So I've had my Passport for almost 12 hours now and I'm a little underwhelmed. I was excited as all hell to get it and am coming from a Z10 so I'm by no means a BB hater.

The design is stunning, the build quality is top notch, and BB10.3 brings some much needed refinement.

However, I just don't see how I can be more productive on this than on my Z10. After only a few hours my hands are hurting from holding and typing on the passport. The keyboard is uncomfortable when having to reach towards the sides and with the auto correct, I can type faster on my Z10. Physical keys just aren't what they used to be now that we've all gotten well acquainted with on screen keyboards. The screen is beautiful, but I've already run into apps that don't quite work right. Even with the zoom in/out feature.

I'm going to give myself a few more days to see if it grows on me but I really don't think the passport is all it's cracked up to be. Do any other owners feel the same? Blackberrys virtual keyboard is so good that I'd much prefer an updated z10/z30. Or a slider. Dear Blackberry, please make a slider next. The Nokia E7 comes to mind as a true all around workhorse.
    09-30-14 12:50 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Nope.. i am loving my passport...no looking back at all, but it takes a few days of adjustment so be patient....

Formerly z10,q10,z30 / iphone 5

... rocking my amazing Passport

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-30-14 12:54 AM
    In agreement with Worldtraveller. Impression on the first day was too wide and I thought I'd be returning it. By Day 3 I'm acclimatized. It sure didn't take long.

I'm coming from a Z10. Loved the virtual keyboard but frustrated with having to review my messages for errors. No more. Accuracy is where it was with my 9900 2 years ago. And that's what I missed.

Now I've got a screen significantly better than what coaxed me to the Z10 and the accuracy I missed in a great keyboard.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-14 01:20 AM
    You need more than 12 hours dude!

Former Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    09-30-14 01:24 AM
    I felt the same way when I got mine, coming from a Q10. Today I finally felt like I was getting accustomed to the layout, hang in there.
    09-30-14 01:39 AM
    You need to find that sweet spot, where you can hold it with comfort.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-30-14 01:40 AM
    You holding it wrong. Try and relax.
    09-30-14 02:39 AM
    I can understand. It's a different device and I think most of us are going to have to make adjustments.

Hope it works out for you, but if it doesn't don't feel bad. At the end of the day you need to go with what works for YOU.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-30-14 02:49 AM
    My Passport is so much more than I thought it would be. It's like the perfect blend of my Q10 and Z30. You just have to spend a few days on it. I've found that swiping down to bring up the menu of symbols is the fastest way to bring them up, and it trains me to keep my fingers on the keyboard.

I've had mine since Thursday and it's been amazing so far.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:59 AM
    You know..... I got this phone with a little fear in me.

I did make a post (not to self-plug) where I said that typing on this phone is like learning to play the drums. I've never played the drums... ever, but after typing on the passport, I'm certain the experience is identical.

I say give it a little while and try out all the little tricks with the keyboard. There's lots of different swipes I didn't anticipate and I find my self tunnel visioned with old typing expections; as in not upswiping words or down-swiping for extra keys.

The double tap for the cursor makes a big difference too.

If you really don't like it though, don't torture yourself. Get a classic and continue to love the Berry.

Passport || Fido
    09-30-14 03:54 AM
    Yeah I echo what everyone else has said really. I was in the same boat as you when I got it. I just thought the device was too big, not comfortable and difficult to type on. Now that I've had the device for 6 days nearly, I'm completely in love.

I type just as fast as I did on my Q10, the phone size doesn't even feel big anymore as silly as it sounds, it's all just become normal to me.

Keep at it, and if it isn't for you after 3-4 days then you know to return it and get something that is more suited to your taste.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:02 AM
    No Passport yet for me. But in the history of owning phones; iPhones, Blackberries, Samsungs and 1 HTC....I never felt comfortable with a new device until post 4-5 days of use. I would personally give it longer.
    howards likes this.
    09-30-14 05:23 AM
    Love everything about it except for the space key. Have to push it twice as hard and feels worn. Other than that perfect and it can only get better!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:17 AM
    My jaw dropped when the Telus guy opened the box. Even after seeing all of the pics that I could find and even cutting out a piece of cardboard to judge the size (sad isn't it?) , it didn't prepare me for its size.

I had buyers remorse all the way home. I couldn't imagine how I would function with a device this big. I was thinking that I would have to change a lot of my habits in order to accommodate the Passport. Constantly whipping out the device to satisfy my urges of checking messages and surfing the news seemed like it would be a burden.

15 to 20 minutes of straight playing with the device changed all that. It wasn't all that bad. Fast forward to the next day and I couldn't put this beast down. I now check and play with the device even more than my Z10 which I bought on the first day it was available. It's incredibly addictive and I can honestly say that I love the Passport. I never realized how much I missed the physical keyboard.

This device isn't for everyone but it sure changed my opinion on it. I don't regret making the upgrade at all.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    09-30-14 07:42 AM
    I love my passport. That's all there is to it. No mixed feelings, no doubts, nothing.
    09-30-14 07:44 AM
    My Passport is so much more than I thought it would be. It's like the perfect blend of my Q10 and Z30. You just have to spend a few days on it. I've found that swiping down to bring up the menu of symbols is the fastest way to bring them up, and it trains me to keep my fingers on the keyboard.
    I've had mine since Thursday and it's been amazing so far.
    Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the tip, this will help with productivity.
    09-30-14 07:46 AM
    I do have mixed feelings. Do I like it or love it? I don't know if it is ok to love an inanimate object.

Brought to you by...My sweet Passport
    09-30-14 10:08 AM
    Give it a few more days otherwise get a classic when it comes out in November

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    09-30-14 12:36 PM
    I am absolutely in love with this phone! It is the perfect phone to run my business, has all the apps I need. Yes, I am re learning how to type on it, but it is so worth it!! I can access my business and personal notes in Evernote, create spreadsheets on the fly as I need and still keep in touch with everyone on social media, without straining my eyes on a smaller screen or switching to a tablet. And best of all I know all my info is secure!

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-30-14 12:48 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone, it's good to hear that other people have had similar experiences but got used to it. I think amazon has a 30 day return policy (though I'm not positive if it's good for unlocked phones) so I'll give it another week. I didn't feel much better about it today, but my Z10 is looking smaller and smaller as time goes on. I think it will come down to if I can make the keyboard work for me and find a comfortable way to hold the phone for longer periods of time. We shall see!
    09-30-14 08:19 PM