03-11-20 03:12 PM
    No BlackBerries listed... but that doesn't mean that they won't work.

My guess is there is some limiting factor to BB10's early LTE radio that makes in incompatible with Verizon and now AT&T VoIP over LTE solution. That the folks making the list just didn't think anyone was still using a BlackBerry.... so it wasn't worth check to see if it would work. (or there were too few devices active at the time they checked)

But by 2022... I'd hope folks would have upgraded anyway.
    Laura Knotek and ppeters914 like this.
    03-11-20 03:21 PM
    No BlackBerries listed... but that doesn't mean that they won't work.

My guess is there is some limiting factor to BB10's early LTE radio that makes in incompatible with Verizon and now AT&T VoIP over LTE solution. That the folks making the list just didn't think anyone was still using a BlackBerry.... so it wasn't worth check to see if it would work. (or there were too few devices active at the time they checked)

But by 2022... I'd hope folks would have upgraded anyway.
    The AT&T Z10 and Q10 had limited LTE band support - like 4 or 5 in all. The Classic has 8, and the Passport has 9. I remember that we thought VoLTE would work once one of the 10.2.1 OS updates added IMS in Settings.

Maybe AT&T decided to use different bands for VoLTE than originally planned? I know they've added bands 29, 30 and 66, neither are supported by any BB10 phone. The Priv has 29 and 30. The KeyOne has those and many more after 30. But not 66.
    03-11-20 04:30 PM
    I've been saying for years that this was inevitable. Technology continues to move forward, and infrastructure changes, while planned years in advance, continue to happen. BB10 phones were designed in 2012-2014, which means even the newest models are now 6+ years old design-wise, and band allocation plans have been adjusted several times since then. This is also why I've advised people that stocking up on BB10 phones isn't a solution - carrier changes will obsolete them even if they are still NiB.

None of this is specific to BB phones - it affects ALL phones from ALL manufacturers - it's just that not many people are still clinging to 6+ year old devices, much less hoping to use them in 2022.
    03-11-20 07:23 PM
    it's just that not many people are still clinging to 6+ year old devices, much less hoping to use them in 2022.
    Well of course slabbers aren't gonna be stocking up on Galaxy S4/S5 type phones when newer and better all glass options are available everywhere.

People here still use BB10 devices either because they love the OS, or the hardware that it runs on (or both).

To date, there are no phones quite like the Classic or Passport.

But who really wants to rock a 2013 era slab? It offers almost zero advantages over a modern one.
    saint300 likes this.
    03-12-20 09:39 AM
    Well of course slabbers aren't gonna be stocking up on Galaxy S4/S5 type phones when newer and better all glass options are available everywhere.

People here still use BB10 devices either because they love the OS, or the hardware that it runs on (or both).

But who really wants to rock a 2013 era slab? It offers almost zero advantages over a modern one.
    Unless it's running BB10, which is still best-in-class for the VKB, Hub and MS Exchange integration.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    03-12-20 10:00 AM

That's the point: the carriers don't care that they're "breaking" the network for the handful of people who would prefer to continue using 6+ year old devices - they're moving forward for the hundreds of millions who want the new technologies and who will happily buy a new phone to get them. And if you were the CEO of a carrier, you'd make exactly the same decision - and if you didn't, you'd be replaced with someone else who would.
    03-12-20 11:24 AM
    Not arguing this at all.

My point was that slabs are for the most part forgettable and don't hold value as time goes on, they're quickly replaced by the next one.
    03-12-20 11:28 AM
    That's the point: the carriers don't care that they're "breaking" the network for the handful of people who would prefer to continue using 6+ year old devices - they're moving forward for the hundreds of millions who want the new technologies and who will happily buy a new phone to get them. And if you were the CEO of a carrier, you'd make exactly the same decision - and if you didn't, you'd be replaced with someone else who would.
    OR: they're moving forward AND hundreds of millions will (happily?) buy a new phone to BE ABLE TO USE CERTAIN SERVICES THAT THEY NEED.
    03-12-20 12:31 PM
    Not arguing this at all.

My point was that slabs are for the most part forgettable and don't hold value as time goes on, they're quickly replaced by the next one.

Smartphones are no longer a status or fashion symbol for the vast majority of consumers anymore than a coffee mug.

The only reason PKB hardware does hold some value is the scarcity factor. If there was any reasonable adoption of PKB hardware in the consumer space, the OEMs would support the same environment in the VKB space that causes Android hardware in general to have little value after initial offering. The OEMs don’t want a resale value so people will just choose a new device. A strong resale aftermarket is what OEMs don’t want.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-12-20 01:10 PM
    Smartphones are no longer a status or fashion symbol for the vast majority of consumers anymore than a coffee mug.

The only reason PKB hardware does hold some value is the scarcity factor. If there was any reasonable adoption of PKB hardware in the consumer space, the OEMs would support the same environment in the VKB space that causes Android hardware in general to have little value after initial offering. The OEMs don’t want a resale value so people will just choose a new device. A strong resale aftermarket is what OEMs don’t want.
    Yeah if PKB were valuable in the eyes of enough users.... there would be more PKB phones.
    03-12-20 01:31 PM
    Yeah if PKB were valuable in the eyes of enough users.... there would be more PKB phones.
    We don't need most consumers to want one, as that's not gonna happen.

We just need enough of them, and the offering needs to not be named a "BlackBerry" .
    03-12-20 01:34 PM
    We don't need most consumers to want one, as that's not gonna happen.

We just need enough of them, and the offering needs to not be named a "BlackBerry" .
    Every single thing that has happened with pkb devices in the last 8 years prove there is no viable interest.

