Wow. Feedback for the passport keyboard here in this thread has been great.

But honestly though, most of you said that it's really easy to adapt to -- but what I'd really want to know is do you think it's better than having the four rows?

I'm curious because I've been arguing with myself for the longest time if it's worth it to replace my Z30 with the passport. I'm really convinced that a passport with 4 rows of keys (with alt and symbols) would've been much better and more efficient; plus the screen real estate would not be compromised with an on-screen keyboard just specifically for symbols.

This is coming from someone who's been using a bold series phone for work email for roughly 5 years and is now enjoying a Z30.

Thanks in advance for your replies, CB family

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:14 AM
    When i first saw the three row keyboard i thought it would be hard to get used to. It only took a couple days and i love it now. Much more efficient use of space.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:21 AM
    Wow. Feedback for the passport keyboard here in this thread has been great.

But honestly though, most of you said that it's really easy to adapt to -- but what I'd really want to know is do you think it's better than having the four rows?

I'm curious because I've been arguing with myself for the longest time if it's worth it to replace my Z30 with the passport. I'm really convinced that a passport with 4 rows of keys (with alt and symbols) would've been much better and more efficient; plus the screen real estate would not be compromised with an on-screen keyboard just specifically for symbols.

This is coming from someone who's been using a bold series phone for work email for roughly 5 years and is now enjoying a Z30.

Thanks in advance for your replies, CB family

Posted via CB10
    Having to hold down Alt + a button breaks the typing flow for me. Swiping to get symbols is less of an interruption.
    12-29-14 12:21 AM
    I love it! Genius and most awesome innovation BlackBerry has ever created in history!

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    vptsff likes this.
    12-29-14 12:51 AM
    Works well for me. You want the keys to be a little stiff at first so that when they wear a bit they don't lose all the clickyness. I think this is something very intentional by BlackBerry.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    12-29-14 12:56 AM
    No it doesn't. In the browser the keyboard can only help you scroll.
    That's too bad. The 3-row keyboard seems like a fantastic new feature, but relatively lacking in utilizing its touch capacity outside of typing gestures. Hopefully BlackBerry can take better advantage of the touch capabilities in future software updates.

Rockin' the Z(ed)10!
    12-29-14 01:26 AM
    The only problem I see is with BlackBerry coming up with different keyboards on different devices. I am one of those who buys a new device and switch between them for various uses often. The only reason I have not bought a Passport is its 3-row keyboard, not because it is not great or anything, just because I also carry a Q10 and have ordered a Classic to replace it as a daily driver (both have a good form factor). I would like to use the Passport at home for web browsing, but am afraid I might have a problem switching between the 3 and 4 row keyboards daily and not get confused (muscle memory). I wish Passport had a standard 4-row keyboard, like all other BB10 phones!
    12-29-14 01:29 AM
    I love it think its the best ..............have to admit tho I also thought as you did but im glad I was wrong
    12-29-14 01:29 AM
    Depends. For just writing? Doesn't really make too much of a difference, but having the punctuation be where it is is awkward until you get used to it.

However, for some less traditional things -- controlling a computer with a remote desktop client, re-mapping keyboard keys in android for non-supported languages, and some other things, it's way more convenient to have a full keyboard, and I would have liked it if they had included the 4th row personally.
    12-29-14 02:01 AM
    Not sure if it can be called love, but one thing I can say for sure. After Passport's keyboard I find it almost impossible to type on Q10. It just feels awkward and clumsy. So, yeah, I guess it's love afterall. LOL
    12-29-14 02:57 AM
    I disliked it. Not my cup of tea. I got a touch screen.
    12-29-14 03:48 AM
    I thought I would not be able to adapt to the keyboard, but after being on the passport for a while now, I find myself liking the three rows and the larger keys. I had a hell of a time with the tiny keys on the Q10, but I love typing on the passport.

I was going to sell my passport to get the new Classic, but decided to keep it until I can actually get a Classic into my hands to see how the keyboard compares to the one on the passport. Since the Classic is only available online here in the USA, it might be a while before I can see one in the wild.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-29-14 04:10 AM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Love it!!

