I switch from BlackBerry 9780 to Passport and love it! One function missing from OS10 is the auto on and off the phone with timer. I can easily set it up with old system. Is there any solution? Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 07:25 PM
    Nope. Not even a function of BB10.
    09-03-15 07:27 PM
    But that was a great feature of BBOS.

BPWiebe on the beautiful Silver Edition Passport.
    09-03-15 10:08 PM
    Yes, agree totally. Not sure how difficulty for BlackBerry add on this function to OS10?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 11:33 PM
    I switch from BlackBerry 9780 to Passport and love it! One function missing from OS10 is the auto on and off the phone with timer. I can easily set it up with old system. Is there any solution? Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Use bedside mode (settings to turn other things off), it's just as good, there's no need to have the phone turn off these days, in fact it's probably more of a power draw to perform the function, as it's on, it's likely performing at without large peaks in processing power, as it sits at rest.

The off function was to save power without remembering to turn off your phone, imo, and to conserve battery. Think about going to work on a construction site, long hours, you might take naps quickly, you want your phone at peak capacity. Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 11:36 PM
    Agreed. It seems that modern phone are simply designed to be always on. I was a bit churlish about the Q10 not having this function when I first got it (as my first BB10 device), but now I cannot imagine why I would want my phone off at night instead of idle. Especially the Passport, which will go through the night with maybe 5% battery drain at most if not plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 11:54 PM
    Oh boy i loved that feature.
    And especially the fact that you could just set the date and hours once and you no longer had to think about it

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 03:20 AM
    Yet another classic BlackBerry feature that got dumped.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 05:51 AM
    Yet another classic BlackBerry feature that got dumped.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe because it was never really off, you just thought it was off. Now they don't hide the fact that it's off; off actually means off and not hibernate.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 01:26 PM
    Maybe because it was never really off, you just thought it was off. Now they don't hide the fact that it's off; off actually means off and not hibernate.

Posted via CB10
    I know it was not off, it booted up way to fast but still it was a great feature

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 01:32 PM
    I know it was not off, it booted up way to fast but still it was a great feature

Posted via CB10
    It was more like a placebo effect. You can archive nearly the same functionality using bedside mode.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 01:36 PM
    It was more like a placebo effect. You can archive nearly the same functionality using bedside mode.

Posted via CB10
    But then again, you cannot set bedside mode to start automattic.
    With auto on of You could

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 01:38 PM
    But then again, you cannot set bedside mode to start automattic.
    With auto on of You could

Posted via CB10
    True but then again why? I can't imagine the reason you'd want it off at the same time any day
    09-04-15 04:20 PM
    True but then again why? I can't imagine the reason you'd want it off at the same time any day
    Because some people are creatures of habit, and habits die hard.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 07:32 PM
    I believe who really used that auto on/off function with 'old' blackberry OS, like me, will understand what is missing and how convenient that function was! Set it up properly, leave it to work correctly, no need to bother and it just WORKED. This is the 'spirit' of BlackBerry we need!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 11:08 PM
    The old BlackBerries were flawed, but along with their unique features, were what made them special..... Release a new Bold with a hexacore, 5000mah, remove touch screen, and load in a new OS8. I might be the only one buying, but damn I'll be one happy customer, LOL!

> Passport/Classic user, but still reminisces the good old 9900 days...
    09-04-15 11:53 PM
    Whenever this topic is raised, there are always response like why it is needed now, why not using bed side mode, and the same endless arguments.
    Auto on-off is not just about saving battery, and for those of us who want that feature, we simply want it and has an useful use of it to make it more convenience for us.
    Like some people I know are having one or two quiet hours a day, not responding to any call at all, so to concentrate on their thoughts or the task on site without disturbance.

Posted from my Passport
    09-05-15 12:18 AM
    Whenever this topic is raised, there are always response like why it is needed now, why not using bed side mode, and the same endless arguments.
    Auto on-off is not just about saving battery, and for those of us who want that feature, we simply want it and has an useful use of it to make it more convenience for us.
    Like some people I know are having one or two quiet hours a day, not responding to any call at all, so to concentrate on their thoughts or the task on site without disturbance.

Posted from my Passport
    Well, for the four or five people left in the world who can't silence there notification via a custom profile or meeting mode or bedside mode and simply MUST have the phone all the way off, the Passport does include a power button.

And please, please don't tell me pressing a button is just too hard. OMG this must be America.

Posted via CB10
    whoopsydaisyjane likes this.
    09-05-15 12:15 PM
    I'd love to have auto on and off on the bedside mode, just so I could turn off phone calls while I'm sleeping except for an hour before my wake up time.. I'm always receiving calls 6rom companies during the night but I get important calls in the morning...

Posted from my Canadian PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-05-15 12:34 PM
    I used to use the auto on/off feature too back in the day.

I have configured the Bedside mode to have the radios turned off to save power. And I use the Bedside mode when I'm down in the subway, or in the gym or whenever I'm not going to be using the phone for an extended period of time. And since these events are variable, I just engage the Bedside mode when I need it rather than having it pre-set for a particular time. The pre-set feature wouldn't be of much use to me nowadays I don't think.

I never use Bedside mode next to the bed however. I just charge the phone overnight in silent mode.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 08:31 AM