If I keep my maps app running, it drains my battery and also causes a severe slowdown for the entire device.
    I am on 10.3.0.908.

Known issue?
    11-21-14 07:39 AM
    If I keep my maps app running, it drains my battery and also causes a severe slowdown for the entire device.
    I am on 10.3.0.908.

Known issue?
    Known issue.... it's called having a lot going on at one time. Your using GPS to update your location constantly, Cellular to pull map data ever few seconds, CPU/GPU going pretty hard to process this data, and normally you have the screen on. Probably the biggest drain on the device you can have.

Now I've never noticed a slowdown of the device... as I'm usually too busy driving. But I've played music from my SD card and never noticed a hiccup....
    11-21-14 08:25 AM
    I think you will find any maps application on any mobile platform is a battery drainer ie iOS, android and windows. It's not an issue that maps cause battery drain, as for slowdowns?? Again I use maps quite often and no it does not slow my Passport down at all.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 09:20 AM
    Known issue.... it's called having a lot going on at one time. Your using GPS to update your location constantly, Cellular to pull map data ever few seconds, CPU/GPU going pretty hard to process this data, and normally you have the screen on. Probably the biggest drain on the device you can have.

Now I've never noticed a slowdown of the device... as I'm usually too busy driving. But I've played music from my SD card and never noticed a hiccup....
    This actually started happening to me since I did a reload of the OS with autoloader.

I'd say the battery drain is unusual, and the device slowdown is to the point that normal use becomes impossible. What's even more strange is that this persists even after I close (not just minimize) Maps. So I had to do a hard reset. Perhaps it might be instructive to record a video of the slowdown and post it, if this is ever replicated.

This doesn't, on the other hand, seem to happen with Google Maps. I have Google maps with dependencies removed using Cobalt's patcher, and it doesn't seem to do the same thing.

You speak of CPU/GPU, GPS and celluar connection, but none of this should slow down the device to this extent, really. It's only one process. If Passport couldn't handle Maps app running because of the issues having to do with capabilities of "CPU/GPU", "cellular connection" and "GPS constantly updating", it shouldn't be able to handle anything else, not to mention 8 of such apps at the same time.
    11-21-14 09:28 AM