Looking at microSD cards for my BlackBerry Passport. Was wondering if a UHS 3 card would work on it? Anybody ever tried it?
    12-23-15 01:59 PM
    According to SanDisk, they do not show UHS-3 cards being compatible with a Passport:
    SanDisk products for Blackberry (RIM) Passport

SanDisk | Product Compatibility Tool

That said, most likely the only issue you would have is that you might not be able to get the full UHS-3 performance.
    But I do suggest waiting to see if someone has actually tried one to see.
    12-23-15 02:53 PM
    According to SanDisk, they do not show UHS-3 cards being compatible with a Passport:
    SanDisk products for Blackberry (RIM) Passport

SanDisk | Product Compatibility Tool

That said, most likely the only issue you would have is that you might not be able to get the full UHS-3 performance.
    But I do suggest waiting to see if someone has actually tried one to see.
    I didn't know the SanDisk website had such a feature!! And I think they do show that it's compatible with the Passport. See the most right pictures. They are all called UHS-I but on the picture you can see a 3 in the left bottom corner.

Thanks a lot! Should have thought of it myself..
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    12-23-15 03:00 PM
    I didn't know the SanDisk website had such a feature!! And I think they do show that it's compatible with the Passport. See the most right pictures. They are all called UHS-I but on the picture you can see a 3 in the left bottom corner.

Thanks a lot! Should have thought of it myself..
    Ah, I missed that... maybe you are good to go on UHS-3.
    Thanks
    12-23-15 03:12 PM
    I ordered an Samsung UHS-3 card from B&H few weeks ago but not received yet. I will feel a little bit disappointed if my Passport SE doesn't support it.

Posted via CB10 from Passport SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    12-23-15 03:15 PM
    If I decide to buy one I will let it know whether it worked or not!
    12-24-15 01:28 AM
    They do tend to make the newer version cards backward compatible these days, (not always though) however getting the latest speed rating is usually dependant on the hardware in which they are used so you could be paying a premium for a fast card which will only deliver the slower speed of the earlier, cheaper card.

Let us know how it goes.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    12-24-15 05:39 AM
    They do tend to make the newer version cards backward compatible these days, (not always though) however getting the latest speed rating is usually dependant on the hardware in which they are used so you could be paying a premium for a fast card which will only deliver the slower speed of the earlier, cheaper card.

Let us know how it goes.

Couldn't help but order one anyway. Will report back in a few days when I get it. Though you might inform me what a 'good' test would be..
    12-24-15 10:16 AM
    As long as it works it's money well spent, speed wise it's difficult to tell unless you have both types to test, unless you want to benchmark it with some software.

Benchmarking doesn't really show how much faster or slower these things are in the real world, if you do a lot of file transfers to and from the card and it takes 10 minutes are you going to notice if it completes in 9 or 8?

I would say you are not really going to notice until it's twice as fast or maybe quicker, just my opinion mind you.

I changed from a relatively slow card to a UHS 1 and the speed difference was amazing but the hardware was able to take advantage of the newer technology, I'm not sure the Passport will be able to use the speed of the newest cards, it always seems to be an age before the hardware catches up, especially BlackBerry!

Hope it is faster though.

12-24-15 10:38 AM
    Yes, that's definitely true. Maybe the Passport won't be able to allow the highest speed. But rather buy a more expensive card that can be used for the next few years (maybe an overly optimistic guess?).

Also, maybe I am gonna get a GoPro. Then it will come in very handy!
    12-24-15 01:58 PM
    dumb question... what's uhs 3? I mean aside from the "technical definition" of 30mb/s read/write?
    https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/
    that seems to make it sound like there would be no advantage to using it... passport doesn't record in 4k... what else is there that needs speeds that high?

I got the 64gb samsung sd card for black friday at $18 that is class 10... it's served me well this past month...

only thing I could think of it being useful is to transfer files to pc once card is full... but I don't mind just letting it copy over night once a year (takes me about that long to fill 16gb this 64gb will be a few years
    12-24-15 02:05 PM
    Compatibility with a GoPro or some such would make sense for me to obtain one but that's really it. The very small gain if any in performance wouldn't make sense to me.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    12-24-15 02:21 PM
    Yes that UHS 3 says something about the read and write class. Just wanted a quick one, really, and thought might as well buy a more expensive one now that I will use the next few years across multiple devices. Personal choice I guess? Also, I bought it in the UK Amazon webshop for 40 GBP, which is definitely cheaper than Dutch prices (where I am from)...
    12-24-15 03:49 PM
    I was doing some file transfers last night. The speed of the SE and my card (class 10 UHS 1) were quite impressive. They were large video files.

12-25-15 09:46 AM
    Transferred a 1,5 gb file from the UHS-3 card inside the Passport to a Windows 7 machine with USB 3.0. Write speed was continuously 30 mb / s. Think the Passport is the limiting factor here (as expected). Haven't tried it out with the card directly into my laptop, will do that at some point.
    01-05-16 07:57 AM
    Yes. Few devices are yet able to maximize the purported data transfer speeds of these cards.

01-05-16 10:41 AM
    Transferred a 1,5 gb file from the UHS-3 card inside the Passport to a Windows 7 machine with USB 3.0. Write speed was continuously 30 mb / s. Think the Passport is the limiting factor here (as expected). Haven't tried it out with the card directly into my laptop, will do that at some point.
    Was the device in USB Mass Storage Mode or was the Passport drive mapped to your computer via the BlackBerry Device Manager drivers on the computer (installed along with Link and/or Blend).
    • Mass Storage Mode your SD card is treated like a thumb drive, USB pass-through in the Passport.
    • Mapped, the Passport is handling the read/write to the SD card, so it's CPU is a limiting factor.
    01-05-16 01:17 PM
    Was the device in USB Mass Storage Mode or was the Passport drive mapped to your computer via the BlackBerry Device Manager drivers on the computer (installed along with Link and/or Blend).
    • Mass Storage Mode your SD card is treated like a thumb drive, USB pass-through in the Passport.
    • Mapped, the Passport is handling the read/write to the SD card, so it's CPU is a limiting factor.
    Sorry, that is an important detail indeed. I had USB Mass Storage Mode enabled. Now wait, are you saying the media card itself is then the limitation?

Will definitely try it through the adapter on the laptop.
    01-05-16 03:29 PM
    Sorry, that is an important detail indeed. I had USB Mass Storage Mode enabled. Now wait, are you saying the media card itself is then the limitation?

Will definitely try it through the adapter on the laptop.
    Somewhat, however the Passport, as are just about all BlackBerry devices, is USB2.0.
    So that may have been part of it.
    01-05-16 05:39 PM
    Somewhat, however the Passport, as are just about all BlackBerry devices, is USB2.0.
    So that may have been part of it.
    Totally forgot that the BlackBerry Passport has USB 2.0. Oh well, I am already quite happy with 30 mb / s while inside the BlackBerry Passport. Plan on using this media card for quite some time, so don't feel it's a wrong purchase
    01-06-16 02:46 AM