My screen is lifting on the bottom right corner of my Passport. Every few days I bend the phone back but I'm just postponing the inevitable return and fix ...
    Would love to know if it's metal, which can be bent back and hold position. Plastic which can be bent back to "original" position but go back to bent form. Or screw pressing thru the interior mounting plate on backside of screen.

Anyone with a lifting screen willing to take their Passport apart?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 06:39 PM
    If it's passport twist, it's not from the flimsy thin metal frame. The frame isn't the back bone of the phones strength. It's actually the plastic backing of the screen.

Check this out

Anyone can tell the metal is only a thin trim and nothing more.
    If it was meant to be some sort of strength, you would see all the parts attaching to the metal frame. Not the plastic inside.

I'd be leaning towards a manufacturing defect of over tightening the screws for the motherboard and other parts and making them press and touch the back side of the screen, pushing it up over time.

But unless someone takes a so called bent passport apart, no one can say it's twisting nor bending. The keys are on the front, so no flat surface to test against. And camera on the back, so no flat surface there either to test against.

All a person knows is their screens lifting. And that's all, that's the fact.

Posted via CB10
    That's not true. I've fixed my old Passport by twisting it back to normal. It absolutely can be observed by doing a "flat test" on a table. Plastic isn't malleable in that way.
    07-20-15 06:40 PM
    That's not true. I've fixed my old Passport by twisting it back to normal. It absolutely can be observed by doing a "flat test" on a table. Plastic isn't malleable in that way.
    Test away.
    Wait better yet. I'll make a video of my twisted Passport which the screen is still attached to.

When hasn't plastic been malleable?

How do you not know that your using the frame to bent back the twisted plastic?

Have you taken your Passport apart to see if it's the metal bent or the plastic mount board that's twisted?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 06:45 PM
    Would love to know if it's metal, which can be bent back and hold position. Plastic which can be bent back to "original" position but go back to bent form. Or screw pressing thru the interior mounting plate on backside of screen.

Anyone with a lifting screen willing to take their Passport apart?

Posted via CB10
    I already have. Look for my threads from way back in October. The metal frame bends like nobody's business.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 07:12 PM
    I already have. Look for my threads from way back in October. The metal frame bends like nobody's business.

Posted via CB10
    How about posting your threads from way back in October. Since there in your past threads and easier to find.

The metal frame bends like nobody's business.
    Proves my point about it not being any significant support to the phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 07:35 PM
    How about posting your threads from way back in October. Since there in your past threads and easier to find.

The metal frame bends like nobody's business.
    Proves my point about it not being any significant support to the phone.

Posted via CB10
    The internal steel frame was originally advertised as providing support for the phone.

The screen isn't bending, that's why it pops off the frame. Where do you think the phone is bending? Plastic wants to bounce back if it's being stressed. Warm metal will settle. It's not the plastic attached to the back of the screen.

What plastic in this phone is bending and settling? Ludicrous. Give us evidence that the metal frame isn't causing the phone to twist. It's not that the steel is weak, it's just that the leverage applied to a phone of this size would require stronger/thicker steel to support it.
    07-20-15 09:56 PM
    The internal steel frame was originally advertised as providing support for the phone.

The screen isn't bending, that's why it pops off the frame. Where do you think the phone is bending? Plastic wants to bounce back if it's being stressed. Warm metal will settle. It's not the plastic attached to the back of the screen.

What plastic in this phone is bending and settling? Ludicrous. Give us evidence that the metal frame isn't causing the phone to twist. It's not that the steel is weak, it's just that the leverage applied to a phone of this size would require stronger/thicker steel to support it.
    Metal or plastic will both settle and deform with the correct amount of warmth or heat.

All I said is if your so sure of the metal trim being the cause of the problem simply tear the phone apart and do a proper test of flatness for that part.

