BlackBerry?s Mysterious Bendgate: What Causes the Screen to Come Off and How to Fix It - Softpedia

Something to keep in mind if you are considering a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Matt J and ProjectBrett like this.
    07-19-15 02:21 PM
    Never had a issue with my Passport. Using it every second of the day + without any case. Still looks the same!
    anon(8908445) and extisis like this.
    07-19-15 02:34 PM
    Mine has been great, though oddly it has had some minor twisting. I have no idea when it happened since I keep it in a case and you can't really see it in the case. It does not affect use at all and you have to look for it to see it.

I say, buy the phone you want. If you get an iphone the screen might shatter. Overall, the Passport is very durable, but there is that one issue.

Posted via CB10
    sheradon likes this.
    07-19-15 03:28 PM
    Mine has been great, though oddly it has had some minor twisting. I have no idea when it happened since I keep it in a case and you can't really see it in the case. It does not affect use at all and you have to look for it to see it.

I say, buy the phone you want. If you get an iphone the screen might shatter. Overall, the Passport is very durable, but there is that one issue.

Posted via CB10
    Twist it back. It is easy and safe. It will avoid the future screen lifting. Use hard case as well, this will help reduce the twisting. To test for twisting is easy. Place your phone facedown on glass table. Tap on each corner, you can tell when it is twisted. Just twist back. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 11:58 PM
    BlackBerry?s Mysterious Bendgate: What Causes the Screen to Come Off and How to Fix It - Softpedia

Something to keep in mind if you are considering a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Damn that's a pretty in depth piece as far as "gadget" reporting goes. I think I'll wait for version 2. Maybe they'll even bring back the removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    07-20-15 12:22 AM
    Wow, I never thought I'd actually see this in an actual media outlet that people read! Amazing! This is basically the same thing I've reported on CrackBerry back in October of last year. Design flaw is a design flaw. It is sad that BlackBerry won't admit the problem even exists.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-20-15 12:25 AM
    Guess I've been fortunate, or perhaps it's because I have always carried mine in a holster.

Would be tough to do a clean super glue job on the edge,.. definitely risky, but probably better than dealing with returning the thing... lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 12:36 AM
    Damn that's a pretty in depth piece as far as "gadget" reporting goes. I think I'll wait for version 2. Maybe they'll even bring back the removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    The worst part is that the Passport in the article was a limited Gold edition that easily costs more than 4 times the cost of a typical Passport.
    07-20-15 01:09 AM
    This is actually a bad article.
    The picture with comparison to the standard BlackBerry is no good as the keys of Passport are not flush with the screen. And raise the phone off the table.
    Do you see how they purposely don't show you the keyboard section of the black Passport?

The only way to see if the frame is truly bent is to tear down the phone to only the frame. Or the bend is so severe, that it's visual.

As for Waze.
    Not everyone has the issue the writer has.
    I plug my phone into the car and run Waze and other apps with screen on. And no problem here maintaining it's charge.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 05:26 AM
    The worst part is that the Passport in the article was a limited Gold edition that easily costs more than 4 times the cost of a typical Passport.
    http://m.tech.firstpost.com/news-ana...us-251850.html

Actually it cost only about 1/3 more than the standard Passport. Or about $250.00 US more. When they were all selling at full price.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 05:34 AM
    This is wrong! Super glue?

Read the last post here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1029368

 CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680 
    07-20-15 05:53 AM
    Had my passport for like 8 months now and not hand a single issue with the build quality.... only problem I have is the scratches and dents down the metal frame where I've dropped it numerous times ;'(

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 06:00 AM
    Had it in my back pocket driving my car for 20 minutes and it was bent. I juste "counter bent" it

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 09:51 AM
    This article does not apply to BlackBerry Passport Devices that are available in South Africa!

Z30STA100-6/10.3.1.2582
    07-20-15 10:13 AM
    This is my second PP and again no issue with screen whatsoever!

 Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2204 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    07-20-15 12:52 PM

Well that settles that issue.

/endthread

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-20-15 01:21 PM

Same here!

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 02:08 PM
    Well that settles that issue.
    LOL. There has been a rash of home burglaries in my area and and my contribution at the neighborhood meeting was "Well, my house has never been burglarized." Someone else stood up and said "Same here!" so, apparently, it isn't a problem.
    07-20-15 02:22 PM
    Wait... just wait.... Chen said the Passport don't bend. You aren't telling me that I can't believe anything he says now.....
    07-20-15 02:47 PM
    I realise there is screen lift issue with some of the Passport but I could not see 'bent' frame in the pictures. The title is misleading and vague as far as presenting the facts with backing evidence is concerned. But in this age and on internet you could still find few who will not shy away from actually presenting a bent frame Passport as manufacture defect and claim that the figures surpasses that of iphone bend-gate in their respective selling ratios. Just wait....
    07-20-15 03:50 PM
    LOL. There has been a rash of home burglaries in my area and and my contribution at the neighborhood meeting was "Well, my house has never been burglarized." Someone else stood up and said "Same here!" so, apparently, it isn't a problem.
    No one has actually taken a Passport apart and placed just the frame alone on a flat surface.
    It can not be tested for twist by setting it on a table, as keys stick up on the front and camera sticks out on the back.
    Which placing it on front or back the keys or the camera will give you an effect that the phones not flat when pressed in any corner.

Show me the metal frame only from a so called twisted Passport resting on a table then show the twist.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 05:07 PM
    I realise there is screen lift issue with some of the Passport but I could not see 'bent' frame in the pictures. The title is misleading and vague as far as presenting the facts with backing evidence is concerned. But in this age and on internet you could still find few who will not shy away from actually presenting a bent frame Passport as manufacture defect and claim that the figures surpasses that of iphone bend-gate in their respective selling ratios. Just wait....
    The Passport twists. The metal frame is insufficiently braced (not braced at all) for the width of the phone and the amount of torque it must endure from light use.

It's a fact.
    07-20-15 05:39 PM
    Hmm I must be a lucky person. I gone through like 7 passport and I had no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-20-15 05:50 PM
    The Passport twists. The metal frame is insufficiently braced (not braced at all) for the width of the phone and the amount of torque it must endure from light use.

It's a fact.
    If it's passport twist, it's not from the flimsy thin metal frame. The frame isn't the back bone of the phones strength. It's actually the plastic backing of the screen.

Check this out

Anyone can tell the metal is only a thin trim and nothing more.
    If it was meant to be some sort of strength, you would see all the parts attaching to the metal frame. Not the plastic inside.

I'd be leaning towards a manufacturing defect of over tightening the screws for the motherboard and other parts and making them press and touch the back side of the screen, pushing it up over time.

But unless someone takes a so called bent passport apart, no one can say it's twisting nor bending. The keys are on the front, so no flat surface to test against. And camera on the back, so no flat surface there either to test against.

All a person knows is their screens lifting. And that's all, that's the fact.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 05:55 PM
    My screen is lifting on the bottom right corner of my Passport. Every few days I bend the phone back but I'm just postponing the inevitable return and fix ... Kind of ironic for Blackberry tho after the iPhone bend gate. I really like BB but my last two phones have had design flaws my Q10 had the loose battery that would slip out and shut the device off every time I put it on the table.
    07-20-15 06:20 PM
94 123 ...