Takes time initially to adjust...

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 04:20 AM
    I'm all for it. I got into a huge argument with a Bold holdout and now-classic owner (I guess it did work!) about whether the traditional keyboard with the alt and shift and no gestures is more efficient. He was stubbornly of the opinion that it is, but I disagree! This keyboard is a breeze, and the changing virtual fourth row a godsend, and the gestures super zippy and the flick to type a blessing when it comes to those longer words you'd rather not pound out.
    I'm in your friends camp.

Shift and Alt key is more efficient but open to being convinced otherwise

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 04:27 AM
    Love it love it love it!

Initially I thought BlackBerry lost it, but after trying it actually I prefer it to the 4 row!

On the other hand, BlackBerry needs to expand on the touch aspect of the keyboard, should ultimately function like the classic trackpad!

Passport Powered
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-29-14 04:34 AM
    I always touch the touch keys on the fourth row, so I get a lot of capital letters, comas and semi-columns.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Passport
    12-29-14 04:53 AM
    After a few weeks I kind of got used to using the 3 row keyboard, but to be honest, I prefer the Q10's 4 rows. I don't like touching and pressing mixed up together and I keep hitting Z when I want to use shift. When I have to enter numbers, it's never the same display version; sometimes its 3x3 with small or big font, sometimes it's a small row. I haven't been able to use the swipe down or up to get numbers or select words. I'd rather just type everything out. Maybe I should consider getting the Classic as well...
    12-29-14 05:07 AM
    It is! So used to it that I now struggle to type on my Q10 keyboard. The keys are perfectly spaced out — it’s just so comfortable. Just go for it — you’ll not regret it.
    geekaren likes this.
    12-29-14 05:08 AM
    Having to hold down Alt + a button breaks the typing flow for me. Swiping to get symbols is less of an interruption.
    This ^^

Like the OP, I thought Blackberry designers were "out there" when I first saw the Passport keyboard. Now, I prefer it to the 4-row keyboard layout.
    12-29-14 06:23 AM
    OP

Same here! BlackBerry did out of box regarding 3 row and touch sensitive keyboard

A Happy Passport User....
    geekaren likes this.
    12-29-14 06:42 AM
    It's a great keyboard.

I was a staunch defender of virtual kb when I had my Z10 and Z30

But I've never enjoyed typing as much and as error free as I am with PP.

The virtual rows work great too. No probs...

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 likes this.
    12-29-14 07:02 AM
    Over time the stiffness of the keys will soften up, I type a lot and already feeling it loosen abit and quieter too. 3 row keyboard was the best thing to happen on the passport aside from the wide screen. I love it.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-29-14 07:12 AM
    loving the three rows. the stiff part goes with times
    12-29-14 07:35 AM
    Bit stiff, but way better build quality than even bold.

I curse myself for going note 3 instead of z30 last year glad to be back on passport.

Z10 battery before 10.2.1 was crap but w.e

The build quality on passport and z30 is just perfect.
    12-29-14 07:39 AM
    Love it. I was always a fan of the classic keys, and although the Passport keys are shaped differently, they still feel really well. So much so that I actually try to type as much as I can on my device as opposed to doing things like taking voice notes.

What I don't like is the Virtual Keyboard. It's kind of bothersome. When typing on an email field for example, it's phenomenal as you get quick access to the 'at' and . keys. However, try typing a message where you need to use numbers and %, and you break your flow of typing. Would be great if BB gave us the ability to change virtual keyboard layouts so that we can choose if we always want the numbers to show up as an additional layer of keys, or whatever other customization options others would like. I also prefer my numbers to be lined up horizontally in one row, rather than the current layout which is all on one side.

So I was hesitant at first, seeing as it was missing the alt keys, and the ability to input numbers from the keyboard itself (something that should be added in a future OS update), it's a phenomenal keyboard. All my gripes with it are on the software side of things!
    12-29-14 07:59 AM
85 1234