There's no way to tell that the metal is causing the issue with the phone together as a whole.
    And of course something is bent out of shape.
    Metal, plastic, glass. Could be anything pulling against or peeling away from the other. But when you have an object, aka Passport, that's not flat due to keys and camera. No matter what flat surface you place it on you can not say it's the frame when it could be any of the parts.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 10:44 PM
    But in this age and on internet you could still find few who will not shy away from actually presenting a bent frame Passport as manufacture defect and claim that the figures surpasses that of iphone bend-gate in their respective selling ratios. Just wait....
    Based on just the Crackberry forums, the Passport defects IS significantly more widespread than the iPhone bendgate and a major issue. iPhone's defect is literally limited to the single digits in terms of units relative to millions sold.

iPhone vs Passport really underlines the increased scrutiny Apple products must endure. Of course, it also helps that very few individuals own the Passport and the very few that do are devout Blackberry fans.
    07-20-15 10:50 PM
    Metal or plastic will both settle and deform with the correct amount of warmth or heat.

All I said is if your so sure of the metal trim being the cause of the problem simply tear the phone apart and do a proper test of flatness for that part.

There's no way to tell that the metal is causing the issue with the phone together as a whole.
    And of course something is bent out of shape.
    Metal, plastic, glass. Could be anything pulling against or peeling away from the other. But when you have an object, aka Passport, that's not flat due to keys and camera. No matter what flat surface you place it on you can not say it's the frame when it could be any of the parts.

By the way, I don't have the separation issue. So I don't have anything to pull apart and test, evaluate, nor prove based on this. If you do, I'm more than willing to have you ship it to me, I'll tear it down and evaluate each piece of the phone and pin point the issue.

Posted via CB10

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    07-20-15 10:51 PM
    It is good for those who have not experience passport twisting. I personally have experienced it. For those who have not experience the twisting passport, use hard case. This will avoid the bending.

Twisting only happen to those using the passport naked or those silicon soft case and place it on their pants pocket front or back, loose or tight does not matter. Other than this, I don't think you will ever experience a twisted passport.

You don't need to open the phone to see the frame to check for flatness. Simply place your phone naked face down on glass table. Tap on each corner. Since the twist is diagonal, if your top right is lifted, you bottom left should be lifted as well. When you tap on the lifted corner. You can hear the sound of the tap hitting the table. Vice versa the top left and bottom right will not make the same tap as they are not lifted. You can hear the difference in the tap sound if your passport is twisted. If you cannot hear the difference, congratz, you have a non twisted passport. If you can hear the difference, twist back gently (use your imagination) and do the tap test again. You should not hear the sound difference by now. Twisting back your phone will avoid the screen lifting in the future.

I am just trying to help other passport owner to avoid the screen lifting that is caused by passport twisting.

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    07-20-15 10:54 PM
    Based on Crackberry forums, the Passport defects IS significantly more widespread than the iPhone bendgate and a major issue. iPhone's defect is literally limited to the single digits.

iPhone vs Passport really underlines the increased scrutiny Apple products must endure. Of course, it also helps that very few individuals also own the Passport.
    Would you like to share where the statistics of where you got your numbers from in regards to iphone came from?

On here, crackberry. It seems to be the same people over and over that have the bend issue. So to make a claim like that is skeptical versus factual. And actually fewer sold wouldn't help at all. If anything it makes thing worse for a company.
    Example, two companies have a batch of 20 bad phones manufactured both companies use the same quality control as the other does.
    Company A sells 100 phones
    Company B sells 1000 phones
    Within those phones sold exist the 20 bad phones.

Which company do you think looks worse?

I'd say company A
    Margin for error when a smaller amount is sold must be almost non existent. As for a company the sells more gets a larger margin for error before it becomes a noticeable issue.

Automotive companies do it with recalls
    Electronic companies do it with recalls
    Keep going down the list.
    There has to be a margin of bad versus sold before it becomes an issue.
    For Apples easily bend able phones to make headlines would mean that a lot of users would have had to complain about it before it became an issue of design.
    But for BlackBerry it would be a way lower number of people.

07-20-15 11:06 PM
    The metal does not have to bend. It just has to experience torsion (T). The plastic shell does not have to bend. It just twists. The glass screen can't handle the tension and pulls away from the frame at the corners. If you twist it back, it will hold until you twist it again which is much easier to do when the screen is detached at the corner. The friction between the metal and the plastic along (L)i is part of what holds the shape.

Article on the Passport "Bendgate"-351px-torsionconstantbar.svg.png

I don't think a hard case is going to make much of a difference if you sit down with it in your jeans pocket. This doesn't happen as easily if frame and the back are unibody metal in design.

