12-18-14 09:54 AM
62 123
tools
    Mine will occasionally screen jump all over the place whether it's cold or not, and it seems to think I have swiped down on the keyboard (but I have not), even if I put the device down flat and leave it alone it will continue to carry on as though I am swiping the keyboard in any which direction. Kinda annoying, and I have not found a consistent way to make it stop. Rebooting does not always make it go away. I have not yet abondonned the idea that maybe I am doing something wrong, but even as I have written this post, the squircle has appeared several times and tried to reposition the cursor in random places... I just soldier on for now.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 02:01 PM
    Well this is worrisome. It hasn't dropped below freezing for more than a few hrs in the GTA yet this year, but I'll be pretty pissed if my brand new phone which was designed an hour from Toronto doesn't work in the weather we have for 5 months of the year!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 04:59 PM
    Unlike some of you, this doesn't bother me much. Maybe I am pretty receptive to the idea that no electronics will work at their 100 percent given suboptimal temperatures. Heck my car gets less MPG in cold weather than warm, but I don't start a lemon proceedings.

As far as the performance of the keypad goes, I am more than happy with it. It work 99 percent of the time when I needed. Even if it doesn't work in the cold weather, it is not a deal breaker. It is a convenience that I can accept to a fail once in awhile. For the first generation, ground breaking feature in a mobile phone, I still give major kudos to BlackBerry. As long as they continue to improve upon it, I will continued to be more than satisfied BlackBerry customer.

Posted with my super duper BlackBerry Passport.
    Skyforever and Rene_Q10 like this.
    11-11-14 06:21 PM
    Also, if you happen to find the trackpad stop functioning all the sudden, try rubbing the traskpad gently with your thumbs all across the keyboard. It helped me a couple of times. This is probably due to some residual input left over from the previous use and the keypad is still registering as if the keypad is being touched.

11-11-14 06:27 PM
    I think all phones have problems in cold weather. Mi iPhone 5 would shut off if it got to cold, my z30 would just freeze and do nothing so I'm sure if it is -20 and your Pp isn't in your jacket I'm sure it will do the same thing. Electronics don't work in cold weather.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 06:43 PM
    Also, if you happen to find the trackpad stop functioning all the sudden, try rubbing the traskpad gently with your thumbs all across the keyboard. It helped me a couple of times. This is probably due to some residual input left over from the previous use and the keypad is still registering as if the keypad is being touched.

I had the same idea, sometimes it feels like that works and sometimes it really doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 10:58 PM
    I'm up north and a snowstorm just came in and have no problems

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 11:07 PM
    I will test mine in -20 c shortly and get back to everyone on my findings. then again I live not very far from bb home so I would expect decent results.
    11-11-14 11:28 PM
    Yup. I'm also experiencing this. It was around 5 degrees Celsius today when I noticed it.
    11-24-14 12:03 PM
    I have always taken my phones hiking. I use them to log my movements and take pictures.

I live in the vancouver area and I like to hit the alpines between Mt Seymour and Blacktusk as much as I can.

My passport has done the best out of all my phones with z30 coming in a close second.

Both of these phones handle moisture and cold weather very well in my opinion.

The track pad on the passport will run into problems when moisture from your cold hands gets under the keyboard and between the keys. If that moisture freezes, your going to triple your troubles.

What makes the passport tops in my book, is that (mine at least) still responds to touch and typing even in these temperatures and moist conditions. I had to replace three keyboards on my old Bold for this exact reason.

At least the passport springs back to life with shorting out the components after everything dries out and warms up.

Also, depending on your own physiology.. less blood and moisture on the fingers will detract from the ability of the capacitive touch to pick up your finger clearly.

That being said. I went back country snow shoeing last year with my z30 and my friends android in the same compartment in the same backpack. Their phone was toast and mine was, and still is, purring like a kitten.

Passport | Fido
    11-24-14 01:19 PM
    Then my keyboard woes are probably not related to weather. Have not solved them yet.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 02:38 AM
    True. I suffered from it too. And it wasn't below Zero. If I'm not mistaken, it was around 3 degrees. The keyboard just went havoc and uncontrollable.
    12-01-14 10:53 AM
    I'm nowhere near weather that cold.

However, just this past week, I had some food crumbs that fell on the keyboard and I used a computer duster spray to clean it out. That spray does generate some freezing air. Immediately after, I tried the keys and most keys were not registering at all!

