During heated typing of emails or text messages I'll sometimes have my thumb or thumbnail get caught between the fret and a key on the keyboard. So far all of my keys are still solidly attached, but I'm worried that I'll pop a key off.

Anyone else have this problem from time to time? Are the keyboards easily replaceable if I do somehow manage to rip a key off?
    01-29-15 10:24 AM
    Just curious, are you a female by any chance? (long nails maybe?)

I am a man and do not have this issue...
    01-29-15 11:08 AM
    I am a female and have very long, natural nails but have had no issues with my nails/fingers getting caught on or between the keys.

Perhaps the OP has artificial/acrylic nails which are causing the problem?

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    vibhorsingh86 likes this.
    01-29-15 11:14 AM
    LOL sorry everyone. I should have stated that I'm a man with medium sized hand and I keep my nails trimmed pretty short.

It has only happened to me a few times, but when it does it throws me off. Maybe I just need to slow down with the typing...
    01-29-15 11:46 AM
    You're doing it wrong!

Next thing you know, people will be getting their hair stuck in their iPhones. Wait, that's already happened....
    moody and chgaida like this.
    01-29-15 11:55 AM
    During heated typing of emails or text messages I'll sometimes have my thumb or thumbnail get caught between the fret and a key on the keyboard. So far all of my keys are still solidly attached, but I'm worried that I'll pop a key off.

Anyone else have this problem from time to time? Are the keyboards easily replaceable if I do somehow manage to rip a key off?
    In all the years of using devices I've never come across a male having nail issues! Me personally never! When you type are you actually forcefully typing sohard that the edge of your nails is causing the key to lift!

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 11:55 AM
    Yeah...not so much. I just tried to reproduce the issue you described, and have come to the conclusion that you need to lay off the caffeine (hopefully, the stimulant is caffeine). LOL

Do you type with the tips of your thumbs at a really steep downward angle? I usually hit the highest point on the keys, so I would practically have to fire the keyboard through the back of the device to experience this.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    01-29-15 12:13 PM
    I type with the tips of my thumbs, yes. I type around 120 WPM on a regular keyboard, so I was probably getting too far ahead of myself and my thumbs got snagged.

I am loving the keyboard though, virtual keyboards on my old Android phones or my work iPhone 6 are total crap with horrible autocorrect. A physical keyboard is a little more strenuous on the thumbs but improves accuracy to about 95% vs. the maybe 40% I had on a virtual keyboard.
    01-29-15 12:30 PM
    Not here. I don't type with the tip of my thumbs straight down though.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 12:51 PM
    I type with the tips of my thumbs, yes. I type around 120 WPM on a regular keyboard, so I was probably getting too far ahead of myself and my thumbs got snagged.
    I do as well, but I am guessing that I hold the phone differently/hit the keys with a different part of the thumb than you do. At any rate, hope the keyboard holds it together!

Posted via BBCB10PP
    01-29-15 01:21 PM
    OP, I know exactly what you are talking about. It happens to me as well but very, very rarely and I feel that I'm about to snap the key off. Not sure what movement causes it and even if I attempt replicating it now, it won't happen.
    01-29-15 01:31 PM
    OP, I know exactly what you are talking about. It happens to me as well but very, very rarely and I feel that I'm about to snap the key off. Not sure what movement causes it and even if I attempt replicating it now, it won't happen.
    Yes, I too have tried to replicate it after it happened me each of the maybe 3 or 4 times. I run my fingers all over the keyboard, wiggle the keys, try touching them again, but I can't figure out how it's happening. I am happy the keyboard is still holding up, but I'm worried that I will break it one day.

Since I'm not looking at the keyboard it is entirely possible that my thumb is getting caught on the fret, if this is the case I doubt I'll do any damage.
    01-29-15 02:22 PM

When you say, "heated typing of emails or text messages ", are you referring to communication in anger? If so, try not being so angry when typing.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 04:52 PM
    Yeah we had a bad build keyboard. I experienced that also. Our fingernails stuck when we swipe our finger upward for prediction words. And our keyboard keys have big gap when we look closer upside down with our BlackBerry device. But eventually my keys got lessen the gap because of using it. I'm using my phone for 3 months already.

Posted via My Sexy and Bold Passport CB10
    01-29-15 06:44 PM
    I honestly keep my nails always trimmed because I type a lot faster when the nails aren't in the way. Even if just a little...

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 05:27 AM
    I've had this happen a few times (male with short fingernails here)

It would happen when I'm typing quickly and switching between letters next to each other (eg, typing I then O, I'll snag the side of the O as I is depressed and I'm moving to O)

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 06:35 AM
    I honestly keep my nails always trimmed because I type a lot faster when the nails aren't in the way. Even if just a little...

Posted via CB10
    Me too. I have it when my nails starts to hit the keys.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 02:02 AM
    Maybe you're pressing the keys with too much pressure. Try to go easy on it and the character will still register.
    01-31-15 02:16 AM
    I figured out what the problem was! My "F" and "G" keys wiggle around are not firmly seated in with the rest of the keyboard. They stick up and out a little bit. This explains why it happened only once in a while, and why I couldn't figure it out as I touched the keys.

Contacted Amazon, got a return label and I placed an order for one of their "like new" Warehouse Deal models that was $170 less than the one I originally bought. Even if the new one has wiggles, it was $170 less and will be easier for me to handle compared to a phone that was pushing $600 after tax.
    02-08-15 02:28 PM
    I got the warehouse deals phone a few days back, it was nowhere near "like new" condition. There were scratches on the side of the unit, on the volume keys, and the top keyboard fret was peeling up. Someone also loaded up a leaked firmware on it.

Amazon was able to price match another one to that low $399 price, just got it today and it's really in like new condition. This thing doesn't look like it was used at all, still had the plastic protectors and everything on it. Keyboard is PERFECT on this new one, no loose keys. Build date is 11/18 vs 10/30 like my original.

Overall I'm very happy. Going to get a perfect device for $170 less than I originally paid, can't beat that!
    02-12-15 04:32 PM
    My nails are to thick, doesn't fit in between.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 06:10 PM
    I'm a male with short trimmed nails(I get a manicure(hey why not? I have to wait for the wife anyways)). Can't say I've ever had this issue on any PKB device.
    02-12-15 06:19 PM
    Darlinks, it is just a ***** on the polish.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 11:25 PM