I'm ready to make a switch from iOS to Blackberry after Apple's latest update slashed the memory available for a decent browsing experience. I use LDS Tools and the Gospel Library app very regularly on my iPhone. How do those apps look on a Blackberry Passport?

What does it mean an app becoming unsupported? Does this mean if the developer stops updating, OS updates with render the last version unusable, or vice versa?
    04-22-16 09:34 PM
    The native app experience that ships with BB10 is less than ideal (to put it nicely). There is a very outdated Android port of Gospel Library in BlackBerry World and LDS Tools is not available. However, you should be able to get both apps via the Amazon Appstore which comes bundled with the BB10 OS.

I don't have a Passport (yet), but both apps work fine on my Q10.

If you're feeling very adventurous, there is a way to get the Google Play Store running in BB10 and even Google Play Services - although it takes too much work for the average smartphone user to bother with it.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    04-22-16 10:07 PM
    I have no issues at all with either Gospel Library or Ward Tools downloaded straight from BlackBerry World. I guess there are some features in iOS or Android Ward Tools not found in the BlackBerry 10 version, but I only suppose this from the dev's comments in BlackBerry World.

The BlackBerry 10 Gospel Library is everything I could ask for! I was VERY happy to see it show up.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    04-23-16 08:14 AM
    There is a very outdated Android port of Gospel Library in BlackBerry World and LDS Tools is not available.
    Interesting. I have a fully-functional Gospel Library on my Passport SE, version 3.1.0.1. It seems to be a native BlackBerry 10 app (it says "...for BlackBerry 10), dev is "LDS Church," and it's downloaded from BlackBerry World.

I also have a Ward Tools downloaded from BlackBerry World, but the dev (SCrApps) writes it's "an unofficial app intended to replace the traditional LDS Ward Tools not available as a native BlackBerry 10 app."

I have a Passport SE, and there are some differences in what's available in BlackBerry World for the Passport and other BlackBerry 10 phones, but I can't imagine Gospel Library and Ward Tools aren't there for other devices. I could fire up my Z30 and see.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    04-23-16 08:28 AM
    Interesting. I have a fully-functional Gospel Library on my Passport SE, version 3.1.0.1. It seems to be a native BlackBerry 10 app (it says "...for BlackBerry 10), dev is "LDS Church," and it's downloaded from BlackBerry World.

I also have a Ward Tools downloaded from BlackBerry World, but the dev (SCrApps) writes it's "an unofficial app intended to replace the traditional LDS Ward Tools not available as a native BlackBerry 10 app."

I have a Passport SE, and there are some differences in what's available in BlackBerry World for the Passport and other BlackBerry 10 phones, but I can't imagine Gospel Library and Ward Tools aren't there for other devices. I could fire up my Z30 and see.

The version of Gospel Library in BB World is an Android port. BB allowed devs to port their Android apps for distribution through BB World. It uses the Android Runtime to run. It hasn't been updated in some time, so it is missing some features of the latest Android version, but it still works.

Ward Tools, being a 3rd party app, doesn't have the same features as the official LDS Tools app.

I recommend downloading both official apps via the Amazon Appstore. They run great and are up to date.
    04-23-16 08:36 AM
    I recommend downloading both official apps via the Amazon Appstore. They run great and are up to date.
    I would do that if the Amazon Appstore didn't require so many permissions over which I'm allowed no control. I have an iPad Mini with no personal information on it that I use for movies on long flights and apps I need and can't get on BlackBerry World. Actually, there's only one app on the iPad that didn't come with it and that I use: NHL GameCenter isn't supported for BlackBerry anymore.

You're right: The Gospel Library in BlackBerry World doesn't say "Built for BlackBerry;" however, it works just fine for me. I can't imagine what it's missing that would possibly motivate me to enable Amazon's Appstore on my phone.

04-23-16 10:00 AM
    Are these the same apps that can be directly downloaded from the Church website? Looks like 2013 was the last stable for LDS Tools. https://www.lds.org/pages/mobileapps...berry?lang=eng

Thanks a lot. If I had to pick one, it would be Ward/LDS Tools. Ward lists change enough to accidentally miss some contacts. The iPhone app is nice in it requires updating every few weeks (more often than the missionaries reprint their list, haha) so a list is rarely outdated.

Is the Internet browser on the Passport is fast and intuitive enough to forgo an app and use Lds dot org directly?
    04-23-16 11:51 AM