10-20-14 11:43 PM
72 123
tools
    I purchased the Passport 48hrs ago and can't wait for BlackBerry to release the Passport Plus (3.5 wide x 4 high).

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 11:34 AM
    Today I hope to make it to Futureshop and touch my first PP. Chen showed during the launch demo how the PP is exactly the same size as a real Canadian passport, so I've been walking around the house holding my real passport in order to be ready for when shopblackberry has more in stock.
    My hands are ready and in top form for my first touch later today....
    10-11-14 11:43 AM
    I finally found and tried out a Passport at a Telus store last night.

The size would definitely take some getting used to but what a nice piece of hardware. I have big hands so I tried using with one hand and it's doable but hard for sure.

I think I will go back and play again in a week or 2. Want to make sure it for me before I buy.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 11:50 AM
    I finally found and tried out a Passport at a Telus store last night.

The size would definitely take some getting used to but what a nice piece of hardware. I have big hands so I tried using with one hand and it's doable but hard for sure.

I think I will go back and play again in a week or 2. Want to make sure it for me before I buy.

Posted via CB10
    You get used to handling it after a short while until it feels amazing. It's the storage that irks me. Try it in your pockets and see how you like it.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 12:05 PM
    I bought my Passport hoping to get rid of my laptop, tablet, and Z30.
    I was looking for a mobile laptop first and foremost so that I do not need to carry two or three devices when I travel.

I think I can do that now.

I would never buy a Q10 or a Classic because I need my device for presentations, email, text editing and real engineering work but also for watching soccer and live TV when on the road and bored in an airport.

Hopefully I can open design files and simulate circuits and devices remotely connected to my work computer using it. For that I need a good and secure X11 forwarding app from BlackBerry. JuiceSSH is an android app but not secure.

The only thing that is not that great on the Passport is that the screen size when live streaming is smaller than both on z30 and the Playbook, of course.

Typing is not faster than on Z30 but it is more precise and the keyboard has very nice features (I did not care about a hard keyboard when I bought it).

The Z30 feels tiny after picking up the Passport.
    Overall, the Passport is a great device, definitely better reception, processor speed, camera resolution.
    The RF transceiver sensitivity, processor speed and antenna gain matter if you live stream and you are in weak signal areas. I don't care for Netflix. That's watching yesterday's news and movies.

The real test of a high end phone is live streaming high quality HDMI sports or news while in a car driving at 50-80 km/hour or next you your microwave oven in the kitchen.

Try that with an iphone.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 01:48 PM
    People make such a big deal about the size. It has no problems fitting into any pockets, in fact it fits perfectly into men's dress shirt front pockets and doesn't stick awkwardly out like and iPhone would. Once you get hooked on the huge screen everything else seems archaic.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    10-11-14 02:05 PM
    Today I hope to make it to Futureshop and touch my first PP. Chen showed during the launch demo how the PP is exactly the same size as a real Canadian passport, so I've been walking around the house holding my real passport in order to be ready for when shopblackberry has more in stock.
    My hands are ready and in top form for my first touch later today....
    I made one out of cardboard and carried it around for a week before the launch. Everyone made fun of me, but it served it's purposed.

Posted via CB10
    marzfreerider likes this.
    10-15-14 11:55 AM
    Happy to say, as a sales representative I liked being able to leave my laptop back in my office when carrying a tablet worked just about as well.

Now, even better, I can get through the day with only my Passport instead of a tablet.

The short learning curve was a small price to pay in return for the portability and efficiency.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 12:43 PM
    i didn't get used to the size. just felt ridiculous up against my face when using it is a phone. returned it to shopbb uk for a refund.
    10-15-14 12:43 PM
    Coming from the Z family of devices,now i`m use to the Passport after a good couple of weeks to break it in plus my rubber case came yesterday via post which makes the passport more secure to hold,funny when i first got the Z30 i thought that was big now when i grab the Z30 it seems small.
    10-15-14 01:12 PM
    Love the size. It's perfect. Fits snug in shirt pocket which is good so it doesn't fall out as easily!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:38 PM
    I'm feeling patriotic. I want pentagon.
    Hexagon?

Nuts to that, I want my irregular heptagon!
    10-15-14 04:48 PM
    I bought my Passport hoping to get rid of my laptop, tablet, and Z30.
    I was looking for a mobile laptop first and foremost so that I do not need to carry two or three devices when I travel.

I think I can do that now.

I would never buy a Q10 or a Classic because I need my device for presentations, email, text editing and real engineering work but also for watching soccer and live TV when on the road and bored in an airport.

