I assume you aren't getting work emails on your Passport now, or is it via BES10 or BES12? As others have stated, ActiveSync works great if they don't want to maintain a BES, but BES12 is dirt cheap with no server-side costs other than the cost of a Windows Server license on a virtual machine and using some resources. An annual license is like $25 a year.

I'm in IT, and I can confirm that most IT people are lazy. Some of us are helpful though, but it sometimes also comes down to their management imposing restrictions.
    From the sounds of it, the OP's employer has implemented a new EMM layer and it doesn't have explicit support for BB10, so the IT department is refusing to support his phone.

The thing is, every Android EMM client I've tried runs just fine in 10.3.1, but of course the IT guys likely don't know that if they don't follow BB closely.

ALSO, it sounds like they use RSA, and it further sounds like they want users to use it from WITHIN the EMM client. Yes, the BB10 RSA client will work just fine, but IT may have a policy. There is at least a theoretical security concern (though my employer lets me use my RSA without forcing me to log in to the "work" side).

The solution that lets the user have his Passport is for him to download the APK for the Android version of whatever EMM client he needs for his network, and to set it up according to IT's instructions for enrolling an Android device. It's not impossible that IT might squawk (they may have an "approved device" list), but it should likely be fine.
    diegonei and howarmat like this.
    04-09-15 01:30 PM
    From the sounds of it, the OP's employer has implemented a new EMM layer and it doesn't have explicit support for BB10, so the IT department is refusing to support his phone.

The thing is, every Android EMM client I've tried runs just fine in 10.3.1, but of course the IT guys likely don't know that if they don't follow BB closely.

ALSO, it sounds like they use RSA, and it further sounds like they want users to use it from WITHIN the EMM client. Yes, the BB10 RSA client will work just fine, but IT may have a policy. There is at least a theoretical security concern (though my employer lets me use my RSA without forcing me to log in to the "work" side).

The solution that lets the user have his Passport is for him to download the APK for the Android version of whatever EMM client he needs for his network, and to set it up according to IT's instructions for enrolling an Android device. It's not impossible that IT might squawk (they may have an "approved device" list), but it should likely be fine.
    I think your Mark Twain's quote is a delight.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-09-15 01:41 PM
    you keep saying this but what if they use another MDM solution and not just activesync?
    I got our IT department to set my Passport up on active sync. I had to download the Airwatch app from BBworld but that was an easy setup. I have been using the Passport for 5 months now and never had to call IT once.

Only issue is that I can't use the Picture Password due to airwatch MDM

Passport running on 10.3.1.2708
    rarsen likes this.
    04-09-15 01:44 PM
    I got our IT department to set my Passport up on active sync. I had to download the Airwatch app from BBworld but that was an easy setup. I have been using the Passport for 5 months now and never had to call IT once.

Only issue is that I can't use the Picture Password due to airwatch MDM

I can't use picture password or Blend - -and I'm on BES.
    04-09-15 02:21 PM
    Work IT wanted people to switch to software RSA tokens. Even when I showed them the RSA token app on my BlackBerry 10, they still said they wouldn't support it - Android and iOS only. Sometimes they're just dead set on things.
    They told me this where I work too (I'm a contract employee). I downloaded the Android RSA Token app and the IT guys insisted that it would not work and would be insecure and that I must get an Apple or Android. I told him if he could prove that me doing it this way was insecure I would relent. He could find no proof that it would, he sent me the Android Token Key and it worked just fine.

It's scary when I know more than an IT guy about such things.
    rarsen, LyoobaBerry and QNX4all like this.
    04-09-15 03:54 PM
    They told me this where I work too (I'm a contract employee). I downloaded the Android RSA Token app and the IT guys insisted that it would not work and would be insecure and that I must get an Apple or Android. I told him if he could prove that me doing it this way was insecure I would relent. He could find no proof that it would, he sent me the Android Token Key and it worked just fine.

that and as a IT person im gonna say something that even hurts me, we BS alot to make it so people back off and do as we ask them to. When people like yourself are smart enough to ask questions on proof that's when things go south and we give in lol.
    04-09-15 04:25 PM
    Are you saying BES12 can push public folders, and Calendars too, not just PF Contacts, to EAS devices?

