Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 09:00 PM
    I think the purpose of this thread is to at least have all the information on the table so every passport users will have an idea what their getting into when they make a specific purchase of a case. So here are your options:

1) You can go naked and risk your phone to about anything.

2) Get a hard case and have a minimal protection with small blemishes on the corners as a trade off but enjoy a close to naked feel and look (the phone).

3) tpu cases like amzer w/c offers more protection and will not scratch your device but has that plastic feeling and looks more "generic" less classy.

4) flip/pouch/holster case which offers maximum protection but less pocketable and obviously no protection once the phone is out, which is when accidents usually happen.

Posted via CB10
    = Common Sense
    Not to take anything away from your post! Some people really don't have it so they need others to explain it to them.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    11-27-14 09:35 PM
    ummm, let me explain....
    11-27-14 10:55 PM
    It's the year 2014 and we can't make good cases, sigh.... my hard case is on order, but looks like I won't be using it... Thanks for the thread though, gives everyone abut of a heads-up....

Ten BlackBerrys and counting....
    11-27-14 11:46 PM
    Those saying "this is normal" clearly don't know what they are talking about. The plastic cuts into the material of the Passport. That isn't normal. It's very much abnormal and clearly points to some design tolerance issues. Either the Passport is bigger than it should be, or the case is too small. One way or another, it should not be ruining the material on the back.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren and jupiter8 like this.
    11-28-14 12:25 AM
    Testing was not done well

BlackBerry Passport - 10.3 - WIND Mobile
    11-28-14 12:32 AM
    Don't have a passport yet, so I can't comment on this particular case. But usually IMO, plastic case are ****ty. When I had a z10, a bought the OEM flip cover, and it made dents on all corners of the phone. I was so fkg pissed!

So I feel you OP. I'd never put a plastic case on my Z30 and never will on my future passport.

I prefer going "naked" than have a plastic cover.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 12:40 AM
    My case has a little bit of play in each of the top corners that I've always found kind of annoying but if that extra bit of gap/tolerance means not damaging a phone that I spent over $500 on I'm all about it!!

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 12:44 AM
    Mine certainly doesn't have those marks but it surely left a blemish in the stainless steel frame from the wobbling and crappy fit. For the time being I covered the corners with some tape until my Amzer case arrives which made the wobble disappear but now I'm worried after seeing those pictures.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 01:25 AM
    Those saying "this is normal" clearly don't know what they are talking about. The plastic cuts into the material of the Passport. That isn't normal. It's very much abnormal and clearly points to some design tolerance issues. Either the Passport is bigger than it should be, or the case is too small. One way or another, it should not be ruining the material on the back.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely agree. It is either a design or manufacturing tolerance issue. That is why I posted the revision of my case that is not causing such issues.

If you compare the damage in the picture with the molding injection ridges, it's clear that if it was not cut cleanly it would definitely cause the issue shown.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 08:44 AM
    I don't have the same issue, but particles that get in between the shell and the phone have scratched the back of the phone while the phone was in the case.
    Didn't know the top "snap" of the case could dig into the phone... And I thought I didn't fully like the fact that the case wasn't a perfectly tight fit.
    11-28-14 09:42 AM
    No problem,you must press the Phone down to the holder and then take the two above corners and push them up with your fingers. The push is needed to get it over the Phone instead of push it all over the Phone. That last one will leave a mark if you press hard enought.

the first photo you see the both lips from the top. That one you must pull up and move it over the Phone. That's the way not to damage your Phone. So don't push it in to the Phone and push it over the edge.

