Tell your IT department to scrap the BES and forget about spending that money. BB10 devices DO NOT REQUIRE BES to operate on your corporate network. Email can be set up via ActiveSync, which is exactly how Android, iOS and WindowsPhone devices connect to the corporate email server. I've been using my Q10 with two employers via activesync and have perfect email, contacts and calendar sync just like my ipad and my galaxy tablet. All 3 on activesync.

If people can use Android and iOS, you can just as easily use your Passport. All via Activesync. I would be willing to be that your IT guy is still under the assumption that BES is required for any Blackberry (which was true with all BB's prior to BB10 smartphones. BOTTOM LINE - KEEP YOUR PASSPORT AND GIVE YOUR IT GUY A LITTLE LESSON ON IT.

How to Connect a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone Directly to your Mail Servers Using ActiveSync | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

KB33619-Supported Microsoft ActiveSync Features and Policies for use with BlackBerry 10 OS
    Doesn't give the companies complete control of mobile devices... This is something they wouldn't allow, specially if the company is trading on the stock exchange (Experience here).

Does your firm use Office365? It has a BES alternative built in which also can manage BlackBerry devices, but not as well as BES server.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-10-15 12:04 PM
    My BlackBerry used to work on my Employers network. I was informed that as of Jan 1 it would no longer work and I could "Buy" an iPhone or a Samsung model Android phone to use, with the added bonus of "It's yours to keep even if you leave the company!"

I fail to see this as a selling feature when I'm only allowed to choose from 4 phones I don't want.

LOL, good news! That thing you don't want that you have to pay for is all yours!

So I decided I don't need to spend my own money to put in that little bit extra of unpaid work on my time off. So far so good.

Posted via CB10
    TerribleTim68 likes this.
    04-10-15 12:33 PM
    I think your Mark Twain's quote is a delight.
    I find it an INCREDIBLY useful reminder of how to deal with people on the Internet
    quangtran1 likes this.
    04-10-15 01:23 PM
    I am having the same problem. Next Friday, mine is switching to AirWatch and only sent out support notes on Apple, Android and Windows devices. So annoying.
    04-10-15 01:32 PM
    I am having the same problem. Next Friday, mine is switching to AirWatch and only sent out support notes on Apple, Android and Windows devices. So annoying.
    AirWatch supports BlackBerry devices. They even have a BB10 app in BlackBerry World. You should have plenty of hope. Currently I'm still using the Android version they made before they released the BB10 version.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 08:08 PM
    Nah, this is better:

1. Tell them you won't replace the phone, get you one instead
    2. They refuse, and fire you for not complying with "business rules"
    3. Take them to labour court for dismissal without cause
    4. ????
    5. PROFIT
    LoL
    04-11-15 03:28 AM
    Download the Airwatch App from BBworld so you are ready to make the switch. Only issue I have is picture password won't work while on Airwatch.
    I have all the permissions on the Airwatch App set to off except Device identifying information.

Passport running on 10.3.1.2708
    04-11-15 07:32 AM
    Tell your IT department to scrap the BES and forget about spending that money. BB10 devices DO NOT REQUIRE BES to operate on your corporate network. Email can be set up via ActiveSync, which is exactly how Android, iOS and WindowsPhone devices connect to the corporate email server. I've been using my Q10 with two employers via activesync and have perfect email, contacts and calendar sync just like my ipad and my galaxy tablet. All 3 on activesync.

If people can use Android and iOS, you can just as easily use your Passport. All via Activesync. I would be willing to be that your IT guy is still under the assumption that BES is required for any Blackberry (which was true with all BB's prior to BB10 smartphones. BOTTOM LINE - KEEP YOUR PASSPORT AND GIVE YOUR IT GUY A LITTLE LESSON ON IT.

How to Connect a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone Directly to your Mail Servers Using ActiveSync | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

KB33619-Supported Microsoft ActiveSync Features and Policies for use with BlackBerry 10 OS
    This often seems to be true. Its 3-4 years since my firm dropped the BES support. We since have gotten new owners. The new IT department says they dont support Blackberry at all. But some of us newer stopped running Blackberry. It seems IT department thinks BlackBerry only works with BES. Now using Z10 for the second year. Same settings as Samsung and iPhone to connect to the server.

Order a iPhone 6 and give it to the kids. Est voila you can continue to work wide
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    04-12-15 02:58 AM
    you keep saying this but what if they use another MDM solution and not just activesync?
    Very true, I asked my IT coordinator and he said they don't use active sync or BES anymore. He mentioned something called 'Touchdown' and another software on the phone side I can't remember right now.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 10:00 AM
    ....blasphemy!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 10:22 AM
    Looks like the iGeneration is really disrupting things again.
    04-12-15 11:15 AM
    Very true, I asked my IT coordinator and he said they don't use active sync or BES anymore. He mentioned something called 'Touchdown' and another software on the phone side I can't remember right now.