Article on the Passport "Bendgate"-passport-design.jpgArticle on the Passport "Bendgate"-base-construction-galaxy-s6.jpgArticle on the Passport "Bendgate"-iphone-6-chassis-nowhereelse-002.jpg
    Last edited by k1rkland; 07-20-15 at 11:44 PM.
    07-20-15 11:28 PM
    You CANNOT bend Passport. There's actually a YouTube of someone tried it and failed.
    07-21-15 02:07 AM
    You CANNOT bend Passport. There's actually a YouTube of someone tried it and failed.
    The Passport doesn't bend. It twists.

Posted from an ME173X
    07-21-15 02:27 AM
    The Passport doesn't bend. It twists.

Posted from an ME173X
    Now that's a new one. But just about everything twists, no?

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 on Telkomsel Network
    07-21-15 03:24 AM
    i'll pass... on the passport.
    07-21-15 05:47 AM
    Article on the Passport "Bendgate"-58156936.jpg
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    07-21-15 05:50 AM

Well if one video says it doesn't bend then I guess everyone can just quit discussing it....

Article on the Passport "Bendgate"-screen-shot-2015-07-17-10.54.40-am.png
    07-21-15 06:08 AM
    Now that's a new one. But just about everything twists, no?

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 on Telkomsel Network
    This has literally been a major issue since day one. It's not "new."

The metal frame of the passport is split in the bottom center. Basically the top are the hips, the sides are the legs, and the bottom are two separate feet. The steel frame wants to 'walk'. And when it walks, the phone twists.

Because the phone is so wide, the amount of force required to twist the phone is relatively minor.

I'm my experience, regular use without wearing tight pants (as I had a new Passport when I was recovering from a surgery for two weeks) is enough to experience this torsion and twisting of the device. Thankfully it can be corrected by hand because the frame is weak and you have a lot of leverage. It's still a major design oversight.

I'd suggest the Seidio hard case if you're afraid of these issues.
    07-21-15 07:27 AM
    Point blank!!!

People, don't sit on your phones.
    Don't lean against it while in your front pockets.

They aren't designed for 100 plus pounds to be pressed into them.
    If your planning on that or that's how you treat your phones, go get a contractors rated phone. One of those fat rubbered walkie talkie type phones.

Otherwise, enough with the finger pointing assumptions about what the problem is. Especially since no one will tear down the phone and get photos of what the individual part is that causes this so call bend/twist.

You don't go out and buy a $100,000 sports car, hit one pot hole and say it's a design flaw because you bent the suspension whether you recall hitting the hole or not. It would never fly.

playboldbook likes this.
    07-21-15 08:35 AM
    Point blank!!!

People, don't sit on your phones.
    Don't lean against it while in your front pockets.

They aren't designed for 100 plus pounds to be pressed into them.
    If your planning on that or that's how you treat your phones, go get a contractors rated phone. One of those fat rubbered walkie talkie type phones.
    I agree with your point if you were talking about back pockets, but the phone should be able to be carried in the front pocket without any issues. Not everyone wants to use a holster.

My current Q10 and the Z10 do not have any issues being carried in the front pocket, and so are most of the phones in the market.

Phones have to be carried somehow. And you can't just carry it by hand, or carry it in a bag at all times.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 08:59 AM
    A wide device is more likely to twist than a narrow one. A device with a unibody construction where the sides and the back are a single piece is much harder to twist. iPad Mini's are much larger and thinner but you don't see many reports of them twisting in that way. People don't usually carry iPads in their pocket, however, I have put a Mini in my back pocket briefly and did accidentally sit down once. That was a bad feeling but it didn't bend.
    07-21-15 09:42 AM
    Chen...

Watch 1:43 - 3:00
    07-21-15 10:18 AM
    Hmm I must be a lucky person. I gone through like 7 passport and I had no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why does one go through 7 passports if no issues have occured?
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-21-15 10:44 AM
    That guy's Limited Edition Gold Passport looks like crap. If one abuses his phone like that no wonder there are problems with it, and one has to use super glue to keep it together.
    07-21-15 10:49 AM
94 1234