Posted via my mighty squircle Passport
    04-09-15 05:20 PM

Yeah, I'd love to know how that could possibly be more insecure than using Android itself.
    rickkel likes this.
    04-09-15 05:55 PM
    THIS!

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    Mine does - I have mine on active sync and the iphones and android have an app made by the hospital for the 2-factor authentication which is their MDM - the app gives a code. "I" get a phone call because I don't want to load that crap on my phone. Once I get the call I have to push # and it finishes the connection. That's only applicable if I'm logging into VPN or anything else hospital related via the web if I"m not already logged into the VPN. The email admin as made an exception for every single phone I've had up to the Classic to work completely with active sync with no issues.

They also killed off BES because of the few people who use the Blackberry's now. Most went to iPhone.
    04-09-15 06:08 PM
    that and as a IT person im gonna say something that even hurts me, we BS alot to make it so people back off and do as we ask them to. When people like yourself are smart enough to ask questions on proof that's when things go south and we give in lol.
    Ha ha, I KNEW IT! The IT guy I deal with hates that I have a BlackBerry. The entire organization has iPhones and Androids, and in waltzes a contract employee with a BlackBerry he has to deal with.

It really took some threatening emails from the higher up executives (that wanted to make sure I was happy or I'd bail on them) before he would even work with me at all. He doesn't like me, I can tell - just because I have a BlackBerry and he can't understand why on earth I don't have an iPhone (he has told me that). I have never met him in person and I'm not sure I want to see his smug little face - but I'd like to show him my Z30 and why I have it instead of his iPhone!
    04-09-15 06:23 PM
    I wish to thank everyone who provided guidance. The information on the Passport supporting Activesynch was the saving grace. We'll see what happens when they turn off the BES. But the decision to force me away from BB is presently on hold.

AGAIN, THANKS!!!!
    04-09-15 07:22 PM
    Must be a setting on BES that won't let you use Blend. It works for me while on Airwatch.

04-09-15 08:07 PM
    Glad you got to keep your Passport, but they feel stupid

Posted by Jzamalot
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    04-09-15 08:12 PM
    Perhaps things are different in the United States, or my specific industry is very backwards - in Australia, the financial services corporate world frequently uses BlackBerry devices and that's why I said the 3rd most common device.

I think a big reason for this is due to the fact that the Australian government utilises BlackBerry handsets for all state-owned devices and perhaps in financial services the desire for encryption is higher than in other, more consumer orientated industries.

Irrespective, I think it's pathetic for a company to stop issuing out mobile devices and expect employees to provide a device for work use and then dictate what the employee can purchase.

The more I read and hear about BYOD technology, the more I see how it could never work in my business with the data that I use daily, I can't understand how so many organisations are able to implement it without security risks.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    04-09-15 08:58 PM
    Both of those are settings in BES. Since I run mine, I have both enabled.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 09:49 PM
    They don't have to. 10.3.1 will run the Android APKs.
    I think someone already tried Good Enterprise and it reports the device as rooted. Most system policies block rooted devices.
    04-09-15 09:57 PM
    Tell your IT department to scrap the BES and forget about spending that money. BB10 devices DO NOT REQUIRE BES to operate on your corporate network. Email can be set up via ActiveSync, which is exactly how Android, iOS and WindowsPhone devices connect to the corporate email server. I've been using my Q10 with two employers via activesync and have perfect email, contacts and calendar sync just like my ipad and my galaxy tablet. All 3 on activesync.

If people can use Android and iOS, you can just as easily use your Passport. All via Activesync. I would be willing to be that your IT guy is still under the assumption that BES is required for any Blackberry (which was true with all BB's prior to BB10 smartphones. BOTTOM LINE - KEEP YOUR PASSPORT AND GIVE YOUR IT GUY A LITTLE LESSON ON IT.

How to Connect a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone Directly to your Mail Servers Using ActiveSync | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

KB33619-Supported Microsoft ActiveSync Features and Policies for use with BlackBerry 10 OS
    All good but let's say that they are using a platform like MobileIron or GOOD. They may not support Blackberries on those.

