When I first saw the passport it hit me that it looked pretty close to one of the earliest blackberries.

Rim 857

Anyone else notice the similarities-rim857.jpg
    Anyone else notice the similarities-passport_advanced.jpg

They slicked the hell out of it and gave it more screen real estate.

But it's pretty similar

I can't help but think of a good marketing campaign.

Video in

Video * video images of all blackberry devices beginning at 857 through z30"

Audio -" in 2002 we put a definition to the word smartphone. And since then we've been adapting to help you achieve maximum productivity.

All the while looking forward for the next best form factor.

Video * last few devices then hold on z30

Audio - "But what if it got it right the first time? "

Video * fast reverse zoom of device in reverse order
    Stopping on 857 *

Video * morphing 857 to passport

Audio-"some things can be compromised, productivity can't be one of them "

Video *finish on shot of high res passport up close- flash to blackberry logo black screen *

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 06:17 PM
    Yes very similar. The Passport is all about productivity. Period.
    07-09-14 06:27 PM
    Amazingly beautiful. Both.

Thanks for a great comparison. Let's hope the history repeats itself.
    jcarlos100 likes this.
    07-09-14 06:55 PM
    "some things can be compromised, productivity can't be one of them "

Like this quote a lot.

Posted via CB10
    austriker likes this.
    07-09-14 07:42 PM

Like this quote a lot.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree more w/ the quote or the OP's post. Very well done.

BleedBlk-

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 08:18 PM
    looks the most like the 8800
    Abrar0z likes this.
    07-09-14 08:28 PM
    I agree with you op comparing the rim857 and passport.. just like chen said they are going back to their roots..

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 02:39 PM
    Brilliant video idea. Also there are a lot similar app icons between the two phones as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 02:49 PM
    Yes very similar. The Passport is all about productivity. Period.
    Have a think about how easy/quick you'll be able to type symbols/numbers on this device and rethink this statement. This device is not for productivity.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 04:35 PM
    I couldn't agree more w/ the quote or the OP's post. Very well done.

BleedBlk-

Posted via CB10
    Which is funny because compromising on productivity is EXACTLY what they've done with this keyboard design.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 04:36 PM
    Which is funny because compromising on productivity is EXACTLY what they've done with this keyboard design.

Posted via CB10
    Here we go again -_- for real though, why don't you just go to the Classic forum.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-10-14 04:38 PM
    Have a think about how easy/quick you'll be able to type symbols/numbers on this device and rethink this statement. This device is not for productivity.

Posted via CB10
    To be honest I havent used the device but BlackBerry is not like Samsung, Apple, or many other phone manufacturers. Blackberry builds devices with productivity and efficient as the foundation. Im confident the placement of symbols and numbers on the screen will help you type quickly and effectively.
    Blackberries arent pretty but they're the best at getting the job done.
    07-10-14 04:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    How many symbols do you typically need?
    Personally, I only really use the following.
    ,.'?!$()*&_#

Few enough to fit on one extra row on the screen.
    And really, I usually only need the following 95% of the time.
    ,.?*

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    07-10-14 04:59 PM
    Be there in 15 mins
    I'm running 10 mins late
    Are you there?
    Readings are at 50%
    @twitter
    Charges $10 bucks

I dunno, that's a lot of things I say and at times where I need t9 bang them out fast. This is a lap phone, not a daily driver.
    I freakin love the design. I'm definitely getting the phone. I just disagree with this keyboard layout. It sux

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-10-14 05:24 PM
    How many symbols do you typically need?
    Personally, I only really use the following.
    ,.'?!$()*&_#

Few enough to fit on one extra row on the screen.
    And really, I usually only need the following 95% of the time.
    ,.?*

Posted via CB10
    On the Passport you'll actually need more than just those, you'll need the following:

#?!,."';-_()*1234567890

Try fitting all of those on the 4th contextual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 06:10 PM
    On the Passport you'll actually need more than just those, you'll need the following:

#?!,."';-_()*1234567890

Posted via CB10
    Because you'll need to type more symbols on a passport?