At first I was regretting using the spray. After a minute or so, all keys were working normal again!

So, I can see that in really cold weather you may have a legitimate issue here!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 12:42 PM
    hasn't gone below zero here, but I notice it is misbehaving a little outdoors. To be honest though, I don't find myself using the capacitive keyboard that much anyway - I think it really needs a sensitivity adjustment somehwere in the settings. I wonder if that will come?
    12-01-14 01:21 PM
    Are you sure it's not getting worse as your FINGERS get colder? capacitive touch things often don't work as well when fingers are in cold weather, because they tend to be super dry also.

and if you are using those gloves for touch screens, they are made for touch screens, and probably cause absolute chaos a capacitive touch-enabled keyboard.

That being said, maybe a way they can compensate (somewhat) for the change in software, who knows.
    12-01-14 01:35 PM
    I was just waiting on the plattform for the train to arrive, roughly -2 degrees Celsius here and typing with the Passport was a poor experience at best. Randomly deleted words, inserted characters and other weird behaviour. Now inside where it's warm, everything works well again.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 10:52 PM
    Mine goes crazy all the time in any weather. I really hope they include a setting to disable the keyboard's ability to do anything other than type, cause this is driving me crazy. Gonna start making videos to demonstrate how silly it behaves.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 11:23 AM
    So this is what it does on mine. If anyone has any ideas to solve, please share. I have already tried:
    - turn off screen and mash all keys (works half the time, but never permanent)
    - gently make contact with entire keyboard (works less than half the time, but never permanent)
    - press the screen to stop the weirdness (works but is an annoyance as it retasks an otherwise available finger and moves whole hand out of optimal operating position)
    - reboot device (works half the time but never permanent

Anyway, on the videos. The one of the BBM Feeds while holding the device has some eye candy for some of the guys (and maybe some of the gals too).

12-06-14 05:44 PM
    I have only had this issue when I haven't cleaned my keyboard that day. I use alcohol wipes (from costco) every morning on my entire device. Since doing this I have had zero problems

8310 -> 9800 -> 9900 -> Q10 -> Z30 -> Passport ftw
    anon(870071) likes this.
    12-06-14 05:49 PM
    I have only had this issue when I haven't cleaned my keyboard that day. I use alcohol wipes (from costco) every morning on my entire device. Since doing this I have had zero problems

8310 -> 9800 -> 9900 -> Q10 -> Z30 -> Passport ftw
    I'll give it a shot.... (though they won't be form Costco as there is no Costco here...)
    12-06-14 06:10 PM
    I had this happen, it was weird but it didn't last long. I just closed hit the top button and unlocked and it seemed to work fine after that.
    12-06-14 06:45 PM
    Maybe future software updates can use the phones internal temperature sensor to register temperatures and when it drops below a certain temperature the touch de activates itself . That would be cool.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 09:25 PM
    So this is what it does on mine. If anyone has any ideas to solve, please share. I have already tried:
    - turn off screen and mash all keys (works half the time, but never permanent)
    - gently make contact with entire keyboard (works less than half the time, but never permanent)
    - press the screen to stop the weirdness (works but is an annoyance as it retasks an otherwise available finger and moves whole hand out of optimal operating position)
    - reboot device (works half the time but never permanent

Anyway, on the videos. The one of the BBM Feeds while holding the device has some eye candy for some of the guys (and maybe some of the gals too).

You have a ghost playing with your Passport!

Kidding aside. Lock your screen and go back. You may have a loose wire somewhere...
    12-06-14 09:34 PM
    One thing happens when it is cold and dry is the change in body electrical charge. It is not that cold here, only about 7 degree, but I got electric shock all the time. Touching the handle to open the car door, touch any metal thing, undress a woolen piece, and so on. Needless to say that the touch devices would be like mad when I use them. I was afraid that I might fry one of them one of these days. The car is always the worst because I could never be ready enough for it. Kissing is full of surprise and my little daughter refuse my kiss in the winter.
    Solution:
    - Earth yourselves.
    - Moist your hands well with a moisturiser, or wash them before touching any metal. In my case, got to take care of the face as well for my little girl.

But that's my experience. May not be what you are having.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 11:28 PM
    My main office is in Midwest USA, so far no issue on this.

Posted via CB10 with BlackBerry PP
    12-07-14 04:45 AM
62 123