LATER EDIT: I see now that this topic came up already
    04-10-15 03:27 AM
    Not very happy, but IT says i am one of two people in the company still using a Blackberry. They claim that to renew the server will cost $4K. So, I've got to decide which android or IPhone will best match my business needs. Seems like the LG G3 accepts an SD card, replaceable battery and has a USB port.

I know we are all prejudiced again the consumer phones, but I need guidance as to the best out of these inferior phones.

I guess I'll be selling my unlocked Passport as I have a second one for my personal use.

PM me if you are interested.

Posted via CB10
    My partner got the same from her work IT dept. Then, when she told them the server thing is only needed for "old" 'Berrys they looked into it and agreed she was correct. In fact they came back to her and said it would be cheaper for them if she could please keep her 'Berry instead of spending out on something else. They were just out of date on the issue and didn't appreciate the actual facts as of now. I hope you get to keep yours, it will be a good business decision I'm sure.

Maybe just keep it and challenge them to stop paying for the "server thing" because your 'Berry should keep working fine anyway, just like it always has :-)
    04-10-15 07:04 AM
    Perhaps things are different in the United States, or my specific industry is very backwards - in Australia, the financial services corporate world frequently uses BlackBerry devices and that's why I said the 3rd most common device.

I think a big reason for this is due to the fact that the Australian government utilises BlackBerry handsets for all state-owned devices and perhaps in financial services the desire for encryption is higher than in other, more consumer orientated industries.

Irrespective, I think it's pathetic for a company to stop issuing out mobile devices and expect employees to provide a device for work use and then dictate what the employee can purchase.

The more I read and hear about BYOD technology, the more I see how it could never work in my business with the data that I use daily, I can't understand how so many organisations are able to implement it without security risks.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    I agree. Here in the UK heaps of people "solve" this dilemna by carrying a work device that's good for all the business things, then a second device for wasting away quiet moments on games, apps, music and movies and of course for phoning a friend/relative.

Also it's true to say a lot of business devices are invisible to people who are not at the place of work that requires security, so the likes of most kids, housewives, people in low security jobs, and of course the jobless simply won't see that any business grade smartphone even exists. Because they will not have experienced one.
    yessuz likes this.
    04-10-15 07:23 AM
    If I have a phone that doesn't work on my employers network, then they can buy me a new one.
    I wouldn't buy a different one for them. You want to use my phone, then use it. Or don't

Posted via CB10
    Most simplistic post ... effective. Completely missed this. Indeed if their dictating a specific model why not they pay for it.
    04-10-15 08:00 AM
    Not very happy, but IT says i am one of two people in the company still using a Blackberry. They claim that to renew the server will cost $4K. So, I've got to decide which android or IPhone will best match my business needs. Seems like the LG G3 accepts an SD card, replaceable battery and has a USB port.

I know we are all prejudiced again the consumer phones, but I need guidance as to the best out of these inferior phones.

I guess I'll be selling my unlocked Passport as I have a second one for my personal use.

Posted via CB10
    If I were you I would've quit the job.
    04-10-15 09:10 AM
    If I were you I would've quit the job.
    Nah, this is better:

1. Tell them you won't replace the phone, get you one instead
    2. They refuse, and fire you for not complying with "business rules"
    3. Take them to labour court for dismissal without cause
    4. ????
    5. PROFIT
    04-10-15 11:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    Have you asked whether they will let you connect directly via Exchange ActiveSync? BBRY's implementation is the best.

I feel your pain BTW. Giving up my Z10 was like having my right arm cut off.
    04-10-15 11:08 AM
    I think someone already tried Good Enterprise and it reports the device as rooted. Most system policies block rooted devices.
    Okay, that's "good" to know.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    04-10-15 11:56 AM
    Yes, both of those are set in policy. We have Picture Password enabled, but not Blend, yet. Just upgrading to BES12 over the weekend so I'll take it up with my fellow admins after were done with that.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    04-10-15 12:01 PM
107 12345