We've had 3 platforms, 2 companies, and 3 kickstarters.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-12-20 02:18 PM
    What it means to you
    Talk and data services won’t work for older wireless phones and devices that don’t support at least 4G LTE and HD Voice. If we sent you a text message, it will tell you the lines on your account with phones that aren’t supported.

They sent me a text to my SE. I always thought it supported HD voice. Still dont see why they sent this text with this threat. They throttled my data bad on my Blackberrys even though I was paying top dollar for the best they had. They deserve every lawsuit they have gotten and MORE! !
    03-12-20 09:07 PM
    Don't worry about it Zeratul; all BB10 phones, including Passports, use 4G LTE. The exact same people on this thread claiming AT&T BB10 phones won't work said the same about Verizon phones last year....and as some of the rest of us predicted, Verizon BB10 phones are working perfectly on 4G LTE networks.
    WES51 likes this.
    03-12-20 10:26 PM
    Don't worry about it Zeratul; all BB10 phones, including Passports, use 4G LTE. The exact same people on this thread claiming AT&T BB10 phones won't work said the same about Verizon phones last year....and as some of the rest of us predicted, Verizon BB10 phones are working perfectly on 4G LTE networks.
    AT&T states the phone must have 4G LTE AND HD Voice. It's the AND in their statement that may be at issue. Both my wife's Leap and my Classic support 4G LTE, bit I'm not sure they support HD Voice.

Is there any way to confirm if th BB10 phones will meet the AND condition?

My gut check is AT&T took the easy route and selectively listed the phones. I would have expected the list to have been longer than what they published.

Either way, I have another couple of years, and who knows, a new partner may come along to release a flagship BlackBerry PKB device.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-20 11:17 PM
    You always give me hope!

Also I assume AT&T isn't going to flip a switch. The change will happen gradual and some of us in some regions should have started having issues by now.
    03-13-20 12:30 AM
    By the way Home Alarm Monitoring companies are going to be in deep in trouble. Most home alarm panels that are currently in service are 3g. I heard there will be more upgrade work need than alarm companies can provide in several years. This may mean for many customers that they will end up with no alarm monitoring at all.
    03-13-20 12:35 AM
    By the way Home Alarm Monitoring companies are going to be in deep in trouble. Most home alarm panels that are currently in service are 3g. I heard there will be more upgrade work need than alarm companies can provide in several years. This may mean for many customers that they will end up with no alarm monitoring at all.
    The vast majority of home alarm systems (still!) use a hardwired phone connection. And the issues with 3G going away are well-known in the industry and have been for some time. Many cellular alarm (and other industrial IoT) devices were 2G only a few years ago, and those all had to be swapped out, but that's a 20 minute job for an alarm company, so it's not nearly as big a deal as people are making it out to be. Again, the majority of traditional alarms use a hardwired phone connection, with cellular being a fairly expensive upgrade option that most people don't go for, so the number of people using it is a small percentage of the total userbase of traditional alarms.
    pdr733 likes this.
    03-13-20 03:13 AM
    This has been a long time coming..... Verizon announced their plans back in 2016.

Security Companies, and a lot of IoT.... Traffic Lights, Water Pumping Stations, Liftstations.... Many of the "smarter" ones took the opportunity when 2G was being phased out a few years ago, to upgrade to LTE at that point. Others have been working for last four years to upgrade their equipment. Shouldn't have been anything sold in the last five or six years that wasn't LTE capable.

And with Alarm Companies that charge $25+ a month for monitoring... I'm not going to feel bad if they have to replace some five year old panels. Or if they were shortsighted to install anything in the last five years with only 3G....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-13-20 08:58 AM
    VZW has made termination statement dates in the past. For now, according to many forum members posting here, VZW CDMA BB10 devices are no longer being activated but there’s some disagreement on new lines, existing lines etc

As far as similar type announcements from AT&T, support for BlackBerry hardware especially BB10 won’t be clear and refarmed bands will cause exceptions. The AT&T network of AT&T Wireless of non-primary telco and primary telco, Cingular plus generational antitrust divestitures, means that location will impact certain BB10 hardware more than others. Carrier locked versus Factory unlocked also will be a problem. My factory unlocked Z30 -5 is almost certain to be a casualty since it lacks correct LTE bands in many parts of the country.

Even the factory unlocked KEYone and Key2 are guaranteed support. Heck, my AT&T KEYone wouldn’t surprise me, losing support.
    03-13-20 09:49 AM
    According to what I read, about 10 million 3g alarm customers will be affected. Not a small number. In our case, our alarm panel is NOT upgradable. In many cases a new alarm panel means the need for new wireless sensors as well. I did my research and luckily found a newer alarm panel that will work with our sensors.
    03-13-20 10:21 AM
    You always give me hope!

Also I assume AT&T isn't going to flip a switch. The change will happen gradual and some of us in some regions should have started having issues by now.
    I do try to be a beacon of light in the darkness that is BB10 discussion on Crackberry.
    WES51 likes this.
    03-13-20 10:28 AM
    I don't understand this thread.

Doesn't this just concern the AT&T Passport with the rounded corners?

By the time 2022 comes, assuming BB10 and the Passport's hardware still chugs along, one can always just go for an OG/Silver/White/Red one if they're on AT&T and still want to use one.
    03-13-20 01:34 PM
    I don't understand this thread.

Doesn't this just concern the AT&T Passport with the rounded corners?

By the time 2022 comes, assuming BB10 and the Passport's hardware still chugs along, one can always just go for an OG/Silver/White/Red one if they're on AT&T and still want to use one.
    It's about neither actually. I don't suspect this will impact BB10 devices.

No guarantees, but I see no "for sure" red flags here.
    WES51 likes this.
    03-13-20 01:48 PM
71 123