Not very happy, but IT says i am one of two people in the company still using a Blackberry. They claim that to renew the server will cost $4K. So, I've got to decide which android or IPhone will best match my business needs. Seems like the LG G3 accepts an SD card, replaceable battery and has a USB port.

I know we are all prejudiced again the consumer phones, but I need guidance as to the best out of these inferior phones.

I guess I'll be selling my unlocked Passport as I have a second one for my personal use.

PM me if you are interested.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 03:43 PM
    I'd suggest posting your request for advice over at Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com. Your MobileNations passport makes you a member there as well. Give your criteria and I'm sure you'll get some guidance.

And when you're ready to sell/trade your Passport, do so in the Market Place. The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

You could even post it as a "Want to Trade" on AC's Market Place, for an Android device.
    04-08-15 03:51 PM
    IT says i am one of two people in the company still using a Blackberry. They claim that to renew the server will cost $4K. So, I've got to decide which android or IPhone will...
    What server is this that is required for your BlackBerry 10 device that isn't needed for iPhone and Android devices?
    ibpluto, jupiter8, NYTOC83 and 3 others like this.
    04-08-15 04:03 PM
    Not very happy, but IT says i am one of two people in the company still using a Blackberry. They claim that to renew the server will cost $4K. So, I've got to decide which android or IPhone will best match my business needs. Seems like the LG G3 accepts an SD card, replaceable battery and has a USB port.

I know we are all prejudiced again the consumer phones, but I need guidance as to the best out of these inferior phones.

I guess I'll be selling my unlocked Passport as I have a second one for my personal use.

Posted via CB10
    $4k for a BES 12 server sounds reasonable. I need to upgrade mine as well. I've been holding off as long as I can. There are many advantages to connect Blackberries via BES vs ActiveSync.
    04-08-15 04:43 PM
    Tell your IT department to scrap the BES and forget about spending that money. BB10 devices DO NOT REQUIRE BES to operate on your corporate network. Email can be set up via ActiveSync, which is exactly how Android, iOS and WindowsPhone devices connect to the corporate email server. I've been using my Q10 with two employers via activesync and have perfect email, contacts and calendar sync just like my ipad and my galaxy tablet. All 3 on activesync.

If people can use Android and iOS, you can just as easily use your Passport. All via Activesync. I would be willing to be that your IT guy is still under the assumption that BES is required for any Blackberry (which was true with all BB's prior to BB10 smartphones. BOTTOM LINE - KEEP YOUR PASSPORT AND GIVE YOUR IT GUY A LITTLE LESSON ON IT.

How to Connect a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone Directly to your Mail Servers Using ActiveSync | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    04-08-15 04:58 PM
    All sounds very odd for a supposed BYOD world.... may be a good example of a lazy IT department.... Easier to deny service and standardize devices on their network... than to do a bit of homework and let those use a device of their choosing... and of course the almighty office politics could play a part... in any even.. rather shoddy way to run a business....
    04-08-15 05:12 PM
    You could always try using configuring your BB device on the new system but lacking that I'd get an Android device that has long battery life like the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (mSD card but non-removable battery). The LG G3 is pedestrian in that respect due to its high-rez screen.
    04-08-15 05:14 PM
    Tell them the passport supports active sync just like android and iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 05:29 PM
    You could always try using configuring your BB device on the new system but lacking that I'd get an Android device that has long battery life like the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (mSD card but non-removable battery). The LG G3 is pedestrian in that respect due to its high-rez screen.
    NO! No new system involved. IT doesn't want to spend $$ to upgrade BES. They don't have to. BB10 phones can connect to Exchange Activesync in EXACTLY the SAME way as Android and IOS. Activesync is the de facto standard for connecting mobile devices. Passport can do it just like an iphone or galaxy.
    04-08-15 05:32 PM
    Yeah that makes no since
    We have active sync only in a 44,000 people organization
    They decommissioned our bes server cause we only have a few BlackBerry users left

Our it was very glad when bb10 came out to support AS

Maybe they don't know???

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1, thymaster and QNX4all like this.
    04-08-15 05:36 PM
    Tell them the passport supports active sync just like android and iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    THIS
    04-08-15 05:37 PM
    We scrapped BES and use active sync with our BlackBerry's.

Posted via CB10
    QNX4all likes this.
    04-08-15 05:43 PM
    THIS
    you keep saying this but what if they use another MDM solution and not just activesync?
    Supa_Fly1, dolco, highos and 3 others like this.
    04-08-15 05:51 PM
    Work IT wanted people to switch to software RSA tokens. Even when I showed them the RSA token app on my BlackBerry 10, they still said they wouldn't support it - Android and iOS only. Sometimes they're just dead set on things.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    04-08-15 06:25 PM
    Gentlemen, and possibly ladies,
    BES is required in certain environments. Yes you can sync and retrieve emails, calendars, contacts via ActiveSync, or iMAP, or POP. However, I need a few more components. One, I also need to sync public folders. Let's say you have shared calendars, shared task lists, shared address books, etc. You need BES. I can't speak for the OP's environment, but the benefits of having 1000 staff members on the same page outweigh the costs. Furthermore, if IT policy integrity is necessary, BES has to be implemented. I don't want users to install whatever applications they want, I need BES. I can push out policies that set limits. When I need all users to use the same version of an app for obvious support and security reasons, I can control that.

