s, but that' not my point.
    05-17-16 10:48 PM
    ...Use dark themes in apps that have that option...
    Passport uses an LCD display not an AMOLED display. Light or dark themes do no affect battery life.
    05-21-16 11:15 AM
    The claims on the Passports battery life have always been a little ridiculous. Its a decent battery but not some world beating battery that people like to make it out to be. The only reason the battery life is decent is because it has a massive battery in it, which should honestly last much longer than it does. In my experience if you don't mess with the phone much and stick to browsing, messaging, etc. the battery will last a work day. If you make a lot of calls on it its barely passable to get through the day. Blackberry did a poor job of optimizing BB10. There is always a tradeoff with these devices to get good battery life. Z30 - garbage dim screen, Q10 - tiny screen, Z10 - just garbage battery all the way around, Passport - car battery attached and needs it or it wouldn't last 4 hours. I'm not saying that phones shouldn't have large batteries in them, but they should also have an OS that is optimized around the battery, which BB hasn't really done that great a job with.

While I think the battery on the Passport is pretty good, its by no means impressive because of its size.
    Polt likes this.
    05-21-16 11:36 AM
    QNX's power management from its documentation is far better than Unix/Linux. It's implementation however is anyone's guess.

If anyone is even technically knowledgeable, s/he would know that it takes time to build an optimised system. BB10's level of maturity isn't comparable, but definitely way ahead as a 'newcomer'.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-21-16 11:49 AM
    The claims on the Passports battery life have always been a little ridiculous. Its a decent battery but not some world beating battery that people like to make it out to be. The only reason the battery life is decent is because it has a massive battery in it, which should honestly last much longer than it does. In my experience if you don't mess with the phone much and stick to browsing, messaging, etc. the battery will last a work day.
    Just curious: Do you also have a lot of apps installed on your Passport? I've been reading through the posts and comparing my Passport SE's setup to see if there are any other tips I can get to make my battery last longer. Still, with the way I use it right now, I can't complain much about the battery. (But hey, if there's a way to get it to last for 4 days, that would be great...I'm thinking that's a pipe-dream, though. Haha.)

Right now, I have a few apps installed, but I don't use them every day. From my personal experience, my phone lasts about a little over 2 days without recharging in between. (I'm usually left with anywhere between 49% - 57% battery juice by 11:00 p.m on the 2nd day.) Mind you, I'd say that I'm using my phone lightly (e.g., checking e-mails, working with text messages, viewing stock market on browser occasionally, a few phone calls). So, maybe if I used it a lot more, I'm thinking you might be right -- the phone could go 1 day and would then need to refuel.
    05-21-16 11:56 AM
    Passport uses an LCD display not an AMOLED display. Light or dark themes do no affect battery life.
    Yes. It only makes a difference on z30.
    05-21-16 12:48 PM
    QNX's power management from its documentation is far better than Unix/Linux. It's implementation however is anyone's guess.

If anyone is even technically knowledgeable, s/he would know that it takes time to build an optimised system. BB10's level of maturity isn't comparable, but definitely way ahead as a 'newcomer'.

Yes. In addition, it depends how well the software designer understands the operation and all the features of the integrated circuits that are being controlled, especially the power amplifiers in the cellular transceiver and in the wi-fi transceiver.

Power consumption optimization requires a very intimate interdisciplinary knowledge and understanding of both the software and the hardware in the phone. This is why Apple and BlackBerry on BB10 excelled , and this is why Apple should be able to be better than all because they design their own ICs (unlike BlackBerry) as well as the OS software (unlike Samsung).
    But so far, poor programming from Apple has prevented them to be ahead of bb10 devices at the time of their release.
    This have have been fixed with the Iphone6S, but that is a newer device than the Passport.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-21-16 at 02:43 PM.
    05-21-16 12:54 PM
    That's what the discussion is about: refuting someone who claimed that the Passport would not last through a hockey period of livestreaming.
    Just for giggles I thought I would try this out last night so I watched (well I had it on, anyway) all 3 periods of Tampa Bay vs Pittsburgh. I did shut the streaming down during the period intermissions. I don't like watching video on my Passport so I will either use DLNA or attach it via HDMI to a larger screen but at the end of the game I still had 32% battery on my phone. That is 3 full periods NOT one. I did start at 100%.

edit: The live streaming app I used was of course an android app called Shaw Freerange TV.
    05-21-16 12:58 PM
    Yes. In addition, it depends how well the software designer understands the operaționale all the features of the integrated circuits that are being controlled, especially the power amplifiers in the cellular transceiver and in the wi-fi transceiver.

Power consumption optimization requires a very intimate interdisciplinary knowledge and understanding of both the software and the hardware in the phone. This is why Apple and BlackBerry on BB10 excelled , and this is why Apple should be able to be better than all because they design their own ICS (unlike BlackBerry) as well as the OS software (unlike Samsung).
    But so far, poor programming from Apple has prevented them to be ahead of bb10 devices at the time of their release.
    This have have been fixed with the Iphone6S, but that is a newer device than the Passport.
    Yeah it probably depends also on the size of battery in the phone. The 6S Plus can easily outlast the Passport with a much smaller battery. Comparing any earlier iPhone to the Passport is ridiculous. A better comparison is comparing earlier iPhones to the Z10, of which they are better than the Z10 easily with a smaller battery.
    05-21-16 01:15 PM
    Just for giggles I thought I would try this out last night so I watched (well I had it on, anyway) all 3 periods of Tampa Bay vs Pittsburgh. I did shut the streaming down during the period intermissions. I don't like watching video on my Passport so I will either use DLNA or attach it via HDMI to a larger screen but at the end of the game I still had 32% battery on my phone. That is 3 full periods NOT one. I did start at 100%.

edit: The live streaming app I used was of course an android app called Shaw Freerange TV.
    If you would have used the BlackBerry browser (or Zeus if flash needed), it would have lasted even longer.
    05-21-16 02:41 PM
    Yeah it probably depends also on the size of battery in the phone. The 6S Plus can easily outlast the Passport with a much smaller battery. Comparing any earlier iPhone to the Passport is ridiculous. A better comparison is comparing earlier iPhones to the Z10, of which they are better than the Z10 easily with a smaller battery.
    Not sure if it's really better, because BB10 has more to offer out of the box than iOS, e.g. the Hub, which takes up resources continuously.

If it's completely not configured system, then I'd be surprised. For starters, BB10 doesn't run processes in the background that tracks you or enables services that communicates with the server, like iPhone.

05-21-16 02:45 PM
    Not sure if it's really better, because BB10 has more to offer out of the box than iOS, e.g. the Hub, which takes up resources continuously.

If it's completely not configured system, then I'd be surprised. For starters, BB10 doesn't run processes in the background that tracks you or enables services that communicates with the server, like iPhone.

Lol right.
    05-21-16 02:46 PM
    Lol right.
    Right http://www.igeeksblog.com/location-s...s-on-in-ios-8/

05-21-16 02:56 PM
    Uh you are quoting an article that show you how to turn off location services? What's your point? BB10 has the same thing. Do you think maps works magically or your browser having your location is done by elves on BB10? You can turn them off on either, so I have no idea what you are trying to say.
    05-21-16 02:59 PM
    Uh you are quoting an article that show you how to turn off location services? What's your point? BB10 has the same thing. Do you think maps works magically or your browser having your location is done by elves on BB10? You can turn them off on either, so I have no idea what you are trying to say.
    So you didn't read the article nor the comments.

Great.

05-21-16 03:07 PM
128 ... 23456