Posted via CB10
    Touchdown is an ActiveSync (and other) Email client for Android. Sounds like they might use Exchange ActiveSync.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    04-12-15 03:14 PM
    Touchdown is an ActiveSync (and other) Email client for Android. Sounds like they might use Exchange ActiveSync.
    Thanks for the info. But they said there is one other software piece they need installed on the phone . I'll check Monday and reply back.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 03:48 PM
    Bb10 is different! Your it dept not up to date! You can keep passport!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 06:41 PM
    Our company is still issuing old BES (perhaps 7) and issuing legacy BlackBerrys to some of its employees, while using MaaS360 Suite to manage the BYOD iOS and Android phones. And, they keep telling me they can not support any BB10 phones. Does anybody know if anything can be done there to use a BB10 device if they support Android?
    04-12-15 07:55 PM
    My work has also closed support for BlackBerry. They're gone with Google Apps for work and do not allow BlackBerry at all.
    I was one of the 24 people left of 5000. I guess I'll ask them to get me a phone if they need me to reply to emails.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-14-15 08:24 AM
    They're gone with Google Apps for work and do not allow BlackBerry at all.
    I assume Google does not scan the contents of documents and emails when the user has a paid subscription?

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    04-14-15 08:57 AM
    I assume Google does not scan the contents of documents and emails when the user has a paid subscription?

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    I think so. In Australia, government schools also use it so I'm sure they have a separate setup for paid subscriptions. Being in one of the big four, you would imagine they'll be super careful about the confidentiality.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-14-15 05:00 PM
    Work IT wanted people to switch to software RSA tokens. Even when I showed them the RSA token app on my BlackBerry 10, they still said they wouldn't support it - Android and iOS only. Sometimes they're just dead set on things.
    Just tell them you got an android device, technically I believe the RSA app is an Android Port anyway. All they need is the software generated token and they can provide the other half of the combo.
    04-15-15 02:05 PM
    Sometimes you just have to stand up to the IT dept. They can be lazy, just like all of us.

Once I forced mine to listen to me, on my third phone call mind you, I was able to get my Z10 connected.

I am now updated to using the Passport without a problem, but boy was I steamed when they tried to bluff me out of using my preferred brand.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 06:28 PM
    Tell your IT department to scrap the BES and forget about spending that money. BB10 devices DO NOT REQUIRE BES to operate on your corporate network.
    If the OP works in an industry where the security of the data is a concern then this may not be an option.

Sounds to me like they may have invested in an alternative to BES such as AirWatch and aren't willing to pay to run two MDM systems simultaneously for 2 users. It's the most common scenario where BES is ditched, before BES10 took off thousands of companies already started using another MDM for iOS and Android devices so they eventually retire their BES and keep the alternative MDM system instead.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    04-15-15 06:52 PM
    Still have my G3 in excellent condition if you're interested in purchasing. Haven't touched it in months. But I think the Passport is the way to go

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 09:23 PM
    If the OP works in an industry where the security of the data is a concern then this may not be an option.

Sounds to me like they may have invested in an alternative to BES such as AirWatch and aren't willing to pay to run two MDM systems simultaneously for 2 users.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    You don't need BES, if they have Airwatch then he can download the Airwatch app from BBworld and get connected.

04-15-15 10:05 PM
    You don't need BES, if they have Airwatch then he can download the Airwatch app from BBworld and get connected.

The native BB10 AirWatch client is poor. It's not headless so the app has to be open as an active frame for the sever to be able to send control commands to the device. There's no support for containerisation so if the OP's employer has security sensitive data they could rule out managing BB10 devices with it on those grounds. Also there's no internal network browser support for Intranet sites.

AirWatch is only one example I gave of hundreds of different MDM products out there. Without the OP finding out there's no way we can guess which one the OP's employer is using except that we know it isn't BES or plain ActiveSync or the two BB10 users would still be supported.

04-16-15 04:54 AM
    The native BB10 AirWatch client is poor. It's not headless so the app has to be open as an active frame for the sever to be able to send control commands to the device. There's no support for containerisation so if the OP's employer has security sensitive data they could rule out managing BB10 devices with it on those grounds. Also there's no internal network browser support for Intranet sites.

AirWatch is only one example I gave of hundreds of different MDM products out there. Without the OP finding out there's no way we can guess which one the OP's employer is using except that we know it isn't BES or plain ActiveSync or the two BB10 users would still be supported.

I don't keep Airwatch open and all it seems to do is force the use of a Password. Maybe I should always have it open but I have been running my Passport for a little over 4 months and only opened it once to get connected. I have all the Airwatch App permissions set to off except device identifying information.

IT haven't said a word to me yet and I ain't going to call them, the less control they have of my BYOD the better as I prefer to manage my own device security.

As you rightly say it's all guess work at the moment, we can also only guess as to how much the employer leverages their MDM solution.

04-16-15 04:27 PM
107 ... 2345