Is it an overkill for some companies? Maybe. Maybe not. These are my requirements for my company. That said, if OP's company already allows non-Blackberry devices, I can safely say that it does not need BES. Like most of you have said, ActiveSync works fine, although it uses more data. BES data is compressed.
    Last edited by quangtran1; 04-08-15 at 06:57 PM.
    04-08-15 06:39 PM
    I'd try mentioning that it supports active sync, just in case they're not up to speed on BB10 vs BBOS, you never know, lol.

If it's no dice on the Passport, I like the Nexus 5. 5" Screen, Lollipop friendly, no bloatware, great battery, great screen. No messing around, it's a workhorse. Also an LG device. Sorry to hear they're making you switch, but it's work related so what can ya do? As someone else said, so much for BYOD, lol.

EDIT: And if you're PO'ed at them making you switch, then maybe a 32GB iPhone 6+. Also a nice device and waaaaaay more expensive than the Nexus 5 (About 1/4 of the 4K they'd need to spend to keep you on the Passport). Make 'em pay for making you switch, haha.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    04-08-15 06:42 PM
    If I have a phone that doesn't work on my employers network, then they can buy me a new one.
    I wouldn't buy a different one for them. You want to use my phone, then use it. Or don't

Posted via CB10
    Omahahaha and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    04-08-15 06:44 PM
    you keep saying this but what if they use another MDM solution and not just activesync?
    Just assuming they are probably already using a BB compatible MDM/EMM platform since having the Passport is just now an issue due to needed to upgrade the BES.
    04-08-15 06:48 PM
    I appreciate all the guidance. I'll ask about Activesynch. They have refused to provide me with Blackeberrys. First, I bought a Z10, then a Z30, and now the passport. We do share calendars using Outlook and corporate email contacts. I cannot imagine that requires BES.

They will buy me whichever Android I want.But ..... I don't want one.
    mkiiw and nick13b like this.
    04-08-15 07:15 PM
    Tell your IT department to scrap the BES and forget about spending that money. BB10 devices DO NOT REQUIRE BES to operate on your corporate network. Email can be set up via ActiveSync, which is exactly how Android, iOS and WindowsPhone devices connect to the corporate email server. I've been using my Q10 with two employers via activesync and have perfect email, contacts and calendar sync just like my ipad and my galaxy tablet. All 3 on activesync.

If people can use Android and iOS, you can just as easily use your Passport. All via Activesync. I would be willing to be that your IT guy is still under the assumption that BES is required for any Blackberry (which was true with all BB's prior to BB10 smartphones. BOTTOM LINE - KEEP YOUR PASSPORT AND GIVE YOUR IT GUY A LITTLE LESSON ON IT.

How to Connect a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone Directly to your Mail Servers Using ActiveSync | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

KB33619-Supported Microsoft ActiveSync Features and Policies for use with BlackBerry 10 OS
    When he reports he lost his device ... and has an idea where it is but simply for security reports it ... he's security people may just use ActiveSync to wipe the device entirely there is no work space/personal space implementation. He finds device ... personal information only on Passport = gone. Same in your case so consider.
    04-08-15 07:16 PM
    Work IT wanted people to switch to software RSA tokens. Even when I showed them the RSA token app on my BlackBerry 10, they still said they wouldn't support it - Android and iOS only. Sometimes they're just dead set on things.
    Has nothing to do with being dead set. It's the way the RSA token is implemented that is probably the issue - via their MDM server. We install the RSA via BES10 currently ... then email the certificate file directly to the device installed boom and boom.
    quangtran1 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    04-08-15 07:19 PM
    I feel for ya. Our network group has switched to supporting only iphones and refuse to allow any other device. Has to do with their MDM setup. So they gave me a crappy older iPhone that sits at the bottom of my purse with volume off. If I need to read Corp email remotely I log into webmail on my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 07:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    IT can ditch BES, and you can still keep your Passport. It'll sync with your email the same way that Android and iOS devices do- using ActiveSync.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 08:21 PM
    I second that IT people being lazy as I am also using my Passport as my prime business phone, and YES I am getting emails off Corp servers, and NO, we are not using BES....

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    thymaster likes this.
    04-08-15 08:36 PM
    Has nothing to do with being dead set. It's the way the RSA token is implemented that is probably the issue - via their MDM server. We install the RSA via BES10 currently ... then email the certificate file directly to the device installed boom and boom.
    That's all I wanted, an email certificate file. I had read up beforehand, but nope.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    04-08-15 11:11 PM
107 123 ...