He's saying that during his typical use those are the symbols he uses the most.

Quite frankly - if you are in excel spreadsheets all day long so that you will actually need the full virtual keyboard up all the time - you should probably be using a laptop anyway.

I don't think most people will find it an issue based on their typical use. I'm looking forward to having the symbols I use the most immediately accessible on the virtual contextual row.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 06:37 PM

Like this quote a lot.

Posted via CB10
    So much better than "tools not toys".

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 06:42 PM
    Because you'll need to type more symbols on a passport?

He's saying that during his typical use those are the symbols he uses the most.

Quite frankly - if you are in excel spreadsheets all day long so that you will actually need the full virtual keyboard up all the time - you should probably be using a laptop anyway.

I don't think most people will find it an issue based on their typical use. I'm looking forward to having the symbols I use the most immediately accessible on the virtual contextual row.

Posted via CB10
    Because you don't have any other option other than the virtual keyboard to input all numbers (including strings of numbers) and symbols. Regardless of what he commonly uses, he'll be bringing up the full virtual keyboard 100 times more often than on a fully featured QWERTY keyboard; because there is no way to so on the hardware keyboard.

I have no doubt that there's an endless supply of people who would be more than happy and willing to accept and use (and even love) a crippled product. Look at how successful the first iPhone was and that thing couldn't even send/receive MMS.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 07:11 PM
    Because you don't have any other option other than the virtual keyboard to input all numbers (including strings of numbers) and symbols. Regardless of what he commonly uses, he'll be bringing up the full virtual keyboard 100 times more often than on a fully featured QWERTY keyboard; because there is no way to so on the hardware keyboard.

I have no doubt that there's an endless supply of people who would be more than happy and willing to accept and use (and even love) a crippled product. Look at how successful the first iPhone was and that thing couldn't even send/receive MMS.

Posted via CB10
    What I am willing to accept is the fact that BlackBerry makes the best keyboards in the world. Both physical and virtual. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt therefore and believe that this keyboard is as good as they say it is, at least until I actually get to try it.

I have a lot less faith and belief in people who 'just know' it will be 'crippled' by looking at it.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 10:09 PM
    looks the most like the 8800
    I think so as well. I think it's the squareness of the device along with the silver frets and sides.
    07-10-14 10:18 PM
    What I am willing to accept is the fact that BlackBerry makes the best keyboards in the world. Both physical and virtual. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt therefore and believe that this keyboard is as good as they say it is, at least until I actually get to try it.

I have a lot less faith and belief in people who 'just know' it will be 'crippled' by looking at it.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't say I wouldn't give it a try; but I don't believe anything anyone tells me until it's either proven by myself or there's hard scientific proof depending on the context.

All I'm doing is voicing what any truly productive QWERTY keyboard user sees when looking at the Passport. The type of user such as myself who depends on the efficiency of the QWERTY keyboard to be truly productive and successful in my work. And so far everything show is a regression in productivity regarding the QWERTY keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 10:24 PM
    Amazing thought and script for a commercial OP!
    07-10-14 10:32 PM

#?!,."';-_()*1234567890

Posted via CB10
    I never use the semi colon or the dash.
    As for the numbers, you will have another row pop up. Just like on the Z10 or Z30.
    07-10-14 10:37 PM
    I never use the semi colon or the dash.
    As for the numbers, you will have another row pop up. Just like on the Z10 or Z30.
    The point is that they shouldn't have to, that's one of the entire points of having physical QWERTY keyboard keys.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 10:38 PM
    The point is that they shouldn't have to, that's one of the entire points of having physical QWERTY keyboard keys.

Posted via CB10
    So go get a Classic...........

Z10 STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    aminrajabi and austriker like this.
    07-10-14 10:47 PM
32 12