Hopefully I can open design files and simulate circuits and devices remotely connected to my work computer using it. For that I need a good and secure X11 forwarding app from BlackBerry. JuiceSSH is an android app but not secure.

The only thing that is not that great on the Passport is that the screen size when live streaming is smaller than both on z30 and the Playbook, of course.

Typing is not faster than on Z30 but it is more precise and the keyboard has very nice features (I did not care about a hard keyboard when I bought it).

The Z30 feels tiny after picking up the Passport.
    Overall, the Passport is a great device, definitely better reception, processor speed, camera resolution.
    The RF transceiver sensitivity, processor speed and antenna gain matter if you live stream and you are in weak signal areas. I don't care for Netflix. That's watching yesterday's news and movies.

The real test of a high end phone is live streaming high quality HDMI sports or news while in a car driving at 50-80 km/hour or next you your microwave oven in the kitchen.

Try that with an iphone.

Posted via CB10
    I remember when people were ready to toss their laptop when the ipad was first released. I also remember people that actually DID. It's a pipe dream. Yes, we may use our devices for Web browsing, email and communication, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty I don't see anyone being able to use it as a full fledged computer. Smartphones don't move as fluidly as a wired/wireless mouse do. Simple things like COPY and PASTE take longer, no matter how fast you are with your phone. You can't have two windows opened up right next to eachother so that you can transfer information.

Smartphones are not ready to replace full fledged computers. I mean, tablets are JUST breaking into that now with the Microsoft Surface 3. Even then, I've had a Microsoft Surface before and you NEED a flat "surface" to use the keyboard. You can't actually use your "lap" and be as efficient.

I'm not claiming that you can't use your device the ways you want to. I'm just stating that Smartphones aren't made to be as efficient for that type of use yet. You can do whatever you want no one is stopping you. Just my opinion.

Posted via Q10RR
    EagleEyes11 and mhw100 like this.
    10-16-14 07:33 AM
    So update. After 3 weeks with my phone, not only am I used to the size but when I picked up my Z10 and Q10, I could not believe how small and light they were. They almost felt like dummy phones and the screens feel so small and cramped. I love everything about the Passport!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 10:23 AM
    Agree with Greevan - my old Q looks so small - it took about a day or so to be totally used to the size. Just got a Passport yesterday for my fianc (iphone 4S user) and she loves it already!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 10:47 AM
    Been using Passport since launch and already typing just as well as I was with my Q10 with the exception when I have to use the virtual keys. The screen grew on me and now I find it be small.

Where is Passport 2???? I want my 10 inch hexagon!

Posted via CB10
    Don't you mean irregular heptagon?

I've also gotten used to everything except the virtual keys, particularly the location of the shift key. Perhaps the Passport 2 will share the same screen but with the keyboard we're used to...
    10-19-14 11:25 AM
    I'm completely used to size of the Passport after 12 days with mine. I find it really is the perfect reading width.

I don't reach for my tablet any more when I'm in the mood to catch up on the latest tech news or get into an interesting full length article.

I also love the browser shortcuts. Love hitting the 'R' to go straight to Reader mode when I want to read an article without ads and the ability to easily adjust the font size.

The size of the keyboard is great as well. The kid in me gets excited when I line up my thumbs and get ready to type out a long text message lol. This is a stellar device. Well done BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 12:17 PM
    So update. After 3 weeks with my phone, not only am I used to the size but when I picked up my Z10 and Q10, I could not believe how small and light they were. They almost felt like dummy phones and the screens feel so small and cramped. I love everything about the Passport!

Posted via CB10
    I had the exact same feeling after just a few short hours. One you go Passport you can't go back.
    10-20-14 09:21 PM
    I am loving the screen size but I am having some trouble with the width of the device.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 09:57 PM
    I think my problem is with the width of the device and the keyboard. Of course I've only used it for about 7 hours so I'm hoping it gets better with time.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 11:07 PM
    The size is normal now, although my old Z30 feels positively alien to hold now.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 11:08 PM
    After a few hours I'm still trying to get used to it. It's big and the keyboard is really different. I'm ridiculously slow on it and my accuracy sucks. Lots of z's in my typing as I reach for the alt key. I'll get used to it I guess.

It is nice to see more of some Android apps than on my Q10. I still have a lot of love for that little beast. I'm so torn by this bloody phone. I guess it'll be a good distraction from real problems for a while.

I've got some time although there is a flood of them on Kijiji right now as all the coupon ones ship out.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 11:43 PM
72 123