I think I moved the hard case for 5 times allready and just check it again and no problem if you do it my way. To get it off you do the same pull the lips from above.
    11-28-14 09:46 AM
  13. fridaybeatsmondayanygivensunday's Avatar
    I don't have the same issue, but particles that get in between the shell and the phone have scratched the back of the phone while the phone was in the case.
    Didn't know the top "snap" of the case could dig into the phone... And I thought I didn't fully like the fact that the case wasn't a perfectly tight fit.
    Reading this reminded me of my soft case I used with my q10. After months of use, I noticed that dirt or small particles accumulated inside. You wouldn't notice it since it looks really normal. But those dirt particles caused blemishes on the phone's back. Which means there's a slight probability that a tpu case may also cause blemishes on the passport. The best way to avoid this is clean the inside of the tpu case often.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 10:00 AM
    I'm about to order a vaja agenda case for my pp but after reading this I'm starting to have second thoughts. The whole point of a case it to protect the phone NOT damage it more than using it naked.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 10:05 AM
  15. fridaybeatsmondayanygivensunday's Avatar
    I'm about to order a vaja agenda case for my pp but after reading this I'm starting to have second thoughts. The whole point of a case it to protect the phone NOT damage it more than using it naked.

Posted via CB10
    Well, going naked exposes your phone to exponential risk that you might regret. Dropped my phone twice,naked, luckily there was no visible damage. However, imagine if it was on concrete? My advise unsolicited advice is go get a case, and put tape onthe phone's areas ,like the edges, that constantly rub against the case. Works for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 10:18 AM
    Can you indicate what version of the case that you have? Perhaps the problem cases are limited to a specific revision.

My case says the following, and I have not experienced the problem. HDW-59325-001 Rev. 1 09/24/14
    Mine says HDW-59325-001 Rev. A 09/17/14 also seems fine so far.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 06:33 AM
    I placed a piece of tap over my edges and it's working for me but I also don't take it out the case often. This case is almost like using it naked due too it being so thin.

"Posted from the Beast PP"
    nglfmark likes this.
    12-12-14 07:36 AM
    Damn...thanks OP. I would never have noticed these marks if it wasn't for this thread...now they are going to drive me crazy.

On a side note, I don't know what it is, but not even two months in and I am already noticing more wear and tear on my Passport then I have noticed on any other phone I have owned. Kind of disappointing!
    12-12-14 07:54 AM
    Actually 2 little scratches is ok. I just looked at my Omega Speedmaster (moon version with plastic watchface) and the stainless steel band is scratched like crazy as well as the face. Adds more character. Just so long as the phone is protected and prevents it from major damage, that's the main purpose. Cosmetic scratches I can live with. I actually prefer this case to my tetded flip leather case which was starting to annoy me with all the flipping and was a bit wobbly when placing flat on tables etc.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 07:52 PM
    Nothing on my end, not even a mark.
    What are you talking about?
    It's plastic vs. stainless steel, man?!?!
    If in doubt, go for leather!
    12-12-14 08:16 PM
    Reading all the negative comments about the hard case, I decided to experiment using electrical tape.

Wrapped all corners neatly.

The bottom corners one must go slight over the top to protect the top plastic lip.

On the top corners, I had to place the tape below the top edge. This is very important as having tape on all corners makes the case fit really tight like OJ Simpsons glove.

To put the case on, you must slide the bottom in. you need to apply some pressure to get it in. Once on, it fits great.

To install the top corners, push them on. Need some pressure. The pressure will cause some tape to slide up but if you have provided enough space between the top edge of the phone and the tape, it will all line up nice.

The result is a case that's on firm with no wobble and creaks. I actually like how it feels. Feels like it's glued in.

Best part, the phone is totally protected. No wear marks or rubs on the phones original finish.

Posted via CB10
    nglfmark likes this.
    12-12-14 08:52 PM
    My case damaged my phone. Scratched up the corners and the finish on one of the top corners has flaked off.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 03:53 AM
    Guys as the first poster suggested and I've verified, electrical tape is your friend. Just cut a 3/4" piece and put it over the corners. Cut the tape almost in half so you can fold it onto itself in the back side

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 10:04 AM
    No dents on mine after two and a half months.

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    12-13-14 11:48 AM
    Can you indicate what version of the case that you have? Perhaps the problem cases are limited to a specific revision.

My case says the following, and I have not experienced the problem. HDW-59325-001 Rev. 1 09/24/14
    Just got mine that has same numbers but the the date is 11/17/14. I'm scared to try it as the top clips seem to have a sharp edge.

Maybe I will try stuffing some tape under the clips as suggested above.
    01-06-15 09:15 PM
56 123