So I went to the att store and asked about purchasing a pp unlocked and I was told that I cannot purchase the device unlocked in store or online! He told me to try a bestbuy.( I'm in New York) so I was wondering has anyone purchased an unlocked pp from att?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 11:05 AM
    I was told that I need to have the phone active for about 3 months and then AT&T would provide a code to unlock it. I have had a contract them with them for years, but they said I need to use it at least for the 3 months either on my line or a prepaid number.
    09-30-15 11:28 AM
    They were right. You cannot purchase the phone unlocked from AT&T. You can, however, purchase the phone locked and then get it unlocked. If you buy the phone at retail price (i.e. it's paid off,) AT&T will unlock the phone for you for free, you just have to submit a request at att.com/deviceunlock

I don't know about Best Buy, but I know you can buy just the phone (no service plan) at Amazon, and AT&T online. If you are an existing AT&T customer, I would recommend buying as a non-customer, i.e. not tying the purchase to your AT&T account whatsoever. This way, you can get your phone unlocked for free within 2-3 business days.
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    09-30-15 11:31 AM
    Thanks I I will try amazon!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 12:12 PM
    I purchased an Original Passport from Shopblackberry.com. All BlackBerry phones purchased from this site come unlocked and are priced lower than what AT&T sells their version. I personally like the shape of the original better than the AT&T version. I also like the SE better.

Now if you prefer the AT&T shaped Passport, then you will have to do what has been suggested. Buy from AT&T and then a few days later go back in and ask them to unlock it or buy unlocked from online stores. The problem with Amazon and Ebay is you pay a premium for an unlocked phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 03:53 PM
    Dave, Amazon is currently out (as in, they're out of AT&T Passports sold and shipped by Amazon.) So I recommend you either wait to see if they re-stock, or buy from AT&T. I don't recall AT&T's no-contract price being any higher than Amazon's, for this phone.

If you buy from any other sellers (like one of the third parties on Amazon,) you'll likely get no warranty on the phone and the phone's origins may be...uh...questionable too.
    09-30-15 04:07 PM
    I'll wait I was checking online but I didn't find any! The ones I did find were used and I'm not feeling that route. I'm kind of a BlackBerry crackhead I have the white black and SE a leap and a classic I just want them all. I was actually thinking of getting a p9983 just cause I miss the size of the q10 (I have one tried to do an at home update and screwed it up) but that's a whole different tread.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 05:07 PM
    !
    Now if you prefer the AT&T shaped Passport, then you will have to do what has been suggested. Buy from AT&T and then a few days later go back in and ask them to unlock it or buy unlocked from online stores. The problem with Amazon and Ebay is you pay a premium for an unlocked phone.
    I saw that shopblackberry.com has the SE in stock? Isn't this the same exact style as the AT&T? Even though it's missing the AT&T logo?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 05:27 PM
    Basically yes except the top two corners are square. The camera has a little update and the keyboard is a little squishyer. Ofcourse att has wireless charging. It's in mint condition and I am keeping it for the foreseeable future. SE is wanted but no Wireless.

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    09-30-15 05:41 PM
    I'll wait I was checking online but I didn't find any! The ones I did find were used and I'm not feeling that route. I'm kind of a BlackBerry crackhead I have the white black and SE a leap and a classic I just want them all. I was actually thinking of getting a p9983 just cause I miss the size of the q10 (I have one tried to do an at home update and screwed it up) but that's a whole different tread.
    This is AT&T selling it: BlackBerry Passport -- AT&T

The 'no-contract' purchase option would be the way to go if you are not an AT&T customer and/or want the phone unlockable ASAP. It looks like the price has come down; I actually remember this phone being sold for $650 by AT&T.
    09-30-15 05:48 PM